I would actually disagree with Paul's comment about corridors never intersecting. I'm working in a federal courthouse right now and while there are some private elevators for judges, at least one of them comes out to the same hallway the rest do (apparently the judges can enter it underground from their parking area, so they don't have to go through security and all that jazz, but when they get to their floor, they come out same as the rest of us).

Also, while there is a direct route from the judge's chambers into the courtroom, he still enters said chambers from the same hallway as the rest of us - only his door is marked "Private" and we have to go into the clerk's office to get into his chambers.

In my courthouse, at least, the private room for the attorney is called the "Attorney Witness Room". However, I don't know if they can meet with criminal defendants there, or only civil plaintiffs/defendants/witnesses. All the criminal defendants I've seen thus far have been brought straight into the courtroom by US Marshals (again, through a "Private" door along the same hallway - in the middle of the courtroom as opposed to the public door at the back of the courtroom - all coming off the same hallway) and made to sit in the jury box. Their attorneys have talked to them there.

FWIW, this is a federal courthouse, so only federal cases are heard here. (And appeals, but my judge doesn't do those.)

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.