that would be like tossing the Christians to the lions, and I'm not a sadist.
Until this chapter, I wasn't so sure of that. grumble

I'm glad to see that Lois has stopped acting like some bad seed. I appreciate that she recognized that she was totally out of line. How 'super' of Clark to forgive her so easily.

I believe that despite her now trying to be kind, her actions have erected a wall between them. Every married woman knows when her husband is sick; they let us know, over and over. But IMHO, in addition to his wanting to appear strong, her hateful behavior has prevented his feeling close enough to her to share the true status of his health. He knows he doesn't have her love and he couldn't stand her pity.

Another thing, when Lois blurted out her fears for her 'husband', Clark was uncomfortable, unsure. He's going to be a father but he doesn't know if he'll ever be a husband.

It seems that even though Clark implies they'll still be together in 30 years he's just saying it to encourage himself, that he'll still be around in 30 years. He's not an idiot; surely he saw that she was obviously being evil to keep him from getting too close, that she had planned to leave him as soon as he was healthy. Will he ever address it?

This is so engrossing! Thank you so much for crafting this moving tale.