Julie,

If you were to write a story that we considered to be rated NC-17, you are correct that you would not be allowed to post it to our boards, since you would not be allowed access to the Nfic folder. Your options would be to post it to some other fanfic forum (like ff.net; do they still take NC-17 stories?) or to post it to your own website and advertise its existance to point people to it.

Personally (though I'm pretty sure yours was a rhetorical question and you don't have such a story), I doubt there would be much of an audience for an L&C story that was rated NC-17 for violence. IMO, overly violent stories don't fit with L&C the way they might in other fandoms (like say, Xfiles) and are rare enough that we require violence warnings on the files when we post them to the Archive (for PG-13 stories).

As for the topic itself, though, I don't have much of a preference with what we call the nfic folder -- I think the term "nfic" has been around for so long that the original definition of the "n" has lost its meaning, but if people want to rename it "Beyond PG-13" because they don't like the term "nfic", it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. But I do agree with many of the points that have been stated in this thread already, that renaming the folder would be a matter of semantics only, and that nfic-avoiders, as a rule, aren't going to visit the Nfic folder for violent or other types of NC-17 stories if they won't visit it for sexual ones. Or those that would visit would be willing to visit the folder based on word-of-mouth recommendations now anyway, and a change a name isn't going to affect their decision one way or the other.

Interesting discussion,

Kathy