Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Don't worry - both Earths are doomed anyway - they're close enough that tidal forces will cause massive earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. and eventually rip them apart. Earth is 80 times more massive than the moon, so imagine all tidal forces and effects similarly magnified on both worlds...
It looked like a doomday (no relation) type scenario to me, too. I wonder what would happen tidal etc wise if they didn't orbit around each other but stayed close in a stationary orbit around one sun? Contra-wise, what if they *did* ordbit each other in opposite directions? Or the same direction? I don't have the science brain to figure this out, but the answers would interest me. Would one Earth be destroyed before the other?

I recommend Shayne Terry's Veritas for anyone interested. I won't explain how this story might have anything to do with this thread, due to spoilers, but it's a good read. thumbsup

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.