Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#269084 02/20/16 07:48 PM
Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Anyone getting e-mail notifications? I quit getting them just over a week ago and PM'd LabRat who gave me Annette's e-mail. So I sent her a message and it bounced as the account is not valid.

Just curious is there a problem with the forums or does the forum just not like me?

Thanks

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Curious. I've set the thread to watch-mode. Did you get back to Labby about the bounced e-mail to Annette?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Now that I look, I didn't get an email notification for a PM that I was sent on the 16th. I've also had intermittent problems accessing the boards and that started last week

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Curious. I've set the thread to watch-mode. Did you get back to Labby about the bounced e-mail to Annette?

wave Michael

Michael,

I found where Labrat had misspelled Annette's username, corrected it and resent the e-mail. I have not heard anything but she could be busy or could be investigating. I will post back when she responds.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Feli,

My last e-mail update was on the 10th so it fits in the timeframe. I use the e-mail notifications (they have never been perfect) to keep me up on what is happening on the boards without having to continually hop on the boards. I know it is lazy but...

I will update this thread as the investigation progresses.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
Kerth
Agreed...I just got a PM tonight but did not get the usual email notification for it. There definitely seems to be an issue with the system.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oops - sorry about that, Mike. Glad you worked it out. Annette is definitely around because she helped me with an admin issue just the other day, so I'm sure she'll get back to you ASAP.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm looking into the issue.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I need to open a ticket with the web host. Looks like the forwarder I had set up for the boards has been deleted and it will not allow me to reset it up. Hopefully they will have this fixed soon.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The web host is still working on the issue. It looks like it's affecting all emails across all domains that I have under the master host. Hopefully, they will have this fixed as soon as they can. Thanks for being patient.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Can someone please test the PM system? I'm starting to get emails from other domains and I'd like to see if this one is fixed as well. Thanks.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I got one from VirginiaR last night at 5PM Central time.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 02/24/16 12:46 PM.

Jeremy Bentham

Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh and interestingly enough the activity on the forums has resumed. I guess we never knew how many folk depend on the e-mail notifications to keep them up to speed on postings here.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Awesome, I'm glad it's fixed. From what I was told they had to reboot the server, which caused some other issues until it was completed. I'll let them closed the ticket.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Annette,

Any idea about the links in the TOCs? I have found a format that works but am not really looking forward to fixing all of the links.

The format that most of my TOCs have worked fine until late just recently. I read a DC story using her TOC on (I believe) Monday or Tuesday and now that does not work.

thanks for your help.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not to highjack this thread, but we also got login issues again, discussed over here: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=269151#Post269151

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Mike, I wasn't aware of any issues with the TOCs I thought people were working on fixing broken links as they came across them.

Michael, I'll take a look at the thread but I'm going to say it now, if anyone is using IE that's the major problem right there.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Annette,

An example would be to look at Morgana's "Dance With Me" in the Main Forum TOC forum. The first two links are the way we (most all of us who do them) have been doing them for a long time (since the upgrade) and the last one is the way I got it work this morning when I put the last chapter in for her.

I am not the only one as DC's stories (she does her own TOCs) used the same format. At least at the first blush the problem is not spotty but pretty much every TOC. I hand fixed LLF's "Lois Lane's Secret" because Virginia sent me a PM that it did not work. I then checked virturally all of the TOCs on the front page and found that they all did not work(except those that I fixed this morning). They were created by KK, KenJ, Anti-K, groobie, Annie B., VirginiaR, NostalgiaKick, DC shallowford, and myself. Even a very old one by L. So it is not just a few of us. Some of them did work earlier this week and for sure last week (I used them as well as created them).

LabRat will tell you how much a pain it was to fix all of the broken links after the upgrade a couple of years ago. It took both of us working probably 4-5 hours a day over a week to get that fixed and as I said I (I can't speak for LabRat) am not looking forward to having to do that again.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh and BTW I am using Chrome not IE. As long as you use the Edge mode in IE11 you should probably be OK as least when I am developing Web apps at work I develop against Chrome and test against IE11 in Edge mode. There actually is a meta tag you can throw in the header of your HTML page to put IE into Edge mode automatically. It is pretty standards compliant once you do that. Now IE7/8/9/10 mode, well that is a different story.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Annette, I'm using Firefox on the desktop and IE on the phone and this shouldn't make a difference to the boards except if there is code that renders "more compatibility" markup for IE than the other browsers and suddenly decided to go crazy. And that code shouldn't even be in there any longer since no browser sine IE7 has any problems with the boards layout or features. Okay, except maybe for the rich input fields. But I think we should keep the browser discussion contained in one thread to not discuss things twice.

Regarding the TOCs, the boards now render
http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=269047#Post269047
but used to render
http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/269047#Post269047
The old link is now broken. There has got to have been a change on the server, maybe related to the reboot you mentioned that switched/broke the configuration and this likely messed up both the links and the login. I can't explain this with a client-side issue, that's got to be some server config issue. Unfortunately, I'm a .NET guy, not PHP, so I don't know UBB and can't just take a quick look to figure things out.

huh Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard