It was disheartening to be back on a world where he wore the skin of a conqueror.

Mostly his fellow Kryptonians understood he wasn’t his clone, and his withdrawal from his role and refusal to ever engage the services of a concubine made his people view him as a noble soul who had suffered greatly. Even his clone’s victims saw him in a positive light, but Kal-El did his best to avoid anyone who had suffered at his clone’s hands. He felt no need to make things worse – for either those victims or himself. He was content to live apart.

Here on Earth, he could have no such peace. He had incredibly destructive abilities, which, when coupled with the fact that he was identical to the world’s lead tormentor, meant that very few humans could interact with him without feeling absolute terror.

The scientists had started out on edge, stiff around him afraid to treat him as an equal partner in the venture to stop NightFall. But Kal-El had been humble and amiable, accepting their fear and anger, and as such, by the end of the day, people were a little more comfortable around him. The absolute terror that his approach engendered seem to decrease.

Everyone had gone to their homes for the night, leaving Kal-El, Lex and Lois the sole occupants of the bunker. Lex had food delivered, and had requested that Kal-El join them for meals. Kal-El felt strange doing so, but he knew that it was important for everyone that he not live in isolation – the more they saw of him, the more they spoke with him, the easier they would feel about his presence on earth. Truth be told, he wanted to spend time with Lois – he had missed her. He knew now that they did have a connection, and even if it could never be realized, spending even a little time with her today had felt right – if not tinged with remorse for all his clone had done to her.

“We thought you were going to stand us up,” Lex greeted him jovially as Kal-El entered the dining area. The bunker had been returned to it’s former glory – it was well furnished and luxurious. A fitting home for a wealthy man should the unthinkable happen. The dining area was welcoming and warm – and the food was already presented by attendants who had left once their task was done

“I would not do that, “ he said seriously. “You asked me to attend meals, and that I will do.”

“Is it what you want,” Lois asked him curiously, forcing herself to act normal around him. Dressed so human, he reminded her of Clark. And she missed Clark... at least the one that she had really gotten to know.

“I … am glad for the company,” he said gently.

“You lead a lonely life, “ Lois asked him, there were no barriers of polite discourse left.

“I … do not feel comfortable spending time with - the others- I feel as though I no longer really belong to that society.” His eyes grew bleak. Sometimes he wished that he had died with Krypton.

“You must feel betrayed,” Lex offered forth.

“I have mixed feelings,” he admitted. “Thus my - self imposed isolation.”

“Do you see Zara and Ching at all?”

“I do. I consider them family,” he added. “Zara and I have become friends. I think she felt guilty for not … knowing. Our friendship has helped us move past our feelings of mutual guilt.”

Lois watched him – it was obvious he was lonely. The idea left her feeling crushed somehow. If they were soulmates, she understood that this melancholy would be the result of knowing that their connection could never be fulfilled. She knew she could never be with any man, let alone a Kryptonian – let alone, Kal-El, not after what she’d been through – but still – there was a part of her that knew that the connection was there.

“Speaking of isolation, it’s just us three,” Lex said. “We are being careful to safeguard the knowledge of your presence.”

“And before you ask, I’m fine with that,” Lois said. “Lex and I are here willingly. We can leave whenever we choose, so don’t feel as though we are in prison. You on the other hand are – and for that, I’m sorry.”

“I came to Earth to help stop Nightfall. The sun lamps you provided are a good substitute for the sun.”

Lois felt a quiver of unease. That’s right. He probably was fully powered even though she had yet to see him do anything.

Kal-El caught the motion and looked briefly at her. No need to pretend like those feelings weren’t there.

“If you wish to arm yourselves with radiation emitters,” he said genty, noting that there were both unarmed, “I would understand.”

“You know this entire facility is set up so that we could take down any Kryptonian with minimal effort.”

“You must also know that I could probably remove most emitters without being seen,” he responded. “I think you know this. Therefore, I appreciate that you have some amount of faith that I won’t do it.”

“Well, to be honest, Kal-El, I don’t trust anyone,” Lex said. “So you’d be surprised... on the other hand, I actually do think you are here to help. And I have no ill intentions towards either of you, despite my doppelgangers. I have done terrible things to get to where I am – but the invasion did change me. And I guess you have to hopefully trust me on that.”

Lois, who’s heart had squeezed in her chest upon hearing Kal-El’s easily stated dismissal of the effect of emitters was still trying to regain her voice.

Last edited by L; 04/26/17 10:14 AM.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence