Thanks for your feedback on part 8.
Here goes part 9. I hope you enjoy it.
Merry Christmas.
AnnaBtG.

TOC here

From Part 8:

He arrived at the hotel and hopped up the stairs to his room. Seconds after he got there, the phone rang. He quickly picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Clark, honey, it’s me.”

“Oh, hi, mom.”

“I just finished this…” She cleared her throat. “…new piece of clothing you asked for. Will you stop by to see it?”

“Sure, mom. I’ll be right there.”

He hung up the phone and flew out of the window as quickly as he could.

Part 9:

The trip to Smallville didn’t take too long for him. He landed just outside the doorstep and walked right into the house.

“Clark!” Martha exclaimed, seeing him. “You’re already here!”

“Yes…” he said, a little worried. “Is everything all right? You sounded a bit weird on the phone.”

“No, no,” she assured him. “I just didn’t want to mention your alter ego on the phone. The hotel receptionist could be listening.”

“Oh, well. So, where is it?”

“Upstairs, in the attic. Let’s go.”

-----

“Mom, is this the best you could come up with?” an almost disgusted voice asked.

“Yes, why?”

Clark, troubled, stared at his reflection in the mirror. He was wearing a suit made in blue and red Spandex, a yellow belt, red leather boots and a red cape. Plus, a red ‘S’ in yellow background was decorating his chest.

“It’s not exactly… what I had in mind,” he finally replied.

“Why not? It’s beautiful and I think it suits you perfectly!”

“Mom, it’s *tight*!” he almost whispered.

“Yes, this way it’ll cut down on wind resistance.”

“But it’s *tight*.”

“Don’t tell me you feel uncomfortable in it!” Martha exclaimed, not quite understanding her son’s point.

“Not uncomfortable, but… *uncomfortable*,” he said.

Finally understanding, Martha nodded. “Oh…” She then shook her head. “Never mind.”

“Mom!”

“But look at yourself! You’re gorgeous, women will be dying to see you!”

“Mom, I’m not looking for a woman! I already have one!”

Martha turned to him, with a wide smile spread upon her face. “What?”

“Yes…” Clark admitted, blushing. “This woman I told you about, Lois… we are together since… a few hours ago.”

“Honey, that’s wonderful!” Martha hugged him. “Congratulations!”

“Okay, okay, mom,” he said, gently trying to push her back, “but this is not the point now. I can’t go out like this! Can’t you make something else? Something less… shiny, and not so tight?”

“Honey, you’re gonna make a heroic ego. You need something impressive, like this.”

“Mom, I feel naked in this thing!”

“No, no, no, I disagree.” She lowered her voice a little. “Although, after seeing you in this costume, many women would like to see you naked too…”

“Mom!!”

Martha laughed.

“And what’s this ‘S’ here?” Clark asked.

“Hadn’t you seen it before? It was drawn on the space ship we found you in, and on your blanket… It must’ve been something like an emblem.”

“Anyway, I’m not going to wear it.”

“Let’s see what your father’s gonna say.” She walked to the stairs. “Jonathan! Come here for a second!”

Jonathan joined them in a minute. “What is it, Martha?”

“How d’you like Clark’s new suit?”

Jonathan examined Clark carefully. “That’s the suit you were working on?” he finally asked his wife, not taking his eyes off Clark. “It suits him perfectly.”

“Dad!” Clark desperately said.

“What, son? You look very good in this.”

Clark sighed. “Isn’t it… *too good*?”

“No, no, son… You have a nice body, this is not a crime. Besides, this suit covers everything.”

“Fine…” He let another sigh go. “And what about the head?” he asked his mother.

“What about the head?” she repeated.

“I need something for my head. Otherwise, they’ll recognize me.”

“No, they won’t,” Martha said, matter-of-factly. “Just take off your glasses.”

He did, and stared back at the mirror. “It’s still very me,” he commented.

“Try slicking your hair back.”

He did. “Better. But anyone observant would recognize me.”

“No, I don’t think so. Only if they suspected it’s you, something you must make sure won’t happen, or if they see you and your alter ego at the same time, which is impossible.”

“Mom,” he said, frustrated, “what’s so wrong with me using a mask?”

“Why cover your face? You’re a very handsome man.”

“Mom…”

“Didn’t you say your uniform is tight?” Martha cut him in mid-sentence.

“Yes…” Clark replied, not understanding her point.

“So what makes you think your face is what they’d be looking at?”

“MOM!!”

She gave him an evil smile. “Well, they don't call them tights for nothing.” She then wore a more serious look in an attempt to reassure Clark, who was staring at himself in silent horror. “Trust me, honey, no one’s going to recognize you. Jonathan, what do you think?”

“I think it’s fine,” Jonathan simply said.

“All right…” Clark sighed.

“Now, honey, how about going out and let the world know who’s here?”

“Who’s here?” he asked.

“You!” Martha answered his question, quite surprised.

“No! I mean, what’s my name? I need a name.”

Martha thought for a minute. “It should begin with an ‘S’, like the one on your suit.”

Silence fell in the room.

“How about ‘Superman’?” Martha proposed at last.

“No, mom, no!” Clark objected.

“Why not?”

“It is too…” Clark searched for the right word. “…much,” he finally said.

“I think it suits you fine.”

Clark shook his head and his shoulders nervously. “Mom…”

“Okay, then, you know what? Go out without a name. Let people name you.”

“Dad, why aren’t you saying something?” Clark whined.

“What should I say? I agree with your mom.”

“Fine,” Clark grumbled. “Then maybe I should go. I need to get back to Metropolis.”

“Stop grumbling, Clark, it’ll be fine. Come on, my boy,” she said, making him lower his head and kissing his forehead, “go, and do your best.”

“Yes, mom,” he smiled.

“Be careful, son,” his father said.

“I will. Goodbye.”

He walked down the stairs and left the farmhouse, leaving his parents in the attic.

“So, what do you think?” Martha asked Jonathan.

“I’m worried,” he replied. “It’ll be difficult for him.”

“Our boy will make it, Jonathan,” she said, falling on his shoulder. “Oh!” she then exclaimed. “I forgot! Lois Lane is his girlfriend now!”

“Is she?” Jonathan admired. “Good.”

They remained silent for a moment. “His future will be brilliant, Martha,” Jonathan said. “He is special.”

“Yes…” she just said, with eyes sparkling of hope. She knew her son was special. And she knew he was going to make a wonderful man.

-----

Lois was walking in Suicide Slum, making sure that she wasn’t making any noises and that nobody was following her. It was already dark, and that was helping her quite a lot, but was also putting her in bigger danger.

Finally, reaching a dead-end’s corner, she found what she was looking for.

Not far away from her, two men dressed in black were standing, talking in a low voice and exchanging things.

She carefully took a few steps towards them, but then one of them turned around and saw her.

“Get her!” he yelled, and both men started to run towards her direction. She turned around and started to run, horrified, wishing she’d manage to get away from them.

A blue and red blur made its way toward her, took her in its arms and slowly flew, until it found a place where she would be safe.

“What’s going on?” Lois asked, finding her breath, after the man gently landed in a nearby alley.

“It’s all right, I want to help you…” he said.

Lois looked up at him. Their faces were close, and they were right under a lamp, which was lighting its surroundings. After a second, she stepped back. “Oh my God, Clark!!” she shrieked.

He looked around, anxious, then put his forefinger in front of his mouth and whispered: “Shhh! Wait a few minutes, I’ll be right back.”

Astonished, she watched him fly away. She couldn’t quite see what was going on, but it seemed as if he was grabbing these guys and then take them flying with him. She stared at the sky, where they had disappeared, wondering what was happening.

She decided to stay there for a few minutes, waiting for him. If he didn’t show up, she’d go back home.

He showed up about two minutes later. Seeing him, she stepped back, still amazed, but scared, too. Her heart was beating quickly. “What… happened?” she asked.

“I took them to the police. They were doing drug merchandise,” he explained.

“No, I mean… what… *happened*…” she said, almost trembling. “How did you…”

“Lois, let me take you home, and I’ll tell you there.”

She gazed into his eyes, and found honesty there. She had no reason to be afraid.

“Okay…”

He cradled her in his arms, and she instinctively put her arms around his neck. He then took off, heading to her apartment.

-----

Clark was very anxious, during their flight to her place. He could hear her rising heartbeat and feel her nervousness, and wondered what she was thinking.

But what was coming next for him was also frightening. It was only his debut, and Lois had recognized him. What was next? ‘Clark Kent miraculously arrests drug-dealers’ printed in capital letters on the Planet’s morning edition?

He found the window of her apartment. It was closed, but not locked, and it opened with just one gentle push. He then flew in, and let her down. She walked to the wall, turned on the lights, then took a few steps closer and stared at him. He could almost see the questions overflowing her mind.

“What… are you?” she finally asked.

He stared at the carpet, feeling uneasiness. “I’m an alien,” he finally replied.

“WHAT?!”

“Lois, please,” he begged, as she was getting more far away from him. “I can explain…”

She took a few deep breaths. “Sit down,” she said, pointing at the couch, “and tell me what’s going on.”

He obeyed. “Look, Lois,” he then started, “I came from another planet with a spacecraft, when I was a baby. My parents… well, the Kents, found me and raised me as their son. I’ve been having these strange abilities for many years, and thought I could do something with them, help people and stuff. I’ve been doing it in secrecy for all this years, and now I thought I could create an alter ego and do it in public.” He sighed. “But you figured me out.”

She breathed. “So you’re trying to be… good?”

“Good and helpful, yes.”

“How did you find me?”

“I had visited my parents in Smallville, and was coming back here. I heard this man yelling and then saw you running. I had to save you.”

“Thank you,” she said. “But how did you see me?”

“My strange abilities include excellent vision. More than excellent,” he shyly explained.

“The altered paper…” she said to herself.

“Yes, that was it. And the strength I used to drag you back on the sidewalk, remember?”

“Yes…”

“I did it almost effortlessly.”

“I can’t believe it,” she said in a low voice. “I mean, I can, but…” She began pacing nervously around the room. “Why did you do it?” she finally asked. “Why did you decide to be Clark Kent *and*…this thing? I mean, why being just an ordinary guy, when you can be so special?”

“Lois, some people would think it would be great to be like me. But I swear, I’d rather not have these abilities.”

“Why?” she asked in amazement.

“Because I have to be hiding all the time. Only my parents know about me… and now, you.”

“But why hiding?” she insisted.

“You don’t understand…” he sighed. “I want to have a normal life. A job, a home, a family…” He gulped and turned to her. He saw her looking at him, not in anger or annoyance, not even fear anymore. The look in his eyes was a question. Somewhat calmer, he went on. “If everyone knew that Clark Kent can fly, or bend iron with his fingers, or light a fire with his eyes…”

“You can do that, too?” she cut him, astonished.

“Yes. Well, if people knew that, I wouldn’t be able to have a normal life. Any sort of people would follow me. Fans, groupies, scientists who’d like to examine me, bad guys who’d like to hurt me… I wouldn’t know whom to trust, if someone wanted me as a friend because of me or because of my fame and abilities, or if the woman I was with loved me because of my heart, and not because I could bring her Chinese from Shanghai if she asked me to…” his voice trailed off, as he turned his eyes back to the floor.

Lois knelt in front him, and he turned up to her. Tears were sparkling in her eyes, tears of happiness. “You wanted me to love you because you’re a nice man, and not because you’re so special?” she asked, a lump in her throat choking her.

“…Yes,” Clark admitted.

Lois grabbed his hands with hers and rested her cheek on them. “Oh, Clark, you’re so sweet…” The lump had now become more tears, wetting her face and their hands.

Clark, feeling her cry, pulled his hands off hers, making her turn to him. “Are you crying, Lois?”

“Happiness,” she explained. “And emotion… I can’t believe you did that.” She swallowed hard. “I’ve met many men in my life, and they all were stupid, selfish pigs!” She shouted out loud the last three words, as she remembered the fury and pain she had been through in the past. “But you…” Her voice softened again. “…You are so sweet, and loving… Your heart is so kind, and I… I feel so lucky that you love me.”

Clark helped her rise and sit on his knees. She fell on his chest, letting out a sigh. Clark timidly rubbed her hair. “You’re not angry at me, are you?”

She turned up to him. “You mean for not telling me your secret?”

“Yes.”

She rested her head on his shoulder. “I am a little angry, but I understand. I know that we don’t really know each other, and you couldn’t tell me something so important before making sure you could trust me. Besides, if that was your way of getting a woman to love you…” She kissed his cheek. “…it worked.”

He turned to her, and saw her big smile of joy. “You still love me?” he asked.

“Yes,” she simply replied.

They closed their eyes and surrendered in the sweet feeling of a tender kiss. Their lips were gently touching, in a way that only made them want more. Playful bites followed, and their tongues were caressing the other’s lips. They enjoyed one another like this for a while, until their kiss broke.

“Oh, Clark,” Lois whispered. Her heart was jumping and she was breathing fast.

“I love you, Lois,” Clark whispered, the same excitement running all over him. “I love you, and I always will.”

“I love you too, Clark.”

They kissed again, passionately, insatiably, and endlessly.

-----

A while later, they were lying on the couch, breathless, but happy. The same pleasure was written on their faces, as they were gazing into each other’s eyes.

“Your couch is uncomfortable, you know that?” Clark joked.

Lois playfully punched him on the chest, giggling.

“I’m not kidding!” he said, trying hard not to laugh too.

“I know…” she said, taking big breaths to help her control her laughter. “Maybe you should take us someplace else,” she sad, false-seriously.

“Like?” he asked, mimicking her tone.

“You know, ‘Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars…’” she sang.

“Let’s stay on Earth for the moment, because there’s something I want us to discuss,” he said nervously, avoiding her gaze.

Lois turned serious. “What?”

“Look, I thought that this suit would prevent people from recognizing me, but you recognized me from the first moment,” he said. “Do you think that I should abandon the idea…”

“Oh, no, of course not!” Lois reassured him, caressing his cheek. “I only recognized you because I saw your face from this close. When we are like this, the face looks the same, no matter whether you’re wearing glasses or not, and don’t forget that I’m the only one who has the right of seeing your face from such a short distance.” She gave him a brief kiss, and saw that he was somewhat calmer now. “But no one else will recognize your face. In this suit?” She shook her head. “Certainly not.”

Clark sighed. “Thank you.”

“Now, do me a favor, please.”

“What?”

“Wear your normal clothes. Seeing you in this thing makes you look like a stranger.”

He rose. “I have to find a way to do this…” he murmured, looking at himself. Then, he spun around and seconds later appeared in his Clark clothes.

“Wow!” Lois exclaimed in astonishment.

“There are many things you don’t know about me,” Clark said mischievously, winking at her.

“Oh, really? I’d love to find them out,” she replied in the same tone.

He sat beside her. “Now, how about some Chinese from Shanghai?”

“Oh, no, you don’t need to go there, I’ve had dinner already,” Lois said, unwilling to let him leave her even for a minute.

“I was thinking of ‘getting us’ there.”

“Oh.” Lois stared at him for a second, pleasantly surprised. “Okay, then.”

He spun in his Superman suit again, took her in his arms and together they flew away.

-----

About a couple of hours later, they returned in Lois’s apartment.

“All right, now, let’s get to work,” Lois said, once she stepped on the floor.

“Work?” Clark asked, confused.

“Of course! We have to write the article on the drug dealers and on your hero’s first appearance.”

“Oh, right! Just let me do it, it’ll only take a few seconds.”

“No!” Lois objected. “*I*’ll do it.”

“How about you dictate, and I type?”

“Sounds good,” she said. “Wait here, I’ll bring you my laptop.”

Clark sat on the couch, while she went to her bedroom, took the laptop and brought it in the living room. She gave it to Clark, who put it on his laps and turned it on.

Lois concentrated for a second, then began dictating him: “Title: ‘Superhero arrests drug dealers’.”

-----

After they were finished, Clark saved the file.

“Great,” Lois said. “Now, the next one. ‘The Metropolis’s new defender.’ You’re gonna give me an interview.”

“Interview?” Clark asked, feeling uneasiness in the thought.

“Of course! Come on, start writing. ‘First of all, sir, who are you?’.”

He typed it, and then answered Lois’s question. “A friend.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “This doesn’t work. Re-write the question. ‘First of all, sir, what is your name?’”

“Lois, I only have one name, and that I can’t give to the public!”

Lois sighed. “Clark, work with me! The topic of this interview can’t only be your name! Re-re-write the question. ‘What does the ‘S’ on your chest stand for?’”

“Lois, I don’t know!” he exclaimed.

“Oh, Clark…” She rolled her eyes, frustrated. “Re-re-re-write it. ‘You have an ‘S’ on your chest. May I call you…” She paused for a few moments, thinking. “…Superman?”

“Oh, no,” he said in despair.

“Why not?!” she irritatedly asked, attempting to swallow the urge to strangle him.

“My mother proposed me the same thing. But I don’t think it is a good idea. It’s too egoistical.”

Calming down, Lois shook her head. “No, no, it’s not. Type your answer: ‘If you want to.’”

“I don’t want to,” he sheepishly said.

“Nice try,” she commented in annoyance. “Just type it.”

Clearly unpleased, he typed in super speed and then let Lois have a look to what he had written.

‘L.L.: You have an ‘S’ on your chest. May I call you Superman?
S.: If you want to.’

“That’s it,” she said approvingly. He just stared at the screen, disappointed.

“Oh, take this look off your face!” she said. “Come on, we’re moving on. ‘So, Superman, are you intending to fight crime and defend justice?’ And this is not a ‘yes or no’ question.”

Clark sighed. This interview was going to be long.

-----

After they finished the interview, Clark took Lois to where he had arrested the drug dealers and Lois took a few pictures of him in the Suit. Then, he dropped her home and asked her to get some sleep, for it was past midnight and they’d have to be at the Planet early the following day, in order to have the article and the photos in the morning edition. She yawned in agreement and he left to quickly return to his hotel.

He was now lying on his bed, thinking. His alter ego, Superman, had made his debut tonight. A rather quiet debut, indeed, but one that tomorrow would be front-page news in the Daily Planet, the biggest newspaper in Metropolis.

His life would be different from now on.

Closing his eyes, he hoped it would be for the best.

-End of part 9-

What we've got here is failure to communicate...