Sometimes Things Should Be Left Well Enough Alone.
by Tank Wilson - Style Consultant for the Daily Planet.

Lois was depressed. Clark walked next to her, his arm around her shoulder as the partners in work, and life, made their way back to the Daily Planet. She was returning from one of the worst assignments in her career. At first, Lois had balked at being the one who had to cover the final resolution of the sordid affair but relented when she thought about it. She just couldn't let anyone else be the one to write up those final moments. Moments that had ended the life of a friend of hers.

Clark hadn't been able to accompany her to New Troy State Prison, but he'd been there when she'd come out. Being a witness to an execution was, at best, an unpleasant situation, but when it was a former friend of yours who was the one executed, it was torture. Lois had to sit quietly, tears rolling down her cheeks, as Jimmy Olsen was electrocuted by the penal system of New Troy.

"I still don't understand it?" Lois moaned as she and Clark entered the newsroom floor. "Why would Jimmy do such a thing? I knew he was sweet on that new intern. And he was upset by the haircut Lucy gave her, but why attack Wilson." Lois shook her head sadly. "It just doesn't make sense."

Clark sighed. "Who knows? He must have suffered some sort of break down." Clark sat on the corner of Lois' desk as she wearily slumped into her chair. "What ever happened to that intern? What was her name?"

"Kaethel." Lois grabbed Clark's hand for support. "She was given twenty years without bail, as an accomplice."

Clark shook his head. "The weird part is, Jimmy might have gotten away with it if Superman hadn't gotten back early from that earthquake. Turns out it wasn't as bad as originally thought."

"Yeah," Lois sighed. "He found Wilson's body and used his super breath to freeze the body, then took it to Professor Hamilton. Luckily Hamilton was able to use his process to clone a new Wilson."

Clark gave Lois' hand a squeeze. "But that sealed Jimmy's fate. Wilson was able to identify Jimmy as the one who had murdered him, and when Henderson went to Jimmy's apartment, he found the axe which still had Wilson's blood on it."

A few more tears slid from Lois' eyes. "And when confronted with the evidence, Jimmy confessed." She laid her head against Clark's large hand. "Why, Clark? Why would Jimmy do it? Wilson's just a darn nice guy. Why would anyone want to hurt him?"

"I don't know." Clark fingered soft, short ends of Lois' new layered hairstyle. "I was skeptical, but he was sure right about you. You do look terrific in short hair."

Lois was able to smile through her tears. "Yeah, I really like it too. I don't think I'll ever let it get long again."

Clark placed his finger under Lois' chin and tilted her head toward his. Leaning in, he captured her lips with his own. It was a kiss of comfort and compassion. He was telling her that she wasn't suffering alone, and that he would always be there for her. They had both lost a friend that day, but they still had each other, and they would find away to carry on.

fin.