Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, after Tank decided that there was something even more fun than cutting Lois's hair (which was to slaughter my own hair razz ), I told him that my revenge would be terrible, worse than he could even imagine. One suggestion from Wendy was enough to set off the Muse, so here is...

~ A Proportionate Response ~
By the Red-Haired Maniac evil

ps: The title is from a West Wing episode that I particularly enjoyed, but has nothing to do with the story above. Still, I couldn't resist adding a little hint to my latest favourite show wink

Last edited by LabRat; 05/11/14 08:51 AM.

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm confused. There is no link to a story here. Where is the story?
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
The post is also nearly 11 years old ... see the post date of November 1, 2003!

Did it pop to the top on its own, or perhaps as part of the board upgrade? I see it was edited today by Labby. Maybe that's what brought it up.

Hmm, I went to the archive to see if I could link to the story from there, but I can't find it. Curious and curiouser!

Last edited by KathyB; 05/11/14 08:32 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It appears that the other two links on the TOC which Labby did indeed update and fix broken links on, do include stories. I'm not quite sure what this particular thread goes to, but it seems to be a response to the other two story threads included on the TOC.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, that's odd. This is the link that the search engine brings up as the story post. I just found it, clicked to copy the link and replaced it in the TOC.

I'll do a small bit of searching around, see if I can track down the real story post - if it even exists - and replace it, but to be honest, I have a very large list of links to be fixed sitting waiting for me today, so I just don't have a lot of time to work on this. It may have to wait till later. Or, if someone else tracks it down I'll replace it then.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/12/14 07:13 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
LabRat, Datasprite12 already tracked it down and posted it in another FDK thread. it is http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2003/bozo.txt.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Lynn, but I mean the link to it here on the mbs. I guess the Archive link is a good secondbest if we can't track it down. At least where there's a series of stories in the one TOC. I'll put this into the TOC for the time being.

Aha! And the Archive story at least tells me that the Tank 'insult' that started the story series wasn't a story at all, but just a throwaway comment at the end of an entirely different one. So I can resurrect that, I think and add the link to the TOC. One mystery solved. Next! <g>

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/12/14 09:29 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I guess I need help on how to use the search feature. I tried finding "A Proportionate Response" and my own "Nighttime in the Daytime" and can't get any results. As I recall you did the Nighttime TOC for me and spelled "Nighttime" different than I did.
help
Artemis

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
O.K. I broke the code and found "All the Daytime and the Nighttime" and "Nighttime in the Daytime" and the links seem to be O.K. I did not check them all.
New problem - in the story body all the words "the" and "all" are highlighted in yellow. Since this is a very common word it is also very annoying to read anything. Do I need a ticket for this?
regards
Artemis

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Artemis
O.K. I broke the code and found "All the Daytime and the Nighttime" and "Nighttime in the Daytime" and the links seem to be O.K. I did not check them all.
New problem - in the story body all the words "the" and "all" are highlighted in yellow. Since this is a very common word it is also very annoying to read anything. Do I need a ticket for this?
regards
Artemis

Artemis,

The way the search works it highlights the words of the search terms (especially if you did not put the words in quotes) in the article when you access via the search link. I believe that if you access via the TOC links it will not have those highlights. Of course we are all groping around trying to figure out the new system crazy

Try to access the article without using the search and see if the words are still highlighted. I always convert the url by taking the article number from the search url and adding it to the following:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/

Just put the number of the article at the end of the above url and it will go there directly and not highlight any text.

HTH,

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, Artemis. You'll probably find that some of your links include the search engine data. You need to delete everything in the link between Searchpage and up to the square bracket after the number. Once you do that, it should lose the yellow. I'll try and find an example for you.

Okay, I've checked your TOCs and this doesn't seem to be your issue. So you might want to try Mike's fix instead. But just for future reference, here's the other reason you'll find yellow highlights in your story:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/128360/Searchpage/1/Main/21441/Words/%2B%22evil+villain+plan+%2321%22/Search/true/Evil_Villain_Plan_#21#Post128360]Complete Vignette

You need to delete the text in bold to clear the yellow.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/12/14 02:47 PM.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Mike. I went back and found the real story and it does not highlight those words. And I didn't put the title in quotes because we didn't have to do it that way before. But why just those words? I can't paste a screen capture, but it is just "the" and "and", not the other words in the title.
help
Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard