So... this is done... as in... done... But I'm still debating the posting schedule. Cuz I'm writing in November for Nano, but not fic... OF and if I post twice a week then... well you know wink . FDK junkie =D.

Last time

Lois pushed away from the counter. "Great," she muttered. "I married a man who isn't a killer and that's going to get him killed." She dug another package of chicken out of the freezer and tossed it on the counter. "Thaw that, would ya?"

Clark turned and rested her hands on his shoulders. "What's going on?"

She turned to face him, wrapping her arms around him before resting her head on his chest. "I'm cooking, baking, whatever. Trying to keep my mind off Ching killing you." She held him tightly as his arms wrapped more securely around her. "I'm scared, Clark," she whispered.

"I know, honey." He pressed a kiss against her hair. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

A throat cleared behind them and they turned to see Trey shifting uncomfortably. "It's time," he told them. "They are waiting."

*~*25*~*

Trey ordered the mother ship to transport all of the Kryptonians to the location of the meeting.

Clark was surprised when they reappeared in front of the Daily Planet building, though on second thought, it probably shouldn't have surprised him. Lois had, reluctantly, agreed that being in public as the Earth wife of Superman or Lord Kal-El wasn't a good idea so she'd stayed at the house in Pittsdale. Clark held out little hope that she'd actually stay there until it was all resolved.

A quick scan of the building showed that Ching and Zara – along with a few of their followers – were holding a numbers of his coworkers hostage.

Clark sighed internally as the men of the Council fell in behind him in a V formation – his cape billowing him as he strode towards the Daily Planet building. He paused before entering, instead lifting into the air. The others followed suit and they entered the newsroom through the large windows above the bullpen – the elevator wouldn't have had quite the same effect.

He felt fury rise inside him when he saw Ching strike Eduardo, sending him flying across the conference room while still tied to his seat.

"Ching!" he yelled. "Your quarrel is with me, not the people of this planet."

Ching appeared in front of him with a whoosh, Drei in hand. "Then you I will fight."

"I don't want to fight you," Superman told him. "I want you to submit to the laws of your planet, whatever they may be."

"And have my molecules spread across the galaxies? I think not, Lord Kal-El." He twirled the Drei in his hand. "So will you fight me or abdicate your position as ruler of Krypton to Lady Zara before she annexes Earth as a new colony of Krypton?"

Superman's face was grim. "I will defend my people."

"Which people, *Superman*? The weak Earthlings or the people of your birth?" He continued to twirl the Drei lightly.

"Both."

"I'm glad to hear that." Ching struck at him with the Drei only to find himself blocked by the Drei of Lord Nor.

"There has been a meeting of the Council called," Lord Nor told him. "You are not required to attend, *Lieutenant* Ching. You are not a member of the Council and Lady Zara has no need of a body guard."

"You are not in charge, brother." Zara appeared at Ching's side.

"Neither are you," Nor reminded her. "You become First Lady *only* upon your official marriage to Lord Kal-El."

"And as the birth wife of the next First Lord, it is my prerogative under the law to have a
body guard present at all times," Zara reminded him. "Would you disregard the law?"

"I will personally guarantee your safety, Lady Zara," Jen-Mai said from behind Clark.

"The body guard is one of *my* choosing and I choose Lt. Ching, Lord Jen." She spoke as one used to having those around her acquiesce to her every whim.

Lord Trey nodded. "Very well. We shall begin the meeting momentarily." He turned to Clark. "Milord, may you suggest an appropriate location?"

Clark looked around. "Mr. White," he called.

Perry looked up from where he was being held just outside the conference room full of hostages. "Yes, Superman?"

"May we use your office, sir?"

"Long as it's intact when you're done," Perry said, looking at the mess in the newsroom.

"You have my word." Clark led the rest of the group towards the editor's office, landing lightly just outside the door.

A moment later, the door was shut.

Ching stood slightly behind Zara, who was seated in an office chair near the door to the conference room. Lord Trey took the spot behind the desk and the rest of those present took places in front of chairs or the couch, waiting for a signal to be seated. Clark was a bit surprised when Trey motioned for him to sit next to the desk – given the meeting at the house and their deference to him, he would have expected to sit behind the desk – but Trey was the one who was actually running the meeting. It didn't really *matter* to him, he was just struggling to figure out Kryptonian protocol and when they kept changing things... He sighed. Hopefully, they wouldn't be around long enough for him to figure it out.

Clark sighed and struggled not to roll his eyes as he realized they were waiting on him. He took a seat in the chair next to Perry's desk. "Please, be seated." He managed to keep the irritation out of his voice. "Lord Trey, would you please conduct this meeting of the Ruling Council?"

"As you request, Lord Kal-El." Trey looked around for a second before using Perry's nameplate as a gavel. "This meeting of the Ruling Council will come to order. Lord Kal-El, it is our understanding that you wish to renounce your marriage to Lady Zara and abdicate your position as First Lord of Krypton and that your marriage to your lady took place before the arrival of your birth wife on this planet."

"That is correct," Clark told those assembled.

"You understand that in doing so, you relinquish all rights to the throne of Krypton for yourself and all future generations of the El family to Lord Nor and his offspring?"

"Yes, Lord Trey. I understand the ramifications."

Trey nodded. "Then it is the ruling of this Council..."

Zara stood suddenly. "Lord Trey, Lord Kal-El cannot renounce his marriage to me with pending charges."

"What charges?"

"Abandonment."

"Excuse me?" Clark asked with one brow raised. "I didn't even know you *existed*..."

"Lord Kal," Trey interrupted. "We are all aware that this is your first Council meeting. I must ask you to refrain from speaking until I ask you to, now that charges have been presented by Lady Zara."

"My apologies, Lord Trey," Clark said, once again stifling a sigh.

"Lady Zara, what proof do you have of these charges? The dates Lord Kal-El has provided us with indicated that his marriage to his lady took place prior to your arrival."

"One of my men provided us a copy of their marriage certificate. While it is true that the official date of the marriage was prior to my arrival, the papers indicate that Lord Kal-El and his... *lady* took advantage of an obscure law in the county in which she resided. The papers were not filled out, filed and made official until *after* my arrival. They knew this and have continued to mislead the Council about the true date of their decision to marry." Zara sat back down in her seat.

"Is this true, Lord Kal-El?" Trey asked.

Clark hesitated. "To an extent, Lord Trey."

"Please explain."

"While the timeline Lady Zara has given is correct, there was no intent to deceive. The official date of our marriage is the one I have provided you with."

"And the consummation?" Zara asked him.

"Lady Zara," Trey snapped. "You know well the procedures of Council meetings and you will be granted no more leniency for breaking them."

Zara simply glared at him.

Trey sighed. "She does bring up a valid point, however. Milord, the date of consummation?"

Clark sighed. "The same day we filled out the paperwork, perhaps early the next morning as I was called to assist at a train derailment when we arrived home."

"Then we have a quandary," Trey said, letting out a long breath.

"There is no quandary, Lord Trey. The charge of abandonment must be upheld and since Lord Kal-El has abdicated his position, as his birth wife, I am entitled to remain as First Lady."

"But even though you were here, I had no idea who you were," Clark interjected. "You were Sarah, the researcher, not Zara the Kryptonian until yesterday. How was I supposed to know?"

Zara just glared at him.

"Lord Kal-El raises a good point," Trey admitted wearily.

"And you and Ching tried to kill me, my friends, my *wife*, and half the city," Clark continued as though Trey had no spoken.

"It is of no consequence whether he knew who I was or not. Not under Kryptonian law," Zara said defiantly.

Trey closed his eyes for a long moment. "Unfortunately, she is correct. It is the ruling of the Council that..."

TBC