Here we go smile .

Thanks again to Kathy! And to Tricia who has nothing to do with BIII but who sent the final version of OTOH to Labby for uploading and who put up with me while I continually edited it even more [including adding another 250 words last week :p ] but it's as *done* as it's going to get...

Anyway... Hoping this is almost done and will start posting faster once it is. Think I probably have 2-3 chapters left to write but am not sure yet.

So... here tis smile .

Last time

"So either we believe you and Zara wants to take over Earth or we believe her and you will. Either way, Earth is in the cross hairs and there's nothing we can do to prevent it, is there?" Clark asked him.

"Milord, there is something that can be done, but I hesitate to mention it because of the potential consequences."

"What's that?" Lois asked. "Divorce me and marry Zara?"

Nor shook his head. "Fight Ching."

Clark took a deep breath and blew it out slowly. "I guess I could do that," he said uncertainly.

Nor continued grimly. "A fight to the death."

*~*22*~*

"What?!" the four of them exclaimed in unison.

Lois and Clark looked at each other as they stood in his grandfather’s house. After hearing everything Nor had to say, they knew they needed to discuss the situation with their families. Clark had flown to Kansas to pick up the Kents and now Martha, along with the Lanes, were standing in Nate’s kitchen. Jonathan had been in town already – Clark would try to pick him up later.

They moved into the living room. Sam and Ellen sat on the loveseat, Gramps in one of the chairs, and Martha joined Lois and Clark on the couch.

"This Nor guy, who last night we were told was an evil despot, showed up after we left and told you you'll have to fight Ching to the death?" Sam continued skeptically.

Clark nodded. "According to him Zara's the bad guy and my birth marriage to her is void since Lois and I were technically married before Zara showed up."

"Well, Zara told us that last night, didn't she?" Ellen asked from her seat next to Sam. She was gripping his hand tightly as they struggled to come to terms with all of the new information.

Clark shook his head. "No. She said I had the *option* to void the marriage, *if* the Council – whoever they are – approved, and that it was likely that they wouldn't approve it since that would mean Lord Nor would take over."

"But Nor said that Zara killed their father and would likely kill Clark once the marriage and their takeover of the planet was formalized," Lois told them with a frown.

"What?!" the four of them exclaimed in unison again.

"She needs Clark to become Queen of all New Krypton or whatever it is they call her and then she can rule by herself," Lois continued. "According to Nor, she killed DaddyDearest once they figured out where Clark landed. The Council would never fund a trip to Earth unless absolutely and having no Supreme Ruler kind of fits that bill."

"Wait." Gramps shook his head. "The line of succession goes through Clark and his birth wife, Zara. So if Zara is unable to take the throne because Clark isn't there, it passes to Zara's brother, right?"

Lois and Clark both nodded.

"Why not one of Clark's family members?"

"I'm the last member of my family," Clark told them quietly. "Jor-El and Lara were both only children."

"So that's why her father was running things? Because he was her male kin and she's your birth wife?" Gramps clarified.

"I guess," Clark answered with a shrug.

"So Nor says you have to fight Ching to the death and officially abdicate, which is just a formality, and then they'll leave and you're free to live your life?" Sam let go of Ellen's hand and put his arm around her.

"Well, yeah, but the question remains, who do we believe? Nor or Zara? Zara and Ching have done nothing but put people's lives in danger since they got here. They said Nor is evil. Nor says they're evil and that they'll want to take over Earth as soon as Zara's rule is secure." Clark's arm rested on the back of the couch, his fingers gently massaging Lois' neck as he spoke.

"Nor was polite, though. He apologized for Zara and Ching's actions," Lois pointed out. "I don't know why but I'm inclined to believe him over the two nutcases."

"He *did* say that the Council would consider my marriage to Zara still valid if I divorced Lois, but that's not happening.

"What if you just go before this Council, or have them come here, and abdicated? Renounce your marriage to Zara and let them deal with it?" Martha asked.

"Ching has Kryptonite," Lois reminded them. "And if Nor's right, who's to say they have any scruples and wouldn't just take over Earth or New Krypton regardless?"

Clark's arm slid all the way around her shoulders. "*If* we believe Nor, I wouldn't put it past Ching to go after all of you guys to get to me if he had to. And if he has Kryptonite, who's to say if I could protect you? Or that they wouldn't use it and kidnap me? Then take all of you to force me to go through with it?"

"Of course, this Nor guy could be using you to kill Ching," Gramps pointed out. "To eliminate one of his problems."

"That thought occurred to us, too." Clark ran his free hand through his hair. "But how do we know who's telling the truth? And that's assuming that one of them is. For all we know, they're both evil."

"It's possible," Sam conceded. "But until then, there's superpowered bad guys out there who, for all we know, are planning on taking over the Earth. Heck, they may be working together."

"I assure you that is not the case."

All five of them stood to face the newcomer who suddenly appeared in their midst.

"You!" Lois and Clark exclaimed in unison.

"What are you doing here?" Clark continued, putting himself closest to the intruder.

The other man bowed slightly in Clark's direction. "Milord, I have received word that Lady Zara and Lt. Ching are planning something. I do not know what at this point, but something that will threaten both you and your family. With your permission, members of the Council would like to have a word with you."

Clark crossed his arms in front of him. "Why?"

"If you are not going to come to Krypton, you must abdicate officially. I fear, as does the Council, that Lady Zara and Lt. Ching will not give up so easily and we may well need your help stopping them. With your approval, milord, the Council would like to convene a meeting with you as soon as possible."

Clark nodded cautiously. "Where would this meeting take place?"

Lord Nor hesitated. "The safest place would be the floating palace. I understand your concern for your family and they could be transported there as well. However, the Council and I also understand your probable reluctance to go to an orbiting space craft and they would gladly come here or another location of your choosing."

"Lois will be present?"

"Anyone you wish, milord. You are the next First Lord of Krypton until the abdication is official. As such, your word carries much weight."

"Can you give us an hour and then contact me?" Clark asked after a long moment of thought. "I have some things I need to take care of and then we can set up a meeting place."

Lord Nor bowed again. "As you wish, milord."

He touched the mass of computer chips on his left shoulder, seemingly entering a combination or command of some sort. A moment later, he nodded his head towards them and vanished.

"Well, that was interesting," Sam said after a moment of stunned silence.

"I think I understand why you think you trust him more," Ellen added. "He was certainly polite and his tone was much more apologetic than those other two last night."

Clark rubbed the back of his neck with one hand. "What do you guys think? Meet with them somewhere neutral? I'd like you guys to be there for advice, though I'm not sure about putting all of you in danger like that." He started pacing. "And really, I'd kind of like Perry there – I mean, he's one of the best judges of character I know. He knows snake oil from shinola. He's told me that enough times, but just show up in his office and say 'Hi, Perry. Here's some aliens. Think we could use the conference room?'"

"Probably not the best plan?" Gramps asked softly.

Clark nodded. "Not likely."

"Well, then, bring them here," he said, putting an arm around his grandson's shoulders. "We can use the formal dining room as a conference room – I've done it before – and meet there. If you want to call Perry and tell him it's urgent and could he please come... Well, that's your decision, but it would also mean telling him that you're Superman. He's a newsman. It's in his blood. What would he do with the information?"

"You're right. I don't think Perry would betray my confidence, but it's probably not worth the risk right now. Why don't I take all of you to Smallville. You'll be safe there and..."

"No!" Lois interrupted him forcefully. "I'm staying right here, mister."

"And so are we." Sam had an arm around Ellen who nodded her agreement.

"Then that's settled," Martha said. "The Council of New Krypton can come here."

TBC