Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay - pics of the Lane house...

Originals are here [on the house plan website] or here in an On The Other Hand FDK thread - however the second floor is different from that one which I edited in spots to suit my needs smile . The 'new' second floor is here:

[Linked Image]

Second Floor

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Can I come and stay with Nathan for a while? I promise not to get in the way. And I don't eat that much, really!

This is going to be a complication for Lois Kent. She just isn't used to being around that much money, even if Nathan seems to be the nicest rich guy since Solomon. I think it was Fitzgerald in "The Great Gatsby" who described the rich as different. They're not just like us wage slaves but with lots of cash. They really are different, and they can't help it.

And if Nathan brings in "hand-picked" underprivileged boys every summer, what does he do for girls in similar situations? And what happens to the ones he doesn't pick? Do they get mad and decide to get even? Or maybe more than even? If so, Lois might get caught in one of those crossfires.

This chapter could be completely innocuous, or it could be the catalyst for something terrible. We'll have to wait and see.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Merriwether
Merriwether
I want to live with Nathan, too!
Lois took the offered hand and laughed lightly. "Lois Kent. Of the Smallville Kents. No relation to anyone really."
I think this is my favorite line of this whole part. I literally laughed out loud when she said it. And I bet Nathan was completely charmed as well. smile I also love that he told Lois that Clark was falling in love with her. I definitely like this guy! thumbsup

(And Terry, not to spoil anything, but I think you're expecting an awful lot of doom and gloom in a very romp-y universe, LOL.)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm glad to see that Clark's grandpa is philanthropic. That must have helped form Clark's character.

And if Clark is looking stunned at the end of the chapter: Does he know that his grandfather knows?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Call me Nathan or Nate and any girlfriend of Clark's is welcome here. Well, as long as they're Superman fans." He winked at Lois. "You know he's a friend of Clark's, after all."

With that, he turned and walked off, leaving a gaping Clark behind.
And a gaping Lois presumably. Does Clark know that he knows, and how the heck does Lois suddenly feel about the girlfriend label? I mean geez we had enough trouble getting her on the plane. :p

JD
who surprisingly stayed awake after 8pm...I must be getting used to things. :p

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I was going to say that no one with as much money as Nathan Lane would ever talk so openly about how he uses it. But since Nathan came into his money late in life, maybe he would. I do know that anyone from old money would be aghast at the conversation that just took place. They might give money away, but they would never say so openly. They would never talk openly about money at all, and especially not with someone they just met.

Nathan is obviously the blunt and up-front type. (I'm thinking about what he told Lois about Clark falling in love with her. Which, by the way, I loved.) I bet he has to be careful not to shock his old money neighbors if he's trying to raise money from them. On the other hand, if his neighbors houses are all like his, they're probably all new money, too. Old money is more...subtle.

In fact, it sounds to me like both Nathan and Clark are a little embarrassed about his money. It's like they're apologizing for this huge house. I think Clark is more worried about what Lois will think about his grandpa than the other way around. Clark and Nathan both seem at pains here to assure Lois that they're not *really* rich people at heart. They're just regular folk like her, really they are. Uh huh.

Looking forward to more...

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
Kerth
Uhmm. Nathan seems too good to be true - a genuine nice guy, rich but extremely generous. I guess we'll just have to wait to see his part in this.

It's interesting that Lois, who's been in the house such a short time, is the one who discovers Nathan knows the secret. And interesting that he assumes she knows.

I wonder how many other girlfriends Clark has brought home?

Top Banana
Top Banana
I love the continuation. clap

As with others here, I fear that Nathan seems too good to be true. I hope he is as good as he seems and until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm going to believe he's a good person.

Bob

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hey guys smile . Thanks.

I'd like to go stay with Nate for a bit too. He'd never know we were there...

Terry - I think Nate is how I'd like to think I'd be if I came into the kind of money we're talking about here. Give lots and lots away. My dream house isn't nearly that big [maybe the main part w/o the wings, but probably not that big either] but then find good causes and give money away - like the Santa in KC did for years. He doesn't do anything for girls as far as I know [though I wouldn't swear to that wink ]. His program is a boy program - maybe he feels it inappropriate since he's a guy? - not sure. I think you're thinking I'm way more evil than I really am wink .

Kathy - thank you!

Iolan - I'm sure it did. We'll talk more about Clark and grandpa knowing later.

JD - I think Lois is okay with it. /me zips lip before she says too much more

HG - I don't know that he'd talk that openly with anyone but I think he's made a snap judgment about Lois - and a right one and Clark talked about it as much or more than he did. My thought was that it kind of went to his head and they went over the top at first and then sort of settled down - but this was his house with his wife, their 'dream' house [even if it was way beyond whatever they had dreamed of before whatever happened to make them tons of money - I forget how old Col Sanders was before he fried his first chicken but it was... 55? 60? something like that - maybe older]. He's probably 70 or more given that S was in at least his mid20s when they found Clark who's now in his mid-20s. I think there is a bit of... embarrassment or guilt over spending the money on 'frivilous' stuff like the memberships but he's realized that it 'pays off'. It doesn't make sense to *me* but it makes sense to me that the stereotypical new rich would feel that way - does that make sense at all...?

FH - that's the way I see him. Ah - we'll see about those girlfriends later wink .

Bob - there is absolutely nothing ulterior in Nate to my knowledge. Glad you're enjoying it smile .

More coming up!
Carol

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper wave

I think it's quite interesting that Gramps opened up to Lois about his knowing when no one else knows that he knows. I would assume he knows that Lois will tell Clark before too long so he must be ready to come forth with his knowledge. Wonder what's up with that.

Michael, happy to check out #3 next laugh

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
(And Terry, not to spoil anything, but I think you're expecting an awful lot of doom and gloom in a very romp-y universe, LOL.)
Maybe so. But this is the author who's given us a pregnant Lois (who didn't know she was carrying Clark's baby) married to a Clark (who up to then was engaged to Lana) because an insane dictator tried to claim the baby as his and then switched them with their other-universe counterparts and trashed several lives over there. Fun and romp-y? I have difficulty visualizing it.

On the other hand, maybe it's time for something soft and gentle. After all, Carol isn't completely evil, is she? She has her Glinda-type side, after all.

(And if you prove me wrong, I will "Bwahahaha!" with evil intensity.)

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard