Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks as always to Nancy and Carol for betaing this for me so fast, even though it took me so long to send it to them.

Any thoughts on it?

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Interesting to see Kal "human". Or powerless, I mean. He needs to eat! thumbsup

I agree that Marli was a bit stupid, accepting those glowing green rocks without asking any questions about them. If a rock was glowing green, I'd suspect it was radioactive. And if I was pregnant I wouldn't want a radioactive rock anywhere near my baby! (Admittedly a glowing blue rock would be much more likely to be radioactive and dangerous than a green one, but still.)

As for those chunks of kryptonite that have spread all over the Earth, well, they just aren't possible. Maybe, just maybe, you could navigate a ship from Krypton to the Earth which would be a journey at least several light-years long. But would those rocks of kryptonite just tag along, just hitch a ride, like those cans and buckets and stuff that are tied to those "Just married" cars??

"Just married" car with things attached

It doesn't make sense that the kryptonite rocks could hitch a light-years-long ride like that, when they weren't even "tied" to Kal's spaceship! But admittedly, this is one of those things that you have to accept about Superman. Trying to explain how the kryptonite actually came to the Earth is like trying to explain how Clark can fly, when his powers haven't been drained away by kryptonite.

And Newtrich is... not nice. How did he know that the kryptonite could hurt Kal? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ann

(And romantic minds would love to see some progress between Lois and Kal, did I say that?) hyper

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I have no idea if it's actually relevant re the space rocks traveling with the ship, but I do remember reading the book Lost Moon [later retitled Apollo 13 and the basis for the movie]. There was a lot of debris that was sort of sucked along with the ship making it difficult for them to see the 'real' stars necessary for course corrections, etc. because of the sunlight bouncing off all that debris making 'fake' stars. They had to wait until they were on the dark side to see real stars. That was my thinking - that they were dragged along like that debris was...

Carol

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
smile1

Marli was great. She really strikes me as the domesticated form of homo loisiensis.

And I can't believe Lois actually has a takeout drawer at work. At home, sure. But at work, too. OMG this is hilarious goofy

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Everything here is state-of-the-art. The best available.”

The corner of Kal’s mouth twitched as he sat down at an empty desk close to Lois’.

“What?” Lois asked.

“Nothing.”

“No, it’s something. You’re laughing. What are you laughing at?”

“*This* is the best computer technology available on Earth?” He ran a few fingers across the keyboard.

“Yes,” Lois replied defensively.

“Okay,” Kal nodded. The corner of his mouth lifted higher, stretching his face into a pronounced smirk.

“Let me guess, Kryptonians had mindreading holographs or something.”

“You saw the globe,” Kal shrugged. “That should give you an idea of what Kryptonian technology is capable of. Let’s just say that to me, this looks like something Frank Flintstone would use.”
This part had me laughing out loud. It's so true! And one of the things you get when you do a "Kal coming to Earth as an adult" fic.

Reminds me of a line from that great "Star Trek" episode, "The City on the Edge of Forever":

Spock: "Captain, you are asking me to construct a mnemonic circuit with the equivalent of stone knives and bearskins." (of course he does it successfully.)

Lois, in humanity's defense, tell him that Earth is just entering its computer age, and we've only had computers for about a generation! When we have thousands of years of technology behind them like Krypton did, then we'll have the mindreading holograms too!

(Although I'm still waiting for the tricorders.)

Mike Peters, the awesome cartoonist, did a great one-panel about
evolving technology! (Tried to paste in the actual cartoon here, but couldn't do it.)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting. Perhaps it's just me but I didn't expect this sort of development so far along in the story. This doesn't feel like part 18 of 21. smile

As others have pointed out, I don't see how there would have been any evidence that these would harm Kal. Is Trask somewhere in the background? To me, you need someone who is already over-the-edge to even think that a rock would hurt Superman. Any completely sane person would *know* that a rock wouldn't hurt him and wouldn't bother trying that.

One request... Please post faster smile1

Oops, one more request... What Ann said!! More romance please?? grovel

Bob

Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Just poking my head in super quick...

Thanks for the awesome feedback, as always.

When you think about it, Ann, I agree that the idea of rocks traveling all the way to Earth is a little far fetched, but that is canon, so I figure I can get away with it.

When Kal says he doesn't understand enough of the science to explain it to Lois, that was a lot of me talking through the character. The one Physics class I took in high school was more than enough for me, and even that little bit of knowledge has been pushed far out of my brain.

The way I imagine it, there would be some sort of shield built into the ship to protect it from the explosion of the planet, plus any random space junk. I'm imagining some sort of bubble force-field thing. If the rocks somehow got caught in the bubble, they would be taken along for the ride until the ship passed through Earth's atmosphere, where the shield would be deactivated or something.

Anyway, that's my over imaginative mind thinking and I might be totally out to lunch. I just figured that the rocks must have gotten there somehow, and so I might as well take a few liberties with it. If I'm totally out to lunch, then maybe I can tinker that part a bit.

Okay, off to finish my paper, study for my final, and pack up all my stuff. Bob, I'm posting parts as soon as I'm writing them. Unfortunately, my muse was sacrificed to the Drama gods last term, which killed my buffer. But it's coming back slowly (the muse, that is) so I'll finish this up as soon as I can.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
"I don't understand how it works" is much better than bad technobabble. Another interesting part. I'm not sure where it's going next.

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard