OP Offline
Columnist
Any thoughts?

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have to leave for work now, but I've just got to say... that was beautiful!!!!! smile1 hyper jump

Ann

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
I love it. What a great way to set up them moving their relationship forward. I loved how Lois noticed the difference in Kal without his memory, how he looked 'healthier' and "weightless"

Beautiful. All I need now is more of this wonderful storu

robinson
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really great part. Now maybe their relationship can move forward.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Relationship? What relationship? Kal doesn't even know his real name!

Lois has to stop this right now. There's no way she can move their relationship up/over/down/around several levels while Kal is suffering from amnesia. It doesn't matter that he's no longer carrying the weight of memory from Krypton. What will happen to this idyllic coupling when remembrance of things past returns? It doesn't matter that he has some basic attraction to Lois or that Lois has a very strong attraction to him. This isn't right!

I know, I'm not being romantic, but if she tricks him into bed with her (and that's how he'll see it when he remembers everything), how will he be able to trust her now that she's taken advantage of a man bereft of his past? And was he so unattractive to her when he had his memory?

What would Kal think of human romance and interpersonal relationships after having sex with Lois? "Wow, is this what I missed with Mayson? Let me call her now!" Or might he think, "Eww, this is really gross! How can humans possibly participate in such demeaning activities? I'll never touch a human woman again unless I'm saving her life!"

The mores and customs of Krypton are different from those of Metropolis, and whether or not they're inherently better, they're not what Kal is used to! If Lois wants to drive him far, far away from her, then she'll keep doing what she's doing now. But if she wants to gain his respect, she'll push away and let him know that while she'd love to get physical with him, it wouldn't be right. He'll appreciate that when his memory returns.

And he still has to take care of that last big fragment, doesn't he? Can't very well do that while he's in bed with Lois.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
But, Terry, Lois believes there is something more between them. They last parted with a kiss that promised something more. In the same way, Kal asked the question in such a way as to talk about their feelings as well as their relationship. I don't think she's trying to be dishonest.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What will happen to this idyllic coupling when remembrance of things past returns?
Heh. Drama of the best kind.

Riveting stuff, Beth! This was probably my favorite part so far!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I know, I'm not being romantic, but if she tricks him into bed with her (and that's how he'll see it when he remembers everything), how will he be able to trust her now that she's taken advantage of a man bereft of his past? And was he so unattractive to her when he had his memory?
I really hope Lois won't go that far. But I agree that Lois has reasons to believe that there is something between her and Kal. I don't think she has been taking advantage of him so far, but that doesn't mean they should be having sex when Kal doesn't remember who he is.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
I came in to give some basic FDK but when I went down the thread my mouth dropped open and I had to go back and re-read that part.

First off, I liked the section. There were really two aspects that I especially liked.
a) The idea that Kal is carrying around the weight of a dead planet.
b) The development of the relationship

We know that Kal is carrying around a lot of guilt. Even so, the idea that the amnesia could be a good thing was a great idea. I loved this section:
Despite his painful confusion, there was something about him that seemed different. Lighter, even.

He was no longer carrying the weight of an entire dead planet on his shoulders.

It was amazing how much healthier he looked because of that.
As to the relationship, I have to admit that I also wondered a bit when Lois says:
You’re right. There is something between us.
So when I read Terry’s FDK I can see the concern. I had a similar thought at first. But even before I saw and FDK and had gone back a second time and looked at the kiss.
Then Kal pulled her closer with those arms that were so powerful, too powerful in this case. She had no hope of fighting it, even if she wanted to. He pressed her into a hard kiss that caused even more tears to leak out.
Kal initiated this! Then later, it’s Kal that approaches Lois with this
I don’t remember you, I think there’s an unconscious part of me that remembers how I feel about you. It feels like… there’s something going on between us. Romantically.
At this point I think Lois’s reply of
You’re right. There is something between us.
is an honest answer. Perhaps I’m being too much of a hopeless romantic but I want to believe that Lois is being sincere and is doing the best to tell the truth. After that farewell kiss that Kal gave her, there is *something* between them.

I just hope that
1. Lois is cautious enough to not let it go very far until he gets him memory back
2. When Kal regains his memory, he doesn’t believe Lois took advantage of his situation.

Either way there could be turbulent times ahead.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice! It almost makes me glad he lost his memory. LAura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
*Why* didn't Kal tell her what was going on with the asteroid?!? Undoubtedly it was his inherent overprotectiveness asserting itself, but that is just not okay. Sure he's grateful that Earth has provided him a second chance at life, but by rejecting basic humanity, he's not expressing that gratitude that well. (Oh, I understand why and all that, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating!)

This is a very interesting take on the Nightfall aftermath. It makes me wonder what you could do with TOGOM...not that I could possibly handle this situation going on that long!

So what is going to trigger his memory?

More soon please!
Amber

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm hopeful that Lois will control herself and not do anything that will compromise Kal's trust in her when he regains his memory. But I'm also hopeful that Kal will finally allow himself to be, well, happy. Hopefully, when he regains his memory, he will be able to still allow himself that happiness.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, Beth clap

The kiss totally took me off guard. I can't wait to find out what exactly went on inside of Kal at the time.

The stuff once he was back at her apartment... Well, aside from the obvious (Kal is consuming nourishment), wow. It actually mirrors what happened when Lois was under the influence of the pheromone.

As for Terry's concerns. Well, there is the canon stuff from which we know male Kryptonians are horndogs to the bone. Then there is the way Kal behaved during PML. So I'd say Lois has no reason to fear he'd consider this sort of event to be gross.

As for taking advantage of him, well, I'm sure Lois knows what she's doing. Besides, it is just a kiss. Lois is much too scared to do anything else. But I was reading with my hands firmly clasped overs my eyes.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks everyone for leaving such great feedback. I loved to see all of the discussion of whether or not Lois should tell him more. It really helped me write the next part that's up right now!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard