Special thanks to Alisha, Nancy, Beth and Cat.

Last time:

Would he even want to be a part of the baby's life?

Probably on some level when he was in the area. If she asked for child support, he'd probably want to be around a bit more and she really didn't want any more entanglements with Clark Kent than absolutely necessary.

Kent. That was his last name. She'd discovered that much in Smallville.

She sighed as there was a knock on the door. It was either a salesman or Mrs. Tracewski who'd locked herself out again.

Lois tied her frumpy robe more tightly around her as she looked through the peephole but didn't see anything. She frowned slightly and undid all the locks, leaving the chain in place.

Her jaw dropped and her heart stopped when the door opened and she saw who it was.

She closed the door and undid the chain before opening it more fully.

"What're you doing here?"

Chapter 6

Clark took a deep breath and knocked.

A minute later, the door opened and his breath caught in his throat. She was dressed in pajamas and a robe and her hair was up in a sloppy ponytail, but she was still beautiful.

"What're you doing here?" she asked abruptly.

"I'm moving to Metropolis," he said quietly. "Can I come in and talk to you?"

She sighed and backed away, leaving enough room for him to walk past her. He picked up his battered brown suitcase.

"I don't know anyone else in town so I was hoping you could recommend a hotel until I can get a job and a place to live," he told her, setting the suitcase down inside the door. "I have an interview in the morning, but it'll probably be a couple weeks before I get a paycheck and get a place so cheap would be good."

The last of the locks turned and she was resting against the door when he turned back around.

"What are you doing here?" she repeated.

"You're having my baby. I know you said you don't want anything from me, but I can't do that. If you won't take child support, I'll start a college fund. But I want to be part of this baby's life. I'd rather not go through some big custody, visitation battle but this is important to me."

She sighed as she walked over to the counter and closed her laptop as he sat on the couch. "You can stay here for a few days."

"What?" he asked, surprised. "That's not what this is about. That's not why I came here first."

"I know, but you can stay for a few days until you can get a job and find a place."

"Thanks."

She went to the other couch and sat down, arms crossed protectively in front of her. "I have an air mattress in the other room from when my sister lived with me for a while."

He nodded and bounced lightly. "These couches aren't real comfortable and a bit too short for me."

There was a long, awkward silence.

"How do you see this working?" she finally asked.

He shrugged, trying not to stare at her. "I have no idea. I just know that I want to be part of my child's life. I want to help you with whatever you need – finances or whatever."

"You're a drifter," she reminded him.

"Not anymore," he told her shaking his head. "I never had a reason to stay in one place. I wanted to see the world and I've done that. I have a family now and that changes things."

"Right." She stood. "Listen, I know you just got here and all, but I'm exhausted. Do you want to get in the bathroom and I'll get out the air mattress?"

"Can we talk about something else first?" he asked.

She sighed and sat back down. "What?"

He ran a hand through his hair. "How much do you remember about that night?"

"How much do you remember?" she asked defiantly.

He wanted to retort back that he'd asked her first but decided that probably wasn't the best plan. "I don't remember much of anything from the time we left the bookstore to the time we made it to the bed in the room. I have snippets of buying rings and looking for a place that would marry us and had a room with a Jacuzzi, but it's incomplete. I don't remember the actual wedding much at all. But I remember everything from about the time we got to the room."

She sighed. "It's about the same here. I remember bits and pieces – the cake was good – but otherwise... I know we went in that body shop because I have some lotion from there but I don't remember buying it. The next thing I *really* remember is pulling you onto the bed with me."

Clark nodded. "So you remember the rest of the night?" he asked cautiously, without looking at her.

"Yeah."

"So you remember that I'm... different?" He still didn't look at her.

She didn't look at him. "You didn't tell me much about it, but you did offer a few demonstrations that I remember."

"Right." He leaned forward, his forearms resting on his knees. "I guess you've never been pregnant before – I mean, I don't know but you didn't mention any kids so, I'm guessing – but has anything seemed... unusual to you?"

She shrugged. "I would have expected to be a lot more tired the last couple months given that I've been pregnant the whole time and given how much I've been working, but that's it."

"How long have you known?"

"Last Friday," she told him quietly.

Clark looked up, surprised. "That recently?"

She shrugged again. "I just kept thinking it was stress related. My boss finally told me I had to go see the doctor because he thought I was sick."

"I want to be involved," he said. "As much as you'll let me."

Lois hesitated. "I have a doctor's appointment in the morning at 8:30. I guess you can come."

He groaned. "I have an interview at 9:15 and I don't know my way around the city yet. Probably not a good plan to get lost on my way."

"Probably not."

They sat quietly for another minute. "I have no idea how this baby might be different," he finally said. "I mean for all I know, Kryptonian pregnancies are six months long or two years. I have no idea."

"Kryptonian?"

"I'm from Krypton," he said, leaning back against the couch again. "The baby is half-Kryptonian, but I have no idea what that might mean. My parents and I... we've talked about what a pregnancy might be like someday but..."

"Should I even go to my doctor?" she asked suddenly.

"Why wouldn't you?"

"What if something's... weird? I mean, it occurred to me that something might be... different but..." She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "Do you think it might be... bad different somehow?"

Clark hesitated before moving to the other couch, sitting next to her and reaching for her hand. "I hope not," he said softly. "I hope it's just a normal pregnancy."

He was glad that she didn't immediately pull her hand out of his, but instead her fingers curled slightly around his.

"I'm sorry," he said finally.

"For what?"

"For getting us into this. I'm sure this isn't what you'd planned on doing this summer. Married to a guy you barely know and pregnant."

"No." She paused. "But getting married was my idea."

He looked back up at her. "It was?"

She nodded. "I don't know why or what prompted it or what, but suddenly I asked you to marry me."

He felt suddenly bereft as she pulled her hand out of his. "Then I'm sorry I didn't think about protection," he said without moving away from her.

"I didn't either. I seem to remember being anxious to get back to a room with you. I don't think either of us was thinking clearly."

"The couple at the hotel said it had been a long time since they had a couple so eager to get to their room."

She stood abruptly. "I'm tired. It's past bedtime and I've worked a lot lately. Do you need in the bathroom before I go to bed?"

Clark sighed and stood, picking his suitcase up from by the door. "Do you mind if I take a quick shower?"

She shook her head. "No. Go ahead."

He headed through her room to the bathroom, shutting the door behind him. He leaned against it and closed his eyes for a moment.

It could have gone better but it could have gone so much worse.

At least she hadn't told him to go to hell.

Lois sank back to the couch as Clark closed the bathroom door.

Well, that would certainly help with the financial aspect of all this.

And now he was staying with her for a few days.

That *did not* mean he was going to end up in her bed. Even if he was her husband.

She heard the shower turn on and tried not to think about what might happen if she slipped in there with him. She didn't move until the shower turned off and then she stood again. She needed to get the air mattress out and find the pump to fill it for him.

She stopped midstride as she heard a noise at the front door. She turned to look, groaning as she realized the locks were turning.

Only one person had a key to all the locks on the door.

The door opened and Lucy appeared, laden with a suitcase and other bags.

"Lucy!" Lois hurried to her side and grabbed one of the grocery bags. "You could have knocked."

Lucy kicked the door closed behind her and set her suitcase on the floor before carrying the other grocery bags to the kitchen. "What fun is that? But I thought since I was crashing your place I'd bring some food with me. I know how well you eat."

Lois started digging through the bags and putting the groceries away. She hesitated before leaving the cottage cheese and applesauce out. It sounded good but she didn't know how Lucy would react to that.

"Lois, do you mind..." Clark came out of her room wearing a pair of sweat shorts and a muscle shirt – the lack of sleeves showing off his arms to perfection and the green looked great on him. His hair was still wet and curled slightly at the nape of his neck. He had a travel toiletries bag in his hand and was digging through it. He looked up and stopped speaking as he realized someone else was in the room.

Lois closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Clark, this is my sister, Lucy. Lucy, Clark." She didn't offer any explanation as to who Clark was or how she knew him.

"Hi," Lucy said quietly and Lois could feel her eyes watching her.

"Hi," Clark said back. "Um, Lois, can I borrow your toothpaste? I seem to have left mine at home."

"Sure." Lois still didn't look at either one of them. She heard the bathroom door shut behind him again. "Don't start, Luce."

"Who is he?" Lucy continued putting groceries away.

"I don't want to talk about it. He's a guy I know."

"I got that much. I didn't figure he was a hitchhiker or drifter you took in out of the kindness of your heart." Lucy put the last of the juice in the fridge. "Are you the other woman?" she asked suddenly.

"What?!" Lois was shocked. "Lucy, I would *never*..."

"That's what I thought but he's wearing a wedding ring."

"Did you stop to think that maybe he wears a ring for the same reason I told you I started wearing one? To keep women away?"

"You wear it to keep women away?" Lucy asked, trying to hide her smirk.

Lois glared at her. "Don't start with me. I am *not* the other woman. I would *never* be the other woman. You should know me better than that."

"But you're sleeping with him," Lucy said quietly.

"What makes you say that?"

"Come on. He just got out of the shower. He's borrowing your toothpaste. You don't let *me* use your toothpaste."

"That's because you squeeze it in the middle." Lois sighed. "How long are you staying?"

Lucy shrugged. "I can go if you don't want me to stay. I didn't know you had a guy here. You've never had a guy here."

"Where will you go?"

"Mom won't care if I go to her place." Lucy looked away as she spoke.

"You're not going to Mom's."

"Are you sure you want me to stay here? Will Clark want me to stay here?"

"I don't care what Clark thinks about you staying here. You're my sister and you need a place to crash." She put the cottage cheese and applesauce in a bowl and mixed it together. "And don't look at me like that. I'm hungry."

Lucy lowered her eyebrow. "I'll get the air mattress and some ear plugs."

"Don't worry," Lois muttered. She finished eating quickly as Lucy set up the air mattress. Lucy thought Clark was going to be sleeping with her. It wasn't surprising, of course, given what Lucy thought she had walked in on.

"So how do you know him?" Lucy called over the sound of air compressor.

"We met, lost touch, saw each other recently. He's moving to Metropolis and needed a place to stay until he finds a place of his own."

Lucy smirked at her. "So you offered your bed?"

Lois sighed. "Something like that."

"Well, he's hot." Lucy tested the air mattress' firmness and turned off the air compressor.

Lois stood. "Good night, Lucy," she said firmly, heading towards her room.

Clark was sitting nervously on the edge of the bed.

"I guess you're staying in here," Lois told him quietly, heading for the bathroom.

"I can go back to Kansas for the night," he told her. "The last thing I want to do is make you uncomfortable."

Lois shrugged. "I’m fine." That wasn't strictly accurate. The thought of him in the shower had been one thing, but in her bed... Even if they were both fully clothed...

"Can I have a pillow then? I'll sleep on the floor."

She hesitated. "That's not necessary."

"I'm not going to invade your space anymore than necessary."

"You're not invading. I'm inviting." She winced, glad he couldn't see her as she spread moisturizer on her face. "I mean, I'm offering you a place to sleep." She put a slight emphasis on the word sleep.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." She quickly brushed her teeth and headed back into her room. He hadn't moved.

"I, um, didn't know..."

She sighed. "Clark, we spent eight hours very naked together and then slept together completely without clothes. I think we'll be okay."

"Still..."

She flipped the covers back and climbed onto the bed. "I'm going to sleep. You can sit there all night or get some rest."

Lois pulled the covers up over her. What she really wanted was for Clark to slip in behind her and hold her close as they fell asleep. She'd take more than that – maybe. Part of her wanted more – much more – but she was also pretty sure that wasn't a good idea. She'd settle for him holding her while they slept, but she doubted that was going to happen. Maybe they'd roll together during the night or something.

She felt him stand up, heard him walk around to the other side of the bed and then felt him get in. He seemed to settle in facing away from her.

"Good night, Lois," he said softly. "Thank you."

"Good night."

Clark lay there, staring at the wall for a long time – long after Lois' quiet breathing told him she was asleep.

When he'd landed in Metropolis, he'd never imagined that he'd be spending the night in Lois' *apartment*, much less her bed. What he really wanted to do was roll over and pull her close to him, hold her as he fell asleep.

Could he?

She was asleep. Could he roll over and wrap his arm around her and if she woke up and said something, murmur sleepy apologies?

No. He couldn't do that.

He closed his eyes and willed himself to sleep.

When he woke, it was still the middle of the night. He was curled behind her just as he'd thought about earlier in the night. Her deep, even breathing told him she was still asleep. He realized he should probably move, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. It was purely accidental that he was here with her like this but he loved the feeling of holding her in his arms.

He closed his eyes again and was back asleep almost immediately.

When he woke again, it was morning and she was gone.

The bathroom door was closed and he heard sounds coming from in there. He winced. It sounded like she was sick. He made the bed, hoping that would help her out a little bit at least, before lightly knocking on the bathroom door. "Is there anything I can get you?"

There was a pause. "Some crackers would be good. There's some in the cabinet by the fridge."

"I'll be right back."

He opened the bedroom door quietly, hoping not to wake Lucy if she wasn't already up. He hadn't put his glasses on so he searched the cabinets quickly with his vision and found the crackers.

"Is everything okay?"

He turned to see a sleepy Lucy behind him.

He looked towards the bedroom. "Um, Lois isn't feeling very well."

"Stomach?" she asked.

Clark nodded.

Lucy yawned and headed to the counter, opening one of the drawers and pulling out a handful of something. "These might help."

He took the peppermints from her. "Thanks." He wondered briefly if she might know Lois was pregnant.

"That's what Mom always said worked best when we were sick when we were little."

"Right." He turned back to the bedroom, shutting the door behind him – not because he wanted privacy or wanted to shut Lucy out, but if she didn't know and one of them mentioned it loudly enough for Lucy to hear... Lois would be livid he was sure.

He knocked on the door again and it opened. She was sitting on the floor leaning against the wall. He sat down and leaned against the door frame holding out the crackers and the mints.

She took both of them from him.

"Lucy said the mints might help," he told her.

Lois looked back up at him, her eyes wide. "You didn't tell her, did you?"

He shook his head. "No, I just said that you weren't feeling well."

"I haven't told anyone else yet."

"I told my parents," he said quietly. "But they're the only ones who know about... us."

She munched on a cracker. "I haven't told anyone. I really have worked all day every day, seven days a week, since I got back so no chance to..."

"Call a lawyer?" he finished.

She nodded as she munched on another cracker. "Yeah." She glanced at the clock. "I need to get moving if I'm going to make it to my appointment."

"Let me take you at least, even if I can't stay."

Lois hesitated then nodded. "Okay."

Clark stood and held out a hand. She grasped it and he pulled her up. She stumbled slightly, her hands coming to rest on her chest and his on her waist as he helped steady her.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"My pleasure."

"I, um, need to get dressed." She moved away from him.

He turned into a blur and stopped with his suit pants, shirt and tie firmly in place. His suit coat hung from one finger, slung over his shoulder. "I'll let you get ready."

Her mouth hung open. "Wow," she breathed. "Um, help yourself to breakfast."

"Thank you." He hesitated. "Has it been bad?"

"What?"

He nodded towards the bathroom. "Being sick like that."

"No, not too bad. Couple days a week for a few weeks."

"I'm glad." He turned back and headed out to the kitchen.

Lucy was sitting at the counter eating a big bowl of cereal. "How is she?"

"Better," he told her.

"Good. Jimmy said she's been sick some lately. That's why I showed up last night. To see if she's okay."

"Who's Jimmy?"

"My boyfriend. He works with Lois."

"Ah."

He looked around the kitchen, deciding to pour himself a bowl of cereal. By the time he finished, Lois was walking out of her room dressed in a maroon business suit with a black silky camisole underneath. It reminded him of the one he still had – tucked away in his suitcase, helping to remind him it hadn't all been a dream.

"I probably won't be home until late tonight, Luce." She busied herself getting her things together. "Are you ready, Clark?"

He nodded and rinsed his bowl out. "Ready." He shrugged into his suit coat and followed her. "Bye, Lucy. It was nice to meet you."

"See you guys tonight," Lucy said with a smirk.

Lois rolled her eyes and headed out the door.

A few minutes later, they were seated in the cab, heading towards Metropolis General Hospital. Clark said his good-byes and asked her to let him know how it went before telling the cabbie to take him to the Daily Planet. Surely, getting there early would make a good impression right?

Between traffic and – he was sure – the cabbie taking the most circuitous route, it was after nine when he arrived.

He smiled and shook Perry White's hand at ten after nine. "Bill's told me a lot about you, sir. Even said he scooped you a time or two."

Perry motioned him to a seat as he chuckled. "Did he say *what* he scooped me on?"

Clark shook his head. "No."

"Well, I won't ruin it for him. Bill Carlton and I go way back. How's he doing after his surgery?"

"Fine. He's back to work on next week's paper."

"And you ran the paper since his surgery?"

Clark nodded. "I helped get yesterday's paper out and then headed here."

"Why Metropolis? Why now?" Perry leaned back in his chair and watched him carefully.

Clark hesitated. "Personal reasons. I've always thought I'd live in a big city like Metropolis someday, but the timing... those are personal reasons. Why the Daily Planet?" He shrugged. "I've worked and freelanced for papers all over the world, but to work for the Daily Planet? That's every reporter's dream."

Perry nodded and looked through the samples Clark had brought with him. "Knob-tailed geckos?" he asked with a raised brow.

"You write what you're assigned," Clark replied with a grin.

"I wish all my reporters knew that," Perry mumbled. He looked up. "Speaking of which..."

The door burst open. "Perry, you're never going to believe this."

Clark stood. "Lois?"

She turned towards him, her eyes wide. "Clark?"

It was his turn to ask what she had the night before. "What're you doing here?"

TBC