Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with Oleanna. It's not really important for the plot, but if you know the play at all, you would have a better idea of why it would be uncomfortable first date material.

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I have not heard of that play, sorry.

But I thought this part was great!

I just felt bad for poor Kal on that date. It was even hard to dislike Mayson that much, and that's saying a lot for me! At least that's over with. I was glad that Lois was able to see things from Kal's perspective and actually be helpful to him (probably easier to do knowing the poor guy was clueless)!

The learning to drive scene was so funny!

I am intensely curious about Kal's life on Krypton...you just keep dangling these bits of information out there...it's not very nice! wink

Love this story, looking forward to more!
Amber

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had to google it. It's a David Mamet play, which right off tells you it's not date material. Yes, very good choice for the fic. I'm pretty sure Kal didn't get much out of it except confusion. I like the interaction with Brian in general, but teaching him to drive was so cute. Poor Kal. I feel bad when he is sad. More as soon as you can.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lois instructing Clark on how to not-date Mayson was fun and the non-date hilarious. You know, maybe Clark should have just told her that he was a prince of a small, southeastern European country that just recently got rid of it's monarchy :p

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I had never heard of Oleanna, but I googled it, so now I feel a lot more educated! Reading LnC fanfiction sure broadens your horizons! laugh And I definitely agree that it is not exactly a good play for a date. Wikipedia said that it is about sexual harassment and the first half enrages the female audience and the secand half enrages the males! Brilliant choice of play, Mayson! Dont you try to find out anything about the plays you have tickets for before you invite a guy there for a date?

(I hope Mayson won't follow through on her 'threat' to find out more about Clark, though....)

Of course it was Luthor who had Miranda killed. Now that Clark hopefully got rid of Mayson, I look forward to seeing him help Lois nail Lex.

It was rather touching to see Brian teach Kal how to drive. The best part of that scene was that it offered us such a moving glimpse of Kal's loneliness. He had tried to communicate with Earth people through telepathy, but it was like talking to 'the broad side of a barn'. What a fantastic picture that is of Kal, the lonesome farmboy Kryptonian.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This part was great. It ranged from hilarious to poignant.

I love the dating instruction from Lois. How many of us have felt clueless at times in those situations? The whole bit with "you should offer, but she might offer, than you should offer again" - I could just see Kal's eyes crossing as he tried to figure it out.

“All right,” he agreed. “I will go with her tonight. But I’m going to explain to her that there is no way that we are having a romantic relationship.”

Lois nodded her approval. “It’s the best thing for you to do, Kal. Really.”
Lois, you wouldn't have a little vested interest in this, now, would you?

Poor Mayson. "The worst date ever." But at least that might distract her from Kal's odd responses which might have led her to the secret!
“You do work, don’t you?” she asked innocently, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Uh, yes, of course I… Uh… Well, just like every *normal* person… who works.”
Another good bit! Here in America we talk so much about our jobs. Kal has just found out that he has to get a cover story! Good save, with saying he doesn't have a job yet. And true.

One minor quibble: I believe it is the brake "pedal" and the gas "pedal" when Kal is driving the car. Referring to feet (like pedestrians). "Peddle" would be selling something.

Driving lessons - please tell me Brian isn't trying to teach Kal a stick shift. That would be even worse. Go, automatic transmissions!

And, best line ever:
“This car is unable to anticipate any of my desires,” Kal complained.
Primitive Earth technology! And ROTFL!

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Beth -

Sorry I missed the pedal thing frown .

But I love this. I still think my fly off to Vegas idea is a perfectly valid one!

So... I'll see more in my inbox... when? wink

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
YOU'RE BACK!!!
party party party

Oh, how I missed this fic!

So is Mayson gone for good now? Has Clark tried telepathy on Lois? Will he?

More soon, please!!! grovel

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lovely installment.

Love that you are still including Brian.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Poor Kal doesn't even know when somebody is hitting on him because they hit on him so differently as Superman.

I didn't know anything about the play. I imagine it would have been funnier if I had understood a little more what it was about.

Kal's conversation was so awkwardly funny. She's trying to impress him and he doesn't know that Harvard should impress him--although he can't come right out and say that, can he?

Brian has the patience of a saint. Imagine teaching a Kryptonian to drive. I certainly hope that he wasn't teaching him a stick-shift--my first inclination even though there was no mention of the clutch.

His complaint about the machine not anticipating his desires was priceless. His reminiscence about when life wasn't so quiet was poignant.

Elisabeth

Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Glad to see people are still hanging in there!

Knowledge of the play was not really necessary, but I get a bit of a kick out of knowing how inappropriate it is for a first date, unless of course it was two Mamet fans or something. For myself, I love his writing style even though I blame him for killing whatever small sense of grammar I possessed. Reading his stuff is like reading a musical score. He uses punctuation so well... Okay, enough drama-nerd talk. blush

I'm so glad to see people liking Brian. You can never tell with creating a new character, but I really felt that Kal needed a male friend where the stakes of their relationship weren't as high and where there wouldn't be any sexual tension. No matter what's going on, he can always just relax and be himself with Brian.

Thanks for catching the peddle/pedal thing. I don't suppose I can pass that off as a Canadian spelling idiosyncrasy, can I? Anyway, I'll change it before I send it to the archive.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard