Next part on Tuesday!

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip), Rel and Michael!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 29

TOC

Clark jogged back towards his kitchen and Toni Taylor. <I’ll suggest we go on the balcony so you can at least move around a little more, Honey...>

<Thanks.>

Clark went back to the kitchen. Toni did a slight double take when she noticed the effect the more form-fitting shirt had on him. “Why don’t we make use of the balcony?”

Toni nodded and the walked through the bedroom. Toni glanced at the bed with a wistful look as they passed it.

Clark peaked into the loft again as he set up their meal. Lois had lain down on her stomach and was still playing cards.

The food was surprisingly good and the two quickly finished. Clark smiled at his guest. “You are a great cook...”

<As good as you and CJ?>

<Well, no, but a compliment never hurts...>

Toni sighed. “That was my father’s idea of higher education... a summer at the Cordon Bleu...”

Clark frowned. “I would have pictured business school...”

Toni smiled. “I got my MBA... after he died...”

Clark nodded and smiled encouragingly.

Toni sighed. “All I ever wanted was his approval... For him to be proud of me...”

<Ouch, I know how that feels...>

<You and your father made progress the other day... and you have my parents...>

<Thanks, Clark...>

Clark smiled. “He should have been... You’re picking up where he left off...”

Toni sighed and turned to look at the skyline. “Only after my brother almost ruined us. He just ever thought... *big* enough...”

Clark watched her. “Unlike you?”

“Look, Joey, I don't want to run a... *crime* syndicate. I want to run a conglomerate...”

<Luthor has proven that those two are not mutually exclusive...>

<And I think Toni is the next person being set up to take a fall for him, Lois...>

<So if we could get her to finger him...>

<But why would she?>

“We have the organization and the structure for *legitimate* business...”

Clark smiled. “Sounds like a good plan...”

Toni remained agitated. “If I can just get past this thing with the Toasters.”

Clark smiled. “I’m sure you’ll find a way... Maybe even with my help...”

Toni finally smiled at him. “Maybe, but not tonight. I have a... previous engagement.” She looked up at him. “Disappointed?”

Clark smiled. “Just... gives us something to look forward to...”

Toni smiled and leaned in to kiss him. He turned his head fractionally so that the kiss to fell on his cheek. Toni frowned. “You're full of surprises, Joey.” She finally left.

Clark blew out a long breath and raised a hand to rub the bridge of his nose.

A moment later he felt Lois wrap her arms around him. “You okay?”

Clark sighed. “I feel like I was leading her on. But with what we suspect...”

Lois kissed his cheek. “It is hard sometimes...”

Clark turned to take her into his arms and squeezed her. “Well, let’s get to following her...”

Lois eyed him. “I notice you’re in black...”

Clark grinned. “Tailing someone in bright blue and red is hardly subtle...”

CJ folded his arms and watched Luthor stalk through the Lane apartment in distaste. This man was effectively his boss, however much he didn’t like that fact. And after talking to Sam Lane for a while he was willing to bet that the grant was the first step in getting him under the billionaire’s thumb.

Luthor finally whirled on him. “So, Kent, where’s Lois?”

CJ shrugged. “How should I know where my brother’s girlfriend is? Charles Kent at your service, by the way.”

Luthor blinked. “You’re *Charles* Kent?”

CJ smiled. “Yeah, and I guess I should thank you for that grant you gave my department. It has really put some eyes on me...”

Luthor frowned at him. “But why are you *here*?”

CJ looked towards Lucy, who was watching them nervously. “Lucy is my secretary: I wanted to go over some things with her...” He grinned. “One of the perks of keeping business in the *family*, so to speak...”

He watched Luthor’s face slowly turn red in suppressed anger at that remark. “Well, my apologies, Dr. Kent. I guess I should try to find Ms. Lane later...” The man finally left.

CJ looked at Lucy. “You okay?”

Lucy nodded. “Yeah, thanks for coming CJ...” She looked nervously at the door again.

CJ followed her gaze and sighed. “Lucy, want to make use of the guest room at my place tonight?”

Lucy smiled at him gratefully. “I would love to. Thank you, Boss...”

CJ rolled his eyes at her and she left to gather an overnight bag.

When she returned Lucy smiled at him. “I’m ready. How did you know to show up, anyway?”

Lois and Clark watched from the air as Toni entered a condemned building now marked for the Lex Harbor development. Clark landed silently and the couple snuck into the building after her. Clark tensed as three men emerged to restrain Toni. The leader of the toasters watched the woman with wild eyes.

Toni bristled. “Is this really necessary?”

The leader glared. “Did you bring the money?”

“One hundred thousand.”

One of the other men shook her. “You said two.”

Toni glared behind her. “Considering how badly you botched the hit on my brother, you're lucky I'm even here...”

<Well, that answers that...>

<Yeah...>

“Do you realize I could've been killed?”

The leader smiled. “Yeah, that would've been a real shame.”

Toni was outraged. “Just don't forget who's running the show. The fires were supposed to stop as soon as I took over. What do you think you've been doing?”

The second man sneered. “Having fun?” The others laughed.

Toni glared. “Well, the fun stops now. I want the Toasters back.”

The leader took the briefcase. “I don't think so. We've kind of decided to... hold on to them for awhile.”

<Looks like all they care about are their toys...>

<Yeah, I’m going to go change, Lois...> Clark began to back away.

<No need, Cal, I’m on my way. I just dropped Lucy off at my place.>

Toni struggled. “Listen, Punk...”

The leader cut her off. “No, you listen to me for a change. You and the Metros, you ain’t nothin’. We could wipe you out by just pullin’ a trigger.”

Toni sneered. “I made you!”

“And we are... *so* grateful... Wrap her up...” The leader grinned at her. “By the time we’re done with West River... there’ll be nothing left standing.”

As they started to move Toni away, she opened her mouth to deliver a parting shot.

A throat cleared. “You might have some problems with that...” Superman had arrived.

Within moments the Toasters’ weapons were demolished and the men were restrained. Superman turned to the Toni, who was still tied up.

She smiled. “Thank you, Superman, for saving me...”

“From your own men?” Clark’s quiet voice echoed through the empty building. He and Lois stepped forward. “We saw everything, Toni...”

After staring at Lois for a long moment, Toni turned to Clark. “So, you’re a reporter, too, I guess...”

Clark nodded. “Clark Kent, Daily Planet...”

CJ began to cart the Toasters to the police station while Toni glared at Clark and Lois. CJ had just taken the last of them off when Clark heard a sound. “Lois, hide.” They ducked into the shadows.

Toni continued to glare in their direction.

A moment later Lex Luthor walked slowly into the room. He surveyed the room as Toni darted a wide-eyed glance at where Lois and Clark were hiding.

Toni’s eyes took on a calculating gleam. She looked up at Lex. “Well, it’s about time you got here. The Toasters betrayed me and then...”

<What is she up to?>

<I don’t know, Lois... but just maybe... this could get interesting... Jay, stay outside....>

<Will do, Cal...>

Luthor cut her off. “How the mighty have fallen...”

Toni blinked and clamped her jaw shut for a long moment before she said, “Save the speeches and untie me. Over in the other room there’s...”

<Be ready for a quick exit, Honey.>

Luthor smiled as he cut her off again. “No, I don’t think that would do either of us much good...”

Toni froze. “We had a deal.”

<He’s quite arrogant, isn’t he, Cal?>

Luthor’s smile grew. “No, we had a *plan*.” He continued, consolingly, “Although it seems it turned out better for me than it did for you...” He walked into the room.

Toni’s eyes followed his every move, anger growing in her expression.

“I was able to pick up all the real estate I needed for Lex Harbor at, shall we say, ‘fire sale’ prices, thanks to the Toasters...” He waved a hand in Toni’s direction. “You, my dear, you had it all in your hand: the Metros, West River, a future as a legitimate entrepreneur... Then you got careless: You let a reporter come between you and an empire.” He withdrew a handkerchief and laid it on a box before sitting.

Toni glared. “Everyone will find out you’re behind the Toasters!” She looked away for an instant at where Lois and Clark hid.

Luthor only smiled, oblivious to her glance. “No, I don’t think you will. You’re intelligent, you know that my power extends well beyond the normal reach... even into Metropolis’ Women’s Prison. No, Toni, you’ll take the blame and do your time... I’ll keep my eye on things here in West River. When they let you out *maybe* I’ll let you back into the game...”

Toni glared at him in impotent rage and spat, “You’re a dangerous man, Lex, I never realized *how* dangerous until now...”

Luthor nodded. “Well, thank you, my dear, thank you very much.” He stood and smiled at her. “And, welcome to big business...”

Toni glared at him as he left. Once he was far enough away CJ landed and looked towards Lois and Clark. “No proof again, Ms. Lane, Mr. Kent...” He looked over at Toni. “Unless...”

Lois and Clark emerged silently.

Toni looked at Clark. “Make that... that...” She trailed off in anger. “Just make him make a mistake...”

Lois caught her gaze. “We plan to, Ms. Taylor...” She grinned at the other woman and held up a tape recorder. “We definitely plan to.”

Toni and Lois shared a moment of understanding before Toni nodded. “*When* you get him... you’ll have my testimony...”

<One nail in Luthor’s coffin, Clark...>

The next day Lois and Lucy sat in their apartment. “Thank was scary, Lo,” Lucy said quietly.

Lois hugged her sister. “I know, Luce, and I’m sorry I wasn’t here...”

Lucy frowned at her sister. “How would that have been any better?”

Lois shrugged. “I don’t know... I’m just sorry you had to deal with him by yourself...”

Lucy smiled. “It turned out okay. However, how *did* CJ know to come here? I asked him and he just gaped at me like a fish before he said he needed to hurry to catch up with you two. I mean, he told Luthor he had some things to discuss with me but...”

Lois blinked. “Oh, well, he and Clark are telepathic...”

Lucy’s eyes widened, “Wow! That isn’t something that’s hit the newspapers...”

Lois laughed. “And it won’t... It takes knowing there are two of them...”

Lucy grinned. “So, is it just between the two of them?”

Lois blushed. “No, CJ and Rachel are able to talk... and I can talk to both of them...”

Lucy stared at her. “What?!”

Lois sighed. “C’mon, Luce, you had to know there was something else weird going on for me to get so comfortable with Clark so quickly...”

Lucy grinned at her. “I was too busy being happy for you to question it... But you two can read each other’s minds? Wow...”

Lois frowned at her. “Not read each other’s minds... We can talk to each other, so far, no matter the distance... We can sense some things from each other, like I can tell when Clark’s upset, and more importantly, we can block each other out. But it really did cut through a lot of my defenses...”

Lucy smiled at her for a long moment but suddenly her eyes widened. “Wait, Rachel’s the only other person who’s able to talk to them?”

Lois blushed. “Yeah, and she can only talk to CJ...”

Lucy gaped at her sister. “So... what exactly does that mean?”

Lois shrugged. “Nothing, really... Yeah the only other person they’ve discovered with the ability to talk to them is CJ’s wife... But, does that mean Clark and I should assume anything about our relationship? No.” She smiled. “But then... we’ve also both told each other ‘I love you’... So...”

Lucy’s eyes grew huge. “You *what*?! When?!”

Lois blinked and regarded her sister warily.

A few days later, Lois was struggling to carry a load of groceries down the street. Reaching the steps to her apartment building she began to climb. A can of nuts fell out of the bag, only to be caught at the last second. “Want some help?”

Lois smiled up into Clark’s eyes. “You bet!” She shoved the bags into his arms.

Hearing a noise, both reporters turned back to the street. Four children led a pot-bellied pig down the street.

Lois stared. “A... pig?”

Once girl sneered at Lois. “Of course it’s a pig... Haven’t you ever seen a pig before?” She looked back at her friends. “Not very smart, is she?”

Clark frowned. “It’s understandable. Pigs are not very popular pets in big cities...”

The kids only laughed and continued on their way.

Lois looked at her boyfriend. “Give me Kansas manners any day...”

Clark chuckled. “Want me to cook you and Lucy dinner?”

Lois smiled slowly. “Lucy’s out with Jimmy.”

Clark grinned at her. “So, want me to cook *you* dinner?”

Lois grinned. “Now that sounds wonderful!” She raced up the stairs.

Clark laughed in her wake. <And maybe a little time after dinner?>

<Possibly... if you play your cards right...>

The next few days were excruciatingly slow. Lois and Clark were looking over their files on Lex Luthor in the conference room since nothing newsworthy seemed to be happening in the city.

“Ugh, I hate slow news days,” Lois groaned.

Clark grinned. “Well, just think, maybe we can sneak out early...”

“I bet you miss Borneo right about now, eh, CK?” Jimmy had joined them.

Clark grinned at his young friend. “Fascinating place, Borneo... They’ve done a lot to preserve the rainforests there. Especially the habitat of the native orangutans...”

Arms wrapped around him from behind. “I love a well-traveled man... Broadens my horizons...” Cat kissed his cheek before letting go.

Clark rolled his eyes. “Welcome back, Cat...”

Lois grinned. “How was your vacation?”

Cat shared the grin. “It was fantastic!” She looked back to Clark. “It wasn’t Borneo, but the beaches were great...”

Clark smirked. “Yeah, Borneo was nice. Only one problem: It didn’t have Lois!” He ducked a smack and snuck a kiss.

“Just *try* to drag me off to Borneo, Kent... Just try...”

Cat and Jimmy couldn’t hold back their laughter.

<Nice for a vacation though... Rach and CJ visited me a couple of times...>

<That might be okay... but an occasional weekend is all...>

Recovering, Jimmy eyed Clark. “Orangutans always look so wise.”

Cat joined in. “Orangutans throw mud at people at the zoo, Jimmy.” She demonstrated with a wad of paper.

“‘Scatter.’” They all turned to see Perry in the doorway.

“Huh?”

“Perry?”

“What?”

“Scatter...?”

Perry looked at them. “‘Scatter’... Elvis’ pet chimpanzee... Poor little guy, drank himself to death...”

They all stared at their editor as he sat down. Perry looked at Clark. “Anything from the governor's office?”

Clark sighed. “Same old line: ‘We can expect a fiscal turnaround sometime next year.’”

Perry grunted and turned to Lois. “Washington?”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Three more people are claiming to be the President’s brother...”

Perry sighed. “His father must have been a busy man...” This gained a small laugh.

Jimmy piped up. “Those kids are still missing from the Beckworth School.”

Perry scowled. “That’s been filler for the last three days... Find me something new!” He turned to Cat. “Scandals?”

Cat pouted. “Just the usual...”

Perry flopped back in his chair. “Kids! There are twelve million people in the city of Metropolis. There must be something significant happening... *somewhere*...”

They jumped as a TV in the room turned on all by itself.

A boy in a suit materialized on the screen. Behind him was a sign reading “Smart Kids News.” “We interrupt your regular programming to bring you this special report.” A trumpet fanfare sounded and the boy shook his head.

<Isn’t that...>

<What, Clark?>

<One of the kids with that pig we saw the other day...>

<You think?>

<Good memory, Lois...>

<I bet, Flyboy...>

The boy continued, “Smart Kids still at large! Authorities search for clues to kids’ whereabouts. Meanwhile, the kids say: *leave* *us* *alone*. Don't look for us. Don't try to get us back... or else.” He gazed intently at camera. “We rejoin our show in progress.”

An old black and white cartoon came on the screen. The primary figure was Porky Pig. Once the cartoon ended two more kids analyzed it turning the simplistic villain into ‘death’. When the ‘show’ ended the TV clicked off by itself.

<That was... interesting...>

<Those looked like two more of the kids...>

The rest of the group continued to stare at the screen in shock.

tbc....

Last edited by LabRat; 05/11/14 08:08 AM.

Sara "Lieta"