Sorry this is out a bit late, was running errands and they took longer than I expected. Next part on Wednesday!

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip), Rel and Michael!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 27

TOC

Sam Lane was fascinated by the interplay between his daughter and her boyfriend. Clark Kent wasn’t the man he would have pictured for his daughter and he doubted the society conscious Ellen would have been very impressed either.

Kent was like an immovable rock. He didn’t lose his temper or even his patience. He was full of gentle teasing and laughter. Yet Sam had met many men whose manner was forged by hardship- usually physical- and Kent was one of those. He wondered if this man had ever lost his temper... and who the unfortunate person was who had provoked him.

Allie had told him of the reporter’s encounter with Garrison and Sam found himself strangely reminded of Superman’s treatment of the same man, which he had witnessed from the shadows a few nights before. Sam frowned for a moment before he shook his head slightly. No, that was ludicrous, after all, Clark was a *twin*... and an identical one, he knew, from looking up a photo of Dr. Kent.

The nurse in front of him stopped at a room and motioned them inside. He walked inside and looked at Allie Dinello. “Hey Allie...”

Lois and Lucy burst past him and embraced the other man. The girls had both been much closer to both Allie and his own brother than they had ever been to him. And after Ellen had died... they had blamed him and he had blamed himself... They had never been able to connect after that. It had been a relief when Lucy had turned 18 and both she and Lois had moved into their own place.

Though now he wished he had made some effort to keep in contact.

Sam sat by Allie’s bed, half-listening to his girls’ chatter. Lois raved about her job and her surprisingly recent relationship with Kent... He would never have guessed that the two had only known each other for a couple of months at most. Lucy raved about her boyfriend as well... Apparently he was some young co-worker of Lois’... Then, Allie received a shock: Flighty Lucy was working for Dr. Charles Kent of Metropolis University. She was only a secretary, but picturing her in an academic job of any type was unimaginable... Apparently, though, she was thriving and considering going back to college...

Sam reflected on his latest debacle... It had been years ago when Luthor, through third parties, had first offered him a grant to research bionic limbs for victims of injury. He had been excited... The girls had already been out on their own so he had felt free of all ties and poured all his time into the project. Little by little his ethics had been stretched until he woke up and realized he was doing surgeries that would have appalled him before...

“Sam?” He looked up to meet Allie’s gaze. “What happened at the meet?”

“Allie, you had a heart attack... It’s better for you now to...”

“Sam! It’s more stressful for me not to know...”

Sam blinked and nodded. “I helped Lois and Kent stop Menken... You and I are free men. Superman apprehended the fighters...” He sneaked a glance at Lucy. “But Menken’s boss got off free, too, and Luthor offered to be a character witness for me and offered me a job-” He noticed Lois tensing. “-which I turned down... I need to take some time to see how I want to fix my life now...”

The next day CJ and Rachel sat nervously in an exam room waiting for Rachel’s doctor. The nurse had taken a few measurements and then hurried out of the room.

Rachel’s doctor entered and looked at the young couple in front of her. “Rachel... you’ve gained a bit more weight than we expected... But we had an ultrasound scheduled for today, anyway. Let’s go do that now.”

Rachel bit her lip. “Is something wrong?”

CJ’s hand gripped hers tightly.

The doctor shook her head. “We don’t know... that’s why we’re going to check now.”

They were moved to another room and CJ hovered over Rachel as they prepped her for the ultrasound. Once the doctor started looking, CJ buried his face against Rachel’s shoulder.

<CJ?>

<I’m scared, Rach... that something’s wrong... or that something’s different because of how I am...>

“Ah ha...” They both looked up at the doctor, who was now smiling. “Here’s your weight problem.” She pointed to the screen. “See that? That’s the fetal heart... now look here...” She moved the detector.

CJ blinked. “That’s... Holy...”

Rachel stared in shock. <CJ... How did you miss *that*?>

<I... haven’t been listening in on you lately?>

The doctor beamed at them. “Congratulations... again.”

CJ stared at his wife sheepishly. “Twins...”

Rachel giggled. “You had to be an overachiever here, too?”

CJ’s eyes widened. “Me?!”

The doctor chuckled. “We’ll need to alter your diet plans, Rachel, but from this they both look healthy...”

That night Lois had planned a family dinner. Clark had cooked, with her miniscule help. Sam was the first guest to arrive and Lois, Lucy and he were talking quietly while they waited for the others to arrive.

Jimmy was the next to arrive and he sat with Lucy nervously while Sam probed him. When CJ and Rachel arrived, Clark took one look at them and frowned. “Okay, you two, what happened?”

CJ’s face split into a wide smile and he pulled Rachel into his arms. “We’re having twins!”

Superman shot down from the sky into a burning building. Moments later he emerged with a man in his arms. He was covered in soot and so was the man he had rescued.

As he placed the unconscious man on a stretcher, a reporter cornered him. “Superman!” The reporter grabbed onto his arm and actually dragged him closer to the cameras. “You've been helping the fire department all day. Any idea who could be behind the fires?”

Superman sighed. “No, I’ve been too busy trying to help keep them under control...”

“We’re hearing rumors of potential gang arson... Any comment?”

Superman frowned at the pushy newsman. “I’m sure the authorities are doing everything they can...”

“...Fire at Hobs and 8th!”

“...and there’s another fire... Excuse me...” Superman quickly escaped and took to the air.

<Cal? Are you ok?>

<Just tired, Jay...>

<Want me to take over?>

<No... we agreed you would take a break until you and Rach are comfortable with everything...>

<And don’t worry about his job either, CJ. I’m covering for Clark at work. He’s ‘tailing Superman’ to the fires and is going to turn in a story when they let up again...>

<Thanks again for covering, Cal...>

After a moment Clark smiled. <How’s the undercover thing going?>

<I have an audition this afternoon...>

Lois took a deep breath, Clark was supposed to have been her backup for this... but with the fires and CJ and Rachel’s discovery of their twins... the best-laid plans had fallen apart. She watched as the man, Johnny Taylor, scornfully dismissed the girl now on the stage. His sister, Toni, interrupted his audition and Lois caught a few words – fire, Rudy’s, protection - as well as Johnny’s avowal to ‘Take care of it.’ ‘I wish Clark were here... Oh well, I did fine before he moved to Metropolis... I’ll do fine while he’s tied up with those fires...’

A moment later, Toni stormed off and Johnny finally threw the bad dancer off the stage. His gaze fastened on Lois. “Hey you! With the legs!” Lois slowly turned her head. “Yeah, you...”

Lois walked forward, making sure to help her outfit display herself to the best advantage

Johnny appraised her. “Baby cakes, you’re in!”

Lois sneered at the other women. “Sorry girls, better luck next time...”

When Lois returned to the newsroom, she asked Jimmy to start researching the Taylors and their club.

Jimmy followed her as she went to her desk. “Are you *crazy*?”

Lois sighed. “Jimmy, all the fires are in West River... Who controls West River?”

Jimmy sighed. “The Metro Gang...”

“Right, so I’m going undercover at the Metro Club... It’s simple!”

“Lois, those guys are *gangsters*!”

Clark entered the newsroom, a stack of papers in his hands. His shoulders were slightly slumped with exhaustion.

Lois noticed him. “Clark!” She rushed over to him. <How are you?>

Clark smiled wearily at her. “Hey, Lois...” <Just tired... I hope there are no more fires for at least a day or so... What is it now, seven, eight?>

Lois rubbed his shoulder. <Ten...> She peeked at the papers in his hands. “That your story?”

“Yeah, how did...”

“Kent!” Perry had spotted him. The editor stalked over. “You got the scoop on those fires?”

Clark nodded, “Right here, Chief.”

Perry claimed the printout and scanned it over. “Looks good... Now get out of here... You look dead on your feet.”

Jimmy joined them. “CK! You have to help me! Lois has gone insane!”

Clark eyed his girlfriend. “The club?”

Lois grimaced. “Jimmy’s convinced it’s too dangerous...”

Perry snorted. “Jimmy, you might as well be trying to milk a steer...”

Jimmy blinked. “What’s a steer...?”

Clark couldn’t choke back a laugh. “A... fixed male cow...”

Jimmy blinked. “Okay... anyway, how can you be okay with this, CK?”

Clark sighed. “I’m going to get some sleep and then head over to the club myself... I’ll see if I can’t get a job, too... Otherwise, I’ll just be another guy at the bar...” <Sorry I missed the audition by the way...>

Lois smiled and looked Jimmy in the eye. “Enough backup?” <Not your fault, Clark...>

Jimmy blinked. “Uh, yeah... I guess so...”

Perry frowned at them. “Now, Jimmy... it’s always been my policy to back up my reporters one thousand percent...” He looked at a now almost dozing Clark. “Why, if Kent here told me he could fly...”

Clark’s eyes flew open as he jerked awake. <Um...>

“...I’d back him up...” He moved closer to Clark. “I’d miss you,-” He clapped Clark’s shoulder. “-but I’d back you up...”

Lois was staring at her boss. “Thanks, Chief...” <I... hope that wasn’t a hint...>

Perry looked between them. “Doesn’t mean, however, that you two shouldn’t be careful...”

Lois nodded. “We will.”

Perry regarded Lois for a long moment before shrugging in resignation. He then headed off and Jimmy, struggling to control his laughter, left as well. However, Jimmy soon rejoined them, carrying a garment bag. “Are you sure about this gig, Lois?”

Lois was exasperated. “Jimmy! I am first and foremost a professional and I certainly wouldn't do anything to compromise my personal safety or the integrity of my work!”

Jimmy opened the bag. “Sure Lois, by the way the dry cleaner’s said he had a heck of a with the feathers...” He held out a skimpy, yellow, leotard costume.

Lois’ eyes went wide and she grabbed for the garment. “Jimmy!” Throwing the suit back into the bag she peeked at Clark to see his reaction... only to find him resting his head on his hand, sound asleep.

Several hours later Clark was at a press conference, looking much more awake as he took in the room.

<Feeling better?>

<Much. Thanks, Honey...>

<Honey, again...>

<You never made me believe you when you told me not to...>

<Cute, Kent...>

Luthor finally finished his presentation of his new harbor project and opened the floor to questions.

<You hear him?>

<No, and I didn’t want to.>

A man just in front of Clark took the floor. “Aren't you worried about making such a large investment in the West River area at this time?”

Luthor’s lip curled. “No.”

<Hmm, interesting, the lots he needed got torched...>

<Really, Clark?>

<Yeah...>

The reporter continued. “But what about the fires? Even Superman can't keep up with them.”

<You’re doing your best, Clark.>

Luthor smiled. “Superman has made a valiant effort. Unfortunately, he has failed. I suppose this proves he's only human.” This gained a laugh from the crowd, except for Clark. But Luthor wasn’t finished. “Now, West River is currently a blight on the face of our fair city... Lex Harbor will change all that.”

Clark dove in. “How do you respond to accusations that coercion was used to pressure the city council to approve this project without appropriate study?”

Luthor looked him straight in the eye. “I don't respond to accusations, Mr. *Kent*...”

<I... don’t like how he said that...>

<Me neither, Clark...>

<Count me in, too...>

<Thanks, Jay...>

“I'm more concerned with results. I believe that with Lex Harbor we can take back our streets from the kind of crime and gang influence that apparently even Superman can't control... Good day.” The other reporters began firing questions as Luthor strode out a side door.

<Hmm, double attack on Superman and on any doubters of his project?>

<Our cover just got more important, Clark...>

<Cover?>

Meanwhile, at the club, Lois was getting a crash course on waitressing in a sleazy nightclub. Her tutor, Toots, was showing her how to hold a try.

“... and if you hold your tray like this, you'll always have one hand free for protection.”

Lois stared at her. “Protection?”

Toots grinned. “Eyes ain't the only things that wander in this joint.” She demonstrated by slapping her hip.

Lois closed her eyes for a moment as a siren whirled by. <Another one?>

<Yeah, I’m taking it, though... This is too much!>

<Thanks, Jay... Lois, I’ll be there in a few hours, everything okay?>

<I’m being taught how to hold a serving tray so I can protect myself from wandering hands... Sure, everything’s ok...>

<Wandering hands?>

<Great gig you got there, Lois...>

<Go away... *Both* of you...>

Lois scanned the room and noticed a group of nicely dressed men heading into a back room.

Toots saw them, too. “So, when you’re not on stage, you're out here takin’ orders, got it? Now I better get in there with somethin’ to wet their whistles or I'll be back slingin’ hash at the truck stop.”

Lois stopped her. “Let me, I could use the practice.”

Toots resisted. “They tip big.”

Lois grabbed her tray. “There's a twenty in it for you.”

Toots released the tray, causing Lois to unbalance.

She gathered drinks and headed for the back room. When she entered, all eyes turned to her. “Thirsty, boys?”

Several of the men raised hands while Johnny said, “Over here, Gorgeous.” Lois noticed Toni rolling her eyes. Lois served Johnny then as she moved to the next man, he gave her a sound pat on the rear. She jerked in surprise, barely managing to keep the drinks level.

<Expect his shoes to melt later...>

<Cute, Flyboy.>

Lois slowly moved around the room, watching as Toni and Johnny got into a subtle power play. None of the men in the room were willing to speak against their leader but most of them seemed to defer to Toni. Eventually Toni rose to her feet and leveled a summary of her brothers’ history to the table. She ruthlessly categorized the ‘company’s’ faults, finishing off with “What would Papa say?”

Johnny sneered out a sexist comment about marriage to which Toni replied that she would have followed if he were competent.

Johnny finally settled the argument by shooting a few holes in the wall.

<Lois?!>

<I’m fine, Clark, he was aiming for the walls... I was behind him...>

Toni stood her ground and left on the line. “Just what we need. A cool head in charge.”

Lois left in her wake with the other occupants of the table, leaving Johnny alone in the room.

tbc...

Last edited by LabRat; 05/11/14 08:09 AM.

Sara "Lieta"