Next part on Sunday!

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip), Rel and Michael!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 26

TOC

That evening Lois and Clark arrived at her father’s office. They found the door unlocked in anticipation of their arrival. Clark headed for the file cabinets, reading their contents at super-speed, while Lois scanned the rest of the office.

With a sigh, Clark turned to Lois. “Training logs and medical reports... but look at this...” He handed a file to Lois.

She read it aloud, “Garrison’s file... his record is mediocre until his surgery... now he’s perfect...” She looked at Clark curiously.

“It’s the same with several of the fighters... and not just their records... They made mincemeat of their opponents...”

Lois frowned. “A steroid?”

Clark shrugged. “No idea... But *something*...”

“And, like Dad said, not rigging the fights... Rigging the fight*ers*... Keep looking...”

Clark nodded and scanned the room with his x-ray vision. Suddenly, he froze. “Lois...”

She turned to him. “What?”

“There’s a hidden room here...”

“Can you open it?”

Clark pushed on the side of the bookcase, which rotated easily. They entered the tiny room. It was filled with steel replicas of arms, legs, hands... entire skeletons...

Lois gulped. “Not steroids... Mechanical parts...”

Clark looked at a sheet of paper. “And motors to drive them...”

Lois was dazed. “No wonder they’re so good... My father’s in on it...”

“He wanted us here, Lois...” Clark suddenly tensed as he heard a sound. “Someone’s coming...” He focused in. “It’s Menken and Garrison...”

Lois looked at him. “Get me out of here, Clark...”

The next morning, Lois and Clark entered Perry’s office.

“Perry,” Lois started, “we need to talk...”

Perry looked at her with a raised brow.

“We have the story... but there’s a problem.”

Perry frowned. “Problem?”

“Yeah, problem. Whoever went after Allie will target my dad as soon as we print it.”

Perry stared at her. “What exactly do you have?”

Lois took a deep breath. “My father gave fighters robotic limbs...”

Perry slumped. “Robotic limbs...?”

Lois nodded. “And he left his office unlocked for us last night... We *saw* them, Chief. If we hadn’t almost gotten caught, we would have pictures, too...”

Perry looked her in the eye. “Then he’s a source Lois... and we protect our sources.”

Lois relaxed. “Thanks, Perry...”

He held up a hand. “But, that means you two just have to find whoever called that hit on Allie... *Then* we go to print...”

Lois’ eyes narrowed. <Let’s get that... that...>

<We will, Lois, whoever he is.>

Later that day, Lois visited the gym, alone. “Hi Dad...”

Her father looked up. “Lois, I didn’t notice your byline in the Planet today...”

She met her father’s gaze. “The story is on hold until we find whoever tried to kill Allie...”

“Why? The story is more important than...”

“I *won’t* lose someone else I care about if I can help it! I lost Mom... I won’t lose Allie or *you*, Dad!”

Her father sighed, “I can’t give you the top man... I’m not supposed to know, but Menken is sloppy...”

Lois was hit with an epiphany. “Luthor?” she whispered.

He father’s eyes went wide. “How?”

Lois dropped her voice. “Clark and I believe he was responsible for all the problems with Space Station Prometheus and that he was also behind a series of accidents just after Superman arrived- a series of ‘tests’ of Superman’s abilities- and that’s just what we’ve guessed on...”

Dr. Lane sighed and rubbed a hand across his face. “Okay, you’re right, but you see... there has to be a fall guy...”

Lois sighed. “There may already be one... Did Menken try to kill Allie?”

“I don’t know... I’ve been afraid to ask myself that question...”

“If we nail Menken, we’ll lose Luthor, just like what happened with Baines, but these fighters need to be taken out of the ring...”

Her father held her gaze. “You do whatever you need to do to *stop* this...”

A few hours later Lois and Clark waited on a street corner. “Do you know what he wanted?” Clark said into her ear, his arms loosely wrapped around her from behind.

“No, all he said was that he had something for me...” She turned to the side and rubbed her nose against his neck.

A throat cleared to the side of them and they pulled apart. Dr. Lane held out a tape recorder to Lois.

She took it and raised a questioning gaze to him.

“It may not be enough to arrest him... but it’s enough for the boxing commission...”

Lois nodded. “Thanks...”

Her father nodded. “It’s nothing, only what I should have done a long time ago... now, go write your story... The *whole* story...” He turned and began to walk away.

Lois rushed after him. “Daddy!” She hugged him. “Be careful...”

Her father kissed her forehead. “I will... you won’t lose me yet...” He looked at Clark. “Keep an eye on her, Kent...”

Clark moved forward to shake his hand, “I will... she means more to me than I can ever say...”

Dr. Lane nodded and left. Lois rewarded Clark with a quick kiss before they headed off to the Planet.

Once there, Lois dragged Clark into the conference room to take advantage of a little fast typing. Once their story was written they took it to Perry.

Perry was ecstatic about the break with the story and rushed it off to print. Another great piece by Lois Lane and Clark Kent hit the stands.

That evening Lois and Clark were leaving the Planet, hoping to actually have a date for the evening.

“Ms. Lane!” They looked up to see none other than Lex Luthor heading their way. “I was hoping to find you...” He took one of her hands in his and glared at Clark who remained where he was with his arm around his girlfriend’s shoulders. “And I was hoping the rumors were unfounded...”

Lois took a breath. “I’m afraid not...”

Luthor continued, a concerned look crossing his features, “Lois, your father is a visionary. I have nothing but contempt for those who led him down this path...”

He didn’t notice Lois’ tiny flinch. <*He’s* the one who...>

<I know, Lois, remember the game though...>

“That's why I’ve come here today. To find you and make this pledge...” He tried to pull Lois forward but Clark’s grip on her stopped him. “If you’ll pardon us for a moment, Mr. Kent?”

<Clark, why does he want us apart?>

Clark smiled grimly. “My girlfriend and I were just leaving...” He didn’t release Lois. <Let’s not find out...>

<Watch it with the jealousy, Flyboy.>

Luthor started to glare then suddenly blinked. He stared at Clark for a long moment before turning his attention back to Lois. “As I was saying, I pledge to do anything within my power to help your father redirect his energies to the injured and handicapped.”

Lois forced a grateful smile. “I don't know what to say...”

A door slammed. “Well, ain't this touching.”

Clark tensed as Max Menken joined the gathering. <Lois, you would have been an easy hostage if Luthor had pulled you over there...>

Luthor smiled at the intruder. “Mr... Menken? Shouldn’t the police have you in custody by now?”

<I... I’m glad I stayed with you...>

Menken drew a gun. “All right, let’s nobody get heroic...” Lois ducked under Clark’s arm to take advantage of his bulletproof chest.

Menken stared at Clark. “Step aside. She’s coming with me...”

<God, Clark, that *was* the plan...>

Clark stared back. “Mr. Menken, do you really want to add kidnapping to your charges?” <Over my dead body...>

<Which we know isn’t possible...>

Luthor glared. “Haven't you caused enough trouble?”

Menken sneered at them. “I'm just warming up... Now, hand over the doll.”

<Doll?!>

<Jay! Planet lobby... *now*!>

<On my way!>

Clark refused to back down. “No...”

Menken smiled. “Well, maybe my friends here can change your mind...”

Two of the enhanced fighters joined Menken.

A whoosh sounded and CJ was standing between the fighters and the others. <Cal? I *really* wish this was you here not me...>

<Why?>

<As he proved in that gym... He actually knows how to fight... I don’t...>

<Just remember *they* aren’t invulnerable, Jay...>

The fighters lunged at Superman. One landed a punch and the unexpected force knocked CJ to the side. Faster than any of them could blink, though, he was back between the fighters and the potential hostages. This time when a punch landed the only reaction was that the man crumpled in pain from his broken fingers.

<How?>

<We can moderate the... um... rigidity? of our muscles... We’re still invulnerable no matter what... but I don’t want you to hurt your hand when you smack me...>

<Very funny, Clark...>

CJ tried to restrain the men while Menken backed away in shock. A moment later one of the fighters lunged at CJ, who dodged. The man careened towards Lois and Clark. Clark turned and shoved Lois to the ground, letting the man trip over his legs. CJ raced after the man only to freeze as a gunshot rang out. The fighter ran for the door as all eyes turned to Menken as he slumped to the ground.

<Cal, did he just...>

<I don’t know, Jay...>

Clark helped Lois to her feet and pulled her into his arms, shielding her from the body.

<Clark... Did Menken provoke Luthor or..?>

<I didn’t see, Lois... Jay?>

<I didn’t see either...>

CJ finally restrained the two fighters as Luthor calmly put his gun away.

Luthor looked at Lois. “I’m glad you’re safe, my Dear, I couldn’t take the chance that he would fire while Superman was... distracted.”

Lois forced a smile even as she pressed herself closer to Clark.

“Superman! I’m waiting for you! I want to see what makes you so Super!” a voice cut across their enhanced hearing.

Both twins tensed.

Garrison looked out at the crowd. “Where do you suppose this *Super*man's gone? You don't think he's *scared*, do you? Why would he be scared of me? SUPERMAN! Oh, *SUP*... ERMAN...!”

“Are you lookin’ for me?” Garrison whirled to find Superman leaning on a corner post of the ring.

“Yeah...” He shed his robe.

Superman approached him. “What's your pleasure?”

Garrison smiled. “A prize fight. Marquis of Queensbury rules?”

Superman bowed slightly. “Of course.” Before he even completed the bow, Garrison threw a punch at his face. Superman deftly caught the fist before it connected. “You were saying about rules?” He allowed Garrison to jerk away.

Garrison threw another punch. This time Superman did nothing to defend himself. The punch landed and Garrison immediately howled in pain, clutching his hand. He glared at the hero and tried again with his other hand. Both hands were now radiating pain and, with the robotics within them crushed, he backed away.

Superman considered him. “Something wrong?”

Garrison stared wide-eyed as Superman threw a punch, stopping millimeters away from his head. A flick of a finger against Garrison’s temple and the fighter collapsed to the ground, unconscious, and the crowd cheered.

<That was... hilarious!>

<Interesting show you put on there, Clark...>

<Thanks you, two...>

Perry scanned a small stack of papers. “This is a great follow-up, you two... I especially like how well you wrote Superman’s actions in the ring...”

<Cheat!>

<And you wouldn’t, Lois?>

<Not the point, Kent...>

“...no criminal charges against Dr. Lane... That's good... Oh, isn't this nice: Lex Luthor has offered to testify as a character witness before the medical ethics board. Good for Lex...”

Lois and Clark shared a look but snapped back to attention as Perry turned to them. “He carries a lot of weight in the community.”

Perry smiled and dropped the papers on Clark’s desk. “Circulation should go way up with this piece.” He left with a smile on his face.

Lois dropped into Clark’s lap. “Lunch?”

Clark grinned at her. “Sure. After all, we were *supposed* to be on a date last night...”

Perry stuck his head out of his office. “Kent! I got my old buddy back for poker so you’re home free!”

Lois called back. “And Jimmy can have my seat... I’m busy tonight!”

Perry frowned. “You’re not skipping out on us, are you, Lois?”

Lois smiled. “Allie woke up... Lucy, Dad and I are all visiting him tonight.”

Clark walked beside Lois, his arm casually around her shoulders. “You sure you want me to come?”

“Positive...” Lois peaked shyly at him. “You’ve made me a part of your family... I want you to be a part of mine... That means the good, the bad, and the bittersweet...”

“And which is this?”

“The good... the really good...”

The couple entered the hospital. In the waiting room they found Lucy and Sam Lane, sitting in a tense silence.

Lois freed herself from Clark. “Lucy? Daddy helped Clark and me expose Menken... and get at the guys who hurt Allie...”

Lucy smiled at her sister. “I know Lois, it’s just hard...” She looked at her father. “I’m sorry, Dad, but it is...”

Sam sighed. “I know, Lucy, but you’re here...” He noticed Clark. “Mr. Kent? I wasn’t expecting you here...”

Lois smiled. “I’ve met Clark’s parents, and of course his brother, so I thought it was only fair...”

Sam turned an interested gaze on her. “You’ve met Dr. Kent?”

Lois smirked. “Oh yeah, I’ve met CJ...”

Lucy giggled. “CJ and Lois like to tag-team tease Clark...”

Clark mock glared at her. “And *you’re* his secretary, Ms. Lucy!”

Sam turned surprised eyes to Lucy as she blushed. “You’re a secretary at the university?”

Lucy nodded shyly. “Yeah, Rachel suggested it and I love the job. I’m even thinking of taking some courses in the next semester...” She grinned widely. “It helps that CJ’s a great boss...”

Lois grinned at her sister. “CJ says you’re a great fit... and then there’s *Jimmy*...”

Lucy swatted at her older sister. “Hush, Lois! You may have brought your boyfriend tonight, but Jimmy was busy... Some last minute visit from his father...”

Sam smiled at his daughters as he distracted them from their minor disagreement. “We can’t go in quite yet... They’re running a few tests to make sure Allie’s up to visitors...” He turned back to Clark. “I heard your brother married right out of college...”

Clark nodded. “Yeah, he and Rachel had been dating since Junior High, engaged by the second year of college, and married right after he got his undergrad...”

Lucy beamed. “Rachel is so sweet! It’s hard to believe she’s a cop...”

“A cop?”

Clark chuckled. “CJ, Rachel and I all come from a small town in Kansas...”

“*Smallville*!” Lois couldn’t help but interject.

Clark rolled his eyes at her. “...thank you, Lois, and Rachel’s dad is the county sheriff... She worked in his office while CJ was an undergrad then went to the university and then to the police academy after they got married...”

“Is she in the MPD?”

“No, she applied and they told her they didn’t have any openings. Shortly after that she found out she was pregnant, so she’s put the idea of starting over on the shelf for the time being.”

Lucy piped in, “But she’s thinking about becoming an teacher instead of a cop...”

Clark ruffled her hair. “Between the two of you I can’t finish any sentences...”

“...and you don’t care,” Lois finished.

Clark just laughed and stole a kiss.

A nurse walked into the room. “Dr. Lane? Mr. Dinello is ready but we’re only allowing yourself and your immediate family...”

Clark smiled at Lois. “I’ll wait out here, Honey...”

Lois smacked his shoulder. “Quit trying to sneak in the ‘Honey’ thing...”

tbc...

Last edited by LabRat; 05/11/14 08:09 AM.

Sara "Lieta"