Print Thread
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Any thoughts?

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Love Kal-El in this (soon to be Clark as well if the ending of this part is any indication), particularly the way you've related his frustration in dealing with such random and innocuous things which the rest of us take for granted but would naturally cause trouble for someone so unfamiliar with our world.

More soon, pretty please? grovel

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Top Banana
Top Banana
Love the story..

I think Kal El still has some ways to go before he would reluctantly accept (like all other Clark Kents) that Lois Lanes are always right laugh

thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I still love this story, the way you write Kal's adjustments to both his powers and his new home is great.

And I loved when he was worried that Lois was a typical woman in how often she got in trouble, ~.^

Sara "Lieta"
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Good story, Beth. I think Kal is adjusting. He's starting to use English contractions at times, which tells me that he's getting more familiar with English. And he's letting Lois get little peeks at his life on Krypton. If they are going to end up together, they're both going to have to open up their pasts to each other. And I think they will, eventually, after lots of anguish.

There's some deep pain in Kal's recent past, and if Lois want to help him deal with it (which, of course, she does), she'll have to let him let her in on his terms, not hers, which will require some patience on her part. And maybe she could drop herself into fewer troubling situations which require his assistance. Otherwise he might think that she's doing this just to get his attention. But I like the way she's handling their relationship so far. She's listening and not pressing, making herself available to him, and most of all she's not treating him as if he's some kind of god in blue tights but rather as a man with some interesting talents.

Cute little aside about Kal still realizing how his powers can be used. He also could have burned through the ropes with his laser vision, or frozen them with his breath and let Lois shatter them, or cut them with his fingernails. Showing us (and Lois) that he's not all-knowing helps to humanize him in her eyes and in ours.

I like this Officer Brian, too. He could be a good friend for Kal as well as being a kind of unofficial go-between for Kal and the police department. And I'm interested to see just what ideas Jack has for Kal. My main concern is that he might have to present himself as a foreigner to explain his overly formal English.

Keep it up! Still reading and still interested. It's different to see Lois get to know the man first instead of the Superman.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, like everyone else here, very much like your portrayal of Kal and his difficulties in adjusting to life on Earth. I found it very interesting that Kal has not met any disagreeable people yet, much less any truly evil ones, but even so it is difficult for him to adjust to a world, and to social mores, which are so incredibly different from what he knew on Krypton.

I, too, like the way Lois is treating Kal here. I think she is doing a very good job of supporting him. I hope Kal will dare to open up to Lois eventually. As always, I think that Lois and Clark are meant to be together, and that goes for these two as well, even if Kal isn't Clark yet! But I hope he will be Clark before long.

Like Terry, I, too, like Officer Brian, and I hope he will prove to be a good friend of Kal's.

Looking forward to more, Beth! thumbsup

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story. Keep it coming. I see a Clark Kent on the horizon.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Somehow I missed giving FDK for the last part. Aargh! I’m so sorry. smile1

I can’t get over the feeling that Kal left some very big pieces of his life behind on Krypton. Something is just telling me that he’s hiding a lot of pain.

I’m happy with how their relationship is progressing. It feels very natural considering their situation. I do love this line
“I have only known you for a short time, yet it seems you are constantly getting into these extreme situations. Does this happen a lot to women here on Earth?”
rotflol

I'm also enjoying his struggles adapting to earth as an alien. His walk downtown was interesting. I do hope to see Clark Kent soon.

Bob

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“I have only known you for a short time, yet it seems you are constantly getting into these extreme situations. Does this happen a lot to women here on Earth?”

Lois had to grin at his apprehensive expression, probably a result of him contemplating his future on a planet filled with Lois Lanes.

“Not to most women,” she replied. “I’m a bit of a special case.”
A special case, indeed clap laugh rotflol

Beth, that was a wonderful part. And now Kal sees for himself why he needs a secret identity laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kal now recognizing the need for a secret identity. I like how he said things were so different on Krypton. When Clark was raised as one of us, he instinctively knew the necessity of a secret identity (or, Superman was the secret identity). Kal is clueless as to Earthian social mores, customs, etc.

Good job of pointing that out.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I liked the way he squatted down to the child's level to speak to her. Many adults need formal training to figure out that little bit of kindness. I also thought his confusion at not signing "Superman" was cute, as well. And the idea of worrying over whether or not signing his name was going to get him into legal problems, perhaps even bringing him into marriage was rotflol

Elisabeth

Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks so much for the comments, everyone! I'm glad to hear that Officer Brian was well received. He's definitely going to come in later, although he's not going to be a major character.

I'm so happy to see that so many people are enjoying this story. The next part is coming up right away.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard