Next part on Sunday!

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip), Rel and Michael!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 19

TOC

CJ landed easily near some policemen. “Officers, how may I help?”

One officer turned to him with a slight scowl, “Hello, Superman... I’m Bill Henderson...”

CJ blinked as he recognized the name of the man who had supported his wife.

Henderson didn’t notice the reaction as he continued to explain that the building had been evacuated and that they weren’t sure how to tell if the bomb threat was valid.

CJ frowned. “I can go into the building and see if I can find anything in there... At least if the bomb went off I wouldn’t be hurt...”

Henderson chuckled dryly. “That *is* one advantage...”

With a nod CJ turned and headed towards the building. He heard Lois calling out behind him as he entered the building and barely resisted rolling his eyes. He walked into the building and an instant later he was engulfed in flame as a large explosion went off. CJ froze and closed his eyes as shrapnel flew into him.

<Jay?!>

CJ took a breath and began to analyze the damage around him. <I’m fine, Cal...> The room was a totally destroyed and he shook his head at the waste before exiting the building. He didn’t bother trying to see through the smoke as he headed for the barricade.

“Lois! You’re bleeding!”

CJ froze at his twin’s exclamation before rushing towards the voice. As the smoke cleared, he saw Clark fussing over Lois but his twin had managed to block his view. He quickly moved forward. “Mr. Kent, Ms. Lane, are you two okay?” He got around Clark to see a gash on Lois’ temple.

Lois frowned before placing her hand on her head. “I’m fine... It’s just a scratch...”

CJ fought down a wave of panic as his vivid imagination instantly replaced Lois’ face with Rachel’s. “I should... check with the police... See if they know anything...” He fled quickly towards Henderson as Clark tried to convince Lois to see a parametric.

<Jay?>

<I’m fine, Cal...>

<You only call me Cal when one of us is upset...>

<Drop it, Clark.>

Henderson was talking rapidly into a walkie-talkie as CJ reached him. “Any idea what that was, Inspector?”

Henderson frowned. “There’s something weird here... There was no way a bomb could have been timed like that... It had to be remotely set off...”

CJ felt the blood drain from his face. “You mean...”

Henderson met his eyes. “Someone waited for you to walk in there and then hit a trigger... Thank God you got here after the evacuations were done...”

CJ gulped. “Yeah... Good thing... I...” His vision dimmed slightly as he fought to hide his turmoil from his twin. “I... need to go...” He sped into the sky before Henderson could reply. Just outside the planet’s atmosphere he let loose a silent, anguished scream. All he could think of was what could have been.

As Lois and Clark moved away from the paramedics, she poked him. “See? I was right... It *was* a flesh wound.”

Clark grabbed her hand and squeezed it briefly before releasing it. “All the same, thanks for getting it checked out.”

She bumped him with her shoulder then frowned. <Where’s CJ?>

Clark looked up and frowned. <I don’t know... I thought he would still be talking to the police...>

Lois saw a familiar face. “Henderson! What can you tell me?”

Bill Henderson frowned at her. “Lane... we really don’t have much...”

Lois sighed. “Come on, Bill... It’s been a long day, just tell me what you can...”

Henderson eyed her bandage. “All right... You mind him listening in?” He motioned to Clark, who had a distant look on his face.

Lois glanced at him. “Him? He’s my partner, of course he can listen in...” <Clark?>

Clark blinked. “Hi, I’m Clark Kent. We met when Dr. Platt...” <I can’t get a hold of CJ...>

Henderson nodded. “I remember. Partners, huh? You have my condolences, Kent.”

Lois glared. “Bill...” <Is that unusual?>

Clark just smiled. <Very... The only other time I couldn’t feel *something* from him was when... the whole Charlie King mess was going on...>

Henderson relented. “Well, the explosion was radio-controlled, activated from an unknown point of origin within a two-mile radius of this site. Also, there were video cameras installed in the lobby that were *not* park of the building's security system, or any other system that the management company knew about. We think the two are connected.”

The two reporters looked appalled. Clark was rigid. “So... someone was watching... and waiting...,” he broke off.

Lois was calmer but no less stunned, “Someone waited for Superman to go inside... and *then* set off the bomb?”

Henderson only nodded.

Clark frowned. “Did you tell Superman this?”

Henderson sighed. “Yeah... he looked pretty shaken up and he left pretty quickly...” Another cop hailed him and he walked off.

Clark and Lois shared a look and Lois bit her lip. “Another test...”

Clark nodded. “And I can think of one person with the resources and a possible motive to orchestrate this...”

Lois looked at him. “Clark... both the jumpers worked for LexCorp... I haven’t been able to research the others yet but...”

Clark closed his eyes. <*Jay!*> Beside him Lois flinched at the power of the call.

<Leave it, Cal... This idea just won’t work...>

Clark’s eyes went wide as he felt his twin shut him out once again.

Lois sat on Clark’s sofa listening while Clark talked on the phone. “Yeah Mom... I talked to Rach... She says CJ’s Suits are gone and he called in sick to work... She’s really worried and I am, too...” He began to pace. “No, mine are here but... I know... no Dad... He’s blocking me... I don’t know how... Yeah... We’ll keep trying... Bye.” He hung up.

After a moment he walked over and sat beside Lois, dropping his face into his hands. “I don’t know what to do...”

Lois bit her lip and wrapped her arms around him.

Rachel lay alone in her bed trying to fight back tears. CJ had never shut her out like this... They had had their ups and downs but... She lost her battle as a sob forced its way out.

An instant later she felt arms engulf her, “I’m here... Rach... Sweetie...”

With a startled gasp she pulled back and sat up. She took a few moments to calm herself before she looked back at him and glared. “CJ! Where have you been?!”

CJ’s face was grim. “Around... I just...” He closed his eyes and leaned into her. “I can’t, Rach...”

Rachel took a deep breath. “CJ... like I’ve said all along... You don’t have to be ‘Superman’...”

CJ pulled away and sighed. “So many people could have died today... Even Lois was hurt... Just so someone could see how we work...”

Rachel ran a hand through his hair. “All you have to do is tell Clark...”

CJ rubbed his hands up and down across his face. “I... Not yet...” A shudder shook his frame. “I can’t let him down...”

Rachel bit her lip. “You won’t be, Sweetheart...” She cupped his chin and forced him to look at her. “And right now you’re scaring him.”

CJ silently pulled her into his arms and held her tightly until they fell asleep.

When she woke in the morning he was gone. But she found a note tucked into her hand that said, ‘I love you, Rachel. I’ll be back when I’m ready to talk to Clark.’

Rachel rolled over and stared at the ceiling. “And I thought *Clark* had issues...”

That morning at the Planet Lois was sifting through files on the victims and assailants of the various crimes over the last few days. Several more of them had ties to LexCorp. A sound caught her attention. Clark was walking towards her. His face was tense and pale with none of his usual good humor in evidence. <Bullets this time... made of anything they could possibly find that would survive firing... silver, lead, steel, gold... even some crystals...>

Lois stood and pulled him into the conference room. Once inside she hugged him, which he returned tightly. “How’s Rachel?” she whispered.

Clark sighed. “She’s worried... but apparently she saw him last night...” He choked back what sounded like a sob. “It’s been almost 24 hours since he talked to me... Even before he at least talked to me...”

Lois tightened her arms. “It’s ok, Clark...”

Clark shuddered. “It was my idea...”

Lois pulled back enough to look at his face. His eyes were bleak. “Clark, you can’t let *him* blackmail you...”

Clark sighed. “I know... It’s just...”

Lois gripped each side of his face. “I know... you didn’t know how this would affect CJ... But Clark, he didn’t *let* you know...” Trying to offer comfort, she pressed her lips to his.

Clark jerked and embraced her as he returned the kiss.

A low whistle sounded from the door and the two jerked apart. Lois turned to face Cat in the open doorway of the conference room. Jimmy and Perry were behind her, both looking floored and several more of their co-workers were also staring.

Cat looked between the two for a long moment before looking Clark in the eye. “Well, no wonder you never accepted my offer...” She smirked and walked away.

Jimmy gave Clark a thumbs-up and Perry silently shook his head.

Lois was blushing fiercely as she and Clark returned to her desk and started to work.

<Sorry Lois...>

<Not your fault, Clark...>

<Still...>

Lois peeked at Clark and smiled. <That was about the *worst* way for the office to find out about us... and we’re still standing...>

Clark relaxed. <So, how sure are we that it’s Luthor?>

An eager Jimmy interrupted them, “Hey guys, I have an idea for a way to track down Superman!”

Lois turned to him while Clark sat back. “Let’s hear it.”

Jimmy smiled happily. “I just thought: if Superman is an alien, and came here from another planet, he'd have some kind of space ship. Track the ship somehow, find Superman...”

Lois looked him in the eye. “That’s a really good idea Jimmy...” <And I’m glad no one would be looking for a ship to carry two babies instead of a grown man...>

“I agree Jimmy,” Clark said, though noticeably subdued. <And that it’s in the storeroom under a barn in Kansas...>

Jimmy beamed at Lois but looked at Clark oddly. “Something up, CK?”

Lois jumped in. “CJ’s sick Jimmy, and Clark’s now a little run down, too.”

Jimmy grinned at her. “Hope you don’t catch it Lois!” He ran off before she could retaliate.

Lois shook her head and turned to Clark, but her eyes went wide as she stared at an empty seat. <Clark?!>

Superman landed nimbly on Luthor’s balcony; his face was set.

Luthor was inside and turned to face him. “Good day... Superman... Why don’t you come in?” He smiled engagingly.

Superman stepped forward, flinging his cape back. His eyes never wavered from Luthor’s. “You want to know how strong I am?” His voice had a new, dangerous edge.

Luthor reacted immediately. His smile faded and he straightened.

Superman picked up an ancient bronze sword, holding Luthor’s eyes he placed the edge against his palm and pressed. The sword buckled in several places before finally snapping in half. Superman flung it to the floor.

Luthor stared. “That belonged to Alex-”

Superman cut him off, “You want to know how *fast* I am?” He took a gun from Luthor’s collection. Luthor backed away in surprise as the hero calmly aimed the gun at him and fired. Before Luthor could blink, Superman’s hand rested on his forehead, the bullet in its grasp. Superman showed him the bullet before crushing it to dust in his fist.

Luthor reclaimed himself, “Does that conclude your demonstration?”

Superman looked him in the eyes, his face only inches from his opponent. Luthor shrank back as the hero’s eyes seemed to flash red for an instant. “The tests stop *now*!” The last word was a shout that caused the windows to shake.

Luthor visibly swallowed but held his ground. “Well... that would be nice... but what if they don’t?”

Superman smiled menacingly. “If I were you...”

Luthor’s face instantly cleared. He walked around the hero, his face a picture of innocence. “Me? I admit nothing... However, let’s assume that these tests continue... You can’t be everywhere at once, Superman.” He donned a jacket, smiling, though Superman’s gaze tracked his every move, eerily like a cobra, waiting to strike. “As long as you stay in Metropolis, innocent people will die. Are you willing to accept that responsibility? If I were you, I’d think about it.” Luthor, thinking he had won, turned for the door only to stumble back as he found Superman blocking his way.

Superman thought of the bomb and his eyes narrowed. “And I would think about *this,* Luthor... You don’t want to push me. Your transports could mysteriously start losing cargo, your warehouses could be found filled with ashes instead of riches... buildings you build or acquire may find that no matter what they do they cannot keep electricity or water running. Your manufacturing plants could find that their machines mysteriously produce parts that won’t work... Your money may be able to do a lot of things, Luthor, but can even *you* cover losses on that scale?”

Luthor’s gaze was stunned. He had obviously expected his nemesis to fold or to stupidly follow his noble path regardless of the consequences, not for him to find a way to meet the challenge. Luthor looked at the man before him with a new respect in his eyes. “You are a... challenge, Superman. A wise ruler knows when to withdraw to fight another day...”

Superman nodded his understanding. Neither would follow through on the threats made this day. He headed for the balcony and took to the sky.

Once above the clouds Clark finally relaxed. <Jay... If you can hear me, the tests are over...>

Lois paced back and forth in the Kent living room. Rachel sat on her couch looking at her hands, “Lois... CJ has always needed to work through things on his own...”

Lois stopped, her lips tight. “Which is fine... but now *Clark’s* gone too...” She let out a loud sigh and dropped down beside Rachel. <If either of you can hear me, you need to get to CJ and Rachel’s house *now* or I’ll start typing up a Pulitzer Prize winning article on just how Superman spends his spare time!> She looked at Rachel, “I wish I understood this... bond... thing better so I could really yell at them...”

Rachel’s eyes widened and she giggled. Once she calmed, she smiled at Lois. “Thank you... I needed that...” She soon sobered. “I just wish CJ had talked to Clark like we asked him to...”

“‘We’ meaning you, Martha and Jonathan?”

Rachel nodded. “Yeah, we all saw CJ when he wasn’t putting up a front for Clark... We all knew he wasn’t comfortable with the whole Superman idea...”

Lois frowned. “Then why did he ever wear the outfit?”

“I wore it for Clark...”

tbc...

peep

Last edited by LabRat; 05/11/14 08:13 AM.

Sara "Lieta"