Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
laugh After all, the police has the cage now wink

Part 5 / TOC

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
*claps loudly* Oh bravo! Loved this fic! Loved how Lois found out about Clark being Superman. I wondered how you were going to tie all the loose ends up - and I guess I'll have to wait for it!

A very awesome and enjoyable fic! Thank you so much!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I liked the chapter...

But.... shock

You are evil to end there!!!!! =p

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, Lois being galactically stupid, it makes sense she would send her loved one to the stars. :rolleyes: razz

[Linked Image]

Bye, bye!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Michael smile1 I'd love to see if you can top your oh-so-wonderful treatment of Lex. clap

Bob

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
hyper hyper

Delightful tale. Nice ending.

Framework4
Merriwether
Merriwether
You, sir, are evil. Pure evil. razz How can you leave it there?? I hope you get that sequel up soon!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well... I usually hate the NK arc, and all its people - I really do. But you know what? it actually worked pretty nicely, in this story. Your way of doing it pretty much cuts out all the crap that I hated from the NK arc anyway. hehe! So, yeah, well done on this! smile

It was quite a gripping story, too! smile Kept me on the edge of my seat - love that. The plot was interesting, and I like how you fixed things.

However......... this is so extra evil. There's no end!! And things *obviously* cannot be left this way. That's... seriously... EVIL.

You know... I was reading this, telling myself that it was likely this would be the last piece of FDK I left on an L&C story before I went back to Gotham for good. ...and you've made it impossible for me to go. I'm sure, wherever he is, Batman is probably fuming right now. *lol*

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well alright you can do a sequel for me because this is just mean<g> But it has to have an insy weensy bit of romantic smut in it as your penance for torturing us with this ending. shock

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Argh!

I read the comments and then sneaked in and read the last part. I knew that I was right to put off reading this. I will read it all, I promise -- but only after you fix this mess. So get busy, Michael!

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow... I can't believe that you let it end like that,that is so mean! whinging

But still I loved it! clap

Kathryn
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper hyper wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aarrgh! How could you end it like that? Well, very easily, obviously.

But I'm champing at the bit for a sequel! In fact, I'm demanding a sequel. You just can't leave Lois and Clark separated by galactic distances? And what about Lois? What's her reaction to realizing that she just sent her best friend off to an alien world to marry an alien princess? In the sequel, I'd like to see/hear more of her reaction.

And what about Perry and Henderson? And what about Clark? What a shock this must be for him. And will he regain his powers? After all, he's away from Earth's yellow sun!

There's so much you have to cover in a sequel.

Get writing! Right now!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Michael, you know what? I don't think I want a sequel. Oh, I'm not saying that you shouldn't write a sequel, only that I don't really want a sequel. And that is for two reasons. First I don't much care for this Clark and this Lois. She is too galactically stupid, and he is too notorious a liar to warrant much sympathy.

But there is a second reason why I don't want a sequel to this. In its own perverse way, this fic is perfet as it is. It is, in its own strange way, a perfect tragedy. No, I'm not talking about a LnC version of Hamlet here, where bodies litter the floor everywhere and only Horatio is left standing. But a tragedy does not necessarily have to mean a profusion of deaths. A well-written tragedy is is above all relentlessly logical, where the fatal flaws of the main characters inevitably lead to the tragic ending.

Now consider this fic. We all know what has ensued before the start of Michael's story: Clark has come to Metropolis and become smitten with Lois, but she dismisses him as a hack from Kansas. Clark makes his debut as Superman and Lois is incredibly taken by him, but Clark dismisses her adoration as shallow hero-worship.
Lois, somewhat frustrated by Superman's ambiguous response to her and contemptuous of Clark's advances, allows herself to be flattered and courted by Lex Luthor; also, with her usual galactic stupidity when it comes to discerning the character of men, she completely fails to see through Luthor's charming exterior. Clark, in desperation, offers her his farmboy persona in a proposal of marriage, Lois naturally turns him down and asks for Superman instead; Clark, superheroically miffed, denies her his spandex-clad persona, and Lois, being left with what she thinks is second best, accepts Lex's proposal.

Now consider Michael's fic. Lois is on the verge of marrying super-criminal Lex Luthor. Clark finally feels bad about having driven the woman he claims to love into the arms of such a horribly unsuitable suitor, so, full of hubris, he walks into Luthor's lair and flexes his Superman muscles, certain that he can bend the billionaire to his will. However, Luthor, unlike Clark, has come prepared for this encounter, and with contemptuous ease and a chunk of Kryptonite he saps the strength of the marvel of Metropolis.

Now the stage is set for utter tragedy. Lois, blissfully ignorant but full of hubris and confidence in her own judgement, is about to marry one of the most dangerous criminals in the world, while her hero Superman, felled by his own hubris, lies dying in a Kryptonite cage in Luthor's wine cellar. Nothing can save the day. However, now enters deus ex machina, gods from above, in the shape of Kal-El's wife from Krypton, her lieutenant and a shape-changing killer from Krypton. The shape-changer learns of Kal-El's interest in one Lois Lane and changes into Lois's mother, so that he can find Kal-El by making Lois Lane take him to his target. He is brought to Lois as she is preparing for her wedding to Luthor in the Lex Tower. Zara and Ching are in hot pursuit of the changeling to prevent him from killing Kal-El, and they find Tez with Lois. She realizes that her 'mother' is an impostor and takes him out. Zara and Ching inform her that Superman is being held captive in the Lex Tower. With the help of Zara and Ching, but mostly thanks to her own heroic efforts, Lois manages to liberate the almost unconscious Superman. Meanwhile, the changeling has changed into Lois and married Lex Luthor in his continued efforts to find information that will lead him to Kal-El. Lex, jealous that 'Lois' is talking so much about Superman, takes 'Lois' with him as he plunges to his death to avoid capture by the police.

Thus tragedy has seemingly been avoided. Lex Luthor is dead. The changeling that would kill Kal-El is dead. Lois has been saved from a fate worse than death by Zara and Ching, and and she has broken her hero out of Luthor's Kryptonite trap and saved his life.

But alas, Clark and Lois are unable to break out of their own tragic pattern. Clark can't tell Lois that he has lied to her, and that he is two different people. Lois can't stop seeing Clark and Superman as two different people. And the 'gods' from Krypton demand their dues. By the laws of Krypton, Zara is already married to Kal-El. She needs him to go to Krypton with her to prevent a war there. Lois, having 'learnt her lesson', now realizes that she loves Clark more than Superman. So, generously, she helps Zara ship Superman off to Krypton to be married, certain that Clark is waiting for her at home.

There is an abundance of delicious little ironies, comebacks and symmetries here, the most drool-worthy probably being Luthor's marriage (and kiss of) Tez-as-Lois. But consider the Lois-Clark-Superman triangle, too. As Superman, Clark risked his life to save Lois from Luthor, and he almost lost his life that way, too. So Lois owed him. But Lois settled her debt to Superman by saving his life. Superman, on the other hand, ultimately did nothing for Lois. He never came through for her in any way at all. He didn't accept her romantic ouvertures. He didn't warn her about Lex Luthor. He didn't interrupt her wedding or save her from Lex Luthor. He did, in fact, prove himself utterly useless. So Lois sent him back to Krypton. What a delicious irony!

Ah, but Lois was cruel to Clark. She turned him down both in favor of Superman and in favor of Lex. So when she finally decided that he was the man that she loved after all, she belatedly realized that she had indeed gone past the point of no return and shipped Clark off to Krypton! Delicious irony is just the middle name of this!

It is perfect. It is relentlessly logical. It needs a sequel about as much as Romeo and Juliet needs a sequel.

Romeo: Bluuuurrrrrphcchhh!!!!

Juliet: What, Romeo, dost thou puke?

Romeo: What, Juliet, dost thou bleed?

Juliet: 'Tis only a flesh wound. The knife only cut off my ring finger. But, Romeo, why ist thou not dead?

Romeo: Damn apothecary sold me some cheap vodka. 'Tis not much of a poison.

Juliet: Well, I needst to go home and change. There is puke and blood on my dress!

Romeo: What? Thou can't go home! Dost thou want them to kill me? And dost thou want to marry that sissy Paris?

Juliet: Now that thou bringest it up, the man dost have a certain charm... and this dress dost smell yucky....

Romeo: Juliet!!!! Come back!!!!

So... sequel? No, I don't think so!

Ann

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Everyone ! hyper
However......... this is so extra evil. There's no end!! And things *obviously* cannot be left this way. That's... seriously... EVIL.
Now I’m feeling all warm and fuzzy blush
You know... I was reading this, telling myself that it was likely this would be the last piece of FDK I left on an L&C story before I went back to Gotham for good. ...and you've made it impossible for me to go.
/looks/ No way! /looks again/ Oh, wow. I mean, WOW. Really, that’s… wow! Thanks so much, Lara!

/off prepping FDK part 2/

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Laura, romantic smut? Hmm, I guess Lois can go and get herself a job as a concupain in Clark’s royal butt laugh Thanks so much for reading and I’m glad you enjoyed smile

Hi, Nan! LOL and wow and thanks smile
I will read it all, I promise -- but only after you fix this mess. So get busy, Michael!
Aye, Ma’am! /points to bottom of post/

Hey, Kathryn! You came in here and read and FDK’ed! Thanks smile
I just hope that there will be a sequel soon, please.
/points to bottom of post/
I tried to tell myself through the whole story he won't leave there will be another way but no *sigh* Clark left...
Thanks. And *yay* to loving it smile

Iolanthe, LOL to your first line and thanks so much smile
But I'm champing at the bit for a sequel! In fact, I'm demanding a sequel.
Yeah, yeah, yeah… And this from the woman who took out Lois Lane wink
In the sequel, I'd like to see/hear more of her reaction.
Oh, yes. Definitely. Can’t wait to find out myself how much Lois will be angry, how much she will feel guilty, and what will happen when she tells M&J that their only son got shipped off on a one-way trip to Never-Never-Land.
Get writing! Right now!
ASAP. I promise.

I guess Tank had it *way* easier with his endings, huh? All he had to do was post a story and Wendy would do a sequel lol So, since I’ll be doing this one myself, it will take a couple of weeks. Sometime end of February, I hope, given how I’ll be shooting for another 5-parter.

I’m really glad the ending wasn’t a total bust. Thanks for being such a great audience and it’s been a real pleasure posting this for you smile

Michael

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
A supernova, Ann?
Nope, a massive star forming region. You can see a cluster of bright blue stars whose radiation has blown a bubble in the surrounding gas cloud. As the gas is compressed, parts of it are collapsing into new clusters. Unfortunately I don't recognize this particular cluster and nebula - I just googled 'space' and 'universe' to see what I would find - but you can see the similarity between the cluster I posted and massive star forming region NGC 604 in our neighbouring galaxy M 33:

Massive star forming region NGC 604

Here is a famous supernova remnant, the Crab Nebula. You can see that the nebula is torn and tattered, as it is made up of the outer atmosphere of the star that blew itself apart. And there is no obvious cluster in the center, although you can see the incredibly hot and compact remnant of the star that blew up.

Crab Nebula supernova remnant

Ann

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
cool cool cool

Michael smile

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hah!!!! I found the nebula and the cluster!!!! smile1 hyper jump

It is obvious from the picture that we are talking about a huge, massive cluster and a huge, massive, multiple kind of nebula. And yet I didn't recognize it. I think I have a moderately good idea of what all the massive well-known clusters with associated nebulae look like in the Milky Way, and this wasn't one of them! And I realize I'm sort of overstaying my astronomy welcome here, but I can't resist posting the only two Milky Way nebulae with clusters that resemble the complex I posted. The most well-known would be the Rosette Nebula - please note the central cluster and the central bubble blown in the nebula by the cluster:

The Rosette Nebula

There is also the magnificent RCW 49 nebula with the spectacularly massive Westerlund 2 cluster in the center:

RCW 49 and Westerlund 2

But apart from these two magnificent nebulae I don't know of any other nebula in the Milky Way which has this elegant cluster-bubble-surrounding nebula kind of structure. So we'd better look for my mystery nebula in another galaxy. But which one? Well, the Large Magellanic Cloud would be an excellent candidate, since it is the nearast of all moderately largish neighbouring galaxies, and it has a lot of star formation and therefore an abundance of nebulae. So I needed a good image of the Large Magellanic Cloud, so I could scrutinize the nebulae!

Here is an image of the Large Magellanic Cloud which really brings out the nebulae:

[Linked Image]

Look at the nebula at top right! Doesn't it look a lot like my nebula?

I needed a better image of the Large Magellanic Cloud! Here is a labelled image of this galaxy, where all the important clusters and nebulae get names:

Labelled image of the Large Magellanic Cloud

And take a look at that complex named NGC 1760-63!

So I googled NGC 1763, and look what I came up with! Woo-hooo!!!

[Linked Image]

It's the same cluster and nebulae, only with a somewhat different color balance and orientation. But it is the same complex! Hah! jump

Ann

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Thought of something... Lois never had to get to the 'Lois Lane... Kent' stage... nor did she face Luthor at the alter...

And I forgot to say... ending off on just "Holy..." was classic, =P

Sara "Lieta"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard