Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for all the great FDK. I’m really happy this story has found so many readers smile

Again, big thanks to my great BRs, Mona, Kmar, and Carol. They are doing a stellar job at this smile

Disclaimer: The recognizable characters and settings in this story are the property of D.C. Comics, Warner Bros., December 3rd Productions, and anyone else with a legal right to them, and I have no claim on them whatsoever, nor am I profiting by their use. It’s just the original stuff, that would be mine, written down to bring some entertainment to other FoLC.

Blocks in < > are literal thoughts by the character or telepathic communication.

Rating: PG

Part 2 left Lois with Zara and Ching after she had realized that her finance, Lex Luthor, wasn’t everything he was cracked up to be. In fact, he was actually a criminal mastermind instead of a philanthropist. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, her mother had been replaced by an alien assassin, and Superman was locked up and surrounded by Kryptonite somewhere inside Lex Tower.

Part 3 / TOC / Comments

Lois watched from their hiding place down in the hallway as Zara ‘spoke’ with Superman.

“The wine cellar,” the Kryptonian woman informed them after Lois had given her a special message for Superman.

Sometimes Superman could be *really* dense. Put him into a suit and give him a pair of glasses, and he would be almost as bad as Clark… She shook her head over the notion and told her companions, “Thank god. At least he isn’t in some secret room somewhere.” Lois started to plot the best way to get to her friend when she noted that Zara had grown stiff. Or more stiff than usual. “What?”

Zara looked like she was going to be sick, and after a moment Ching answered. “Zara has lost contact with Kal-El.”

“What?” Lois felt a cold fist around her heart. “What do you mean, ‘lost contact’?” She glared at the other woman.

“There was intense pain.” She took a deep breath. “And then he was gone.”

“Nonononono, this can’t be happening now…” Lois felt tears welling up in her eyes. “He can’t be dead.” She griped the lapel of Zara’s suit jacket and pulled her along. “We *have* to find him.” She had to find a servant, a cook, or someone. Anyone who knew the way to the rat-bastard’s wine cellar. And this was a wedding. There was bound to be staff all around, and she had two Kryptonians at her side. That should be enough to confront an army…

The hunter slowly drifted in and out of consciousness. It still had trouble understanding what had happened. One moment, its master’s enemies had come into the room, together with one of the creatures that populated this world. It knew that it had no choice but to attack. They would realize that it was the hunter. And then it had awoken to find its limbs bound and its mouth gagged. It had failed and got ready to terminate its existence. Then a flash of memory surfaced. Kal-El, its target, was held by the creature that was called ‘Luthor’. And the other creature, ‘Lois Lane’, was associated with it.

“Status!” Lex snapped into the walkie-talkie as he rushed down the hallway to his fiancée’s dressing room.

“Sir,” the distinguished, British accent of his butler Nigel came steadily through the speaker. “It appears that the future Mrs. Luthor and Mrs. Cox have been attacked as well. The future Mrs. Luthor appears to be mostly unhurt but was tied up with a telephone cord. Mrs. Cox is still unconscious.”

Luthor paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. “Thank you, Nigel.” He readjusted his tie and walked down the long hallway at a more appropriate pace. “I will be there momentarily.”

“Very well, Sir.”

He continued on his way, mentally reviewing the events of the past few minutes. First, Lois’ mother had been found bound and gagged in the ladies’ room, and then it had taken his staff a full *two minutes* before they had informed Nigel of the situation. His butler had, of course, performed to his usual standards and immediately gone to look after his fiancée. Lex made a mental note to find out the names responsible for this disgraceful faux pas in security. And then Nigel would see to it that they would be properly dismissed.

“Right this way, Sir,” Nigel greeted him at the door to the dressing room. “The future Mrs. Luthor is awaiting your arrival.”

Lex barely nodded at his butler as he strode into the room. One look told him there had been quite a struggle. The mirror on the vanity was destroyed, several vases were lying on the floor, and a member of his staff was providing first aid to Mrs. Cox, who wasn’t yet recovered. Lois was sitting on the futon, an older, blond woman beside her, holding her hand. Her mother, obviously.

“Lois, my dear,” Luthor greeted her with his best smile. “I’m inconsolable that this has happened.” He lowered himself to Lois’ other side, resting an arm around his fiancée. “On your wedding day, no less.” His voice grew hard. “Let me assure you, I will not let those responsible escape justice.”

Lois turned to look at him and so did her mother.

Lex rose from the futon and bowed slightly. “Lex Luthor, Mrs. Lane. I apologize this meeting has to be under such unfortunate circumstances.”

“Yes, well. What can I say, Mr. Luthor,” the older woman blustered.

“Lex, please.” He afforded his future mother-in-law his best smile.

“Mr. Luthor,-”

Apparently Lois’ mother was still a bit distant. He had of course heard about the unfortunate incident where she had declined the use one of his limousines for arriving at the wedding. This was a matter he would have to address at a later point in time.

“-I find it *very* disturbing that I was mugged *inside* your building.”

“As I said, Mrs. Lane, I’m inconsolable about this horrific breach of security.” His voice grew hard, and he looked back and forth between Lois and her mother. “Unfortunately, my assets, and Lois, have recently become the focus of criminal attacks. Apparently, the heinous attack on the Daily Planet-” Lex made sure to squeeze Lois’ hand reassuringly. “-had only been the start of a very broad-based conspiracy against my beautiful bride and myself.”

Mrs. Lane simply glared at him.

Lex took a calming breath and focused on Lois while his mind tried to come up with potential names for the intruders. He was sure that Lois would not have ended up unconscious if her partner had been a part of this coup. Kent was a wimp. A wimp with an unhealthy infatuation with his fiancée. It didn’t matter. Kent would be joining the fish in Hobbs river soon enough.

“Lois,” Luthor started again, “are you still up for the wedding or should we postpone?”

“No.” Lois shook her head. “Lex.” A timid smile was on her lips. “I want to be with you.”

“Thank you, my dear.” Lex brushed a kiss against the corner of her mouth. “This is the Lois I love,” he whispered while he pondered if the hairdresser had left a spot of hairspray or some other chemical on her skin. “Never letting herself getting drawn under.” Lois smiled back at him as he cradled her cheek. “Then I won’t keep you.” He rose. “I will see you in front of the minister.” There was no need to spoil the surprise that the archbishop would perform the ceremony.

Lex strode towards the door and looked at Nigel. “Make sure my fiancée is ready for the ceremony on time. I do not wish for this to become part of today’s gossip column.”

“I understand, Sir.”

“Good. Good.” Lex nodded his head towards the hallway, stepping outside and was closely followed by his butler, who looked expectantly at him. “I want those responsible found and… dealt with.” His quiet voice left no opportunity for misunderstanding. “Silently.”

“I shall make the appropriate arrangements.”

“And Nigel?” Luthor eyed his butler with piercing eyes. “Our… guest needs to be checked upon as well.”

“I shall personally ensure he is still secure.”

“Good.” There was an edge to his voice when he spoke his next words. “And no more mistakes.”

“Certainly, Sir.” Nigel nodded his understanding and went towards the freight elevator that was located around the corner on the far end of the hallway, talking into his walkie-talkie about security and assistance for the future Mrs. Luthor.

The master of Lex Tower nodded and turned back towards the reception area. It was time he entertained his guests until the wedding could commence. He did not doubt Nigel’s efficiency, but given the upheaval, Lois might not make it on time after all. Something he would have to take care off in future arrangements.

Lois watched as Ching looked out into the hallway – through the slightly opened door. She had mentioned it to her companions, but they had not yet mastered x-ray-vision.

“There is an older man coming,” Ching whispered. “He appears to be talking into some device.”

“Let him pass,” Lois whispered back. “We don’t need the risk of someone reporting in on an interrupted conversation.”

Ching nodded and let the door close a bit more.

“I’m headed for the wine cellar and will be out of reach until I return.”

Lois knew that voice. Her eyes narrowed and her breathing sped up. Could it be this easy? She continued to watch with a racing heart as Nigel St. John walked past her, clipping the walkie-talkie onto his belt. “Ching, can you grab him? And make sure he doesn’t use the walkie-talkie.” She reached out a hand to steady his arm. “And be careful.”

The Kryptonian nodded and together they watched until the older man had walked past the door and was pressing the call-button for the elevator. Then she saw Ching rushing out the door without as much as a whisper. He wasn’t a blur like Superman, but he still moved faster than any human she had ever seen.

A moment later Ching beckoned them closer; the butler was firmly restrained by one arm around his arms and waist and the other around his mouth. It was obvious that the Englishman was trying to free himself, but it was to no avail.

Lois slipped out the door and Zara followed. The elevator was just a few feet away, and Lois saw the eyes of Luthor’s manservant grow wide as he took her in. Lois simply eyed him coldly, and they waited together until the elevator arrived.

“Which floor,” Lois snarled when the doors closed behind them. St. John continued to glare, and Lois followed-up on her first question, “I know that you have Superman locked up in the wine cellar, and I want to know which floor. You can either tell me, or my friend here will become *very* unpleasant.”

Ching seemed to get the hint, and she saw the older man’s body stiffen as the pressure around his kidneys continued to build. Finally, St. John nodded, and Ching loosened the hand he had over the other man’s mouth just a little. “Basement One.”

“Thank you.” Lois turned around and pressed the appropriate button. “Now, are there guards down there?”

This time the butler seemed more cooperative and shook his head. “Key. Left pocket.”

“See, I knew we could come to an understanding.” Lois smiled coldly and reached into the older man’s pocket for the key. “I’ll make sure to tell Henderson how cooperative you’ve been.”

St. John tried to struggle harder but Ching continued to restrain him. “Is his assistance still required?”

“No…,” Lois mumbled absentmindedly as she played with the key in her hand. “I think we can…” She didn’t get a chance to finish the sentence as the Kryptonian rammed Luthor’s right hand man head first against the wall. Hard. “What did you do that for?” Lois snapped as she eyed the lifeless body Ching was now lowering to the floor.

“He is only unconscious, and we cannot risk him notifying his superiors,” Ching justified his actions.

Lois couldn’t believe this! Her eyes found Zara’s who looked startled but not upset.

“Lieutenant Ching is responsible for the safety of this mission,” the Kryptonian woman stated. “And I believe you threatened this man as well.”

“That’s different!” Lois was flabbergasted. “You can’t just go around, knocking people out like… like…” Those people might have Superman’s powers but they surely lacked his moral compass. She could only hope they would leave after freeing him, because she did *not* want to have two loose cannons flying around in Metropolis. Or anywhere else, for that matter. The fake Superman had been bad enough.

She did not have time for more as the elevator dinged to announce their arrival. Ching moved in front of the door and was out first, making sure there was no one lying in wait for them. By now Lois was halfway glad they didn’t meet anyone because she feared what would happen to them if they did.

They found themselves in a utilitarian corridor without any of the usual decoration she had come to associate with Luthor’s home. Even his ‘Ark’ had looked more polished. She shuddered at the memory of the apartment Luthor had had ready for her. Apparently, only the servants used this part of the tower.

Lois looked around. There was a set of doors to the left and as she moved closer, she could see a label on it, stating ‘Cleaning Supplies’. She let go of the breath that she had been unconsciously holding. Now they just had to walk down the corridor until they found the wine cellar. She turned around to look at Ching. “Leave Nigel in the door. That way the elevator will be blocked.”

Ching did as he was told and Lois ran down the corridor, closely followed by her newfound associates. She reached a big set of sliding doors and read the words she had been looking for – ‘Wine Cellar’. Her hand gripped the heavy handle and she remembered the key still in her right hand.

Lois held her breath when she pushed the key in. It fit. She turned the small piece of steel in the lock and heard a distinct ‘click’ before she pulled on the handle and started to push the door open. There was a green glow emanating from the inside and she heard two gasps behind her. It took Lois a second to catch up, and then she pulled the door closed again with a forceful shove.

Turning around, she looked at the two, suddenly very pale, Kryptonians. “You guys better head back towards the elevator.” Zara and Ching nodded in agreement, and Lois waited until they were several yards away before reopening the door.

She peeked her head carefully inside. There were racks upon racks of wine bottles and a big set of wooden doors that stood halfway open, letting the green light into the outer room. Apparently there was more to this wine cellar than just a storage room.

Lois carefully stepped into the next room and gasped. It was huge. And when she said ‘huge’, she meant *huge*. The walls appeared to be made of rough-hewn stone and the ceiling was easily twenty feet above her. There where casks everywhere. Small ones. Large ones. And even one that had to be the size of a swimming pool.

But all this display of pomp didn’t matter right now because the prominent centerpiece of the room was a cage, about ten feet long and wide. The bars emanated a slickly green glow, and in the middle she could see a familiar blue and red shape. Superman. And he wasn’t moving.

She didn’t notice the sob that escaped her throat as she rushed over to the cage, looking for the door. “Superman!” she called out. “Can you hear me?” She rattled against the bars and when she finally found the door, Lois fell to her knees in front of it, taking a closer look. It wasn’t a modern cylinder lock, but instead looked like a classic ward lock. She knew her lock-picking skills did not include those old contraptions, not to mention the fact that she didn’t even have her lock-picks with her.

Lois looked around frantically. She could see tons of wooden appliances associated with the age-old art of making wine, a couple of candleholders, and several paintings. What she didn’t see was a yellow arrow pointing her to a key that would unlock Superman’s prison cell. Her eyes finally traveled up the stairs and she saw a fire axe hanging there.

<It’s worth a try,> Lois told herself as she rushed up the stairs and pulled the tool from the wall. The handle was longer than her outstretched arm and the whole thing weighed at least six pounds, if not more. Gritting her teeth, Lois hastened back down, holding onto the axe with both hands.

“Okay, Superman,” she told the lifeless figure while resting the blade against the lock. “Here goes nothing.” And with those words, Lois lifted axe high above her head and slammed it back down with all the strength she could muster. She felt the impact vibrating through her body as the axe jumped back from the metal and crashed to the floor.

“Oomph!” Lois exclaimed and drew in several breaths before she eyed the door, looking for possible damage. The box holding the lock was bent out of shape. “Well, that’s something at least.” She hefted the axe and took careful aim before she brought it down against the lock for a second strike. This time, her efforts where accompanied by a scream of fury, and she heard the echo of the impact reverberating across the room.

“Lois Lane?” Zara’s voice drifted into the room, muffled by the walls and corners between them. “Are you able to perform your task?”

Lois gritted her teeth and took a breath before calling back, “Yeah, yeah! I’ll have to, right!?” And then a bit quieter she mumbled to herself, “I just have to…,” as she looked at the lifeless figure inside the cage. “I just have to…” She shook her head and looked back at the door, astonished to see that the axe was still lodged into the lock-box. The blade had sunk two inches into the metal, and she had to stem her foot against the bars so she could get the axe free again.

Once that was accomplished, Lois stepped closer and took in the damage she had managed to cause to the cage while she rested the axe against the floor. She was elated to see the faceplate was twisted out of shape and the rest of the lock-box was bent backwards in addition to the gaping tear right down the center. “I guess that’s good, huh?” she asked the empty air around her before a tremble in her right arm made her pause.

She gripped her offended biceps and started to massage the muscle as she contemplated her next move, besides whacking the lock again. Unfortunately, she wasn’t sure if she could manage a third swing with the same effectiveness and decided on a different tactic next. Lois raised the axe’s head to the damaged lock and pushed the sharp blade behind the twisted faceplate before she started to pull against the handle. “Come on… Pop off, you sucker,” she mumbled while the metal screeched as it gave way little by little.

Suddenly the axe fell to the floor, and Lois jumped away with a yelp, partially from the shock at the loud clatter and partially to avoid getting hit by the blade. She wheezed out a breath and looked at the door again. The faceplate was now twisted almost all the way off, and she could easily see the tumblers inside the lock.

A minute later the door swung open and Lois rushed inside, dropping to the floor next to an unmoving Superman. “Come on, Superman, you can’t be dead,” she pleaded, trying to find his pulse before she dropped her ear to his chest and listened for his heart when she couldn’t find a the beat on his neck. Her own heart stopped as she held her rasping breath in an attempt to be as silent as possible. Then she finally heard it. It was faint and weak, but it was a heartbeat. “Thank god,” she breathed out and felt the tension leaving her body. “Thank god, you’re still alive,” she whispered as tears streaked down her cheeks.

After about a minute of catching her breath, Lois got back on her feet and reached for Superman’s arms. “Come on,” she went on. “I got to get you out of here.” She tugged at his outstretched limbs. “This cage is killing you.” Lois managed to move Superman a foot or so before she had to pause to take a deep breath. “Boy, you really are heavy, aren’t you?” She turned so she was facing him and with the door now right behind her, leaned back in the hopes of using her body weight to help pull him. Superman suddenly moved another two feet, and Lois landed flat on her behind, causing her to swear loudly and obscenely.

“Is there a way we can help you?” Zara called again.

“Not really…!” Lois called back. “Unless you want to come in here and get knocked out by that stuff as well.” She pulled herself back to her feet and pushed a sweaty lock of hair from her face. “And *then* I’d have to get *your* heavy butts out of here, too, in addition to your stupid cousin’s.”

She took a deep breath and reached for the blue-clad limb before her eyes fell onto the red cape. “I wonder…,” she mumbled as she began to examine the fabric. The red cloth didn’t appear to be sewn onto the suit but rather held in place on the inside. Lois started to tug at the cape, working it out from underneath Superman’s heavy body. “Why did they have to use steel, hmm? Why can’t you be made of Kevlar instead?” she muttered as she worked to roll his body to his side and partially lift it until the cape was completely freed from his body.

“Okay, good,” she exclaimed as she wiped her arm across her forehead to get rid of the sweat running down her face in heavy droplets. The jeans material scratched over her skin and she decided to discard her jacket. Thus relieved, Lois picked up the cape and gave it a sharp yank. Apparently whoever had designed the suit knew what she was doing as the entire getup seemed to be holding.

Lois crouched down again and carefully adjusted the cape underneath Superman’s head before she took two steps back and wrapped the bottom end of the cape around her hands. Then she started to pull the fabric taught and steadily increased the tension until the heavy body of the superhero started to move.

The fabric tore into her arms and wrists and each foot gained was accompanied by very inappropriate curses. That was, until something suddenly gave way and Lois stumbled onto the floor in an ungraceful heap. “What now!?” she spat before she crawled back to her feet, rubbing her offended derrière in the process. One look at the cape told her the story. Apparently, the material hadn’t been as sturdy as she had thought and was now torn off almost completely.

“Great!” Lois exclaimed with a heavy sigh. She looked around. There were still several feet between her and the door to the storage room. Shaking her head, she bunched the cape together and placed it on Superman’s chest before she grabbed his arm again. “I just hope your shoulder is stronger than your cape…” Then she started to pull once more on his limb.

Finally her back bumped against the wooden door and she paused. “Okay, you stay right here while I get this door out of the way,” she told the unconscious superhero. Then she turned around and started to swing open the second half of the heavy oak door so she didn’t have to drag Superman around any more corners than necessary. “You ready to leave the room?” Lois asked Superman and resumed her combination of cursing and dragging.

Superman finally rested inside the storage room and Lois kneeled beside him, looking at the heavy doors again. “I wonder…” She pulled herself to her feet and dragged the doors closed before she called out into the hallway through the open sliding door, “Hey, Zara, Ching! Do you still feel the Kryptonite?”

There was the sound of footsteps and a moment later she heard Ching’s voice. “It is bearable.”

“Good!” she called back. “Then why don’t you come in here and help me with your cousin.”

“Excuse me?” Ching sounded confused.

“Superman!” Lois rolled her eyes. “Get in here and drag him out because I’m about to faint myself, okay?”

Lois heard something that sounded like the garble language from earlier, and she assumed it was Kryptonian. Only, it also sounded distinctly unpleasant. Then Ching’s head appeared around the corner and the rest of his body followed. He nodded at her and picked the limp form of Superman up without saying another word.

She let go of a relieved sigh and dragged herself out into the hallway before she reached for the door handle and yanked it shut. This task accomplished, she felt the adrenalin leaving her body and collapsed against the cold metal, the exhaustion finally getting the better of her.

After the first confusion and the chance to make contact with the creature named ‘Luthor’, the hunter had found itself in the middle of a frenzy. Creatures had rushed about and pulled at its imitated hair and guided it into the white cloth the hunter had noticed earlier. The colorfully clad prey it had imitated before continued to prod it with questions about its health and the hunter had begun to consider violating its contract if it meant silencing this particularly annoying creature.

And then the frenzy had stopped and the hunter was being led down another passageway and into a grand room filled with more of the weak creatures. It had not been sure what to do, but had been told to move past the creatures and to the front. At least, there the creature named ‘Luthor’ was waiting. Hopefully it would soon get the chance to be alone with this creature and inquire about Kal-El.

Once she had managed to catch her breath, Lois slowly followed Zara and Ching to the elevator. Ching had placed his charge on the floor next to the unconscious St. John and was apparently checking on Superman’s health.

“Will he be okay?” Lois asked weakly as she eyed the still unconscious Superman. His hair was tousled and sweat-soaked, and his face was pale and glistened from perspiration.

Ching looked up from where he was kneeling. “Yes. Kal-El’s vital functions appear to be stable, if weak.”

Lois closed her eyes and sent a short ‘Thank you’ to whoever was listening out there before her mind returned to the practical aspects of their escape. “We’re not home free, yet.” She looked at Superman’s brightly colored suit. “And I don’t think it’s a good idea to advertise that Superman is out of it right now.”

Ching simply stared back at her, and Zara’s look was pretty blank as well.

She closed her eyes and took a calming breath. “We need to disguise him.” Lois pointed towards St. John. “Ching, help me strip off his jacket and pants so we can pull them over Superman’s suit. That should hide him from the eyes of nosey reporters when we get outside.” She paused for a moment as another thought hit her. “Oh, and I think it would be good to tie him up.” She indicated St. John using the tip of her foot.

This time Ching nodded in understanding and started to look around before he grabbed the bunched up cape still lying on Superman’s chest. He yanked sharply and tore it off completely before he proceeded to rip it into strips. “This will do.”

Lois nodded and got to work on St. John’s belt. Soon the English ‘gentleman’ had lost his jacket and pants, leaving him in his white dress-shirt and fine-rip underwear complete with black socks that reached halfway up to his knees.

Ching then lifted Superman far enough so Lois and Zara could start pulling the grey suit-pants over Superman’s red boots and blue spandex; the pants were wide enough to be pulled over the boots. The jacket was next, and Lois stood up to eye her masterpiece critically. “Well, I guess that should work, unless someone takes too close a look.”

Nodding, Ching turned towards St. John and began tying him up. Then he moved Superman into the elevator and pulled the tied-up butler inside as well.

“Ching, can you hold Superman up?” Lois asked the Kryptonian. “You know, around his waist and with an arm dragged over your shoulder, like he is just drunk or something.”

“Drunk?”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Yeah, you know… Too much alcohol?” She only earned more confused stares. “Geez, do you people not party at all?” She pointed towards the sitting form of the superhero. “Get him to his feet, I’ll show you what I mean.” Some prodding and pulling later, Lois nodded, satisfied with the outcome. “Good, at least now only the gossip columns will have something to write about.” She turned around and pressed the button for the ground floor. “And now we just have to walk out the door. How hard can this be…”

tbc

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.