Description: Clark becomes more deeply involved in Justice League matters, causing Lois to start questioning the influence the League is having on her husband.

It probably helps to read “Bureaucracy” first in order to better understand this. You can find it here

I actually hadn't planned a sequel when I wrote the first one, but then I got the idea for this one in my head and said "eh, why not". So it might not be as good as the first one.

Notes: Captain Marvel is a superhero whose secret identity is a 10-12 year old kid. He transforms into an adult Superman-like hero (and back to a kid again) by shouting “Shazam!” or something like that. Skeet is Booster Gold’s robot sidekick/assistant.

“But *Clark*, what happened to our quiet evening together?” Lois asked her husband despairingly.

“Oh, Lois - honey, you know how much I was looking forward to it,” Clark groaned apologetically as he wrapped his arms her in a comforting hug, “but my being nominated to be a Justice League department head came as much of a surprise to me as it did to you! And today’s the quarterly progress meeting!”

“But what about having time for *your wife*? Oh, why couldn’t you have just declined the nomination?” Lois responded plaintively as she buried her face in Clark’s chest.

Clark grimaced. “Lois, I wish that I could have, but you know how important the League’s work is! Being a department head is a major responsibility, and I couldn’t just pass that burden on to somebody else.”

Lois sighed. “I know. I just don’t want your duties to the Justice League to create distance between us,” she said softly.

Clark placed a hand on her cheek as he lined his eyes up with hers. “Honey, I can *promise* you that that will never happen. The meeting’s going to start soon, but if you’re really not ok with this, I can-“

“Go,” Lois said resignedly, as she had so often before.

Clark cast his wife a sad, longing look before taking off for the Hall of Justice. He had duties to perform for the good of humankind.

<Hall of Justice Board Room>

The leaders of the Justice League’s various departments were seated around a large, oval-shaped conference table. Batman, as the League’s chief organizer and financier, was placed at the head of the table, calling on each of his lieutenants in turn to present their progress reports. Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Arrow, The Atom, Booster Gold, and of course, Superman, constituted the rest of the group.

Flash, the head of the Forensics Department, and Martian Manhunter, the chief medical officer, had nothing unusual to report but were present in order to remain up to date on the other departments’ business.

“Domestic Relations?” Batman prompted.

Green Lantern spoke up. “The International Assembly has recently expressed concern about our possession of possible WMDs,” he reported.

“How do you intend to respond?” the Dark Knight queried.

“I have already prepared a 4-page justification outlining the humanitarian rescue uses of Green Lantern power rings during crisis situations. With your approval, I’ll submit it to the member nations.”

“Do it,” Batman said, dipping his head almost imperceptibly. “Personnel?”

It was Green Arrow’s turn. “One of the resumes that we received this quarter appears particularly outstanding – name’s ‘Captain Marvel’. He’s got the skill set that we’re looking for, and has a proven track record of successful secret identity maintenance. However, there is a bit of a problem…”

“Which is?”

Green Arrow shifted in his seat somewhat uncomfortably. “Well…he’s underage - still in middle school.”

Batman let out a long-suffering sigh as he placed a hand on his cowled forehead. “Keep his file on record and start him out as a sidekick in a few years. Anything else to report?”

“Well, the results of our long-term viability study weren’t good, due to the fact that most of our abilities aren’t hereditary. However, Superman’s wife has agreed to serve in an exclusive role as his breeding stock should the Human-Kryptonian compatibility project bear fruit, so we’re ready to give the go-ahead on that one,” Green Arrow said, looking at Clark for confirmation.

At Clark’s acknowledging nod, Batman grunted his approval. “Excellent. Successful introduction of the Kryptonian bloodline into the human gene pool would greatly enhance our future defensive capabilities against the possibility of another extraterrestrial invasion. What about Environmental Sciences?”

Booster Gold slumped his shoulders dejectedly. “Man, when you guys said ‘Head of Environmental Sciences’, I didn’t know that you meant ‘janitor’!” he whined.

The Caped Crusader narrowed his eyes. “Stick to the report,” he said evenly, betraying no emotion as he fixed Booster Gold with his most uncompromising stare.

“Both of the restrooms continue to remain in clean condition, and people have been pretty good about not littering in the hallways,” Booster Gold sighed.

“Good. Research and Development? I’m sure I don’t have to remind *you* how important your department is,” Batman said, throwing a pointed glance at the head of Environmental Sciences. “The technologies you develop will be crucial to the success of our future superheroing endeavors.”

The Atom beamed proudly. “I have good news to report in that regard. We’ve achieved 100% success with the new liquid compound in removing all dirt and oil-based stains from any spandex-like fabric. I expect that by the time of our next meeting, similar results will have been yielded for bomb-based stains.”

“Splendid. That will lower costs and reduce downtime significantly during the next fiscal year. Public Relations?”

Clark sat up straighter in his chair as he made his report. “Our approval rating remains relatively high, at 97%.”

The corners of Batman’s lips turned slightly downwards. Thoughtfully, he remarked, “That’s a .5% decrease from last time. Why the drop?”

Clark grimaced. “We’ve continue to lose ground with heterosexual females over the issue of Wonder Woman’s uniform.”

“Any ideas on how to reverse the trend?”

“Well, we’ve considered the possibility of having her add more to the uniform, but preliminary surveys do indicate that this would probably result in a backlash among all of the other demographics,” Clark answered ruefully.

“I see. We’ll have to continue brainstorming other possibilities then. Now, unless anyone has something that they would like to add, this meeting is adjourned.”

<A few days later>

“Lois, is it ok if I-“ Clark began.

“Go. But be back before dinner,” Lois interrupted, intentionally adding a hint of authority to her voice.

Clark smiled gratefully, his relief evident. “Thanks, honey. It’s an open meeting, so I can technically leave at any time. I just want to be there to lend my support to the rest of the League.”

As Clark took off, Lois contemplated the tug-of-war that she was currently in with the Justice League for her husband’s attention. Maybe it would help to give the League a gentle reminder as to whom Superman truly belonged to. After all, *she* had it in writing…

<Hall of Justice Convention Room>

“The purpose of this general meeting is to facilitate the open discussion of ideas and suggestions, for all League members inclined to do so,” Green Lantern reminded the assembled superheroes.

“Furthermore, important procedures will be reviewed and clarified, for everyone’s benefit. Anyone is free to make general announcements, ask questions, or bring topics up for discussion. Are there any questions?”

The various members of the Justice League nodded their heads in assent as Green Lantern spoke – they were all used to this by now.

“Good. Before we begin, I’d like to remind everyone that timesheets are due on Monday, before noon.”

Clark noticed Booster Gold, who was sitting to his left, start to lean over to whisper something to him. He gave his colleague and fellow department head his full attention.

“Pssst, Superman – do you know why we have to fill out timesheets when we don’t even get paid for this anyways?”

Clark could only shrug in response. “I have no idea,” he whispered back.

They both refocused their attention on Green Lantern when he spoke again to begin the meeting.

“As usual, I will be the one recording the minutes of our meeting. So, who will take the floor first?”

Minutes of Justice League General Meeting #4

As recorded by: Green Lantern

5:00 – Hawkgirl given the floor.

General announcement of extremely high importance stressed upon all Justice League members – do not disturb the nest next to the heating vent in the common area. Furthermore, in the event that an egg is found in said nest, it is NOT to be eaten. PARTICULARLY IF IT IS LABELED “REX”.

5:03 – Opened the floor for questions concerning the appropriate uses of Justice League expense accounts. To submit questions, members raise their hands and wait their turn.

5:04 – Booster Gold given the floor

5:05 – Booster Gold issued an official reprimand for misusing Justice League expense accounts to commission a new logo to be painted on Skeet.

5:08 - The remainder of questions concerning the appropriate uses of expense accounts having been withdrawn, began reviewing the importance of having Justice League members refuse to meet any demands made upon them by external parties.

5:15 – Meeting interrupted by Superman’s cell-phone.

5:17 – Superman assures unidentified caller, code-named “Honey”, that he will be home in time to fix dinner for “Honey”. Assurance appears to have been made under duress.

Drafted a new section, 6.4b, for addition to the Justice League operations manual, outlining the value of compromise in the face of overwhelming odds. Noted the fact that the new section does not detract from or diminish in any way the general principle of not satisfying external demands.

5:32 – Discussed the merits of having cell-phones turned OFF during Justice League meetings

5:35 – Started going over various administrative details

5:40 – Superman adjourns meeting to go home.

5:41 – Door closed behind Superman. General off-topic speculation and derision ensues regarding the current state of Superman’s civil rights.

5:42 – Reminded assembly of the fact that Superman possesses enhanced auditory capabilities. Nevertheless, meeting continues to remain off course.

5:43 – By the executive powers vested in Green Lantern, Justice League Resolution 551 is passed: We affirm the unimportance of the relative vertical positioning of Superman and his spouse during physical intimacy, due to its complete lack of relevance with regard to global security. Order restored to meeting.

5:45 –…

<Later that evening>

“Clark, what are you doing?? Get off of me!” Lois shouted with alarm as she thumped her husband on the chest. Clark seemed intent on pinning her to the bed, causing her heart to race and her breathing to become slightly uneven.

Clark raised himself up on his hands a little and fixed his wife with a tentative gaze. “Uh…well…I was just thinking, that maybe this time, I could-“

Lois gasped. “What? Where did *that* idea come from? *I’m* top banana, remember?! Now move over!”

Clark winced. There was *no way* that he could explain to Lois that his actions had been influenced by the snickering that he had heard when he left the Justice League meeting. As he exited the convention room, he had even overheard someone say smugly, “Guess we know which one of *them* gets to be on top.”

Sighing, Clark rolled off of Lois, finally giving her some breathing room as he lay down with his back to the bed.

As she climbed on top to straddle Clark’s body, Lois considered his inexplicable behavior. Somehow, her husband was starting to get these *ridiculous* ideas put into his head. And she had a pretty good idea *where* he was getting them…

<A couple of days later>

“Well honey, I guess our problems are over. I lost the Public Relations post today,” Clark said, with a hint of regret.

“You did? What happened?” Lois asked, sweetly and innocently.

“Oh, Batman got a tip from a ‘very reliable source’ that appointing a female department head would result in more favorable press coverage,” Clark said ruefully. “I guess it’s all for the best – our approval rating is up to 98% anyways.”

“Oh, but honey, you must be *so* disappointed! Here, let me cheer you up…”

<the end>