Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is a really fascinating story, and it does show us a different possibility of where the original pheromone story might have been going.

The main theme of this part, I think, is that Lois and Clark are awkward and nervous about the situation they find themselves in. There is the fear that the other one will regret his or her decision to get married to his or her partner:

He regarded her for several minutes, trying to decide exactly what to say. His dreams had been uneasy, but the theme that ran through them was the fear that Lois would decide that she didn't want Clark Kent, Superman or not -- that she wanted someone more sophisticated than her hayseed partner, as he had once heard her describe him.
And there is also another matter to feel awkward about - the fact that this marriage happened so suddenly, that they almost certainly consummated it very enthusiastically in their drug-induced haze, that they had been absolutely unprepared for such a development and that they are now at a loss at how to deal with that aspect of their relationship:

She looked down at the rings on her hand and at the gold ring on the hand that Clark had slipped under her knees. They still had that decision to make, but for now they were just having fun, as he had suggested. Later, they could decide what to do about their marriage. It was doubtful that they could get an annulment, she acknowledged. Judging by their clothing -- or lack of it -- when they had awakened, neither she nor Clark could truthfully claim that the union hadn't been consummated. As a matter of fact, some of those memories were beginning to surface as well.

Best to not think of that, she decided. She had to stay sensible about this, and that particular recollection certainly wouldn't help her keep a cool head. She glanced quickly up at her companion, wondering how much of those three days he remembered. Probably more than he was letting on, but Clark could always be counted on to be a gentleman.
And Lois has really felt embarrassed about being near a not fully dressed Clark Kent in the morning:

She started to speak but, at the sight of his towel-wrapped form, she froze, her mouth half open, and her eyes flicked from his face down his body and back up, lingering for an instant on his chest before she wrenched her eyes back to his face. She swallowed. "Uh ..."
She reached out a finger and just barely touched his chin before snatching her hand back. "I guess you already -- how do you do that?"
And she just barely dared to touch his chin to find out if he had shaved.

He caught the hand. "Lois, you don't have to be afraid of me. I'm the same person I've always been."
I love this. Clark feels the need to reassure Lois.

"I'm not afraid of you," she said quickly. "It's just that I never expected to be looking at Superman in a towel." She was blushing more deeply, but he noticed that her eyes still strayed occasionally to his chest. That was a good sign.
No, she isn't afraid, but she is embarrassed.

"I checked the sizes of your clothes and picked you up some things at the store. Do you know how hard you are to buy for with that build? It's a darned good thing that a lot of Hawaiian clothes are loose. I mean, you have a narrow waist, but your thighs are so muscular and so is your --" Her voice trailed off and her cheeks had grown positively scarlet.
Oh, this is adorable. Lois is unable to mention Clark's backside. That is how uncertain and embarrassed she is about the situation.

"I'm flying over some of the most incredible scenery in the world," she said, "in the arms of the most incredible man in the world. And the most incredible part of it is that he's been my partner for months and I didn't see it."
But when she is flying with him, she is relaxed and happy.

Hmmm, Nan. I know that you don't write nfic scenes, and I'm not asking for one, honestly. But I do so hope that you will give us more than just a passionate kiss to solve the awkwardness between Lois and Clark and give us the feeling that they are now happy about being married. Personally, I don't think I will be happy with just a kiss. After all, Clark and Lois kissed off and on for three years on the show, and that didn't bring them a whole lot closer to intimacy. Being engaged didn't turn them into lovers, either. But now they are married, and if they are going to stay married, I want to see that both of them are ready to welcome intimacy. Like I said, just a kiss, even a passionate one, won't be wholly satisfying for me. You might show us Clark flying Lois into their bedroom at the hotel, and you could make them say or think enough to make it clear that they are definitely going to share the bed that night. That would do it for me. Of course... the end of this chapter spoke of the possibility of deserted beaches... that sounds just lovely!

I wouldn't mind if you make this a four-parter, Nan. I hope this story will end at a stage where Lois and Clark both feel comfortable about being married to each other. But I can see that they have quite a few issues to work out before that can happen.

I very much like this story, and I'm looking forward to more!

Ann

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I'll keep the suggestions in mind. Actually I was thinking of something similar <g>. Any others would be appreciated.

As you may have guessed, I'm venturing into somewhat foreign territory here (for me) so anyone who wishes is welcome to suggest things. I've got an outline, but it isn't set in stone.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm still loving this, Nan -- so different! But I think they need to actually talk *about* their situation instead of skirting around the edges and pretending not to see the elephant in the middle of the room. And I can see Lois getting over the intial awkwardness and then being hardly able to keep her hands off him.

Staying married at this point could seem too intimidating -- last week she'd barely admit to being friends with him, and this week they're setting up housekeeping? Sounds stressful.

I think it might be fun for them to sort of giving people (and themselves!) time to adjust by not mentioning the marriage part right at first... just a little more flirting and touching in the newsroom, spending time together outside of it... but then I have a weakness for banter with secret meanings. smile

Okay, I need to go to bed now -- I fully expect to enjoy anything you come up with, Nan smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I think it might be fun for them to sort of giving people (and themselves!) time to adjust by not mentioning the marriage part right at first... just a little more flirting and touching in the newsroom, spending time together outside of it...
Hmmm, Pam. That's a vey interesting idea. Let's see if I get you correctly. You think they should pretend that they are not married, and I can see that such a strategy has merits. It will give them time to adjust, as you said.

On the other hand, this pretense will be angst-inducing, too. For example, I imagine that it will be Lois who'll want to act as if she and Clark aren't married. Like Pam said:

last week she'd barely admit to being friends with him, and this week they're setting up housekeeping?
Lois is the one who'll look quite a bit like a fool if she is suddenly married to the man she wouldn't give the time of day just a week before. So Lois is the one who'll want to pretend that they aren't married. But what will that do to Clark? He's bound to worry more than ever that Lois doesn't really want him, that she regrets getting married to him, that she'll soon want a divorce etcetera.

Lois, on the other hand, will probably remember more and more of their lovemaking during their pheromone-hazy honeymoon. And since first season Lois was most definitely physically attracted to Clark Kent, even though she couldn't see many other of his qualities, it's going to be sheer torture for her to have to watch Clark's chiselled physique and know that she could make love to him again, if she would only acknowledge that they are indeed married.

Clearly they will have to reach a stage when they can no longer keep up the not-married pretense, but then comes the problem of how to tell everyone that they are married already, and have been married for - well, since they came back from their mysterious absence.

This premise holds a lot of possibilities, I think!

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
This story is a bit different than my usual style, so any encouragement is appreciated.
Are you saying that they're not going to break a gang that smugle lava rocks? goofy

Keep posting! hyper

And I don't mind a 4 parter... who knows... this turns into a new series wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read this chapter at the other board again (that's what I get for checking the least-"talkative" board first), but I'm commenting here.

I LOVED this chapter, and I'm looking forward to chapter three. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois must have turned it higher, he thought, to try to make the room more comfortable for him. His headache had faded to the barest whisper of pain and his uneasy stomach had settled down.
That was mighty sweet of her. It sure would be a bummer to not be able to take aspirin or Tylenol!

He got out of bed quietly, still thinking. The bottom line was simple. Did he want to stay married to Lois?
Well, let’s hope so, Clark!

"Oh," Lois said, seizing quickly on the new topic. "I checked the sizes of your clothes and picked you up some things at the store. Do you know how hard you are to buy for with that build? It's a darned good thing that a lot of Hawaiian clothes are loose. I mean, you have a narrow waist, but your thighs are so muscular and so is your --" Her voice trailed off and her cheeks had grown positively scarlet. "Anyway, I found a pair of Bermuda shorts that look like they should fit."
laugh

I know a private pilot that I think we could talk into taking us for free.
rotflol A private pilot indeed!!

I hope Clark remembered to hide the suit.... Oh, I guess he put it on!

"That's the spot where a lava tube hits the sea," Clark said. "Lava is flowing into the water and, not surprisingly, it produces all that steam. It's called Pele's Fountain. If you like we'll fly close to it and you can get a good look before we head for the caldera."
This is so much reminding me of the fic where Tank had Clark fall in a magma pool. Glad to know you won’t do that...

Lois is the one who'll look quite a bit like a fool if she is suddenly married to the man she wouldn't give the time of day just a week before. So Lois is the one who'll want to pretend that they aren't married. But what will that do to Clark? He's bound to worry more than ever that Lois doesn't really want him, that she regrets getting married to him, that she'll soon want a divorce etcetera.
Well, everyone knew about the pheromone spray. They can just say that they got married under that influence and decided to go ahead and give the marriage a try.

Great story, Nan.

Nancy

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
hurray! a Nan story! Thank you so much for this surprise. I also love this new B plot experiment of yours---not that I don't love your A-plot stories (especially the Dagger series--can never get enough---bring on the super triplets and hot-pepper sandswiches!!!) but this story is so sweet. I'm loving it!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard