Story: Clark Kent vs. Superman

Previously:

Clark wasn’t certain how affected Lois was. Had she really forgotten everything that had happened in the last day? That would mean that their new-found closeness had not happened. And she had no idea that he was Superman. He did not want to go through the last 24 hours again. He closed his eyes and wished that he could grab Luthor and throw him into the darkest, most primitive prison in the country.

When Clark opened his eyes, he swore that he could see a smile in Luthor’s gaze.

Story: Clark Kent vs. Superman
By: Rhea

A huge thank you goes to Lisa (MrsMosley), who is an incredible beta. She does a wonderful job and this story is dedicated to her! Thanks also to all the people that left feedback during the writing of this story. I had some trouble getting to the end and I might have given up if it weren't for you. Thanks!

Part Eight

Clark and Lois rode in silence in the back of the limousine Luthor had provided. Clark doubted that Luthor was really feeling generous; more likely he was worried about a record of their departure from his estate. He didn’t need any more witnesses to deal with. This way, too, he could increase his chances of learning their intentions. The billionaire probably had the car bugged. Sure enough, when Clark attuned his hearing he could detect the high pitch whine of electronic surveillance equipment in the vehicle.

Lois sat back in her seat, seemingly exhausted, her eyes closed. Clark didn’t think he breathed the entire return trip to town as he watched her in silence. As long as she remained quiet, Clark could hope that she was still the same woman he had kissed. Without her memory of the past day, so much would be lost. What would happen if he had to share his secret with her a second time? There was no guarantee that it would go so well under different circumstances.

Clark continued to gaze at her hoping that some of her memory remained. The limo stopped at Lois’ apartment. Lois’ eyelids fluttered. She looked like she was sleeping, but her breathing and heart rate were too accelerated to be at rest. Was she having some sort of nightmare?

He reached forward and gently took her hand. It was cold. “Lois, we’re here.” Clark said as quietly as he could.

Her eyes flew open. She seemed about to speak, but when Clark shook his head minutely, she nodded and remained silent. She might not have her memory, but they had worked enough together to interpret a warning not to speak openly.

“I must have fallen asleep. I know it’s still early in the day, but I swear I feel as if I haven’t slept all night.” She opened the door. “Did you want to come in so that we can work up something for Perry today?”

“Sure,” Clark said, glancing at the chauffer. He glared at them, unhappy with this development but unable to stop them from departing together. Clark had heard Luthor’s command to the driver to deliver them to their respective homes, alone.

“Uh . . . thanks for the ride,” Clark said as he left the car.

The long, black vehicle drove smoothly away, the many windows glinting in the bright sunlight. Now that they were alone, Clark was anxious to know how Lois was feeling.

Lois retrieved a spare key hidden under a potted plant and unlocked the door. As they walked in, she said, “I’m dying to get out of this dress.”

Clark suddenly realized that she was still wearing the slinky evening gown. It had been through a lot in the last several hours; there was a rip up the leg and a dark smear on the shoulder.

“I guess I’ll have to make a trip home, too,” he said.

Lois assessed his smudged suit and torn tie. “Too bad. I liked that outfit. Except that tie, even the trash can is too good for it.”

“Lois!”

“I think I have some sweats that you loaned me, or you could just...” she made a swooping motion with her hand and raised her eyebrow “. . . you know. Do a quick flyby?”

Clark’s eyes grew wide and he began to smile. “You mean. . .?”

He was almost afraid that he had misunderstood her and he wasn’t quite certain he wanted to say aloud, “as Superman?” until he was sure that she was ready to hear the words.

Lois rolled her eyes, as if to say that he shouldn’t have worried. “I have to admit there that I was a bit confused at Lex’s estate. But by the time we were in the car, I had no trouble remembering what had happened. Thank goodness that you shielded me when they used that weird mind control thingy. I wonder what’s going to happen to Suzette and Jordan? I doubt he thinks he’s really Superman, but it’s a shame that they don’t remember making up in the end.”

“Oh, I don’t know if it will matter much. I saw the two of them leaving together and by the way they were eyeing each other, I’d say that the interest was still there,” Clark replied, a smile still curving the edges of his mouth. He felt as if he had just flown around the Earth ten times fast. He was exhilarated. Lois remembered!

“Do you think they remember that they spent the night together?” Lois looked momentarily worried. “That would be a terrible thing to have forgotten.”

“I would imagine that a memory like that would be too hard to erase forever. I think Superman should inform the police about a certain mind-altering device Luthor has at a certain seaside mansion. Then we could check on Suzette and Jordan after we finish filing this story for Perry, if you’d like.”

“Maybe later. I have other ideas on how I’d like to spend my time,” Lois said suggestively.

Clark blushed and then backed away from Lois. ”I really have to take care of things with Luthor. Once I’m done with that I’ll be back to pick you up.” Then his expression sobered and he asked, “Are you certain you’re all right, Lois?”

“Nothing some chocolate, a long nap, and then some time alone with you wouldn’t cure. Not necessarily in that order,” she said impishly.

Clark leaned in and gave her what started out as a quick kiss but rapidly grew more heated. After several moments Lois pulled away and slapped playfully at his chest. “Go on, you smell like a forest fire.”

He had never gotten a chance to change clothes after that building fire. Clark’s nose crinkled and he said, “Sorry.”

“Don’t. It has been a long day.”

“Why don’t you get some sleep before we head into the office today? I’m sure Perry will understand.” Clark suggested.

“There is no way that I’ll be able to sleep until I get this story finished.”

“We’re talking about the attempt on Superman’s life? And Luthor’s use of a mind altering device?” Clark asked for clarification.

“What did you think I meant?” Her eyes grew wide. “You thought I was going to write about Superman’s other life?”

Clark shook his head in denial, but he didn’t say anything.

“Clark! Why would I do that? Then I’d have to share you. This way, you’re all mine.” Then she got an uncertain note to her voice, “Right?”

Clark moved in close again, his nose almost touching hers. He said softly, his voice deep. “That’s one of the things I love about you. You always do know how to get right to the truth.”

“I’m a damn good reporter,” Lois agreed before she kissed him again.

<><><>

Clark flew quickly to his apartment to retrieve his spare Superman outfit. Uneasy about losing track of it, he sped to the scene of the building fire and quickly recovered his abandoned suit. It had been damaged and had lain beneath a heap of ash and debris. If it weren’t for part of his distinctive S crest and his x-ray vision, he wouldn’t have found it. It was destroyed beyond repair. He used his heat vision to incinerate the red and blue cloth so that no one else would ever find it and use it against him. He had enough of imposters for one week.

Once that was taken care of, Clark informed the police of Luthor’s activities and, fearing that Luthor would manage to erase all evidence of his mind-altering device, he picked up a squad car and flew it and it’s occupants to the seaside mansion. Luthor was no where to be seen, but the psychologist who had created the device was still there and she had no problem telling them about what she had created. She was quite proud of her invention.

Unfortunately, it seemed that Luthor had used the device against her and she had no memory of Luthor or any of his employees ever having been involved. She seemed almost surprised when she was placed under arrest and Clark couldn’t help but feel some pity for the poor woman.

She had become a victim of her very own device. Once he was certain that he had done everything possible for the police, Superman flew away from the scene. He spun into his street clothes and ducked into the Daily Planet to ask Jimmy to find out who owned the deed to the mansion. It didn’t take him very long to determine that there was no evidence linking the billionaire to the attempt on Superman’s life or reputation. One day Luthor would pay his due, but not today.

<><><>

The minute Clark disappeared in an ear-popping dash, Lois started tearing off her clothes as she made her way to the bathroom. She didn’t know how much time she would have since Clark moved at super speed. By the time the water had warmed, she had removed her jewelry, which had miraculously remained undamaged, and stepped into the shower.

She had intended to make it as fast as possible, but once she was immersed in the warm downpour all speed left her body. Lois threw her head back, closed her eyes, and allowed the tension to flow with the water down the drain. It was only when the water began to cool that she realized she had dozed for a few minutes.

When Clark returned to Lois’ apartment, he could hear the shower going. He put the spare key she had handed him into his pocket with great reverence. Things had changed between them and he knew how much it meant for Lois to have given him that key. He knew that she intended for him to let himself in when he returned, but it seemed somehow intrusive to do so when she was still in the shower.

Clark could hear her even breathing; she sounded almost asleep in there. It took all of his willpower to not peek in on her to make sure that she was all right. He was sorely tempted, but years of control and his innate sense of manners would not allow him to give in to such an impulse. However, self control would be a lot easier if there was something else to distract him, so he went to the kitchen to start a pot of coffee.

Despite a night of no sleep and recent kryptonite exposure, he was filled with energy he needed to burn. He could hear her turning off the shower. While she got dressed, he began to work on their story at super speed. He knew Lois was tired, and he didn’t think he could sit next to her and concentrate enough to produce anything passable for the Planet. Better to have it done and let Lois make any changes she wanted.

The first thing Lois noticed as she left the bedroom was the aromatic smell of coffee. She tightened the belt on her robe, swept her damp hair away from her face, and attempted to walk quietly into the living room. Clark was facing away from her, bent over a sheet of paper. He was writing so quickly that smoke curled from the pencil.

Lois suppressed a smile. She made her way on tiptoes toward Clark’s back, intent on sneaking up on him. She saw the way his hand paused and she knew that he was aware of her presence, but he was good natured enough to pretend to be surprised when she placed a kiss on the back of his neck.

“Hmmm,” he said, before turning his head to gaze at her.

They contemplated each other in silence for a minute before Clark looked away and cleared his throat. “I think I have the story just about wrapped up.”

For once, Lois wasn’t upset that Clark had taken the initiative. She loved him, so the normal hostility she reserved for those who failed to tread lightly around Mad Dog Lane no longer applied to him.

“Does that mean that we have time for . . . other things?” Lois asked, her voice as smooth as black silk.

Clark’s throat closed up, and he could no longer hear the outside world. It was as if he were suddenly exposed to kryptonite without the pain. The only thing he seemed able to hear was the sudden thundering of his heart and the way his breath seemed to struggle out of his lungs. “Lois?” His voice came out just a bit too high for his comfort so he tried again. “Lois? I should probably let you get some sleep. You must be exhausted.”

“I’m tired, Clark. Not dead,” Lois deadpanned. She settled into his lap and began to play with the end of his tie.

“Shouldn’t we… I mean… wouldn’t it be better… if we maybe dated first?”

It took a moment for Lois to respond. She had been staring at the way the pulse beat in Clark’s throat. She wanted to press her mouth against it to see if it would throb any faster. If it wasn’t for the fact that Clark was Superman, she would worry that the poor man was about to have a heart attack. To know that his heart beat so quickly for her was a heady feeling. They were adults. They could handle this, but when she met his eyes, she felt herself soften. He was terribly old fashioned at times. It was all part of his charm.

“I love you, Clark. We can date first if you like, but it won’t change the way I feel about you. I want you and I’ve never been very good at the whole patience thing,” Lois said sincerely.

Clark’s arms tightened convulsively around her body. “Can you say that again?”

“What? I’m not Mother Theresa. You know that. The only thing that happens too fast for me is my alarm ringing in the morning.”

“No, the other thing.”

“What? Oh. I love you, Clark.”

“I love to hear you say that,” Clark said reverently before he pulled her to him for a kiss.

Lois buried her fingers in his thick hair as their mouths moved against each other in a heated exchange. She reveled in the feel of him pressed against her body.

Clark pulled back to lean his forehead against hers. “I can’t tell you how happy I am being here with you. I love you so much. I feel as if I’ve loved you forever.”

“So does that mean you’ll stay?” Lois asked suggestively.

“I’ll do whatever you want.”

“I like the sound of that,” Lois said. “We’ve never heeded tradition before. I say we make love until we have to show our faces at the Planet and then go on a date later.”

Clark smiled broadly and then disappeared in a blur.

“Clark?” Lois found herself sitting awkwardly on the couch Clark had just vacated. She rose unsteadily to her feet and looked around the place as if to find a clue as to what her partner had gone. Lois had just wandered toward the bedroom when someone knocked on her door.

Lois glanced through the peephole and stifled a giggle when she saw that Clark stood there with a dozen red roses. She opened the door and said, “I thought we were going to do the date later.”

“I just thought I would give Perry our story. You know, to buy us some more time.”

“Hmmmm,” Lois said thoughtfully, as she took the roses and smelled them. “So what did he say?”

“He told us to take the next few days off. We have been through a harrowing experience.”

“Terrible.”

“I think we’d better go straight to bed.”

Clark scooped Lois up and carried her into the bedroom. Neither of them noticed until much later that the roses had fallen on the floor, forgotten. Clark brought Lois replacements the very next day.

<><><>

It seemed that their experience was so traumatic that they couldn’t go back to work for three days. Perry thought the rest did them a world of good, because he had never seen either of them so relaxed or happy. He had his suspicions about those two, but he didn’t complain as the stories they wrote were numerous and top notch.

After things had settled down, Lois and Clark did a little bit of research and found out that Jordan was still working as a Superman impersonator, but no longer had delusions about having superpowers, and that he was happily engaged to Suzette. They were a little fuzzy about the circumstances of their meeting, but chalked that up to too much drink.

Perry didn’t have to wait too long for Lois and Clark to come to their senses and announce their engagement, and he was the first to congratulate them. He felt like a father to those two young love birds, and he was glad to see that Clark could finally share his secret with someone close to him. He didn’t get to be Editor-in-Chief of a major Metropolitan newspaper without the ability to see past a pair of glasses! He also knew the value of discretion, and he hoped the other reporters wouldn’t notice the frequency to which he sent his “star” reporting team to the site of a major crisis.

No one complained, and they won a Kerth award later that same year.

The End

I hope you’ve enjoyed this story as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it. Thanks for sticking with me to the end!