Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
"But to answer your question from a few minutes ago," he went on with a smile, "I love you for so many reasons. I love that you have such a good heart. You try to pretend you're tough and act like nothing affects you, but I know better. Deep down, you care so much. You care about what you're doing because you feel like you can make a difference in people's lives, and you do. You also have such passion for everything you do that when I'm around you, it makes me feel alive. *You* make me feel alive. And I love you so much for it that I plan on never letting you go."
You have a nice way with dialogue. It is very poetic.

Great ending to a cute little story smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, Erin, that was absolutely beautiful! thank you for such a sweet love story. Please post again soon! notworthy

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, so I have been a horrible horrible little slacker on reading some of the stories on the board. I just sat down and read this.

Beautiful. I don't know if it is the story or if it is that time of the year... or that time of the month... LOL but it actualy made me tear up and almost cry. It's like those silly halmark commercials (yes I have cried over them) where you don't know what it is about them but they just touch you.

My favorite lines of the story:

Clark smiled and drew her closer, wrapping his lower legs around her calves to keep her and her swing close to him. "Maybe that's one of the reasons I fell so hard, so fast for you when I met you. You were a challenge. You were this puzzle just waiting to be solved. And the more time I spent putting the pieces together, the more I realized that I loved you."
If anyone ever asked why Clark loved Lois when she could be so frustrating, there is their answer.

Thank you for writing such a beautiful and touching little fic. I really do hope that we get to see a lot more from you. The romantic in me adores your writing.

/ends her babbling since none of the above is in any sort of cohesive format. Just take it as a compliment that I couldn't even form a sentence to descrive how much I liked it.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Columnist
Columnist
Wonderful WAFFY ending to a wonderful story!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This was so absolutely wonderful; I really loved it. I hope you write another one soon!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Aww!

Now this kind of story is why Erin is an Icon. I can't write like this and gave up trying a long time ago. <sniff>

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I had proof."

"Proof?" Clark prompted, raising his eyebrows.

She nodded. "My parents. They supposedly loved each other but they ended up miserable
I like how you phrased this. It's a good representation of S1 Lois's feelings about the whole concept of love.

"You really do know me,"
This part got me. Once again, the little things are the most telling in your story--and I admire that smile

Yet another great story--I guess Christmas really inspires people!

**~~**

Swoosh --->
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Another well done story from the keyboard of one of the true icons of folcdom.

Seemed like there was a lot of that mushy stuff in this fic though.

Tank (who is thankful that, at least, there were no children involved with this)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh Erin, this is so lovely!
Is it okay if I give my comment on every part here? You posted it faster than I have been able to find time enough to comment!
I liked every scene of this little story from the beginning, the first discussion between Lois and Lucy, where you could say that Lois' main preoccupation is Lucy's welfare and happiness, knowing how she knows that Lucy' luck with men is lacking:

I never said that I liked him," Lois argued, turning to pace across the kitchen. "All I said was that at least he didn't seem to be a scumbag like your last boyfriend, who, I don't have to remind you, turned out to be a cyborg, kidnapped Clark, and tried to kill Superman!"
I like how you make this news about Lucy a reminder of Lois's hurt about her love life, hurt that she usually is very careful to leave buried under layer and layer of cynism and tough armor:

She shook her head in disapproval and took another bite. Knowing her sister's romantic soul, she supposed she could understand that her sister might see something as glamorous as a wedding to be the ultimate in romantic. But Lois knew better. Weddings were definitely overrated.

Her stomach turned as she thought of her own disastrous wedding. 'Non-wedding,' she hurried to correct herself. Not only had she changed her mind at the last minute and made a fool of herself in front of a room full of important people, but she'd realized just how much of a fool she had been, not seeing Lex for who--or what--he'd really been.
She continues to tell herself that love doesn't exist, but at the same time she can't help feeling love for someone

The realization had been astounding. Clark loved her. She was beginning to love him.

Ever since she and Lucy had been little girls, they had talked about and dreamed of the day that they would meet their handsome prince, fall in love, and live happily ever after. The harsh reality of life and love had made Lois cynical over the years, but somewhere deep within her heart, that dream still lived on, even though she refused to believe it was possible.

But then, for the first time in her life, the prospect of being in a loving, committed relationship with a man as good as Clark loomed larger than life and appeared to be more than just an unattainable dream. It was real, and within her heart she felt the first stirrings of hope.
More than thinking that love is a fairy tale for little girls and doesn't exist in real life, she thinks that love doesn't exist for her

When she spent many an evening crying on Clark's shoulder over her doubts and insecurities that had arisen from having been involved with a man like Lex, she never once let on that those weren't the only reasons why her heart was aching. She could talk to him about many things, but not about this. Never about this. How could she tell him that, even above the feelings of being betrayed by Lex, she was hurting because she was seriously doubting that she was capable or even worthy of being loved?
Surely Clark' supposed lie about loving her is another proof of her belief, that love cannot exist for her.
Meanwhile Clark is more in love than ever, but he's still refraining himself to confess his true feelings, still hoping for a better time, still fearing what problems for their friendship could come from it:

She smiled much more frequently, and the expression was genuine. It hadn't escaped his notice, either, that that beautiful smile of hers seemed to come more often and more freely when she was around him.

His heart warmed at the thought. It was at times like those when he found the words of love on the tip of his tongue, but he continued to bite them back and wait for a better time to express them in the future.
I love this:

Reaching up to wipe a tear from her cheek, she gave a defeated shrug. "It just doesn't seem fair," she began. "My life is in the toilet while everything seems to be going right for Lucy. I mean, I still think she's making a mistake jumping into marriage like this, but...she really does seem happy. What's wrong with me that my life has to be such a shambles?"
This is not an easy confession to do, but she feels she can say (almost) everything to Clark.

"That's okay." He spoke tenderly, reaching up to tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "That's what I'm here for."

She captured his hand and held it against her cheek for a long moment, closing her eyes at the contact. Clark's heart began to pound in his chest as he studied the beautiful face against his hand--the long, dark lashes of her closed eyelids fanning out against the porcelain skin, slightly blotchy from crying; the tiny worry lines around her eyes that had only recently appeared after Luthor's ill-fated jump and ultimate demise; and the full, enticing lips that had quivered against her tears not long ago.

His thumb moved on its own accord of the hand she still held captured under hers, and he trailed it along the smooth skin in a loving caress. Her lips parted slightly as she gave a contented sigh, and his gaze dropped to them once more. He fought for all he was worth to keep himself from leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

The clock in the corner began to chime, and the spell was broken. Lois's eyes drifted open and she released his hand, sending a mixture of sadness and relief through his body.
Oh, good old Clark, her shoulder to cry on! But even good Clark can't help to touching her and loving her, and sometime is so difficult restrain yourself! But it's still easier being her best friend and escape from her:

He cleared his throat. "Well. It's getting late. I guess I should be going."
And then:

Then, to his surprise, she stepped forward and slid her arms around his waist, hugging him tightly and burying her face against his chest. His heart soaring, he slipped his arms around her and returned her embrace.

Dropping his head to her hair, he closed his eyes and breathed in the heady scent of her shampoo that he'd come to know well over the past few months. For long moments he savored the feeling of her in his arms, the feel of her warm body pressed against his. It wasn't that he hadn't held her before--he'd held her often over the past few months as she'd needed a shoulder to cry on--but he couldn't remember her ever initiating the contact before.

He knew why he'd had to take back his declaration of love for her shortly after the whole Luthor fiasco, but in many ways he wished he hadn't. Maybe then he'd be free to hold her like this all the time, to be able to love her openly, and to tell her over and over again how much he loved her.

As it was, he'd had to settle for loving her in secret. He hated keeping his feelings for her to himself, but at least this way they could be together. He wasn't sure she would have stuck around if he'd tried to forge a relationship with her with her life in turmoil as it had been months ago.

No, it was better this way. Even if he hated it.

In a muffled voice, he heard her say, "I appreciate all you do for me, Clark. You're my best friend."
So much love, so much fear. Better reinforcing her beliefs and "get real":

Her experiences, however, were much, much different. She lived in the real world. A real world that dealt with divorce, betrayal, and hidden agendas disguised as love.

Love? No way. It may exist in small towns in Kansas, but here in the real world, it didn't exist.
Even if she can't help herself:

Closing her eyes, she made a heartfelt wish on those stars--a wish for a better life...a life filled with happiness and love.
Still, morning after sees Lois almost ashamed of her "silly" thoughts:

As she dressed, she remembered her silly star wishing the night before and laughed at herself. It was something she and Lucy had often done as children. She couldn't believe her life had gotten so messed up that she would think that something as silly as wishing on a star could make anything better.
I love how you make Lois thinking in the same thought :

There was no such thing as true love. And the fact that her sister believed there was told her an intervention was in order.
And
Lois's throat tightened and tears blurred her vision. For once, she wished she could realize what that felt like--to have somebody love her so deeply, and love them just as much in return
It's like her head is saying her that love is an invention, but her heart is longing for it. For now, her head is winning the battle; her little sister will feel pain, but she has to make her see that this wedding could only ruin her life

She knew what she had to do. An intervention was definitely in order. And by the time she was done, there would be no wedding. Lucy would be hurt, but Lois knew she would thank her some day.
And she try to recruit Clark! But I like how he doesn't give in and tell her with not uncertain terms

Yes there is. Lois, what's wrong with you?" he demanded, giving her a reproving look as she moved through the entryway and stopped in the doorway to the living room. "You've come up with some stupid ideas before," he whispered in her ear from behind her, "but this might just be your stupidest one yet!"

She whirled, her face a picture of shock and anger. "Stupid? How dare you!"

"That's what this is, Lois. Stupid." He emphasized the word and stood his ground, glaring back into her flashing eyes. "How can you even think about doing something so mean and thoughtless to your own sister?"
I do like Lucy here:

Lucy sighed. "All I'm asking is that you give Brian a chance. If you'd only get to know him, I'm sure you'd realize how great he is. He's good and kind, and he loves me for me. Just once, Lois, I wish you could feel like I do, and feel how much love--and finding that one special person--can change a person. How it can make you want to be a better person. I wish you could see how it feels to have somebody love you, totally and completely and unconditionally. If you did, maybe then you would see that love really does exist, and that it's the most amazing feeling in the world. I love Brian. He's a good man who loves me. And whether or not you think I should, I'm going to marry him. Maybe if you really understood what love feels like, you could finally be happy for me."
Yes, she said some tough words, but come on! Lois's trying to break her sister' engagement! At her engagement party! It's true that Lucy seems have had horrible tastes in men before, but you could at least make an effort and try to know him!
And just like always, her knight in shining armor comes to her rescue:

A tear slid down her cheek and she quickly lifted a hand to swipe it away before anybody could see it. Just then she heard a quiet voice behind her.

"Lois."

The familiar gentleness and compassion is Clark's voice wrapped around her like a warm blanket. He was there. Just like always.
But even Lois can give up her cynism and recognize love when she sees it; now her heart is winning over her head and so she admit honestly that what she want is that, a good man and a true love:

A sob rose in her throat. It wasn't fair. How had Lucy gotten so lucky to find a man who loved her, when all Lois had were federal disasters for relationships? She had friends like Clark--a good, decent, honorable man--who was destined to remain a friend and nothing more. Why couldn't she be as fortunate in love as her sister? To have men as good as Clark love her and cherish her?

Lucy had found that in Brian, and Lois knew she shouldn't be feeling jealous of her sister; she should be happy for her. And she was happy for her. But it also caused the aching longing in her heart to grow to almost unbearable levels.
Now her defences are down; it's difficult, but she can admit her feelings and desires to herself and to Clark:

"Lois," he began, his voice low and firm. "You don't have to be jealous of Lucy. Your turn will come. You deserve to be happy, too, and I promise you, you will be."

Lois's eyes widened in surprise. A moment later she carefully schooled her features into a neutral expression and waved a hand as if dismissing his claim. "Oh, come on, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes, you do." His tone was quiet and unassuming. "Lois, it's me. You don't have to pretend."

The sincerity of his tone caused her brave front to crumble. She looked away from the intensity in his gaze and fingered a loose thread on her sweater.

Clark waited patiently for her to speak, the sound of the breeze rustling the leaves in a nearby tree. Finally, she spoke, her voice soft and vulnerable
And then:

She sighed. "I don't know. Maybe I'm destined to be alone. I hoped I might find somebody to fall in love with, who would love me completely and unconditionally in return. But that just isn't possible, is it?"
You must have true courage to confess so much, so deep fears. Clark understand it, and he does the same: now his careful handing of his friendship with Lois is more and more a lie, a make-believe; Lois deserves truth, and while his head has always said him to restrain himself and be only Lois' best friend, his heart, his deep love for her can't stand anymore: better open himself to Lois' refuse of his love, than let her believing unworthy of love:

Another tear slipped down her cheek and Clark's heart twisted painfully. He swallowed past the lump in his throat as, once more, a war raged between his heart and his head. He loved her. Loved her more than life itself. But he'd almost lost her not long ago because he'd admitted his feelings for her. He'd driven her straight into the arms of Luthor.

Not that there was any chance of that happening now, but the aftereffects of that time were still fresh in his mind. He didn't want to lose her again. But he couldn't stand the thought of her feeling so lost and alone, either. He'd already taken back his declaration of love for her, and now they were making a fresh start as friends. But was that what he wanted? What either of them wanted?

Maybe she didn't love him the way he loved her, but he wasn't about to let her keep thinking she wasn't capable of being loved, or of thinking that there was nobody out there to offer her the kind of love she'd been looking and hoping for all these years.
I love his declaration:

When she rolled her eyes in self-deprecation, he tightened his hands around hers. "I know you don't believe this, but you are such an amazing woman. There is a man out there who is ready to love you like you want--and deserve--to be loved. He'll be somebody who will love you and treasure you every day of his life. He'll be somebody who *lives* for the moment he can fall asleep holding you in his arms at night, feeling your soft breath against his skin. He won't even want to close his eyes at night for fear that if he does, he'll wake up and realize it was all just a beautiful, unattainable dream. He'll be the kind of man who wants nothing more than to see you smile because it will mean that you're happy, and he'll want your happiness more anybody else's, even his own. He'll live to share your joy and sorrows, and he'll even cry with you when you're sad, because his soul will be so attune with yours that your pain will be his pain. So don't rule out love, Lois," he finished, his tone fierce and insistent. "Don't you *ever*. That kind of man is out there for you. I know it."
In a vulnerable whisper, after only the briefest of pauses, he said, "Me. *I* love you like that."
WOW. Just perfect. Perfect declaration, and perfect "why I love you" paragraph; you have such a way with words! Oh, and I love this imagine :

Clark smiled and drew her closer, wrapping his lower legs around her calves to keep her and her swing close to him.
So tender!

He flashed her a nervous smile. "Just say that I haven't totally freaked you out and I haven't scared you away for good."

Laughter bubbled up in her chest and it came out as a half-laugh, half-hiccup. "I'm not freaked out, and you haven't scared me away. I'm just..."

"Just...what?" he prompted. "Scared? Appalled? Happy? Give me an adjective, Lois. You're making me a nervous wreck, here."

"Happy," she blurted out on a genuine laugh. "Happy."
Love it, love it, love it !

"Clark, hearing that you love me makes me so happy. I would never had admitted it, but I was heartbroken when you told me that day outside the Planet that you'd only said you loved me to keep me from marrying Lex. I'd been about to tell you that I loved you, too."

A surprised gasp escaped Clark's lips. "What?"

She nodded. "It was true what I'd said to you in the park that day--I hadn't thought of you as more than a friend. But over the next few weeks, you and your declaration of love were all I was able to think about. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much I'd come to love you and depend on you. The thought of not having you in my life hurt more than anything. Just before Perry came barging into that chapel, I told Lex I couldn't marry him. And that was because of you, Clark. I realized I didn't love Lex. I loved you."
Her heart finally has won, but it wasn't a so difficult battle: these desires, this love weren't buried so deep under her armor, but just below, ready to break it; Clark' tender declaration made it possible.
Still, old fears die hard, but Clark senses her hesitation, and can help her:

She felt herself tremble at the enormity of what she was facing, and for a moment, a sliver of fear pierced her heart. It was a scary thing, talking about taking a relationship that was based on friendship and moving it on to the next level.

Clark seemed to sense the change in her mood because he lifted a hand to gently caress her face. "You don't have to be afraid, Lois. We can take this as slowly as you need. I don't want you to feel like I'm pressuring you into anything."

She nodded, grateful for his reassurance. "It is a little scary," she admitted, her voice tentative. "I know I love you, and I want to be with you. But...where are you suggesting that we go from here?"

"We don't have to rush, Lois. Let's take it a day at a time and see what feels comfortable. Let's go out on a few dates, get to know each other even better on this level. And if you ever feel like things are moving too fast, you tell me. We'll talk about it. All I'm asking is that you give us a chance. I want you to let me love you."

"Oh, Clark," she murmured, leaning in closer and bringing her hands up to his chest.
/contented sigh/ And again:

"Home, I think," she said, enjoying the feeling of his hand against hers as they walked. When she looked back up at him, there was a touch of apprehension on her face. "Then what?"

"Lois, there. is. no. rush." He said each word with emphasis. "You've heard that expression that some things are worth the wait?" When she nodded, he smiled. "Well, I can attest to the fact that you are."
I'm particularly happy that you wrote this final scene where she say how much she's happy for Lucy; everything has begun because of her wedding, so it's only fair having her here!

Clark led her over to the couch, her hand still in his. They sat down together and Lois tossed the thank-you note still in her hand onto the coffee table. "I'm just glad Lucy is happy."

Clark stretched his arm along the back of the couch behind her and Lois snuggled into his side. "And what about you?" he asked gently. "Are you happy?"

Lois craned her head to look up at Clark. She could see the sincerity in his gaze, the love he had for her shining clear up from his soul.

She lifted a hand to his cheek and traced her fingertips along his strong jaw. "Yes," she said on a whisper. "I am happy...happier than I ever thought I could be."

Clark's answering smile lit up his face. "So am I," he whispered back as he leaned toward her. Lois tilted her face up to his, looking forward to the touch of his lips on hers.
Now that I've quoted almost all your story, I have a doubt: you know that I loved it, don't you?

Simona wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh what a nice ending! I especially liked the last few lines. Beautiful. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Merriwether
Merriwether
Lovely story, Erin! I just read all three parts. When I got to the part about the red meat and eggs, my mind started shouting "Rocky!" I love the scene on the swings. Clark really does have the soul of a writer and a poet. And such a cute ending, too. smile

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lovely Erin. I really enjoyed it. And the story ending gave me a nice waffy ending to my day.

<DJ scowls in Tank's direction - now just what's wrong with 'mushy stuff'? wink )

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
From all the talks he and Lois had had since the Luthor fiasco, he knew her self-confidence had taken a beating.
Awww… Yes, Lois has been beaten down.

Clark gave her a sympathetic look. "Sorry. It's probably not my place to say, and you're probably going to get mad at me for saying it, but maybe if you talked *with* her instead of *down* to her a little more often, you'd learn things like that."
It needed to be said, Clark, even if it was hard for Lois to hear.

"Lois," he began, his voice low and firm. "You don't have to be jealous of Lucy. Your turn will come. You deserve to be happy, too, and I promise you, you will be."
Doesn’t always happen. Platitudes like that might not get you anywhere, Clark. (A declaration of love certainly did the trick though.)

He was the ultimate in hidden agendas, it turns out. The question is, what was his agenda for me?" She gave a plaintive shrug. "I guess I'll never know."
You probably don’t want to know, Lois.

In a vulnerable whisper, after only the briefest of pauses, he said, "Me. *I* love you like that."
Awww…

Clark smiled and drew her closer, wrapping his lower legs around her calves to keep her and her swing close to him.
This is just so sweet! …and sexy.

I’ve got to tell you after I read the first part, I was left thinking that I didn’t know if I wanted to continue. (It had a lot more reflection in it than I typically like.) But I’m so glad I did!! Oh, Erin this whole part was just so beautiful. It almost made me believe in fairy tales again.

DJ scowls in Tank's direction - now just what's wrong with 'mushy stuff'?
DJ, you do know this is Tank, don’t you… One of these days, though, we are going to have to band together and make Tank read a kidfic - better yet, let's make him write one...

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Wonderful, Erin! Thanks for such a great story! <please write more stories, please write more stories> I really enjoyed it. <please write more stories, please write more stories> It was just what I needed to start my day. smile <please write more stories, please write more stories>

Jo
<please write more stories, please write more stories>

Kerth
Kerth
It's great you pop here from time to time to leave us some presents wink

Now this kind of story is why Erin is an Icon. I can't write like this and gave up trying a long time ago. <sniff>
Nan!! hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you for such wonderful, glowing words! You guys make me blush. blush I am just thrilled to pieces that you guys liked this. I honestly wasn't sure how it would be received, so I'm flattered you enjoyed reading it.

Nan and Tank--my goodness! An icon? Hardly. blush Unless, by "icon," you just mean a member of the fandom who's been around here longer than dirt. laugh Honestly, I am flattered and floored you would think of me that way.

And Nan...don't make me come over there and thwap you! What are you saying, 'you wish you could write like..' whatever? You write BRILLIANTLY! As you already know, I, for one, am a huge fan. thumbsup

Thank you guys soooo much for all your kind words and encouragement! You have totally made my year. sloppy

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Erin,

It's great to see you back!

I really liked this. It felt real for me, the feelings and dialogue, the way you expressed them.

Thank you!

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Columnist
Columnist
Wow what a great story and a great ending. I loved the scene with the swings on the playground and the 5 bucks kissing story. thumbsup

You are amazing and the monologue of Clark why he loves her is so cute I can't put it in words.

Hope you'll be back soon with other stories.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard