Well... blush Nancy was right and I can't possibly finish this story in just one part. There's at least one more, possibly two even, cause the last scene might be on the lengthy side. wink

Also... just so you know, this part is mostly A-plot. You'll get a few amusing bits with Jimmy and Lois, though. Not to mention a scene with several superheros which I happen to be quite proud of. wink

Finally, this part is slightly shorter than the others, but it's been a few weeks since I posted anything (blame it on Paris) so even though I could keep on going a little bit, I'm going to post this now and start working on the rest of the story ASAP.

From Part 7:
She unlocked the storage room's door and, as she opened it, she found herself starting right at a big red 'S' set over a certain blue spandex suit which she didn't imagine she'd ever see so soon again. She looked up at Clark's face, amazed at the speed at which he'd shown up there. The Flash had nothing on him for sure, she thought.

"Seriously?" he asked, his eyes intense with unspoken emotion.

Lois just stood and stared for a few seconds. It was the first time she saw him in the Suit, since she'd found out that Clark was Superman. No wonder she'd never really looked that closely as his face when he wore it... it fit just right in all the right places, she thought appreciatively.

"Lois?" he said, with a bemused look. Clark couldn't help but notice she was giving him the once-over.

"Oh..." she said finally, her cheeks reddening. "Yeah," she whispered, and looking him straight in the eyes she added, "seriously."

He smiled and gently brushed the back of his hand against her cheek.

"Now, go!" she ordered him softly, a second later. She would have liked for this moment not to end so soon, but Superman was needed out there! Not to mention it would look mighty suspicious if anyone had seen them standing there right at that moment.

He nodded and with that, he disappeared in a blur of red and blue.

~.~.~.~.~

Part 8:

Lois went back to the newsroom, a bright smile on her face. He was here now and everything would be OK again. Clark - Superman! - was back in Metropolis. The Weather Wizard and that nasty Livewire woman would be caught in not time!

She walked over to Jimmy who was still glued to the TV set in the hopes of catching a glimpse of The Flash. "Come on, Jimmy," she told him, "grab your camera, we're going out there."

"Lois, are you out of your mind? Have you seen what it looks like on the streets? I'm staying right here where it's safe!"

"No," she commanded, "you're going to get your camera, then we are going to go outside and we're going to get ourselves the best front page material we've had in months."

"You can do whatever you like, but I am not taking a walk in a foot and a half of water!"

"Listen, Jimmy..." Lois pleaded, "There are two, possibly even three, super-powered guys out there trying to stop a madman that's controlling the weather. This is your chance at an award winning photograph, trust me!"

"Yeah, but Lois, Metropolis is a big city," Jimmy argued, "They could be anywhere. Who's to say we're going to see anything besides lots and lots of water? I'm not going to ruin a perfectly good pair of shoes just to make you happy."

"Oh, for crying out loud! For one thing, if you'd actually listened to the news instead of trying to catch a few red blurs on TV, you might have realized that it's not raining anywhere but downtown. And second, Superman is back. I'll take pictures myself if I have to, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let the Star get the exclusive."

"He's back?" Jimmy asked, clearly excited. "Why didn't you just say so? Come on! I know a great place were we can go that's not very far. You know that really big ugly sculpture they're trying to pass off as modern art, in the little park in front of the First Metropolis Bank? We can climb that, there's room for both of us to stand on top. It's high enough that we'll have a great view and we'll be safe from the rising waters. It's perfect!"

Jimmy picked up the camera from his desk and they hurried into the elevator.

~.~.~.~.~

Meanwhile, far away from the rain...

"What is *he* doing here?" the Wizard raged, having seen images of The Flash on TV. "He has no business in Metropolis! This doesn't concern him!"

He started pacing. It wasn't useful, he knew, but he just couldn't help it. The Flash was here and his message meant he knew exactly who was behind the weather conditions. How had his plan deteriorated so fast?

It was all *her* fault! Why, oh why, did she have to go and announce to the world that Superman was gone? What else could he have done but try and stop her? He'd known since the second they met that she would be his downfall. She could make his blood boil like no one could and mess with his head in such a way he should never have let her.

That damned flamboyant, impulsive - and insanely beautiful - blue pain in the butt! She'd done what he feared she might do, what he knew she would if he wasn't careful... she'd pushed him right over the edge and he'd reacted in a fit of rage, without thinking of the consequences.

If he didn't find a way out of this fast, he was done for.

~.~.~.~.~

The Flash had been running around all over the business district for the last few minutes, getting as many people out of harms way as he could and stopping criminal activity when possible.

It was still raining as hard as ever. Perhaps the Wizard hadn't heard his message? He'd been so sure that offering himself on a silver platter, in exchange for the lives of everyone else, would grab the man's attention... Of course, he had no real intention of surrendering just like that - especially not with help he knew should be on the way. Unless the Wizard had gotten wiser and seen right through his ploy? No matter... For now, Flash's only objective was to make sure people were safe. He'd worry about the Wizard if and when he was faced with him.

"Hey, speedy," he heard a man say, as he was running out of an alleyway he'd just been checking. He knew of only one person who'd be able to catch up to him if he was running at full speed like this.

Flash stopped on a dime and sank right into the water. "Ugh!" he exclaimed in disgust. He'd forgotten that considering the speed he was going, he'd been pretty much walking on water.

"It's Flash," he said in a falsely defiant air to the man hovering a few feet above him in the air. "How many times do I need to tell you? *Flash*."

"Right..." the other answered, amused. "And why should I bother trying to get it right when you're going around calling me 'Supes'?"

"It's just... ah... a term of endearment, you know? Cause I like you so darn much!" Flash let out a great big laugh. "Good to see you, big guy. One has to wonder, though... what the hell took you so long?! You know, I seem to remember you being almost as fast as I am. What happened? Old age catching up with you?" he added, semi-seriously.

"Oh don't be so full of yourself," Superman told him, lowering himself until his feet hit the water. "I seem to remember you being almost as fast as *I* am. Besides, from what I understand, you've been here less then ten minutes."

"Yeah, but do you have any idea how many people I've *saved* in those ten minutes?" he replied with a sly smile.

"I suppose if I ask, you're going to tell me you've saved a few million people?" Superman chuckled.

"*Several* millions. You underestimate me, as always," Flash retorted.

"Oh, cut it out, you guys!" said another man, jumping out of the water like a dolphin.

"Hey! A.C., you made it!" Flash grinned widely.

"You're not supposed to call me that," the man whispered, a bit uneasy, "that's the whole point of the costume and the secret identity, you know?"

"Aquaman. I'm sorry," Flash said, with a playful bow of the head. "But, come on, you'd have to be insanely brilliant to figure out what A.C. even stands for! For all anyone knows it could mean 'air conditioning' or 'alternating current' and about a zillion different first and last name combinations. Chill out, will 'ya!"

"You know, we may all be lightning fast in our own way, but I daresay we're wasting a lot of time arguing over these things," Superman told them.

"Ah, yes, of course, always Mr. Reasonable," Aquaman said with an exaggerated grimace.

Superman raised an eyebrow at him. "Someone needs to be. Especially with you two around."

"Well look who's being full of himself now," Flash chuckled.

"Ok, let's be serious for a second..." Superman started, "I tried blowing that cloud away, but it just wouldn't budge. We need to find this Weather Wizard quickly or we'll have a New Atlantis on our hands here."

Aquaman's eyes twinkled and he gave them a dreamy, lopsided smile.

"Oh, don't say it!" Flash warned him, "You only get *one* kingdom, your majesty." He bowed before the Atlantean king in a mock salute.

"Worth a try," Aquaman said, shrugging.

"Right... Anyway..." Flash turned to Superman. "I've got a pretty good idea how to stop the Wizard, but damned if I have any idea where to *find* him. I'm not from around here, you know."

"Neither are we, if you really think about it," Aquaman pointed out.

"Maybe, but *he* lives here now," Flash said, tilting his head in the direction of Superman.

"Any ideas how I could find this guy?" Superman asked Flash, ignoring the new debate.

"I'd guess he's hiding a few miles outside the city. He's never right in the middle of the action; he'll be keeping away from the weather conditions he's created. If we went to S.T.A.R. Labs, we could scan for polaron emissions, those would lead us directly to him, but without the proper equipment, I don't see how..."

"Leave that to me," Superman said, nodding. "You get back to what you were doing," he added, pointing to Flash. Then, pointing to Aquaman, he continued, "And you help him out. I'll find the Wizard."

Aquaman nodded and dove right back into the water before disappearing with a small splash.

"Hey, Supes," Flash started, "sorry... Su-per-man," he then corrected, rolling his eyes at the other man's raised eyebrows, "when you find the guy, I want in on the fight. I owe him for last time."

"You got it," Superman agreed, patting him on the shoulder amicably. This said, he took off to the sky and Flash resumed his search for people to help and criminals to stop.

~.~.~.~.~

Meanwhile, high above the rapidly flooding streets of downtown Metropolis...

Livewire had sought shelter under an electronic billboard as soon as she'd noticed the rain starting to fall. A few drops, she might be able to handle, but she'd lose her powers and most of her life-force if she got herself any wetter than that.

She'd never been more annoyed at the Weather Wizard! He'd threatened her several times with rain so it was obvious he was doing this just to bug her! He would have picked something with a little more impact otherwise, she was sure of it. Didn't he realize that this sort of stunt was like pointing a gigantic finger right at himself?

Up until now, it had almost been like committing the perfect crime. You don't go looking for someone you don't even realize exists! But no.... he had to go and ruin everything. The Flash was here which meant he'd figured things out. It would be just a matter of time before Superman found out what was going on, too. He'd be back once he knew, of course. And it wouldn't take long before someone connected her to all of this, too. Lois Lane or that overgrown sidekick of hers were a sure bet, you couldn't get any nosier than them!

Oooooh, how she hated, hated, hated the Weather Wizard! How could he be so careless and stupid? He would be so sorry he ever bossed Livewire around. She would make him pay for this. She'd make him pay for everything!

She jumped right into the billboard she was hiding under and disappeared in a blinding blue flash of lightning.

~.~.~.~.~

"Up there, Jimmy!" Lois shouted, pointing at the billboard above their heads. "Did you see that? It's got to be her!"

Jimmy was standing in almost three feet of water, trying to climb up the squarish sculpture he'd suggested they should mount. He'd helped Lois up without too much effort, but getting himself up there with no one to give him a lift was proving to be a little more complicated.

"Well, take a picture, Lois! You've got the camera!" he reminded her. He'd given it to her once she'd been safely up, so that it wouldn't get damaged as he tried to make it up there himself. Of course it was too late now and while they'd seen the lightning bolt, they'd have no pictures of it. So much for being at the right place at the right time...

As Jimmy finally managed to join Lois on top of the sculpture, he realized what a truly harebrained idea this was. They'd be stuck there if it didn't stop raining soon! There had been less than two feet of water in the street when they'd left the Daily Planet and at the rate rain was falling from the sky, it would be just a matter of minutes before everything was covered in water. And then, what would they do? Swim back to the office?

"Lois, you know, I really think we should cut our losses and go back to the Planet."

"You're kidding, I hope?" She glared at him, as frustrated by his comment as by the fact that she was soaking wet.

"No, seriously. If the rain keeps up, we'll be trapped here real quick," he explained. "This was a bad idea, Lois. We're not going to see anything from here. I don't know what I was thinking. We should go back."

"Over my dead body! We came out here for the exclusive and I'm not leaving until we have it!" she told him, defiantly.

If there was one thing about Lois that Jimmy both admired and hated, it was her determination. She never let go once she'd made her mind up about something. Sadly, it almost always meant she'd stop listening to reason, much as she was doing now. Much to his regret, getting Lois to change her mind about something wasn't an ability that Jimmy had been blessed with.

He sighed and sat himself down on top of the structure. Perhaps if he was lucky, it would stop raining soon. Or better yet, maybe The Flash would happen to pass by and rescue him from both the rising waters and Lois Lane's hardheadedness...

~.~.~.~.~

Shortly after, in the Wizard's lab...

A flash of bright light blinded the Wizard. He blinked furiously for a few seconds. When his eyes got accustomed to the lighting in the room again, he found himself facing what was, quite probably, his worst nightmare.

A seriously pissed off Livewire was standing barely six feet before him. He had never seen her look anywhere near that angry and menacing before. She had both arms extended on her sides, her palms facing the ceiling. Two small balls of electric energy were floating right above her hands.

"Don't!" he cried, crossing his arms in front of his face for protection. "You don't want to do this. Please, listen. We can work this out!"

His wand was several feet away from him. Even if he lunged for it, there was no way he would be quick enough to grab it and use it against her... it would only take *her* a second to react and stun him with bursts of electric energy. His only chance was trying to reason with her. He lowered his arms slowly, but made no attempt to move from his position, hoping she would see this as what he meant it to be: a gesture of trust.

"Work what out? You pathetic excuse for a super villain!" she spat at him, barely restrained fury flashing in her eyes.

"Livewire... my dear friend," he started, in as calming a tone as he could manage, "we have both acted too impulsively this morning. I admit that your display of lights angered me to a degree where I stopped thinking rationally and simply acted. I recognize my error, but surely you realize that had you not gone out and claimed victory so hastily, this wouldn't have happened."

"The only thing I realize is that you're as incompetent as your brother was brilliant," she replied, knowing perfectly well the effect this would have on the man's ego.

White rage pulsed through the Wizard's veins. She had no right to speak of his brother! Despite himself, he plunged towards the end table on which his wand lay. He would make her take back her words if it was the last thing he did! As he grabbed the metallic object, he heard a sharp whipping sound and found himself surrounded by blue light before everything finally went black.

~.~.~.~.~

To Be Continued...

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies