Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
I love it! I love it! I love it!

First, thank goodness the poor ficus finally got some water. I was really getting worried. And this

But a poor plant had no means of blocking its auditory receptors from unwanted sounds. Self could only hope the human would leave the dwelling soon - perhaps to go "on patrol"? Because if that tuneless, off-key humming didn't stop soon, self wouldn't be accountable for self's actions...
had me in stitches!

But back to the romance...

wow. I had a feeling she'd figured some things out. I love the explanation, though, of exactly how she figured it out.

The idea of Lois being so scarred by previous relationships, that the was truly traumatized by Clark's lying, was great. I can definitely see that. And I also really liked the way they went back and talked over some of the key moments in their relationship together. smile

I'm glad she didn't give in to him immediately...she needed time to really work though things herself. But I'm also really glad it didn't take her too long.

I almost cheered aloud at this part:

She drew a deep, painful breath. "Please stay," she said in a small voice.
I'm too excited to write any more for now. Suffice it to say that it was wonderful!

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ditto, ditto, ditto

Loved it Mere.

When Clark came to her and crouched down to plead his case---so nice

And now the Ficus will be thriving because who couldn't thrive where there's love!!!!

Barb.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mere, I've been very remiss in not posting on the first two parts of this, though I plead absence on business and extreme tiredness. smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, Mere, this was fabulous! <g> The angst was well-done; it was very realistic that Lois would need some time to sort things through, and be angry about some of them! But I'm glad she didn't let that overcome everything else. Their eventual reconciliation was very very sweet.

Thank goodness, self got watered in time! goofy And this bit:

if that tuneless, off-key humming didn't stop soon, self wouldn't be accountable for self's actions...
rotflol Poor plant! You've got a great way with writing, ahem, unusual characters <g> I'll never look at ficuses (ficii?) the same way again!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Features Writer
Features Writer
Barb said:
And now the Ficus will be thriving because who couldn't thrive where there's love!!!!
Well, assuming that the poor little ficus can survive Superman's humming, that is. Who would have thought that Superman couldn't carry a tune? goofy

A wonderful conclusion to a lovely story, Meredith. Although I will admit that I was pretty annoyed with Lois when she started comparing Clark to Lex, more than once! I felt very badly for both of them during the whole conversation: both of them hurting, and both struggling to understand what the other is feeling so they can find their way back to each other.

And at last...
The moment their lips touched, the rest of the world disappeared. Lois's whole body seemed to be melting; she couldn't get enough of his taste, his touch, the feeling of his body against hers.
Happy sigh... [Linked Image]

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay! Fantastic Mere!

I loved it. Funny and poignant and mushy and wonderful smile

But poor, poor ficus, I only hope Clark gives self more attention from now on. Plants need love too!

Oh and yay Venice! Not Paris for once... wink

Thank you!

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
"Now that's showing off,"
laugh laugh laugh

Excellent post-revelation conversation.

Loved this story!
HC wave

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I love it!!!!!!!!!!

The epilogue had me in stitches. The ficus is so cute and so observant! LOL that Clark couldn't carry a tune.

I also really enjoyed the post-revaltaion conversation. smile

- Alicia smile1

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Bingo!! thumbsup thumbsup

Great story, with a perfect ending.

I love their dialogue, especially when it comes to TOGOM. So sweet and moving... it made me sigh.../me sighing (once) again.

The best part though was the Epilogue <g> It was definitely very LOLly! laugh laugh

Btw I'm very happy about the ficus <g> Ecologists around the FoLCdom join me!! (lol)

So, waiting for more by you, Meredith.

And, last but not least:

Happy birthday, Sarah, Wendy and Annie! (a multiple present, huh? laugh )

party party party

See ya all soon.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Beautiful story. smile1

MAF laugh

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL! and YAY! The ficus got watered! I'm so happy. dance

This was a great story, and I loved all of it. I have to admit, tho, my favorite passage was this one:

But a poor plant had no means of blocking its auditory receptors from unwanted sounds. Self could only hope the human would leave the dwelling soon - perhaps to go "on patrol"? Because if that tuneless, off-key humming didn't stop soon, self wouldn't be accountable for self's actions...
dizzy

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Whew. Could have been uglier. *relieved sigh*

Clark chuckled. "I assure you, even invulnerability doesn't save me from these monsters.
clap
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I seemed to have missed the wham here. Even the ficus survived.

Actually there was a point in their 'discussions' where I thought that Lois might have gone too far and that Clark would just leave, figuring that Lois was just not going to listen to any explanation that he'd give.

But no, you have to have her stick it out and, of course, it had to lead to all that waffy yucky stuff. Where's the fun of that?

Overall it was a good story, if you like that overly sweet waffy ending type of stuff. Maybe next time you can consider a more realistic ending. You know, the kind where everything that can go wrong, does go wrong, and the loving couple realize that they really don't like each other and split up never to be happy again... you know, real life.

Tank (who is very concerned at how waffy this board is getting and worried that the gentle writers have forgotten the absolute needs for whams in a story to make it work)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL You mean the ficus shutting off the water supply to a couple of stems and leaves wasn't enough Wham! ROTFLMAO! I loved the little ending with the ficus<g> But the romantic exchange between our 2 favorite characters was wonderful. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
that was great, mere. very sweet, very waffy. lovely revelation.

and as for the epiogue... rotflol

i'm glad it got its water. smile

oh, and one more thing... [Linked Image] annie! party

(okay. that's 5 minutes early. not too bad. <g>)

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Happy birthday, Sarah, Wendy, and Annie! thumbsup

"I did love both of you," she continued, looking awkwardly down at her hands. "That's why I should have known you were the same person. But I wouldn't admit, even to myself, that I loved two different men - that would have made me some sort of pervert. So I thought I could compromise - have Clark as my partner and best friend, and Superman as my boyfriend. You wrecked my plans completely, that day... Superman wouldn't have me, and Clark wouldn't work with me. And he wasn't even a safe friend any more. So I accepted Lex's proposal instead. It took me weeks - right up until the morning of my wedding -" She paused and moistened her lips. "- to realise that I couldn't live without you." She lifted her head and met his eyes at last. There was a strange mixture of emotions in her eyes - love and fear, hope and doubt. "Clark you. That's why I said 'I can't' at the altar."
Given Lois' behavior during the whole BatP/HOL arc, this explanation actually makes a lot of sense to explain why she did what she did without making her look like a shallow moron. Okay, she still was, but not as much of one.

"You didn't try to take advantage of the situation when we were on stakeout at the Lexor, either," she said, remembering. She'd half expected him to; any other male of her acquaintance would have done. She'd even, in a moment of madness - or perhaps a moment of unusual clarity? - packed a sexy, silky nightdress for the stay, just in case... She'd been horrified at herself afterwards. When she'd gone back later for a night on her own, she'd packed her thickest flannel pyjamas.
This is an interesting take. She was planning on giving in if he made a pass at her. I'd have to look at the ep again, but I don't think she was wearing flannel at the end. (small nit)

"You kissed me goodbye at the airport last night, if you remember, but it was a rather half-hearted job." Her fingers threaded themselves through his thick, soft hair. "I've been thinking about it since then... rather a lot, in fact... and I feel you could do much better."
Way to go, Lois! dance

"So that's why you never minded sitting on my loveseats," she murmured once her breathing had quietened. "Invulnerable rear end... very useful."

Clark chuckled. "I assure you, even invulnerability doesn't save me from these monsters. What does help is being able to levitate."
ROTFL! rotflol

No comment on the ficus. smile

Great story!

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Blogger
Blogger
One wonders if self is about to commit the equivalent of plant homocide... laugh

Great story. thumbsup

"Certainty of Death. Little chance of success.... What are we waiting for?"

Gimli - Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL at the Gollum comment. Self doesn't dub self "precious." laugh

I wa extremely troubled by the way Lois persisted in comparing Clark to Lex. I thought it was unfair and rather cruel on Lois' part. Yes, both lied to her. I would not suggest they both manipulated her, though. And Clark certainly never behaved to Lois the way Lex did.

Other than that, though, it was a charming revelation and a satisfyingly honest conversation. Towards the end, though, I started worrying that poor self wouldn't get its water. Thank goodness it did! laugh

Thanks for a fun story, Mere. And LOL at Clark's tunelessness... I think that's another bit of "fanon." smile

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yay! Happy endings all around, even for the ficus! smile1

And he had a nasty feeling that it might be the last conversation he would have with her for a very long time.
Uh-oh... frown

The ficus! He'd forgotten to water the poor thing, too! For a moment Clark was on the verge of swinging round and hurrying back to his apartment; then he grimaced, recognising it as a delaying tactic. Another hour wouldn't kill the ficus.
No wonder the poor thing is half dead! eek

He opened his mouth again. It was dry. "No, Lois," he said quietly.

The heavens didn't open up and rain fire and brimstone on the earth. The ground didn't crack and spew forth the armies of the apocalypse. The lights did dim a little, and there was a roaring noise in his ears, but Clark vaguely suspected that was more to do with himself than with the world around him.
Oh, boy! Moment of truth time. <ulp>

Because deep down, she was desperate to believe him. If she couldn't turn the clock back so that tonight had never happened, so that Clark and Superman were their comfortable, distinct selves, then she needed Clark to explain what he'd done so that it made sense.

Oh, YAY!!! thumbsup on the watering... and laugh on the poor thing's... uh... suffering.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Kerth
Kerth
cool

Fantastic story smile

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard