A Wedding in Paris
Chapter Three

METROPOLIS: JARAWU BASIL’S SEAMSTRESS SHOP

“A long wedding veil le rouge (red)? At my age? Jarawu, I think not.” Abrihet said with a stubborn shake of her head.

A curvy woman in her late sixties moved around Abrihet with an elegance of character and strength that made a mockery of her age and size. Jarawu Basil said, “So, a perfect complement to your long hair, will it be worn in braids or out?”

“Braids tout petit, (tiny) straight down my back.”

“Then the veil need not cover the face, an effortless long red veil shall cascade down your back and stop below the knee. I should also weigh how much beading will be in the headdress. The very thing to balance the off-the-shoulder jacket, the golden thread embroidery will be on the cuffs and the edgings. The long skirt will have a simple train and similar needlework on the hem.”

Abrihet shuddered. “Off the shoulder? Veil le rouge? No. No. I cannot be wed in that! I am a scientist, in my mid-forties! Such a garment is for a young woman fresh out of university.”

A warm hand patted Abrihet on her shoulder, “As your couturière (seamstress) trust what can be accomplished! Such radiant skin color and muscle tone are beautiful and should be celebrated! But as you wish, the veil shall be white. Bernard Klein will forget you are a scientist and will only have eyes – and lips - for the woman.”

Mischief glimmered in her dark eyes. “Now … there are beads which need to be chosen for the necklace. I shall be right back.” With that, Jarawu bustled out of the fitting room.

Lois chuckled and thought; a woman can be many things at this dawn of the 21st century, but when it came to picking out a wedding gown, she was putty in the hands of her seamstress.

She remembered her own gown, a sweet confection of lace and satin, who would have thought of hard edged, Mad Dog Lane being a romantic bride? She spent three Sundays snooping through vintage dresses at consignment shops, quaint boutiques and even the local flea market for the perfect find.

The gown was finally located by Jade Phillips, owner of the upscale woman’s store Darcy. She knew about the romance between Lois and Clark and was determined that when Lois walked down the aisle rocking that lace creation so gracefully it would make Jane Austen shout; You go girl!

Now Lois watched as her dear friend made the same journey.

The black woman began to blush darkly with embarrassment after Jarawu departed. Not wearing a red veil was another tradition being put aside. Yet, it was not the first time she had abandoned the traditional marriage customs of her people. Running away from prearranged marriage was the first of many. As the fitting continued, some of those customs came to mind.

She smiled sadly, the Introduction Ceremony most definitely would not take place.

It was customary that prior to an engagement, the families of the bride and the groom become acquainted through a formal ceremony. The groom's family usually travels to the home of the bride's family and presents a letter requesting the woman's hand in marriage.

Traditional dances and the offer of a dowry are part of the process to persuade the bride's family to accept the letter. This ceremony often occurs only a few days before the wedding.

Bernard’s parents were deceased and she had not spoken to her father and mother since escaping from a most imprudent forced match with a man many years her senior.

The evening before the wedding day, the groom's family visits the bride's family again. This visit is to hear the response to the letter that was presented during the introduction ceremony. If a positive response is given, both families are formally introduced to the guests. Friends and family celebrate the engagement with food and drink. Often the groom's family provides traditional foods such as palm, yam, sugar and drinks as well as offering the bride's family a suitcase packed with traditional clothing, bags, shoes and jewelry.

The officiating elder, the person who transferred the messages between the couple's families, drinks from a cup of palm wine and may also invite the bride and the groom to share the drink. When the ceremony has ended, the bride remains at her father's house to prepare for the actual wedding ceremony.

The Engagement Ceremony was of course out of the question since the only member of her family to attend would be her youngest sister Kuma. No tribal elder to officiate or feast provided by the family. There would be a wedding presided over by an official at the Town Hall in her arrondissement. Following immediately afterwards a fun-filled reception at Restaurant Maison Blanche, she tried to imagine Bernard drinking Palm wine with her relatives and the officiant and she decided he would have done very well indeed.

Jarawu Basil was the most talented Nigerian couturière living in Metropolis and with her skillful hands the perfect gown would be created for Abrihet’s wedding day. She intended to wear imported Indian fabrics as well as a decorative coral-beaded headpiece and an elaborate necklace, to accompany the white veil. She would not have her father attend her at city hall or have a noisy live band. Nor would she return to her father's home to change out of her wedding attire. Bernard would not arrive with his family to claim his bride and as a newly married couple, depart to begin their new life together.

No, many of the old dreams she had as a young girl had vanished, but she was eternally grateful for the new reality she and Bernard planned to share.

Lois’ words broke into her thoughts. “From where I stand Abrihet, you are going to be a beautiful bride!”

“Thank you. But right now I would happily settle for a hazelnut coffee. Standing around waiting for Jarawu to shape this plush fabric into a gown is exciting, but tiring.” Suddenly she beamed, all thoughts of weariness vanished. “Imagine mon aimee, a mere cinq semaines (five weeks) remain!”

“Yeah, we are trying to get everything done on our end as well. I’m glad Bernie was able to find the perfect townhouse yesterday and with the able assistance of his realtor will be able to close within the week. That’s a huge item off the list. But once the bans are read, the wedding arrangements must be set.” Lois said as she looked over the peach and gray fabric that would be used for the Maid of Honor’s gown. Aykira’s sister, Kuma had flown over from England to be fitted for the dress. She had also helped Abrihet with a dozen other little things before returning home. Lois thought the younger woman was beautiful and would do the gown justice.

“What about the interview with Aykira Milan? Didn’t you want to get that done before leaving for Paris?” Abrihet asked.

Lois groaned. “We are still playing phone tag with her assistant. Ms. Milan is one busy executive! After a year, she’s still putting out smoldering fires from the days when Luthor ran the company. But the stock prices reflected well from LexCorp’s Board of Directors annual meeting. For the most part that’s been a huge factor on getting the company back on course. As long as Luthor doesn’t pop up, Ms. Milan should have no further troubles with the SEC or any government officials.”

Abrihet lowered her voice and said, “Is there any possibility of him returning?”

“Not if my other father-in-law has anything to do with it!” Lois said with a snort.

METROPOLIS: LEXCORP

A slender woman, sporting a perfect blonde bob haircut, with a brisk New Jersey accent went over Aykira’s calendar, “That’s everything for today. Radames Perez sent over the latest projections for the company wide computer training. With him at the helm, our company will be well ahead of all the others over the Y2K situation.”

“The new century is not that far off, we need to be prepared.” Aykira said in agreement.

“One more item; Lois Lane-Kent called again, asking about doing that interview. There’s some time in the business calendar for them next week.”

“Tara, get them in here this week ….tomorrow night if necessary. After the success of the yearly summit, LexCorp needs all the positive media coverage we can get. Getting that PR from the reporters who brought down the ‘House of Luthor’ will be an ironic touch.”

"Hmmm, let me make a few phone calls and shift a meeting or two around.” She tapped the pen to her cheek and said. “You can see them before your fencing lesson. That ought to give you at least an hour with them.”

With a quick shake of her head Aykira said, “Make it forty-five minutes. The Kents understand what company issues I’m dealing with. That amount of time should allow them to write a strong article and not a useless puff piece. Besides I need time to dress for my lesson with Joachim and then drive to his building.”

“Okay, I’ll put in the call later today.” Tara rapidly jotted down something in appointment calendar and then left.

Once the door had shut behind her assistant, Aykira draped an amber colored, silk and linen hand knitted cardigan over her shoulders. She opened the large French doors and stepped out onto the terrace. The breezes of early evening swept over her like a cooling embrace, eliminating the fatigue of the day. Truth be told, she really only took over Lex’s former office because of the terrace. She had overseen the installment of lavender and jasmine plants placed in large earthenware pots in a variety of colors. Other plants, such as hosta, dogwood and coleus were going into autumn slumber, but the smell of fresh earth and floral scents so far from ground level was a welcome change of pace to the city’s unpleasant odors, a small, outdoor haven tucked away from the rest of the world.

She sat down on a teak and steel chair and looked over the city contemplating the thought of using the Daily Planet reporters to help her achieve the long-term goal of consumer confidence in LexCorp. This was yet another step in improving the brand. Sure, the stockholders were happy with the gains they had made in the past year, but an independent research firm had corroborated her suspicions that the man-on-the-street still distrusted the company.

LexCorp had a long way to go to regain that confidence. As a whole the corporation had reached a watershed period, it’s most dangerous yet. If they continued to turn their energies towards positive actions such as stepped up efforts in cancer research, recycling and education not only would the company benefit, but so might the entire planet.

Nonetheless for all her efforts, not a day went by that thoughts did not meander to the disappearance of the company’s founder and where he might be.

Sharp memories crashed down, like majestic blocks of ice breaking from a glacier of them dining together on this very terrace when he asked her to leave her current position as director of LexSolar and become worldwide head of marketing. Her spine tingled when Lex took her hand and suggested they take dessert inside. Chef Andre’s staff had set up a table and atop crisp white linen beside a silver tea service were two chilled dishes of vanilla ice cream, homemade no doubt and a bowl of Oreo cookies.

Somehow, Lex had discovered her favorite dessert! The fact that he knew her so well was a bit frightening. Still she reasoned, it is a poor general who does not know the strengths and weaknesses of his commanders. Lex thought to relax her by playing the role of the common man. Rather than using spoons they scooped up the delightfully cold confections with the cookies, laughing like children.

The mood went from innocence to much more as over china cups of chamomile tea; Lex began to segue into her additional ‘personal’ responsibilities to him. As honeyed words flowed from his lips to her disbelieving ears it seemed impossible that he was aware of her concealed feelings for him. Like a fool she exposed those feelings when he drew her close to him and they shared the first of many silken kisses that night.

Wisely, before heated emotions overshadowed good judgment, she told Lex that mixing business with pleasure was not what she wanted. Before he could manipulate her emotions any further, she fled the penthouse.

The next morning upon arrival at her office, a note was on her desk, announcing that the marketing position had been given to another executive – a man. She was being ‘promoted’ to LexCorp recycling facilities in Kansas City, effective immediately.

Swallowing her anger, Aykira went to the Midwest and made the most of a wretched situation. Again, Lex knew her weakness. Since a brutal car accident had taken her parents. Her maternal grandparents were taking care of her two younger brothers; they were depending on her salary to help.

Lex, as the corporate general, understood and used her weaknesses, yet at the same time completely underestimated her considerable strengths. The LexCorp Board members were impressed enough that when Lex disappeared they looked to her to fill the CEO role. The man was arrogant enough to think he would live forever and so never groomed anyone to be his successor. Aykira was a rare commodity within LexCorp; far away enough not to be a threat to Lex and yet talented enough to be on the board’s radar.

Involvement with Lex Luthor at that time would have tainted her, eventually forcing her to seek employment elsewhere when the series of Daily Planet articles appeared. A bittersweet smile of victory pulled across her lips. Now she was the one in control and fully intended to do some measure of good with all the resources he had provided. The very last thing that LexCorp and Aykira Milan needed was the return of Lex Luthor.

NEW KRYPTON: LEX’S QUARTERS

Lex entered his rooms through the airlock and was proceeding to remove the black gravity armor when he heard a familiar, detested voice.

“Back from your grubbing chores, Lex-Er?” the warden said snidely.

Sighing, Lex stopped removing the garment and walked into the main room and saw Dru-Zod standing with a satisfied look on his face. Weariness of body from his long day at the collective overcame Lex; he did not have the strength to tolerate the arrogant man this evening. He gazed briefly at the corridor leading to the bathroom, realizing a long, deep soak in the hot tub would have to wait and asked. “Why are you here?”

Dru-Zod sat down on the sofa and stretched out his legs. “It is time to discuss returning to your world. Unless such a conversation does not interest you?”

“Of course it does, but you mentioned that last week and thus far, all your words mean nothing. Now unless there is something important for me to know, I am rather tired after ‘grubbing’ all day and would like to take a bath. So if you will excuse me.” Lex moved towards the bathroom.

Dru-Zod’s next words hit him like a thunderbolt, “Lex-Er, be prepared to leave this prison tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” Shocked, his tongue fairly stumbled over the word.

“Yes, one of the Transfer Beam technicians shall render our cause some assistance. He will be waiting to send us and a few ‘friends’ to Earth. Make sure to be ready. After your chores are completed tomorrow, one of my men will pick you up from the collective and bring you to Jor-El’s laboratory.” Reading the expression on Lex’s face, Dru-Zod said. “Don’t concern yourself; my followers have this situation well in hand.

Beneath the warder’s confident exterior, Lex sensed tension, perhaps his plans were not as well laid out as he presented them to be.

NEW KRYPTON: OM COLLECTIVE

The end of year moonround was upon them. Om Collective’s harvest yield had exceeded all expectations. Several people had asked Lex-Er to join them for dinner and a glass of golden spice wine, but Lex-Er had smiled congenially and waved them off. He was working on next year’s grain projections, an important project for Vax-Om and he wanted to complete it before returning to his quarters that evening. As a consequence his plate had been pushed aside, the food untouched.

Lex looked up from the tablet when he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. “The food is not to your liking?”

Startled, he saw Eyner with a concerned look on her plain face and said with a genuine smile, “No. Not all! Your cooking is one of the best parts of working here.”

She nodded her head from side to side, a movement unique to her that meant she understood. “Just so. Tonight, dessert is fresh maka root.”

He started to salivate in anticipation of the delicacy which tasted like a baked apple with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. “You spoil all of us with that treat! Especially me, it is my favorite. Thank you.”

“Spoil?” She thought about that for a second and then a tiny smile curled over her lips. “Ah! A human expression. Thank me by eating it.” She patted his shoulder again. “Working muscles need to be fed!”

She moved off to help one of the other servers. The noisy common hall was filled with people this evening. All extremely proud of their achievement, the soil was now giving its yield freely for all New Kryptonians. As he watched, it amazed him that she and her husband did not sit down to eat until the field techs had been fed first. Such selflessness had been a marvel to him. In his old life as a man of wealth and position he would have demanded to be served first.
His old life.

It seemed like a dream, returning to Earth. To step outside without the need to don armor – no matter how light weight and flexible.
The question remained in his thoughts, what would the people of Earth think when he returned with a host of super-powered individuals? He wondered, had they discovered it was he who ordered the hit on Clark Kent? Probably so, no doubt Jor-El would tell his son and Lois everything he knew. They in turn would carefully craft a story in the Daily Planet decrying Lex Luthor’s activities.

Surprisingly he was not bitter about the First Lord’s actions; it was what any leader would do for his people. Protect them from all possible threats, no matter how great or inconsequential.

It was what any father would do to protect his son. No matter that he had not laid eyes on that son in nearly thirty years.

Another question came to mind: who was running LexCorp? Carstairs? No, he was a numbers man, great for accounting, but terrible when it came to working with people. Huntington? Never, a born organizer, but she lacked charisma. Gianni? A good choice, sadly he was nearing retirement and wanted to start living the good life before his golf swing gave out. Sheldon Bender might endeavor to swing the board in his favor, but he rather doubted it. Bender’s strength was manipulation behind the scenes; the obsequious lawyer had no stomach for the constant face to face confrontations life as CEO provided.

Even if his underworld activities were discovered he still had several off-shore bank accounts that only he knew were in existence. There was the spacious home in the Australian outback perfectly suited for his needs. All he had to do was return to Earth and survive any treachery Dru-Zod planned to bring into play.

A grimace marred his features when he thought about the arrogant warder. He would use him until he managed to get back to Earth, then there would be a surprise waiting for him and all of his followers. The real trick was surviving until he reached Earth. Once there Zod might not have any use for him and ‘dispose’ of his services. That was something Lex Luthor would have done, but Lex-Er? No, that was something he could not do.

Being among these people who trusted and cared for him without the fabulous trappings of wealth had planted seeds of change into his heart. Seeds which had taken root and showed promise. Just as this harvest encouraged the colonists. Could he return to Earth and be cold hearted Lex Luthor again?

Before he could mentally answer that question, one of the gray guards, all gleaming metal and sullen arrogance incidental to youth came and said. “Lex-Er, Warder Zod wishes for you to return to your quarters.”

Vax-Om, seeing the exchange came over and spoke. “It is early yet, surely Lex-Er can remain for a few hours more? Please friend, sit down and have a glass of ginger wine.”

The guard, who did not expect any resistance, especially when extended so congenially, was at a loss for words. But stubborn resolve hardened his features and he said, “Zod wants ‘the prisoner’ to return to his quarters.” That statement was to remind both that no matter where or whom Lex worked for, he was there at the good graces of the First Lord, Jor-El, whom Dru-Zod must answer to.

Lex sighed and stood, he was choking back the twin prods of anger and irritation. The chief warder was once again displaying his mastery over Lex as if he were a flesh and blood marionette for the soldier’s amusement. But he could only be so angry, once, not so long ago he would have behaved the same. Time to put his duties on the collective aside and become a prisoner again.

He stood, bowed slightly to his friend and said his voice colored with reluctance, “Thank you, Vax-Om. But my guard is correct. I must return to my … cell.” Not wishing to throw any suspicions towards Zod because of this change in routine he added. “I will see you tomorrow. Please thank Eyner for the superb meal.”

Vax-Om nodded and said “Good, there is something of importance I wish to discuss with you tomorrow. It will be very much to your liking.”
A smile, a genuine one sprang to Lex’s lips. “I look forward to it.”

Vax-Om watched as the black clad human, departed with his guard. Lex had neglected to return the tablet to its owner.

METROPOLIS: THE DAILY PLANET

Lois ran her fingers over the dark fabric of the expertly tailored suit, admiring its feel. “This tuxedo is simply yummy! I’m glad we picked it up from JOHAN’S.” She looked at the price tag, shuddered at the amount and quickly replaced the suit back in its black garment bag made of a durable water-proof fabric, not the cheap plastic that off-the-rack suits are covered in. “I’m also glad Bernie is paying for it and not you.”

Perry walked by Clark’s desk, stopped, turned and looked at the monogrammed garment bag. “How?” The editor asked

Clark, seeing the look on his boss’ face, decided it was time to clear up any misconceptions. No reason for anyone to think he and Lois had not just fallen into a pot of gold. “It’s a gift from Bernie Klein, for his wedding in Paris.”

“Boy, being one of the slide rule guys hasn’t hurt him any!” Perry said with wry amusement and then moved off.

“Do you think maybe Bernie could spend a few bucks on me? After all, Lucy and I are going to get married someday. I could use a sharp new tuxedo for the occasion.” Jimmy said sheepishly.

Cat Grant said as she passed Lois’ desk, “You aren’t the Best man Jim.”

He responded weakly to her retreating back, “What about the best friend of the Best man?”

Lois rounded on him and asked with more than a hint of Mad Dog Lane, “What’s this about my sister?”

He was about to answer when the phone on her desk rang. Before picking it up she said, “Don’t go anywhere Olsen, this discussion is not over.” She picked up the receiver and in a crisp professional voice said, “City Desk, Lois Lane speaking.”

While Lois talked, her husband looked at Jimmy and shook his head in amusement, “Don’t try to hide, she’ll find you eventually and it’ll only be much worse.”

Suddenly Clark’s phone rang and he picked it up. He spoke very briefly with the person on the other line then hung up. Before Jimmy could leave, Lois put down the receiver, a look of triumph spread across her face. “That was Tara Zaynold, Aykira Milan’s assistant. She will see us tonight at 7:00pm to discuss future steps LexCorp will be taking for the coming fiscal year.”

“Looks like we better crack open that file of questions we wanted to ask her along with the back-up materials. How much time is she giving us?” Clark asked.

Lois’ brow wrinkled, “Only forty-five minutes, apparently we are being squeezed in, between appointments.”

“Forty-five minutes? That’s not a lot of time; doesn’t she want this to be more than a puff piece?” Clark asked.

“An interview sandwiched between business appointments? Hey, when does Ms. Milan ever sleep?” Jimmy said.

“She doesn’t, not if she wants to keep the resuscitation of LexCorp on track.”

Leaning back in his chair, Jimmy folded his arms and said, “Lois, she might be winning the fight in some quarters, but most of my friends who invest their money still don’t trust LexCorp. If she really wants to make a splash the name has to be changed, so that people – especially the little guy – will start to forget.” Jimmy responded.

“Oh are those the words of wisdom from your long years of playing the stock market?” Lois answered with a smirk.

Jimmy shrugged and responded, “Just saying… ”

Lois was about to respond when Clark interjected, holding up a file.

“Hey partner, let’s take our materials into the conference room. We have a lot to go over before tonight.” Together they gathered up what they needed and entered the conference room.

Before Clark opened the door, Lois turned back and said, “Don’t think I forgot that comment you made about marrying Lucy!”

The photographer had learned a thing or two since his early days working with Lois. “Sure, I’m ready to talk when you are!”

Lois gave him quizzical look, his calmness had certainly thrown her off, than followed Clark into the conference room.

As soon as the heavy wood and glass door closed behind her she asked, “Did you want to zip through this material? With our abilities it will only take us seconds to memorize it all.”

“Sure, but first, that was Bernie who called. Abrihet has fashioned special rings for us to wear …”

“Created from Metal X?” Lois said excitedly, finishing his sentence.

“Exactly. They are rings with a matching contour design with a ruby in the center we can wear them only as Superman and Ultra Woman.”

Lois nodded, “Makes sense. The media has linked us together as husband and wife ever since Ultra Woman’s return. Matching rings will put an end to the speculation. Why a ruby?”

“According to her it is to symbolize Krypton’s red sun.” He said.

“I can imagine those rings might make a hit on New Krypton. Trey is always trying to remind anyone who will listen that you are married to an Earthwoman and thus not allowed to inherit the title of First Lord. Whenever does that woman have the time to do all these things? It’s almost as if she has the super powers!” Lois mused.

Her husband chuckled, “Abrihet has accomplished a tremendous amount of work since coming to Metropolis. Putting together a wedding in six weeks – especially when that wedding takes place in a foreign country is pretty impressive.”

“Take it from me buster, when a bride needs to get her wedding done, she doesn’t run from the job, she gets determined.” Lois said.

“Yeah well she created these rings, on top of everything else she has to do. Like her plans to move Bernie’s things into the new townhouse and decorate to work with both their tastes. I had no idea she was so talented.”

Lois smirked. “A Jack-of-all-trades, just like her fiancé. We should probably get our new jewelry at lunchtime.”

“Not ‘we’, me.” Clark said with a smile, “It’ll give me a chance to pick up some treats from our favorite Parisian bakery.”

“Sounds yummy! Oh, when you go to Chez Morel, tell Amandine, hello for me.” Lois brown doe like eyes glittered with delight.

With that the two reporters settled down to go over their respective questions for the Milan interview.

NEW KRYPTON: LEX-ER’S QUARTERS

“Ah! Lex-Er! You have arrived! It is time for us to put our plan in motion. We are leaving for Jor-El’s laboratory now.”

Dusk was beginning to fall; Lex was expecting they could accomplish the deed under cover of full darkness. “Now? But won’t someone see us?”

The young guard, whose name was Rolf and had brought Lex from the Om Collective said, “This is the perfect time. The entire royal family will be attending a feast in honor of the harvest yield.”

Dru-Zod said derisively, “The technicians and field workers are like children, any excuse for a social gathering and they are content. Most of the scientists and nobles shall attend as well. Only our man will be at the Transfer beam. Come, it is time we were on our way.”

Lex said, “Could I at least change? This particular suit is dusty; if anyone sees me it will be hard to explain my presence and being dirty at the Conservatory.”

Annoyed at the delay, but appreciating that Lex was correct, the warder barked, “Yes, that’s a very good idea Lex-Er. In fact, wear the original articulated suit. Considering the fact that going from Krypton to Earth gravity might be a strain. But be quick about it! My plans cannot be destroyed because of a little dirt and sweat!”

Minutes later Lex returned from his bedroom, wearing the black articulated suit. Quickly the three men exited the building and Lex realized he had mixed emotions about leaving the lush quarters. Rolf, at Zod’s command, handcuffed Lex and brought him outside. The last of the red sun’s ray were dipping under the horizon and he shivered ever so slightly. In the short time he had been inside the heat had dropped a good ten degrees. Rapid fluctuations in New Krypton’s temperatures were one of the few things he had never adjusted to.

A large black hovercraft silently came up to them; the vehicle’s darkly tinted privacy windows reminded Lex of his own fleet of limousines. Two more men, all powerful and muscular, joined them; they bundled inside the machine and moved off.

NEW KRYPTON: THE FIRST LORD’S LABORATORY

Lex watched through the windows and noticed as the quiet forest of his home gave way to city streets which were practically empty; apparently most of the capital city’s populace was enjoying the festival. The appearance of the neighborhoods became more affluent, the homes grander, some made his home on Santorini look like a tumble down shack. The car entered a long well lighted driveway which led to a grand park filled with tall trees, verdant shrubbery and what looked like flowers.

This was the ten mile wide woodland that separated the capital city of Nyanglagore from the Royal family. Eventually they came to a series of modern angular buildings, the hovercraft slowed and stopped in front of the main building, an imposing five story structure built of light blue metal and glass. The structure was awash with what could only be security lights giving it an ethereal sheen. But Lex looked over the outside walkways and there appeared to be no guards on patrol.

In a voice that held a stingy trace of admiration, Dru-Zod said, “Jor-El’s laboratory is certainly not as well set-up as the one he had on Krypton. That one was truly magnificent! It was built into the side of a mountain of black volcanic rock.” In a lower voice he said, “I miss so many things about our native homeworld. Rolf, remove the handcuffs, we wouldn’t want Lex-Er to return home in chains.”

Moments later they entered a dark room with a slate floor, here the security lights were replaced by stark moonlight that shone throughout that gave the room a patina Lex would have never seen on Earth. On one side there were several machines and in front of them sat a rather tall man with sandy brown hair. By the stiffness of his posture, Lex knew he was ill at ease, but to his credit, the man tried to hide it. He stood, walked over to a wall and threw a light switch, illuminating the room in a soft, almost comforting light.

“Captain Zod. According to the plan I …I thought you were coming later?”

Dru-Zod went over to the man and placed his hand heavily on the other’s shoulder. “That’s the beauty of plans, Quist, they change.
Now just as we discussed, send us to Earth before Jor-El returns.”

“There are currently two settings for that planet …” Quist began
Dru-Zod waved one hand languidly, bored with any technical information the man had to provide ‘Yes, yes. Send us to the location closest to Kal-El’s in Metropolis.”

“After this, my family will no longer have to fear being harassed by your men?”

Patiently, the warder answered, “Yes! Yes! Now can we get to it?”
The technician immediately sat down and set to work. Within moments an aperture of cool, blue light appeared in midair. Lex stepped back, he knew only too well what this particular light meant, having seen it on the night his life changed forever. Before anyone noticed what he was doing, Lex touched a stud on the collar of his armor.

Quist turned to them and said. “The aperture is ready to be used. But I suggest only one at a time. There is a danger of collapse if too many people step through at once.”

“Excellent! Rolf, please help Lex Luthor to return home.” Zod said.

Rolf was strong, and for all of the sheer physical strength Lex has developed over the past year, he is no match for the younger man. Thus with the same lack of ceremony he experienced with Jor-El, Lex was thrown into the aperture, its blue light engulfing him like a ravenous monster.

METROPOLIS: LEXCORP

Aykira stood up signaling the interview was finished, coming around from her desk, she shook first Clark’s hand and then Lois. “Thank you both for coming in at such an odd hour. Has this interview provided enough material to write a proper article for the Daily Planet’s business section?”

“There are a lot of surprises coming from LexCorp – uh I mean MetroCorp.” Lois said.

Smiling coyly Aykira said, “Ah well, that’s not the official name just yet. The Board has to approve it. But as your last question pointed out; the average consumer thinks of us as a crime syndicate, not a legitimate company. Changing the company’s name and logo, will be another step away from that.”

Clark said, “This article will be in the Business section on Monday. It should go a long way towards proving to everyone what kind of a company this is now.”

“I look forward to reading it, thank you both. I hate to rush, but my fencing lesson is in an hour and my instructor demands punctually from his students. Good night.” The CEO said pleasantly as they approached the door. Once it had shut behind the reporting duo, Aykira leaned against it and sighed. With this chore complete, she could finally relax and enjoy the remains of her evening with a fencing lesson.

Minutes later she emerged from her dressing alcove wearing the white garb for fencing. She adjusted the plastron on her weapon arm, made sure the jacket was on straight and the breastplate was properly positioned. Finally she made a careful inspection of the mask; to be sure there were no nicks, dents or tears. Once satisfied her clothing was in order, she opened the sword case and examined the two gleaming swords within.

Memories of fencing tournaments past came to mind. She missed those days and looked forward to taking part in them again once the demands of MetroCorp settled down.

At that moment she lifted her head up, the very room had suddenly shifted as if the electrical power of lightening filled the air. The sensation was so overwhelming, breathing seemed impossible. In front of the fireplace the air shimmered and for lack of a better word …opened.

The sword slipped from Aykira’s nerveless fingers in shock as a point of blue light abruptly appeared in the middle of her office, it rapidly expanded and then wonders of wonders a man in black armor fell through and landed heavily on the floor, leaving deep scratches in the highly polished Brazilian hardwood.

Lifting his head up the man drew in a deep breath, casually looked around the room, and then at her. Aykira’s hazel eyes opened wide in shocked recognition. The last time they were in this room he was wearing a precision cut, gray double-breasted Saville Row suit, his person expertly groomed. A Wall Street master skillfully practicing his craft. Now she watched as he picked himself gracefully up from the floor, running agile fingers through his longish salt and pepper hair. He had always taken care of himself, but where ever he had been for the past year she could see that his time away had apparently been put to good use. Despite his body armor, it was obvious his body was more agile and stronger than she remembered.

His lips, which at one time she thought of as sensuous, moved slowly into a glorious, triumphant smile - a joyful smile, very different from what she remembered, because the joy reached his eyes without a hint of artifice. This was a man who was thrilled to be home. “Not my taste, Ms. Milan, but I like what you have done with the place.”

Her voice sounded uncertain and a little frightened to her ears.

“Lex?”

Suddenly as if remembering where he was, the carefree expression vanished. His eyes scanned the office, searching for something. “No time for questions! Where is the bust of Shakespeare?”

Dumbfounded, Aykira pointed to the heavy bronze image of the great writer that stood beside the sword of Alexander the Great.

He began to stride towards the bust and said, “Excellent. I must open the back and take out a little present for my ‘friends’. Then you contact Superman!

Aykira, having quickly gained her composure and remembering the long standing feud between the two men answered, “Why? Do you want to cause him harm?”

“I don’t want to kill him. We need him and Ultra Woman in order to save our world.”

“What are you talking about? Lex, you have been gone for a year; no one has heard anything from you! Now you are telling me to get in contact with Superman and his wife? Everything is happening so fast.
Give me a moment to catch up!”

Frustrated with her insipid prattle, he growled, “There are other super beings coming from his world and they will destroy us.”

Before Aykira could speak, another aperture of blue light appeared in the middle of her office, four men wearing gray armor almost as outlandish as Lex’s stepped out. As soon as their feet hit the floor, a noise, like the shattering of a thousand crystals slammed against her ears. Then abruptly the aperture instead of closing down as it had previously, splintered and hundreds of shards of blue light scattered throughout the room. As suddenly as the weird display, began the light vanished.

“Oh my Lord,” she whispered, “what just happened?”

A tall man with saturnine features, encased in grey armor separated himself from the group and approached her; there was something about his person which radiated malevolence. Aykira backed up, her heart pounding in fear. Whoever he was, this man meant her no good will.

“Quist, that fool, sent us to your former residence and not Kal-El’s home! I hope that bomb tore him to a million fragments!”

“The transport beam has been destroyed? But … but how will you return to New Krypton?” Lex asked. This particularly cruel turn of events was completely unexpected.

A smile played out on the warder’s face, the sleekness of it made Lex’s stomach twist and squeeze in revulsion when he saw it and knew matters had indeed worsened.

“A change of plans Lex-Er or should I say Lex Luthor? Since we are back on your homeworld? Instead of enslaving the populace of this world to take over New Krypton, I have decided it is better to remain here. After all, what can any of your kind do to us once Superman and his mate have been disposed of?” Dru-Zod gestured to his followers.

“Here I shall be the First Lord!”

Aykira spoke. “First Lord? Lex, who are these men?”

As if noticing her presence for the first time, Dru-Zod said, “Why is this woman here? We have matters of importance to discuss.”
Lex swallowed, he knew perfectly well what this mad man was capable of. “She is nothing … a minion who served me before I was sent to New Krypton.”

Rubbing his beard he said, “She must mean something to you Lex-Er. Otherwise, why would she be in here? After all you have been gone for over a year.”

How could he explain to this man that she was an employes. Suddenly it hit him and despite the danger of their situation, the question rolled off his tongue before he could stop it. “Why are you here Ms. Milan?”

Aykira looked at him, marveling at the inquiry. “The board voted me to the position of CEO, I now run LexCorp.”

“You run my company?” Lex said, in not a little shock.

Before Aykira could reply, Dru-Zod laughed. “A woman! This world is truly backward to let a woman command such holdings! No matter, that is one of the things to be fixed.”

Rolf and the others laughed as well, the sound of their voices mockingly derisive.

Zod walked around Aykira, appraising her. “Still, she is a beautiful minion.” He picked up the sword she had dropped on the desk and examined it carefully. “A female who is in a position of authority is unusual, but to find one that apparently knows how to use a sword … how refreshingly different.” He spun around and faced Lex. “To me loyalty is important, sometimes it is the thing that holds all else in the balance.” Handing the sword to Lex, he said with the quiet of an assassin about to slide a sword from the scabbard, “Prove yours to me. Since this woman means nothing to you and she stands in the way of regaining control of your empire, fight her to the death.”

Aykira opened her hazel eyes wide in horror. “Lex. He … he can’t be serious?”

Lex’s eyes flashed with anger, but quickly he hid the emotion and spoke, his words heavy with regret. “Sadly my dear, I am afraid he is.” Without another word he picked up the fencing sword from the open case and tossed the other one to her which she caught with practiced ease. She walked around the desk and faced him, he bowed gracefully and not surprisingly, she did the same.

“On guard!” Lex shouted and with a clash of steel the swordplay began.

Last edited by Morgana; 04/13/15 07:01 AM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.