Chapter Two

METROPOLIS: THE DAILY PLANET

The squeal of happiness that escaped Lois’s lips actually hurt Clark’s sensitive ears. Usually he was able to tune such noises out, but when they emanated from his wife it was impossible. Members of the Daily Planet’s bullpen also turned to watch as Mad Dog Lane morphed into a giggly teen-ager and wiggled in her seat with glee. Even when The Hottest Team in Town was nominated for a Kerth award for best investigative series she had not been so animated.

“He got down on one knee and proposed on a bridge? Not too far from the Louvre? Oooh, how romantic!” Another squeal filled the air.

Jimmy looked up from his desk and groaned quietly. Lois Lane-Kent was bound to tell Lucy and then it would put more pressure on him to make his wedding proposal unique. For crying out loud, how was he supposed to compete with a proposal in Paris? Oh well, there was still six more payments to make on the ring. He had plenty of time.

But just in case he couldn’t come up with anything wildly different, he reached for the phone and dialed for Brio Tuscany, one of the most exclusive Italian restaurants in Metropolis, to put in for a dinner reservation in seven weeks.

Lois, unaware of Jimmy’s situation continued talking. “Wait … you’re getting married in six weeks? Is that enough time?” A pause while Abrihet responded, then Lois answered much slower this time. “A Nigerian seamstress named Jarawu is making your dress? What’s her address? Wait a second ...” Lois dug into her briefcase, pulled out a notebook, yanked a sharp No. 2 pencil out of the drawer and began scribbling frantically. “Yes, got it!” Another brief pause for response. “Oh, can I supply names of Real Estate agents who specialize in townhouses? Ok - ay, if that’s what you and Bernie want than Clark and I will pitch in on this end.” The conversation continued for a little while longer than the two friends said good-bye and Lois hung up.

Swiveling around to look at her partner, Lois said, “Clark honey, you heard? This is so fantastic, a wedding in Paris!”

“Yeah, he did and so did the rest of the bullpen!” Diane’s voice floated up from her cubicle.

“So the Egghead is finally going to marry her? It’s about time!” Cat joined in.

Lois laughed, happily ignoring her co-workers comments and walked over to her husband’s desk, sat down in the visitor’s chair and then launched breathlessly into full babble mode. “The wedding date is set for Saturday, October 25th. They want us to be there at least two days in advance to help them with preparations. Abrihet says they are flying here next week … something about finding a bigger place to live. So maybe we can give them your realtor. The wedding is going to be in the evening. They want it to be small, but elegant. I’ve got a million things to do! But first I have to call Darcy’s and tell them to hold that Lavender sheath dress, matching sandals and bejeweled clutch. Absolutely perfect for an October wedding in Paris … ”

The shrill ring of Clark’s phone halted Lois’ rapid fire babble. He picked it up and said, “Hello?”

Dr. Klein’s hurried voice came over the line. “Good! I caught you. Clark, may I make a request?”

Clark realized that the Klein/Senai nuptials were in full swing. Chuckling softly, he said, “Sure, what do you need for the wedding?”

“Nothing really. Her younger sister Kuma will be the Maid of Honor. But it’s … that ah, would … could you stand up with me when Abrihet and I exchange vows?”

Deeply touched that the shy scientist considered him such a friend, Clark said, “Bernie, it would be an honor.”

“Th …thank you. It is just that I am closest to you, Lois and your family. It makes sense, like a perfect equation.” Clark heard Abrihet voice in the background, than Bernie came back on the line.

“Uh, sorry, I need to get going, thanks again. We’ll see both of you in a week. Oh, by the way, congratulations on winning the Kerth for best investigative series. Au revoir!” The line went dead.

Before Clark could tell Lois what happened, the familiar rumbling southern accent of Perry White reached their ears. “Lois. Clark.”

“Yes Chief?” They said together.

The big man ambled over to their desks and said, “Didn’t I tell you two before that the Daily Planet is a newspaper, not a match making service for your relatives and friends?”

“Aw come on Chief, Bernie and Abrihet are engaged! Isn’t that great news?” Lois said with a chuckle.

A dry voice cut through the conversation, it was Eduardo, coming down the ramp, back from another one of his globetrotting adventures. “Did I hear right? Dr. Klein is engaged? That is great news, especially since S.T.A.R. Labs has provided so many answers for the Daily Planet when it comes to science questions.”

“Hey Chief, a little free publicity would be a great way to pay S.T.A.R. Labs back for all the good they have done for us!” Jimmy chimed in.

“A picture of the wedding gown might go nicely in my column.” Cat said

“Oooh Lois! Can you let me see pictures of the gown? Ms. Senai has great taste in clothes!” Stacy said.

From the base of the red stairs, Janet Owens added her two cents to the conversation. “Yeah, we should put a little mention of it in the Science section this Tuesday. After all, Bernie is an award winning scientist and his bride-to-be is a leading voice in her field. What do you say Perry?”

Throwing his hands up in defeat against the onslaught of the bullpen Perry said. “Yeah, it’s great news for them, but unlike Priscilla and Elvis’ engagement, that doesn’t make headlines for us.” He turned to Lois and Clark. “Don’t think that new Kerth award makes a difference. Elvis and the colonel didn’t rest on their laurels, neither should you two. Got anything for today?”

They had stories for that day and the next; however they both knew what Perry was fishing for; serious front page articles.

“Ah, nothing that would produce a big headline Chief, but Lois and I were thinking about pursuing a follow-up to the Boss of Metropolis series.”

Lois jumped in. “Right! We wanted to interview the CEO, Aykira Milan, see how the progress on re-building LexCorp’s reputation is doing. A lot of people were hurt by Luthor’s machinations, both within and outside of the company.”

“With all this talk of engagements, wedding announcements in the science section and flights to Paris, when were you two planning on getting the Milan interview?” Perry asked.

“As soon as possible.” Clark said, knowing how much the Chief hated to drag information out of his reporters.

Perry nodded and replied drily, “Well, it’ll be good for the Daily Planet’s business section, but not a big beautiful headline in 38 type font. Get on it, but first bring me a story I can sink my teeth into!”

“Yes Chief!” They responded together.

Perry gave them a double take, shook his head and then walked away muttering. “Is this a great metropolitan newspaper or Metropolis Bride?”

“Poor Perry, he’s been looking at us both strangely since I got my powers.” Lois spoke so softly only Clark could hear.

“We’re bond mates and as the saying goes …”

“Great minds think alike!” Lois finished his sentence.

They broke into a fit of the giggles as some of the bullpen looked on and then decided to chalk their behavior up to them being ‘old married folks’, despite being married for less than two years.

Once Perry had gone back into his office, they tried to discuss their separate conversations with Abrihet and Bernie when they both heard the sound of a helicopter’s engine begin to sputter over Hob’s Bay. The pilot’s frantic radio mayday calls hammering in their ears.

Quickly as possible, Clark pulled open the top desk drawer and grabbed a tape recorder and Lois reached for her briefcase and then threw it over her shoulder. Together they raced towards the staircase. No one in the bullpen paid them the slightest attention, after all, this was Lane and Kent; they probably forgot to meet a hot source.

“I’ll handle this! Cover for me with Perry.” Clark whispered as he tugged at his tie.

Amazingly Lois could keep up with him, despite wearing killer red heels. “No way Farmboy! It’s *my* turn to be the hero!” She hissed back.

“This is no time to argue! Somebody’s got to stop that ‘copter!” Clark said.

“I knew you would see it my way!” Lois kissed him on the nose, took the stairs two at a time and then opened the door leading to the roof. Seconds later the familiar sound of Ultra Woman’s sonic boom was heard.

Jimmy looked up from working on his camera and shook his head, the faintest smile played across his lips. Lucy was the love of his life, but Ultra Woman was in a class by herself. Besides, she said he was cute!

Clark went back to his desk wearing a bemused expression, that was Lois, his little tornado! Of course, now that she was super, he did not worry about her nearly as much as in the past.

Lois raced to the roof, threw open the heavy, old metal door and leapt into the air. The pilot’s voice grew frantic as he continued to talk with the control tower at Larkin Airport. She increased her speed just in time to hear the cargo helicopter’s engines shut off and what was normally a heavier than air craft that actually flew had now turned into a brick hurtling down into Hob’s Bay. Swiftly she got underneath the machine and with delicate balance of strength and agility caught it in mid-air.

Sighs of relief and happy cheers reached her ears as she flew the helicopter and its human cargo towards the airport. It was such a rush to help people in distress, to know that the crew would be going home to their families tonight in the same condition as they departed that morning. Suddenly, a prickly sensation fluttered over her body. It lasted for but a moment and then the numbness faded away. It happen so quickly she thought it was a result of catching the aircraft. After all it had only a few months since she received these powers and they were still strange and new to her.

Once the vehicle was safely landed on the tarmac and she had ascertained that the crew had not sustained any injuries, Ultra Woman flew off.

Now that the crisis was over, the crisp, mid-morning autumn air cut across her body and cleared away any lingering numbness. Like a mischievous child Lois indulged in doing a few loop de loops. How she thrilled at the power of flight! Once, before they started dating, she and Clark chatted on the terrace of his old apartment. They had mused about which of the two powers were better. Being invisible or to fly.

Clark naturally chose flight. At the time it seemed like he made that decision because of hero worship for Superman. She thought being invisible was preferable, secretly entering all the doors that heretofore had been barred from her entering. That was before she discovered flying with Superman and then the ability to do it on her own. Of course flying was so much better.

As she drew closer to the Daily Planet building, an outline of the nearly doomed cargo helicopter account formed in her mind. Perry would have an exclusive headline for the evening edition, in 38 point type font of course!

She also needed to talk with her husband and find out if numbness was ‘normal’ after catching something moving so rapidly in the air. After all, he was the undisputed expert in that arena! There had to be a reasonable explanation for her body’s reaction to the feat. When Bernie arrived from Paris it would be time for Ultra Woman to pay her ‘physician’ a visit. But by the time Lois arrived in the bullpen and she started to write about Ultra Woman’s helicopter adventure, all thoughts of the strange sensation fled her memory

METROPOLIS: S.T.A.R. LABS.

A week later Abrihet and Bernie were in his large personal work area at S.T.A.R. Labs. It was five o’clock am in Metropolis, but their bodies were still on Paris time. Since they were morning people, it was a simple matter of coming to work early to take care of a few tasks before they began house hunting. Bernie put on his light blue lab coat and handed a smaller one to Abrihet which she took gratefully. This was the first step towards them working together as a team in the laboratory.

“It is good Mike Lane opens Cafe Americana early; otherwise petit déjeuner would have been a stale granola bar from one of the snack dispensers.” Abrihet said as she sipped her coffee, flavored with dash of cinnamon. “Bernard, se il vous plaît, take a bite of this bagel, the salmon and cream cheese is delightful!”

He exited a large vault that held some of his more important and secretive experiments carrying a bulky black metal container. The most significant being a large chunk of Kryptonite and the strange metal that had been recently brought to him from a cavern in upstate New Troy.

Bernard accepted the piece of bagel from her hand and took a bite; he made a happy sound of appreciation while his fiancé stared at the container and with a puzzled expression on her face said. “The contents of this boîte (box) are why you were excited about arriving early?”

Swallowing, he said, “Yes, the board of directors wants me to give this metal a thorough examination. It’s not a priority, but apparently, it is very rare.”

“Rarer than Kryptonite?” She asked cocking an eyebrow that insatiable curiosity for all things metallic piqued.

Bernie was so mesmerized by this mystery he simply mumbled, “Yes ... um maybe.” After slipping on a pair of heavy black rubber gloves, he removed a sizable chunk of coiled reddish-gray metal from the container and set it on the plastic white topped examination table in front of her. “I thought with your understanding of rare metals you might have some insight on this …whatever it is.”

She studied the twisted lump, the expression on her face thoughtful and said, “Have you contacted Dr. Irons? My specialty is metallurgy and sword making techniques from the Middle Ages. Exotic rare metals such as this would be more in his field of expertise than my own.”

“John is working on a project with EPRAD; otherwise he would be the board’s first choice.”

“Ah well, studying this metal shall give us a chance to work together.” She stole a look at her watch. “This will take some time. When do we meet Lois and Clark for déjeuner?”

“Lunch? Around one o’clock. Nonetheless we have to remember they are reporters and could be working on the lead for a big story and might be a little late.” He shrugged his shoulders. “It happens sometimes.

If they cannot make it, we can grab a salad and then I’ll drop you off at the hotel. By then our jetlag will certainly have kicked in.”

“Oui. This is a good plan and might work in our favor. Now, where is the metallograph?” Abrihet said looking around the room.

The morning hours flew by. Before their return to Metropolis, a technician had been given a piece of the metal for preparation; it was ground flat and polished to a mirror finish. Abrihet etched on it to reveal the microstructure and macrostructure of the metal. Once that was complete, the sample was examined in an electron microscope, and the image contrast provided details on the composition. As she studied the sample, she noted there were several aspects of the metal she had never seen before.

Bernie looked over the sample a far-off look shaded his face. “There is something disturbingly familiar about the structure of this metal. We need to run a crystallography to be sure.” Bernie said.

“What do you suspect?” Abrihet asked.

He muttered more to himself than answering her, “Science is not a guessing game. No need to run to the wrong conclusions.”

She nodded, most people might have taken offense to his remark, but she knew this wasn’t being patronizing. Whatever his suspicions were they would remain hidden until he was fully ready to reveal them.

“Crystallography test it shall be.” She said.

Crystallography allows discovery of unknown materials and reveals the crystal structure of the sample. Quantitative crystallography can be used to calculate the amount of phases present as well as the degree of strain to which a sample has been subjected.

“The results should give us some kind of idea as to what kind of metal this is.” Bernie again mumbled, he was now submerged into full research mode.

Bernie went inside the vault again and removed a heavy lead box. He set it on the examination table and opened the lid. The familiar sickly green glow emanated from the metal container. Swiftly he ran the green Kryptonite through the same battery of tests.

“The crystal properties are similar to Kryptonite. It must have come from Superman’s home world of Krypton.” Bernie said
Abrihet looked up from her own figures and sighed, “But how did a piece of metal reach New Troy and not Kansas? Wasn’t there a theory that a quantity of Kryptonite followed Clark’s spaceship to Earth?”

“Yes, but let’s remember that there has never been a full-blown excavation of Smallville and its surroundings. Which leads us to the question; where did this metal come this? If that theory is correct, everything that followed Cl …uh Superman’s tiny spaceship should be bathed in green Kryptonite radiation.” Bernie said, scrutinizing the prepared sheet of metal. “This metal is inert … does not glow and has no radiation our instruments can detect, while green Kryptonite is active and deadly to our friends. Therefore an infinitely tiny molecular shift between these two metals causes a difference. What could it be?” Bernie’s mind slipped into deep thought when he heard a sharp gasp escape Abrihet’s throat.

“Bernard … the green Kryptonite is changing!”

Like a piece of coal that slipped away from its warmer fellows and having lost its source of heat and light eventually grows cold and dark, the small knob of Kryptonite’s signature sickly green glow faded into a hard lump of ashy blackness.

The laboratory went silent as the two scientists stared at the phenomenon.

“Mon Dieu! How could such a thing happen? One moment the Kryptonite was glowing, the next it is inert!” Abrihet exclaimed in alarm while staring at the once radiant rock.

Bernie rubbed his chin and said, “Yes, almost as if someone shut off the lights or covered the rock over with a sheet of lead.”

“It is as if this Metal X formed an invisible barrier over the Kryptonite, one that is more comprehensive than lead?” To act on her suggestion, Abrihet hastily placed the dead lump into the box and then put it back in the vault. She waited for a few moments and then noticed that once the influence of Metal X was removed, the Kryptonite flickered and that became engulfed with its normal green glow.

“I think this is the solution to Ultra Woman and Superman’s biggest problem!” Abrihet said, her eyes twinkling with excitement.

“True. But it is imperative we run more essais.” He was studying the deadly crystal, as if looking at it alone would help reveal its secrets.

His fiancée walked over to the phone and began dialing. “No, we need to cancel lunch with the Kents and our rendezvous with the realtor. This process of discovery shall take uninterrupted time. It is illogical to rush; we can find a townhouse anytime after our wedding. Understanding the properties of Metal X must take first priority for our friends’ sake.”

Abrihet stopped talking when Lois came on the line, explaining they were tied up in the lab. Bernie smiled his approval. Here was the perfect woman for him, who else would appreciate the importance of the labors ahead? Quickly he moved to his leather planner and flipped it open. He found the number for Café Americana and called for a lunch order of salmon with lemon and capers for two to be delivered around 12:00pm. Something told him they would be pulling a rather long day, jetlag be hanged.

Before this last trip to Paris he had looked at purchasing a new living room set in the elegant, yet comfort style Abrihet preferred. He did buy a number of items for their use before and after their marriage; such as an espresso machine, a new set of pots and pans and since her last visit a make-over of the bathroom. Over the past year they had been dropping off items in each other’s homes, adding little touches of their personality to the spaces.

Since their plans to purchase a bigger home were put on temporary hold. It was time to ‘methamorph’ his bachelor apartment into the home of a married couple.

Six weeks. Only more six weeks to wait. After all the years of singleness, he was greatly looking forward to being married.

NEW KRYPTON: OM AGRICULTURAL STATION

“Many thanks for your assistance Lex-Er.” Vax-Om, a compactly built man with a ready smile and easy manner, waved to the black clad figure that stepped off the Kryptonian version of a harvester. He had completed a two hour task, removing crops from the fields. The rays of a blazing red sun beat down upon him as fat rivulets of sweat trickled down over skin and newly formed hard muscles. Besides harvesting, he had taken part in various manual tasks; such as weeding, feeding the animals and plucking eggs from a creature that looked suspiciously like a chicken. Wearing his special armor had made these chores painfully difficult at first, but gradually his body had adjusted.

Performing such menial tasks in the past were beneath his dignity, but now he welcomed the daily challenges of farm life. Actually this was not a farm, but more like an agricultural station; experiments were conducted on various seeds to discover which one survived best in its adopted soil.

The farm was several thousand acres in size and required the combined efforts of over one hundred people to run it efficiently. To Lex’s mind it was in some aspects like fiefdoms of the dark ages, yet superior in many ways. He could foresee a time when the overseers of these stations would someday soon hold an significant place in New Kryptonian society. It only required the right man to introduce a few changes and his overseer; Vax-Om might be the man. Only time would tell.

It was a certainty Vax-Om was keenly aware Lex was someone the council wanted to keep an eye on and that doing so in a competent manner could only improve his reputation in their eyes. From the beginning Lex was treated as an equal, despite his outré appearance. He entrusted him to work among not just the field hands, but their young children as well. To find such trust in an alien made him ashamed of his previous attitude towards Prince Kal-El. Yes, he now thought of Superman not by his Earth name, but that of his Kryptonian heritage.

This alteration of psyche and heart was a far cry from his days of stock manipulation, intimidation of subordinates and empire building. Living among people of goodwill had brought this about. Not simply because it was preferable to the mind numbing boredom of his cell – no matter how beautifully appointed.

The strange name of Lex-Er given to him by the inhabitants of the farm was a shortening of his official title: Lex Luthor, former Earth dweller. Originally, the name felt more like a brand of servitude; anyone who called him that he ignored. But like the suit, he grew accustomed to the Kryptonian name and accepted it as a part of his new life.

Kryptonian. For years the word held no meaning for him, it was simply another aspect of his super-powered nemesis’ life. But now everything was different. This place and these people were starting to become his home.

At first the field hands – who were so much more than that – avoided him. It was not within their purview to concern themselves with an alien in a bulky, black articulated atmosphere suit. They were scientists working to reshape the soil of this world to grow food. It had taken time and numerous experiments with soil samples to find the right plants of Kryptonian origin that could germinate in soil compositions, different from their homeworld.

When Lex had first appeared on the farm, Vax-Om had explained that when the original wave of colonists had arrived, their first crop yields had been small, the food unappealing. Years of diligent effort and innovation were required by the agriculturists and many others.
The group had performed miracles to increase not only the crop yield, but the substance of the food as well.

Noting the others reluctance to interact with this being from another star, Vax-Om, as head of this particular farm taught Lex-Er how to use the planting and harvesting machinery and during mealtimes brought the strangely garbed man home to share repasts with his family. Vax-Om’s wife, Eyner, a slender woman with a face like a blunt hatchet, was an excellent cook whose compassionate nature made him feel welcome.

The breather sometimes made the very act of consuming food outside of his prison awkward for Lex; nonetheless he discovered that being around such people – even aliens – was preferable to the loneliness of his ‘home’.

Loneliness.

The time spent with Vax-Om, Eyner and their children was where his metamorphosis began.

The generous and nutritious meals were extremely important; the back breaking labor nearly killed him. He had not worked like this since his days as a youth on the docks of Hob's Bay. But he silently persisted, mastering first one task and then another.

Over time, the field techs, which were their proper titles, ceased being suspicious and observed this stranger in their midst. Lex’s increasing understanding of the crops, machinery, his growing strength and his determination not to quit was appealing. Slowly they began to accept him as a fellow worker. One who was willing to do whatever it took to get the tasks accomplished in an organized and timely manner. Several began to approach him and helped in areas where he needed a little assistance. Their respect, once grudgingly given grew with each passing moonround.

At the end of each day’s work, he was collected by a gray guard and returned to the empty sumptuous space he called ‘home’. It was devoid of voices and sound outside of his breathing. Some of the guards would ignore him and some he had grown almost friendly with. But they were rotated every month and as soon as one would thaw they were gone. Only Dru-Zod remained. One evening the grim-faced captain entered the apartments and spoke with him, the taunts were barbed, yet truthful.

“Lex-Er! I hear that’s what those ground grubbers call you! Is that such a name for a man who once ran a Terran financial empire? Are you so desperate to leave this compound you are willing to accept it? I wonder what your former minions would think of you now?”

He refused to answer. Over the long months of his imprisonment, Dru-Zod had tried to belittle him in every way possible, using psychological methods to mold him into a tool for his own use. Lex’s character assessment of a person’s psyche, even an alien like Zod kept him sane and purposeful, eventually he would use that to his advantage.

“So,” Dru-Zod continued, “the ‘steward’ of spice fruits and grain refuses to answer? Never mind, what would Lex Luthor say to a chance to return home and be a leader of men again?”

Home.

He snatched at the word like a thirsty man lost in the dessert grasping for a cup of icy, cold, fresh water. He wanted to return to Earth. It was his deepest hope. A hope he had cast off months ago. Memories recorded by his senses came to mind:

A yellow sun beaming seductively down on the golden sands of Waikiki beach, with blue water lazily lapping against the shores.

Walking along the cliffs of Santorini, the air fragrant with tangy sea air. He remembered visiting an art gallery and winery. The wines excellent and flavorful.

Hearing the electronic clang of the bell, an eager crowd of LexCorp employees and SEC officials stood behind him as he opened the New York Stock Exchange.

The touch of Aykira Milan’s lips.

Why did his mind bring up the Director of Recycling in Kansas City?

Perhaps he thought, because she was the last decent woman he had spent time with before coming to this place? He wanted to seduce her and making her yet another conquest, but she had a refreshing blend of courage and kindness. He remembered that the last reports from that money pit were showing promising results.

Still he pushed those memories away, returning to Earth was beyond his reach. A man like the First Lord does not alter a decision and allow an enemy to return to his home ground. There was also the fact that he knew Prince Kal-El’s true identity. No way on the nine planets could Jor-El let him lose to wreck havoc on his eldest son’s life. He would shove aside any prior reservation and put him to death first.

He had gained so much on this world, Vax-Om and Eyner trusted him. He had made real friends. Still the thought of moving around outside without armor was tantalizing, like eating a piece of juicy ripe fruit. Captain Dru-Zod had him. Lex wanted to put his head down and weep. “What.” He measured his next words with extreme care. “What do you want me to do?”

METROPOLIS: S.T.A.R. LABS.

It was late, Bernie and Abrihet sat at the examination table, and staring at the rock they coined Metal X.

“It needs a final test.” Bernie said bitterly.

“Oui, but that would be cruel.” Abrihet’s voice was tired and extremely sad.

“No, it would be crueler if Superman and Ultra Woman were denied the perfect protection because of our timidity. All our tests point to the fact that Metal X somehow protects them from the deadly effects of Kryptonite radiation.”

Warm hands massaged his slumped and tired shoulders, beseeching words escaped her lips, “Bernhard. They are our friends. Clark is to be Best Man at our wedding!”

Breaking contact, he rounded on her, fists clenched tight. “Don’t you think I know that! Years ago he and I discussed the possibility of developing a vaccine, one which provides immunity against Kryptonite’s effects. Now that he and Lois are both Kryptonian it is even more important to me to find a cure. Someday they will have offspring. The last thing they need is to worry about someone using their children’s vulnerability to Kryptonite against them.”

Abrihet’s eyes widen, it was an impassioned speech. He wanted to help people, which he had through many of his inventions. But now that his – their – skills could rid their dear friends of their only affliction he was frightened to test a possible solution on either one of them.

“Your fears match my own?” she whispered.

“Yes, what if Metal X in conjunction with Kryptonite removes their powers ….permanently?”

“What shall we do?”

Bernie looked away from her, his eyes red with exhaustion and unshed tears and said. “Tell them … and let them decide. Sweetheart, forgive me for shouting. This is an incredible discovery yet …”

He took a deep breath and sighed; Abrihet gathered him in her arms and held him close. “If only there was another Kryptonian we could experiment on …” she said with a sigh.

METROPOLIS: THE DAILY PLANET

“For a couple who were in such a hurry to get their affairs in order so they can marry Bernie and Abrihet have been sticking awfully close to S.T.A.R. Labs.” Lois said from her desk.

“Honey, they have a lot to get done in six no, five weeks, especially Bernie. Now that Abrihet is on a six month sabbatical from her teaching position to work on another paper, he’s the main breadwinner in the family. Don’t worry, she’s pick out a dress already? What else does a bride have to do? Oh by the way, Bernie sent me to JOHAN’S to be fitted for a tuxedo …”

The expression from his wife’s face that greeted Clark was one of utter shock. Getting a dress was one of the first things a bride had to do and then the list grows exponentially. But this last comment about a tuxedo. “Bernard Joseph Klein sent you to JOHAN’S for a tuxedo? Clark, a basic suit there starts at $1500.00! What does he think? That investigative reporters – even award winning ones - are made of money?”

Gleefully hoping the Kents were having a fight, Ralph Lombard sauntered over to Clark’s desk and said, “Hey buddy, if you can afford to shop at JOHAN’S, how about slipping me a few bucks until payday?”

“Scam Ralph, this is a private conversation between my husband and I.” She snarled

The reporter was about to come back with a snarky remark, saw the hard look on both Lois and Clark’s faces and decided it was better for him to leave.

It wasn’t until Ralph was seated and out of earshot at his desk did Lois speak. “Now as I was saying this fancy tuxedo is too expensive. That’s more than our monthly mortgage.”

Clark looked both ways than whispered. “It doesn’t matter, I’m not paying for it, Bernie is.”

A squeak escaped her voice “Since when does he have that kind of cash? Three years ago during that whole ‘Bad Brain’ Johnson fiasco with Tim and Amber Lake he was afraid those crazies were going to terminate his grant money.”

“That was before his inventions in the field of medicine and space science began to take off. Our friend and Superman’s physician is now quite wealthy. It doesn’t hurt that his fiancée has taught him a thing or two about clothing. Think of it like this, with all the rubber chicken and high society events we attend, it’s not a bad thing for me to have a custom-made tuxedo.”

Sufficiently mollified, Lois said “Good point, a new tux would definitely come in handy. Just one question Farmboy.” The seductive gleam in her eyes was unmistakable.

“Yes Mrs. Kent?” Clark said wiggling his eyebrows.

“How does it look on you?” Her voice became as soft as velvet when she said, “and how long will it take to get it off?”

He was about to answer when the phone on his desk rang. He picked up the phone, his voice suddenly all business and said, “Clark Kent, City desk.” A big grin spread over his face. “Bernie! We were just talking about you. Are you guys finally free for lunch or dinner?”

He waited a minute while Bernie spoke; the look on his handsome face slipped from humorous to worry. “Sure, we’ll be there as soon as possible. ‘Bye.” He hung up the phone, his expression, dubious.

“What’s wrong?” Lois asked.

“Bernie wants to see us immediately, if not sooner. He says there’s something important we need to see and a important decision has to be made that can only be done by us.”

METROPOLIS: S.T.A.R. LABS

“Dr. Klein and Ms. Senai are waiting for you in the Metallurgy laboratory. This way please.” The intense young lab assistant said. As she led the duo down a series of well lighted corridors neither of them were familiar with.

“I thought we were going to his personal lab?” Lois queried.

The young woman allowed a raspy sound to escape her throat which might be considered a chuckle, “Dr. Klein is a scientific Jack-of-all-trades. His expertise is in demand by a number of companies. Just about all the labs in this complex he has free access to.” She stopped at a heavy steel door marked METALLURGY, knocked once, waited a few seconds and then opened the door to let them inside. “They should be at the far end of the lab. When you are done, they will lead you out of S.T.A.R. Labs.”

Upon entering the large room filled with computers, machines, examination tables and several devices they did not recognize. At the far end of the room they saw Abrihet and Bernie bent over what looked like a large lump of molten reddish metal, their expressions apprehensive.

Lois thought, it was normal for Bernie to be serious and even a little tense while involved with a project, outside of work he was warm and congenial. Abrihet was usually very positive and upbeat. What could possibly have their friends so worried? In an attempt to lighten the mood she called out. “Hey you two! We’re here!”

Bernie came over to greet them while Abrihet made adjustments to her instruments. His voice was hesitant and tense, he said, “I …that is we are glad to see you both. Please have a seat.”

Lois and Clark each sat in a hard orange plastic chair, they both felt like errant school children waiting in the principal’s outer office.

“Wh …what’s going on Bernie? Is everything all right?” Clark asked trying hard to mask the nervousness in his voice.

Bernie took a sharp breath and blurted out, “we think we might have found the cure for Kryptonite radiation poisoning. However …"

His next words were lost amidst whoops and shouts of joy. Clark picked up Lois by her slim waist and swirled her around the room. Neither noticed their friends did not join in their celebration.

The jubilation died down when Clark set Lois to the floor he said, “What’s with all the gloom and doom? This is great news!”

Abrihet stood by Bernie and slipped her hand into his; one could not help but notice the stark contrast in their skin tones. But what mattered most was their deep love and devotion to each other; a devotion which encouraged them to help their friends, even if the solution to the problem could prove to be not only unpleasant, but devastating.

Abrihet said, “Make yourselves comfortable and sit down mon aimées, se il vous plaît. We have much more to tell you.”

Together, they explained about the discovery of Metal X and it uncanny capabilities. Bernie said, “For the past week we ran a full range of tests on this metal and examined it under perfect lab conditions; unfortunately we need a test subject. It’s the only way to be certain that the Metal X will render Green or any other color Kryptonite harmless.”

Clark stood and despite wearing his regular street clothes his body language and voice were that of Superman. “There’s no debate. That test subject will be me.”

His wife stood up immediately and glared up at him, her brown eyes flashing, “Why you? Now is not the time to be all noble! My body is just as Kryptonian as yours. Jor-El tested my DNA to confirm it.”

Startled, Bernie said, “Jor-El? Your biological father? I thought he perished when Krypton exploded?”

Lois closed her eyes, and groaned. “Oh no!”

Realizing there was no way to hide this fact, Clark answered, “It’s a long story, one we should have told you about last year, but we didn’t want to burden you with another one of our secrets. Let’s get back to that later; what is the down side to the effects of Metal X?”

“We are unsure if exposure for any length of time to both kryptonite and Metal X will cancel out your powers temporarily, permanently or not at all.” Abrihet said

“Clark, let’s do this together.” Lois said softly.

He wrapped his arms around Lois and held her close, his voice firm yet confident. “No. Earth needs at least one super hero.” He released her and walked over to his friend. “Come on Bernie, let’s get this over with.”

The men walked over to the tall vault door, entered it together and then with a loud clang closed the door firmly behind them. Lois tried to use her X-ray vision to see into the vault, but it was lead lined. She paced back and forth, muttering darkly, wondering what was going on.

“How long does it take to run an experiment like this? They’ve been in there long enough!”

“Patience Lois …” Abrihet began.

Tears sprang to her eyes, “I know, I know, we have to take this chance, but Abrihet. Clark was born with these powers. Being Superman is what he was born to do. I …”

Abruptly her husband’s voice broke through the quiet. Fearing the worst, Lois zoomed to the vault at super speed, leaving a trail of papers, pens and overturned chairs in her wake. She was about to rip the door off its hinges when first Bernie, then Clark stepped through, the latter wearing a wide grin on his face.

“It works! Whenever Metal X is close to Kryptonite it becomes inactive and does not hurt me at all. My powers remain!”
Once again, he gathered up Lois in his arms and this time he flew around the room laughing with joy.

When he put her down, Lois grabbed Abrihet and hugged her. “Thanks to you and Bernie we no longer have to fear Kryptonite! It’s time to celebrate that and your engagement! Lemme see the ring!”

The two men beside them looked at each other in amazement, only moments before Clark faced excruciating pain and possibly the permanent loss of his super powers. Now the special women in their lives were only concerned about a tiny piece of jewelry which sparkled brightly on Abrihet’s finger.

Abrihet answered Lois by holding out her left hand, allowing her friend to see the square cut sapphire surrounded by diamonds. “Oui, these are things we must celebrate!

Bernie added, That's true my dear, but what's this new information regarding Clark’s father?”

Last edited by Morgana; 04/05/15 09:57 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.