Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I started this one a couple of days ago and haven't had time to finish it. But I'm a couple of chapters in and I'm dying to know how Lois is going to get out of this dilemma. Once again, Nan is the queen of plotting! notworthy I'll discuss more once I've had a chance to finish it. (It's a little longer than most of our "short" stories... Or did I accidentally pick up the long one by mistake?) Clark working at the Star? Lois married to Lex? shock I'm wondering where Tempus screwed up this dimension. More later.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Virginia,

This IS the long one(218K vs 56K from the archive). You will enjoy it. I read it a long time ago and am in the process or re-reading it for this exercise. Will post once complete with the re-read.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 11/18/14 09:31 AM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
This one is a favorite of mine. Nan generally writes Lois as tough, smart, and cagey. This story is no different. Lois gets bonked on the head leaving a Halloween Ball sometime in S2 after the Wedding Fiasco and Lex's death and wakes up with Lex alive and she is married to him. Rather than totally freaking out she analyzes the situation and begins working to get to Clark to get him to help her get out of the situation and figure out what has happened. The story's detail of how she slips the Lex surveillance is textbook Nan Smith. With Clark's help she finds that a Simon Temper (Tempus in Nan's world) has kidnapped her and put her in place of the Lois in this new time dimension. The Lois of this time dimension has already figured Lex and has gone on the lamb with damning evidence. She is trying to get it to Henderson to put Lex away. She has refused to go to Clark not wanting to put his life in danger. So Lois (of our time dimension) and Clark(of the new time dimension) must find her, find Temper, put Lex away, and put everything back as it should be. No problem for our duo (actually trio with Lois Luthor in the mix). They get some help from Morrie who is actually a time cop chasing Temper and posing as a newspaper reporter.

The story has suspense, conflict, and resolution just as a good story should have. If you like Nan's writing you will love this story. If you have not read any of Nan's work then this is a great place to start thumbsup.

A bit unusual in this story is that Nan does not have Lois figuring out Clark is Superman until Temper exposes him to Kryptonite during the penultimate part of the story. Normally Nan has her figuring Clark out early then waiting around for him to get around to telling her, sometimes she has to just tell him she knows because of circumstances. In this case though she remembers that Clark is Superman in her "dream" and then when getting ready for bed she finds the cut on her ankle (she suffered that during a battle with Lex's goons attempting to kill Clark earlier in the story it all begins to click and of course the story ends.

I love Nan's depiction of Lois as opposed to many of the current stories where she is weak or damaged or just "glactically stupid" with regard to Clark and of course his relationship to Superman.

I just can't get enough of Nan dance . Now if her Smallville would make a comeback... clap

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
blush I just finally finished this today. peep That tells you how behind I am with my reading.

Once again, Nan has written a great story. This one mish-mashes both her A-Plot and B-Plot. Lois on the cusp of realizing her feelings for Clark when she wakes up married to Luthor! [Linked Image] No wonder she doesn't want to believe any of that was real at the end. I felt that it was paced really good until the end, when suddenly everything is solved within one chapter (or what felt like one chapter). Finding Lois Luthor, discovering that the man following her is Tempus (Temper), and that Clark has an allergy to green glowing rocks happened almost all at once, then suddenly she's home. I would have liked to have Lois, Lois, and Clark work together for more than a couple of hours, before having everything solved for them by the time-travel cops. The ending almost felt too pat or hurried.

I did wonder at the end when Lois discovers her bandaged ankle. It was almost as if someone erased her memories, because she stared at the bandage, got a tingling feeling in her head, and then decided to go off to bed as if nothing was wrong. Did someone take away her discovery from her mind?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard