A/N: Okay, it's been a long wait for a short part. Sorry about that; I've eaten through my buffer, and am now writing on the fly. Feedback and suggestions will be helpful. In the meantime, I hope y'all still enjoy.

Part Seven

----------

The trip back to the Planet was, mercifully, uneventful. Charlotte was thrilled to see her when she arrived; Les...well, less so. He was in the middle of some serious grousing when Charlotte led Lois to him, and he looked up at her suspiciously. “Charlotte says you can get Hans back?” he asked.

“I said I could solve your Superman problem,” Lois clarified. “I didn't say anything about Hans.”

Les dragged a hand down his face and sighed. “Figures,” he grumbled. “All right, what is your idea? Write Superman out of the movie? Hide him like the shark in Jaws?”

Lois glanced at Charlotte. “Tell you what,” she said to Les, “how about you and Mr. Byrne join me in Perry's office, and I'll explain everything in detail?”

Les frowned in confusion. “In *whose* office?” he asked. “Don't tell me Superman hired someone *else* for this film!”

Lois froze. “Just follow me,” she said. Before leading the way, she turned to Charlotte. “Charlotte, we might be a while,” she said. “How about if you pay a little visit to—Rudy? Was it? There are some things Jordan and the others can fill you in on. Maybe they'll save you a glass of dish-soap,” she added under her breath.

Charlotte visibly fought not to laugh. “Sure, Grams,” she replied, and immediately headed for the elevator.

Lois couldn't help but feel a little disconcerted at how easy that had been, but she pushed the thought aside and started off towards the editor's office.

The three took their seats around the little table that had been set up in the editor's office. Les' remaining patience had clearly worn away, and Mr. Byrne simply looked sullen. “What's getting chopped, now?” the writer asked.

Lois ignored him. “Okay, I have big news for both of you," she began. When they failed to appear interested, she pressed on. “I've recently spoken to the head of Superman's family, and she has given me permission to tell you both the biggest secret you will ever hear in your lives. What I tell you will not only help with your Superman problem, but will *completely* change this movie!”

Les and Mr. Byrne both frowned.

“You'll be making history,” Lois tried again.

They roused a little at that. “Okay,” said Les, “I'll bite. What is the secret?”

Lois hesitated. “There's a condition, first.”

Les groaned. “Of course,” he muttered.

“I need you to make sure that the blame for spilling this secret falls squarely on m—er, the family head,” said Lois. “This was strictly her decision.”

“So, we make a few calls to Marketing,” said Les. “Maybe stick a note in the opening credits...sounds easy enough.”

“You might also need to get rid of Charlotte,” said Lois.

Les narrowed his eyes at her. “What?” he growled.

“I don't want her taking any heat for this,” said Lois. “It's a pretty controversial call.”

“And what on earth does Charlotte have to do with a bunch of Kryptonians?” Les demanded.

A look of realization appeared on Mr. Byrne's face. “Is this about that paternity scandal, years back?” he asked.

“No, I just—wait, what?” Lois sputtered.

“She's about the right age,” Les mused.

“That's it, isn't it?” Mr. Byrne went on, bouncing in his seat. “The charges were true after all, and our own Charlotte Carlyle McLeod is the illegitimate—”

“Stop!” Lois held up a hand to still the bouncing writer. “Look, just promise me that you'll make sure Charlotte's hands stay clean.”

“No,” said Les.

Lois and Mr. Byrne both gaped at him in surprise.

“Do you think I'm going to fire my best actress just to get a juicier script?” Les demanded. “If it were anyone else, then maybe, but I've been working with that girl since she was just a skinny kid looking for a break. I once took a skunk to the face for that girl! She's like family to me!” He folded his arms and glared at her. “So here's how it's going to be: you tell me whatever this secret of yours is, and I'll do whatever *I* think is best for Charlotte.”

Lois met his gaze and held it. “Deal.”

Mr. Byrne seemed about to faint.

“I hope you've got a pencil ready, Mr. Byrne,” said Lois, “because the story I'm about to tell you is a doozy.” She leaned back in her chair. “It's about a man who gets 'forced away from his home and the people he loves, by forces beyond his control'. It starts in a cornfield in Kansas....”

To Be Continued...

~•~