I know, I know - hiatus was WAY TOO LONG, and this piece is way too short. But I need to jump start the writing juices, so posting what I managed to write today and plan to use your comments to help motivate me on the next few scenes.

In case you missed it (or just need to refresh your memory)…
Part One | Part Two | Part Three
Part Four | Part Five | Part Six
Part Seven

Operation Argus
Part 8

When Lois arrived home, Richard and Jason were watching the end of The Incredibles. She gave each a brief kiss and then grabbed something she could eat in her office. She sat down in front of the computer, but just stared at it. After the adrenaline high, the flight, the confusion… she just couldn’t think anymore. Giving up, she wandered upstairs and helped Richard put Jason through his bedtime routine. She read her son a bedtime story, watching as he drifted off. She sat with him for a while after, just watching him - her little miracle. Eventually, she brushed his hair out of his eyes and dropped a kiss on his forehead.

Richard appeared to be asleep when she entered their room, but he rolled over as she slipped into bed next to him. He rubbed her arm lightly and asked, “Get everything you needed tonight?”

“Uh huh,” she responded, staring up at the ceiling.

“Then what’s on your mind?”

Turning to look at her fiancé, she smiled a bit. “Sorry. It was… a weird night.”

“Oh?”

“Superman had to get me out of a bit of trouble.”

His hand stilled and flexed a bit on her arm. “Anything I need to know about?”

She shook her head. “They didn’t recognize me, so there shouldn’t be any fallout. Though considering I was just tailing the Deputy Mayor, I suspect my story will have a little more follow up than I expected it to.”

His eyes darted away from hers. “And Superman?”

“Dropped me at the Daily Planet. Didn’t even stay for an interview.”

Richard smiled a bit. “Uncle Perry won’t be too happy about that.”

“No, I don’t suppose he will.” She reached up and took Richard’s hand in her own. “I was more concerned that he didn’t even talk to me off the record. After all, we’re - well, we were friends. I thought he’d at least want to catch up.”

“Could have been there was something else he had to do.” Richard lightly squeezed her hand. “I’m glad you’re okay at least.”

“I swear, Richard, I wasn’t looking for trouble -“

“I know,” he responded automatically her. “Trouble just seems to have a way of finding you.”

Normally, his response would have an undercurrent of amusement, but tonight he just sounded tired. She leaned over and kissed him lightly. “I’ll always come home. I promise.”

<S> <S> <S> <S> <S>

Please please please remember to comment!

Last edited by ColleenMA; 06/30/14 06:32 AM.