Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254567 05/22/14 06:00 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think? I'll be taking Memorial weekend off from writing, so this will be the last chapter for a little while.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Nice reveal. I must confess that I never thought about Clark's vision gizmo giving him the ability to see more colors than normal humans. And Lois' seeming horror at knowing that he could hear her pee was priceless. Like hers is so distinctive that he could listen for her potty breaks and identify them over everyone else's. Most especially, I thought she shifted mental gears from thinking Clark was nuts to full acceptance awfully fast. Of course, having bad guys try to kill you will either sharpen your thinking or make you panic. And Lois isn't easily panicked.

I thought she recovered from the shock of Joe's murder pretty quickly. And she's already planning their escape from the conundrum in which they've found themselves. Just wait until she finds out Clark can fly and freeze things with his breath. She'll have him ice over Bill Church's driveway and let him slip and almost fall and have Clark snatch him out of midair and leave him at the peak of Mount Ranier. It's only 14,409 feet.

Have a nice weekend, Shayne! I hope you come back fully recharged and give us some more really terrific chapters. Do you have an estimate on how long this one is going to be? Lots, I hope.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So we finally learn what got Clark running from Kansas. I should have suspected all along that he was protecting someone else.

I liked the way she immediately started rebuffing his claims about saving Joe with facts, especially "Could you watch him every second of every day?" Chillingly insightful.

The "I wouldn’t ask you to" at the end doesn't have quite the right ring to it for me, though. It sounds like Lois would be perfectly happy killing people, but won't force Clark to be involved in that sort of thing. An aghast "Of course not!" would make me feel better. Like, if I met Lois in the street, I wouldn't have to be quite as scared. smile

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I hadn't considered the Moses angle before. Clark doesn't know everything about himself but he's telling Lois everything he knows. I like that you have Clark telling Lois before either of them are established or experienced.

Lois's analysis of the situation is pure Lois. Clark is still worrying about what he has done, only really beginning to worry about what he could have done. Lois is the supporting voice of reason.

Looking forward to the war.

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Interesting. Conspicuous by its absence is any mention of flight as something Clark can do. I wonder whether this ability will manifest itself some time during this story.

All in all, Lois (once she actually believed him) took the news pretty calmly. I guess she's so numb from the day's events that having an alien as her roommate almost doesn't register as being worth getting excited about.

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I enjoyed Clark telling Lois about himself and her reaction to it. I'm looking forward to the next part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I loved this part, too. I love how quickly Lois accepts what Clark can *do*, and starts thinking about what Clark can *accomplish*.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yea! hyper It's up! /And I'm on the boards, so I can comment. I read this earlier on my iPhone, but I have to say, I much prefer it on my big screen./

Lois laughed uneasily. “No, really, what’s your secret? Are you some kind of magician?”

Clark hesitated. His voice was neutral. “Would you prefer to believe that?”

“Maybe one of your foster parents was a stage magician,” Lois said. “I’ve never really gotten a good look at what you keep in that bag of yours.”
Say, what? Okay, I can understand her total non-acceptance of his "I'm not human" or whatever he had said. It's not like there's an abundance of proof (well, believable proof) on aliens walking the earth.

Although, I don't understand how a magician would be able to do what she's kind of seen and heard Clark do.

Clark was silent for a long moment, then he chuckled. “I’ve thought about what this moment would be like for a long time. Sharing this is a big deal for me. For some reason it never occurred to me that people wouldn’t believe me.”
I can understand his anger (earlier). He's being honest and she's not believing him. It wasn't until here that he realizes that what he's saying is quite unbelievable to someone who doesn't know everything that he can do.

“I hated Close Encounters of the Third Kind, too. I had nightmares about being abducted, taken because of what I was.”
How sad. I could see that, especially since it isn't until the end of the film that you realize how nice the aliens are.

Clark stared at his hands. “None of that works very well in foster care. I couldn’t tell anyone; my father had warned me that I’d get cut up like a frog if I told anyone, and I was terrified someone would find out.”

What he was saying fit with the record she’d seen, which it would have if he was rationalizing away his real behaviors.
It sounds like she's rationalizing away his reasoning.

“I keep having a dream,” Clark said. He closed his eyes. “Everybody is made of tissue paper, and no matter what I do everything I touch dies.”
mecry Poor Clark. Yeah, he's not touching Lois any time soon.

Clark shrugged. “My mother had a theory. You remember the story of Moses in the basket?”
You know, I've never thought about it quite like that. Martha, you're a genius! notworthy

“I was there,” Clark said. “I just wasn’t fast enough to save them. Kind of like tonight, except that I would have been.”

“Surely you can’t be…” Lois began, then she stared.

Clark was standing across the room, his blankets folded up neatly where he’d been. She hadn’t even seen him move, although she could feel the wind of his passage.
Surely, he is. I think this was more convincing than the bed test.

He paced. “I can hear everything in a thirty mile radius. I can see the flag on the moon left by the Apollo astronauts. I can see through anything if I want, except lead. I should have known.”
Is the "should have known" referring to Joe? How could Clark have known? He doesn't want to think that the father of a boy he knows would do this, let alone in front of his son. Then, again, Charlie had warned him about those CostMart people.

“I keep going over and over in my head, the things I could have done,” Clark said. “I could have made his gun so hot he couldn’t hold it. I could have jumped over the fence and ripped the gun out of his hand so fast he couldn’t see me. I could have stood up and let him shoot at me. Instead, I just crouched there, frozen.”
Poor Clark. He's blaming himself for Bill Church's actions. frown

“You know how well that worked for Bugs Bunny,” Lois said dryly. “The gun would probably explode anyway, and then you’d have revealed what you are to them.”

“Joe would be alive,’ Clark said stubbornly.

“Are you sure about that? Could you watch him every second of every day, especially once they knew who your friends are?”
Yea, Lois, for showing him the big picture! clap

“What happens when they want you to invade Nicaragua? Maybe the Middle East? Worrying about the politics of losing too many soldiers is one of the few things holding us back, but if they had you…that kind of power would be addictive. It might not start out that way, but eventually they’d end up using you to conquer the world.”
Good point, Lois. Some secrets are best kept secret because if someone else controlled him... /shivers/ Let's hope that doesn't... Oh, wait, that's happening in Colleen's story over on the Superman FanFic from Other Canon forum... yeah. Scary.

“You could kidnap government leaders until somebody was elected that they liked,” Lois said. “You could destroy oil refineries, factories, airports…just the threat of you would be enough to make some countries give in.”

“I think you’re exaggerating,” Clark said, but he looked troubled. “The United States can already do that kind of thing.”

“At a million dollars a missile,” Lois said. “Using you, it’d be fast, and it’d be free.”

Clark scowled and stared at the floor.
Does Clark think Lois is condoning this? 'Cause it sounds like another version of "Be careful or they'll dissect you" threat his dad used to say.

Her mind racing, Lois explained the basics of the plan that was forming in her mind. Getting justice for Joe wasn’t their only priority. As long as the Churches controlled a criminal organization, neither they or any of their loved ones would ever be safe.

They were going to have to go to war.
What? A plan already? Wow. I'm amazed. That's fast! I can't wait to see what the plan will be... but I guess, I'll have to. wave Have a good weekend! That's okay. I have to say that I love your "often" posting schedule, though. smile1

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well done. A very interesting part. I hope L&C can do this without creating Superboy. Looking forward to more.
Since you willing taking time for RL I gather we can't expect the next post till June 12th or so?

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Conspicuous by its absence is any mention of flight as something Clark can do.

I don't know if it's canon or fanon that LnC Clark couldn't fly till he was eighteen. From what you said in previous chapters I'm assuming that Clark has only 2 months to go before he becomes of legal age.

Also, go Lois! As ever, she'll be the one who will create Superman. She's the gal with a plan.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by IolantheAlias

I don't know if it's canon or fanon that LnC Clark couldn't fly till he was eighteen.
In JSN, Clark says that he's been flying since high school, but I don't think canon mentions anything more specific than that in terms of when he began to fly.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Originally Posted by IolantheAlias
I don't know if it's canon or fanon that LnC Clark couldn't fly till he was eighteen.
In JSN, Clark says that he's been flying since high school, but I don't think canon mentions anything more specific than that in terms of when he began to fly.
Doesn't he say in ASU that he didn't learn to fly until he was 18? He must have somewhere, because I never have him learn to fly until then in any of my fics. It's also why I assumed he hasn't learn to fly, yet, here.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/28/14 01:30 PM. Reason: Added note

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
You're right, Virginia; I just checked the script. Of course, Shayne has made so many changes from canon that one can't assume that this would remain constant. But in either event, since he will likely turn 18 during the course of this story, my original comment still stands: I still wonder whether this power will manifest itself in this story and, if so, under what circumstances.

Joy,
Lynn

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
One of the nice things in Superman Returns was Clark leaning to fly. Something like that would work real well in this tale.

starts at 3:05

Framework4
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for sharing that youtube link. I have never been fond of Superman Returns; those deleted scenes, however, I think were better than just about any that actually made it into the movie. I love the Scrabble scene between Jonathan and Martha.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard