Suspicions: 2/?
by Nan Smith

Previously:

The fourth floor of the apartment house was quiet. Candy led the way to her apartment with a brisk step, amazing for someone in spiked heels, Clark thought. He didn't know how women managed to walk in heels without spraining an ankle, but surmised that there had to be an art to it. They paused at the door and she fumbled for her keys. Clark unobtrusively lowered his glasses to check the room beyond the door. Everything seemed normal. He waited patiently until she had the door open and turned to him.

"Thanks, Clark. I appreciate the help."

"You're welcome," Clark said. "I'm going to phone a couple of friends. If they're willing to give you a ride in the morning, I'll let you know; all right?"

Candy nodded. "Leave a message on the machine, if I don't answer," she said. "I'll probably be out late."

"Right," he said. "Lock your door."

Candy closed the door and he heard the click as she fastened the bolt. Clark turned to retrace his steps to the elevator, frowning. The whole story Candy had told bothered him. It sounded as if his coworker might really be in danger.

He rounded the corner to the elevator just as the doors opened, and a man in a janitor's coverall emerged, towing a vacuum cleaner. He held the door politely for Clark.

"Thanks." Clark stepped into the car and punched the button for the first floor.

The man nodded absently and headed down the hallway, pushing his vacuum.

And now, Part 2:

Ellen Lane sat in her car, watching as Clark drove away. Well, it looked as if he hadn't stayed long enough for anything to happen. That was encouraging, but she intended to keep an eye on this Candy female. Sam's first affair had been with the office receptionist, and if this sexpot worked in the Daily Planet's newsroom, that was a red flag, as far as she was concerned. Clark hadn't shown the slightest reaction to her outrageous clothing, either. Most normal men would have at least noticed what she was flagrantly showing off. Ellen strongly suspected that it had all been an act on his part. Still, she was forced to admit that Sam had made a good point the other night. She had never seen Clark look at any woman other than Lois. Could any man possibly be that faithful? Clark's behavior seemed almost too good to be true, except for his odd absences. That was the thing that had aroused her suspicions in the beginning.

Ellen started the engine and pulled out into traffic. She wouldn't mention her mission to Sam. He wouldn't approve of what she was doing, but Sam didn't give any credence to her suspicions. At 41, Clark was a remarkably good-looking man. He had the kind of good looks that grew more distinguished over time, and unless he colored his hair, which she doubted, he didn't have a grey hair on his head. Sam had begun to have a thin spot by the same age, but Clark's hair was as thick as it had been the day she met him, and he hadn't gained a pound or lost any of his impressive build since that day, as far as she could tell. He was certainly the kind of man that women noticed and he wouldn't be the first to sample what was being offered. She hoped that she would be proven wrong, but until she was sure one way or the other, she intended to watch her daughter's husband.

When the Jeep turned onto Hyperion Avenue, she turned off and headed toward home. Sam would be getting out of his lab, soon.

"A stalker!" Lois said.

"Yeah." Clark sat down on the sofa next to her. "I called Jim to see if he and Sandi could give her a ride in the morning. Sandi said they couldn't do it tomorrow, but they could the next day, so I'm going to pick her up in the morning, if you don't mind."

"Mother will have a fit if she finds out," Lois said. "She'll be sure that you're seeing Candy behind my back."

"I know, but --" Clark shrugged. "I'm not going to stop trying to help people just because it makes your mom suspicious. Candy was scared, even though she was trying not to show it. I could tell."

"Of course you could," Lois said. "I agree with you. You can pick her up tomorrow and Jim can do it on Friday."

"Jim's going to do a search and see if he can come up with the names of the guests who were at the Valentine Ball," Clark said.

"Good idea," Lois said. She ran a hand over her rounded abdomen with a sigh. "I'm afraid I can't be of much use right now."

"You've got a much more important job to do," Clark said. "Still, if you want to, you can do some research online, if Jim doesn't have the time." He rested his fingers on top of hers and felt one of the babies kick against their joined hands.

Lois rubbed the spot. "This one's going to be a football player, I think," she remarked. "Maybe all of them are. I'm going to be black and blue from the inside out by the time they're born." She shifted position. "I think Superman should keep an eye on Candy, too, Clark. This guy sounds like he means business."

"He sure does," Martha said.

"I called her a few minutes ago to tell her who'd be picking her up in the morning, and she answered the phone," Clark said, "so she's okay, so far. I think Superman will probably make an extra fly-by or two, this evening, as well."

"Not a bad idea," Lois said. "Candy may be irritating, but I don't want to see anything happen to her."

"Neither do I," Clark said. He hesitated, and decided to take the plunge. "On a related subject -- I wanted to get your take on something."

"Oh?" Lois said.

"Yes. I know we agreed that it wasn't necessary for your parents to know about my exact relationship with Superman, but the situation with your mother can't go on. What do you think about telling them the truth? It isn't as if they're going to run to the nearest tabloid with the story."

Lois gave a soft laugh. "I was thinking the same thing," she said. "As a matter of fact, I was going to bring it up this evening, if you hadn't."

Clark looked at his mother. "What do you think, Mom? After all, you and Dad are involved in this, too. If anyone found out the truth, you'd probably have tabloid reporters camped on your doorstep for the rest of your lives."

"If it happened, we could handle it," Martha said. "You and Lois would have to bear the brunt of it. I don't think it's likely though, do you?"

"No," Clark said. "But the more people who know, the more likely someone is to slip."

"I think it's a chance we're going to have to take," Martha said. "Until Ellen has the real explanation for why you disappear at inconvenient times, she's going to continue to think you're cheating on Lois. In a way, I can't blame her. She cares about Lois and the children, and it worries her."

"I know," Clark said. "I hope she doesn't get too angry when she finds out the truth."

"If she does, she'll recover," Lois said. "Besides, it's better than the alternative."

"I guess it is, at that," Clark agreed. "I think we need to talk to Dad, and then, if he agrees ..."

"I'll call him," Martha said.

"Better make the call from the bedroom," Clark said. He glanced toward the stairs. "Little pitchers and all that."

Martha laughed and nodded. "Be right back."

"And, in the meantime," Clark said, "I'll make dinner."

Morning in the Kent household was its usual controlled chaos, Lois thought.

Clark carefully set her on the sofa and made sure the TV remote control, the computer keyboard and mouse, and the phone were near at hand. "Is that all right?"

"It's fine," Lois said. "I'll give Mother a call in a little while and invite her and Dad over after dinner, tonight."

"Okay." Clark agreed. "Is it okay for me to be a little nervous?"

"Of course," Lois said. "This is a pretty big deal." She adjusted her position on the sofa and turned her head. "Come on, guys! You're going to be late for school!"

"Coming, Mom!" CJ's voice called, and a moment later the three older Kent children came through the kitchen doors, followed by Jimmy, still in his pajamas.

"Jimmy, go wash your face!" Lois commanded. "You have grape jelly in your eyebrows. Jonny, I told you the ding dongs were for afternoon snacks, not breakfast. Go with Jimmy and wash off the chocolate mustache."

Her second son looked guilty. "Sorry, Mommy. Come on, Jimmy."

The two boys headed for the downstairs bathroom.

"I'll bet," Lois said, to their retreating backs. "Well, at least he'll get a reasonably healthy lunch at school."

"I'll be back in a minute," CJ said. "I left my science project on my desk." He dashed up the stairs, moving a little faster than normal human speed.

Martha passed him on the way down the stairs. "Careful there, CJ."

He was gone before she finished speaking and an instant later reappeared at the head of the stairs with a three ringed binder in his hands. "I'm ready. Wyatt's bringing the model."

"Okay; head for the Jeep," Clark said. He bent to give Lois a kiss. "I need to hurry a little bit, guys. I'm giving Ms. Valenzuela a lift to work this morning, while her car is out of service."

"She's the one the stalker is after, huh?" Marta said. "I heard you and Mom talking about it last night."

Jimmy stepped out of the bathroom, the entire front of his pajama shirt dripping wet. "What's a stalker?" he wanted to know.

"A bad man," Jonny informed his younger sibling.

"A very bad man," Martha told them. "Hurry up, now."

Jonny hurried over to Lois to give her a goodbye hug and the three older children allowed their father to shepherd them out the door. As it closed behind them, Lois reached for the phone. "I'll give Mother that call, now."

Martha nodded. "While you're doing that, Jimmy and I will go upstairs and get him something a little more suited for day wear."

Lois nodded and dialed the number of her mother's cell phone. Patiently, she waited while the phone rang. On the third ring there was a chime and a recorded voice announced that Ms. Lane was not available and to leave a message. Lois hung up. She would wait an hour and call back. This was one time she wanted to speak personally to her mother.

"Hi, Candy," Clark said, as the society columnist settled into the seat of the Cherokee. "Any sign of your 'friend'?"

She shook her head. "No. At least, I don't think so. I came in at about one-thirty last night -- early for me. Mr. Bryant said he'd been keeping an eye on my place and he hadn't seen anyone, and it didn't look to me as if anyone had been there."

"Jim Olsen is trying to get hold of a list of the attendees at the Valentine Ball," he said. "I'm not sure it would still be around, though. We thought we might take a stab at identifying this guy."

Candy smiled reluctantly. "You don't need to waste your time on it, Clark. I'm sure you and Jim have more important things to be doing."

"No," Clark said. "If you're scared, and feel threatened, then that's enough for me. You're a society columnist. You wouldn't still have that list, would you?"

"It would be in that issue of the paper," she said. "I'll check when we get to the office. Still, it wouldn't give the names of the catering staff or the orchestra, or anything."

"There are ways to find out about those," Clark said. "Leave it to Jim and me, okay?"

"Okay." Candy pulled her light jacket more firmly around her shoulders.

"Are you cold?" he asked. "I can turn on the heater, if you'd like."

"No. I guess --" She hesitated. "I guess I just feel sort of -- well -- vulnerable, I guess is the word I'm looking for. Like somebody's out there watching every move I make. It's silly. Who would be watching me in a moving car? It's just the situation, I suppose."

"Probably," Clark agreed. "Still, it's understandable. I don't blame you a bit."

Candy fell silent for several minutes, but Clark noticed that she hadn't released the edges of the jacket.

"How did the Governor's party go last night?" he asked.

"Not bad. Most of his party's political bigwigs who live in the area were there. The speeches were kind of boring after the tenth one, though. There are only so many ways you can promise pie in the sky to the loyal flock."

He laughed. "That's for sure. Was Bill Henderson around?"

Candy shook her head. "No, he sent his regrets. Apparently, his wife has the flu and so does one of his daughters. He stayed home to help her."

"That's Henderson," Clark said. "He's a good guy. I'm going to try to get hold of him this morning. I know he isn't a cop anymore, but he still has friends in the police department."

Candy glanced at him with a little smile. "You're going to a lot of trouble for me, Clark. You know, when I first came to work at the Planet, three years ago, I'd heard about your reputation for trying to help people. I didn't think anybody could be that much of a crusader. I apologize for thinking it was a smokescreen. Cat was right."

He glanced at her. "Cat? Do you mean Cat Grant? I didn't realize you knew her."

"Sure." Candy nodded. "She and I were roommates and best friends in college and we've kept in contact ever since." The society columnist grinned slightly. "She talked about you. You know she's the managing editor for New Western Fashion, these days, don't you? She helped me come up with my image. You don't think I grew up dressing like this, do you?" She waved a hand at the tight, short dress she wore that revealed her long, elegant legs.

"Well," he said, "it didn't occur to me, actually. It wasn't any of my business."

"And besides, you and Lois are happily married, and you aren't interested in anyone else," Candy said, wryly. "Don't think it isn't obvious to every woman in the office. Anyway, before Cat, I used to be the plainest girl on campus. I'm not particularly pretty, but Cat showed me how to make the most of what was available."

"Not pretty?" Clark said, surprised. "Where on earth did you get that idea? You're a very attractive woman."

She gave a wry grin. "I can look in the mirror, Clark, but that's exactly what I'm talking about. Cat showed me how to emphasize my good points and minimize the ones that weren't so good. Besides, the image helps me in my job. I'm thinking about changing the way I dress, though. This stalker thing has made me wonder."

Clark shook his head. "I doubt it had much to do with the situation, Candy. I'd say this guy has a screw loose. I suspect he'd have gone after you, no matter how you dressed." He stopped. "You know, that's an idea."

"What is?"

"It's possible this isn't the first time he's done something like this. I'm going to do some research into previous cases like this one. It might give us some clues."

"You think so?" Candy said.

"It's a definite possibility." Clark turned the Cherokee into the entrance to the Planet's basement parking lot. "I guess I don't have to caution you about not walking around in dark alleys. I talked to Superman, and he's promised to try to keep an eye out for you, too, so if you run into trouble, yell for him, okay?"

"I will," Candy said. "Thanks, Clark. I guess you don't really know who your friends are until you need them."

Ellen Lane watched as Clark pulled the Kent Jeep up to the curb in front of the apartment building, a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Her worst fears seemed to be in the process of being confirmed. Clark had dropped the woman off the evening before and it seemed as if he'd been telling the truth; that he was simply giving a co-worker a ride home. But if that was true, why should he come back in the morning?

She waited, fully expecting him to enter the apartment house, but contrary to her expectations, he simply waited with the engine running. A man had set up a flower stand on the sidewalk, just far enough from the entrance to be legal; Ellen had noticed him the night before. Clusters of pink carnations and tasteful, little bouquets of mixed flowers sat in containers of water behind the stand. Big, single red roses, each in its own container, occupied the place of honor near the front, next to little bunches of violets. The flowers were beautiful, but Ellen barely glanced at the display as she sat, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel of the Taurus.

No more than two minutes passed, and the woman in question emerged from the building, skirted the stand and walked to the Cherokee. Ellen frowned, a little puzzled, as the society columnist opened the door and climbed in. This wasn't what she had expected, but there was the plain fact that Clark appeared to be giving this woman more attention than any married man should.

The Cherokee pulled away from the curb. She followed, thinking. So far she had plenty of suspicion, but no definitive proof of anything. She was going to have to continue trailing him for a while longer until he gave her something solid to take back to Lois.

Clark drove straight to the Daily Planet and into the building's underground lot. Ellen located a nearby lot, parked her car, and walked back toward the newspaper offices. She needed to make sure that Clark had gone to his office, but she couldn't let him know she was watching him. What was the woman's name? Candy something; that was it.

She had inadvertently left her cellular phone in the charger, this morning, but there was a pay phone not far from the Daily Planet. She would give this "Candy" a call.

Clark stood back to let Candy exit the elevator first and followed her out.

Perry White was standing beside the Sports desk, speaking to a slender man whom he recognized as Detective Wolff of the Metro PD. As he followed the columnist down the ramp to the newsroom floor, Perry nodded in his direction and said something to the detective. The man turned.

"Candy! Clark!" Their editor's voice rose above the buzz of conversation that filled the room. "Come into my office a minute."

"Wonder if they've found out anything," he remarked to her as they threaded their way through the maze of desks toward their boss's office.

"I hope so," Candy said.

Perry had reached his office before they did and held the door for Candy. When the door closed behind them, Wolff took a seat on the battered couch that stood against one wall of the office and indicated that they should sit.

"What's going on?" Clark asked.

"I know you gave Ms. Valenzuela a ride home last night, Clark," Wolff said. "Olsen said you were going to give her a lift this morning, too?"

"Yes," Clark said. "What's going on?"

"Zymack put me in charge of this stalker thing of Ms. Valenzuela's," Wolff told them. "We're not sure this is connected, but it may very well be. I understand you went to the thing at the Governor's last night, Ms. Valenzuela. You had a date?"

"Yes," Candy said. "I went with Daryl Johnson; he's one of the Assistant Governor's staff."

"Was," Wolff said. "He was found this morning in his car, out on Route 7. He'd been shot. Exactly when did you see him last, Ms. Valenzuela?"

(tbc)

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.