Wedding Consequences: 8/?
by Nan Smith

Previously:

"Helicopter!" Lois said.

"Yeah." Clark looked up. The thick canopy of pines cut off any possibility of them signaling for help. They looked at each other in frustration.

"Well, if someone's hunting for us, they're bound to see the plane," Lois said, after a moment. "It's right out in the open. I said in the note that we were following the stream, downhill. They ought to be able to track us down."

"Yeah." Clark glanced upward again. "I guess the only thing we can do is keep on going."

The beat of the rotors faded as they listened, and again only the whisper of the pine trees and the occasional birdcall broke the silence. They started onward once more, both straining their ears for any indication of the returning aircraft, but the sounds didn't repeat themselves. Lois sighed.

"I always wondered why searchers had such trouble finding people lost in the wilderness. Now I know."

"Believe me, it's difficult," Clark said. "Superman has participated in searches like that. At least if they find the plane, they'll know to follow the stream. That's a big help right there."

They were still in the trees when darkness began to fall. In the deep shade of the evergreens, there was no possibility of using Lois's magnifying glass to start a fire, so after a short debate, they decided to camp near the stream, using a clump of the smaller fir trees for shelter. It wasn't the ideal situation, but at least, as Clark pointed out, surrounded by the Christmassy evergreens, nothing dangerous would be able to reach them without alerting them to its presence.

It was while they were setting up their camp that Clark heard the sound of voices.

And now, Part 8:

"Clark," Lois whispered, "do you hear something?"

He nodded and held a finger to his lips. They froze, listening.

"... Have to be somewhere along here," a familiar voice said. "They said they were following the stream. How far could they get in two days, anyhow?"

Clark saw Lois's eyebrows fly up. It was the voice of their erstwhile pilot, and from the sound, the man was approaching from downstream.

"Maybe something ate 'em," a grumpy voice answered. "Besides, who knew either one of 'em could land that crate? If the old bat had done her homework, she'd have known it and you coulda just shot 'em."

"Nope. No shooting," the voice of the pilot said. "When she shows up dead, there can't be any way anybody can prove for sure it wasn't an accident. Unless you want to explain to the Mrs. why she can't get the money back. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to do that."

A disgusted grunt. "So we have to plow through this jungle hunting for them?"

"If you want to stay alive, yeah." The pilot's voice held a faint chill. "I like living, and that depends on Lois Luthor's death." The voice was growing closer. A flashlight flickered indistinctly through the pine needles of the surrounding trees. "Look, we're not going to get much farther tonight. It's getting so dark, they've probably already stopped anyway. Let's find a clearing and set up camp."

"What if an animal finds us?"

"We'll light a fire, moron. Animals are scared of fire."

"I'd rather go back to the chopper."

"Then we'd have to plow through all this in the morning, if we could even find the thing in the dark."

Clark wrapped an arm around Lois and they crouched down as the crunching of feet passed, barely five feet from their hiding place. The pilot didn't speak, but the other man continued to grumble. The footsteps continued on in the direction from which Lois and Clark had come.

"There's a spot," the pilot's voice said suddenly. "We'll camp there."

"I don't like it," the second voice said. "It's too close to the water. It's going to be cold."

"You think you can find a better one?" the pilot asked. "Look, it's a clearing. This is as good as we're likely to get. We're not going to be cold in sleeping bags."

More grumbling. "Fine, we'll camp here. You know anything about building a fire?"

"Sure. I barbecue all the time," the pilot said sarcastically. "It's not exactly rocket science."

From somewhere not far away, Clark heard a screech and a sudden chattering. Some night bird, he thought. He'd heard such noises frequently when he had gone camping with his parents.

"What the blazes was that?" the pilot demanded.

"Some kind of animal," the other man said. "Hurry up, let's get a fire lit. You said animals are scared of fire."

"Okay. Get me some wood."

"Are you nuts? Whatever made that noise is out there."

"It was out there before you heard it, too," the pilot said. "You've got a gun. Just gets some dry sticks and stuff. You won't have to go far."

"Like hell! If I'm going out there in that stuff, you're going with me. I can't carry wood and shoot at the same time."

A four-letter word. "Fine! Come on big brave hero. I'll protect your butt for you while you get the branches."

The voices grew fainter as the men apparently went in search of fuel for their fire. Lois stood up. "They're going back the way we came," she whispered. "Let's get out of here!"

As quietly as they could manage, they pushed their way out of the little grove of evergreens. Clark took the lead, holding Lois's hand, and they made their way slowly downstream, trying to make as little noise as possible.

He strained his ears, listening for the sound of footsteps, any indication that the men might be coming back, but there were none. Once, he heard what sounded like a scream, a long distance off to their right, but concluded that it was unlikely to be the hunters.

"What was that?" Lois whispered. "It sounded like a scream!"

"I don't think so," Clark said. "I think it was an animal."

"What kind of animal makes a noise like that?"

Clark was slow to answer. "I think it might be a puma," he said, reluctantly.

"A *puma*? You mean a mountain lion?"

"Maybe. Maybe it was just a bird or something."

"Do they have pumas around here?"

"I think so," he said. "It was a long way off."

"I hope it *stays* a long way off!"

Twice more they heard the scream, but it didn't seem to be getting any closer. Still, the back of Clark's neck prickled. He sincerely didn't want to run into any of the larger wildlife around the area. The men were enough to have to deal with without adding any large feline carnivores to the mix. Probably the big cat wouldn't bother them, he thought. He had always heard that the predators didn't bother humans unless they were starving or something, but they couldn't be sure of it, and he didn't want to test the theory.

It was slow going, but gradually they left the men and their campsite behind them. Neither of them said another word. In the woods like this, they couldn't know how far sound might carry, but considering the conversation between the men hunting for them, it could be heard at a considerable distance. It was just as well that the two men evidently weren't experienced woodsmen.

Lois followed him, one hand clasped in his. She was certainly as tired as he was, but she offered no complaint, nor did she let go of his hand as they trudged doggedly along.

"How can you tell where we're going?" Lois whispered finally. "I can't see a thing."

"My night sight must be better than yours," Clark said. "I can see -- some, anyway. Come on; the farther we get away from those guys, the better. You heard what they said."

"Yeah." She was quiet again as they crept slowly onward. An hour passed, and then another. The gurgling little stream was their guide, and also covered the faint sounds they made, but it was the awareness that Lois was literally reeling on her feet with sheer fatigue that caused him to finally stop.

"I think we're all right, here," he said.

She shook her head. "Like you said, the farther away we get from those guys the better," she said. "Besides, they said there was a helicopter this way. Maybe the one we heard earlier."

"Lois, I don't know how to fly a helicopter."

"I know that," she said, impatiently, "but a helicopter has a radio, doesn't it? We can call for help!"

"We could miss it in the dark," he whispered, instinctively keeping his voice down.

"You can't land a helicopter in the trees!" she shot back. "It has to be out in the open somewhere!"

"I know, but it's still pretty dark, even in the open," he countered. "The moon has set by now. Besides, we don't know how much farther we have to go. Anyway," he added, knowing full well that Mad Dog Lane would never admit weakness on her own account, and driven to his last line of defense, "I'm tired."

"Oh!" Her hand flew to her mouth. "I forgot! Do you feel okay, Clark? I shouldn't have let you go on so long without resting!"

"No, I'm all right," he assured her, aware of a small twinge of guilt at his subterfuge, "but I really think we're safe for now. Let's find a place with some cover, just in case they come back, or there are more searchers in the vicinity."

In the dimness, he saw her bite her lip and then nod. "You're right. We'll be better able to handle things by daylight, anyhow. Let's find a place like we had back there."

They found a thick patch of evergreens a short distance from the stream, and crawled into the middle of it. It gave them safe, albeit somewhat scratchy cover, and lying on a layer of pine needles, surrounded by a windbreak of pine trees was, in Clark's opinion, a good deal more desirable than sleeping in the open. The heavy scent of the evergreens all about was almost intoxicating. As they curled up together for warmth, Lois turned and snuggled into the curve of his body as if it was the most natural thing in the world, and he put his arms around her. The thought occurred to him that, although he would be glad when they were rescued and safe, he was going to miss this part of their adventure when it was over.

"G'night, Clark," she whispered. The last part of his name was interrupted by a yawn.

"Good night, Lois," he whispered. "Sleep well."

As he had the day before, Clark awoke with the dawn. The morning chorus of the local bird life was going full blast, and the sky through the trees was ruddy with sunrise. The trees were thinner here, and between the gaps in the spreading evergreens above him, he could see little pink scudding clouds painted gold on one side with the rays of the morning sun. The mist off the stream wasn't as thick as it had been the morning before, either, and although there was still a distinct bite to the air, the patches of sunshine were warm on his face.

Lois was curled tightly against him, her face inches from his. Her hair was tangled and adorned with pieces of foliage and dead twigs, and muddy streaks marked her face, but he found himself staring at her and marveling at how beautiful she was. He smiled at the thought. Yep, he had it bad, all right, but then Lois would probably look beautiful even after losing at mud-wrestling -- at least in his opinion. Not that Mad Dog Lane would be likely to lose such a contest.

It was early yet, he thought, and considering how tired she had been the night before, it would be just as well if she slept a little longer. He lay still, soaking up the warmth of the sunlight. With the small trees all around them, even someone standing five feet away would be unable to see them unless he knew exactly where to look.

Which was fortunate, he realized, seconds later, when he heard the footsteps.

It was a single person, he thought. Carefully, he placed a hand lightly over Lois's mouth to muffle any outcry and shook her shoulder.

The precaution had been unnecessary. She opened her eyes, raised a hand to where his covered her mouth, and he could feel her close her lips tightly. He touched his own lips with a forefinger.

She gave the slightest of nods and turned her head cautiously toward the sounds.

The screen of evergreen branches between them and whoever was approaching was thick enough to give them cover. Clark held his breath as the footsteps came within feet of their hiding place and went on past. Neither of them moved. When the sound of the footsteps had disappeared, Lois sat up and parted the branches to look out.

"Nobody." She mouthed the word. "Come on."

Quickly and quietly, they left their thicket. The heavy carpet of pine needles left few traces of the passerby. Lois turned downstream again, and Clark followed.

The trees were thinning noticeably as they went, and within moments, they had reached the edge of the pine forest. A field of waving grass stretched before them. The little stream flowed out into the open, and some distance away, Clark could see some kind of hoofed animals, most probably deer, grazing. As he watched, several of the animals' heads came up, and an instant later the entire herd was bounding away. But what caught his attention was situated five hundred yards away and to his left, on a flat, grassy area. The helicopter looked vastly out of place in the pastoral setting. It was unoccupied, its rotors motionless, and its white sides reflected the pink light of the rising sun.

Neither of them made a move, but Lois looked back over her shoulder. There was no sign of whoever had passed their hiding place bare moments ago, but he was bound to be back shortly. Clark was evidently thinking the same thing, because he beckoned to her silently, and together they moved a short distance away from the water, skirting the edge of the field, until they were concealed by piney shrubs and yet could see anyone who emerged from the trees near the stream.

"What do we do now?" Clark asked.

"I don't see anything about Search and Rescue, or Forest Service on that, do you?" Lois asked, jerking a thumb at the aircraft.

Clark shook his head. "It's a private helicopter. It's part of the LexCorp fleet. See the circle with the LL logo on the door?"

Lois squinted. "I think so. How did you see that? I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out."

"I've seen them before, around Metropolis."

"When? I've never seen them."

"In the air," Clark specified. "I've passed them, now and then." He glanced at the copter. "Careless of them to use one of their own."

"Not necessarily." Lois hesitated, momentarily embarrassed that she had forgotten for a time that she was talking to Superman. "Maybe it's one based in the area. Lex had offices all over the country. Maybe they're 'helping' to hunt for us. There's probably some kind of search for the plane, by now, and they'd have a much better idea where we went down than anyone else." She chewed her lip, thinking. "Do you know anything about operating one of the radios on these things?"

"Sure," Clark said. "I've used them -- in the course of my other job."

"Yeah, I guess you would have." Naturally, Superman would have used radios like the one in the copter before. "Can you use it to call for help?"

He nodded.

"Good. Here's what we'll do ..."

Lenny Bryce was bored, to say the least. What the devil was he supposed to do for hours on end, babysitting a helicopter in the middle of nowhere until George and Mike tracked down Lois Luthor and her partner -- what was his name? Kent; that was it, although he didn't give two hoots about the guy's name, actually. Why hadn't he had the sense to at least bring along a Game Boy or something to pass the time? He'd worked out the fatal accident that was going to cause the heiress's unfortunate death in the crash of the airplane. This time when they took it up they would see to it that the two passengers didn't have a chance to land it safely. No one would be able to tell that the bumps on their heads hadn't been sustained in the crash.

Finished with his immediate business, he followed the stream out into the sunlight again, squinting at the unfamiliar brightness. The sooner they got this particular assignment settled, the better, he decided. Then Lenny could get back to his normal haunts in the smoky back rooms and plush business offices of Metropolis, and the very lucrative job he did as an enforcer for the Boss.

Of course, the Boss was dead, but that didn't matter. There was already a new Boss giving the orders. This Boss was a woman, but from the little that Lenny had seen, she was certainly due every ounce of respect that he had once given to Lex Luthor. This new Boss was to be feared as much as the old.

He barely glanced at the copter as he waded into the hip-high grass, following the trampled trail he had made in his trip to the forest line. He hated the thing. It was cramped and noisy, and besides, though he would never admit it to anyone, he was afraid of flying.

There was something wrong with the copter, he thought as he approached. There was someone standing next to it. At first, he thought it was one of his companions, but as he drew nearer he could see that it was no one he knew. Instinctively, his hand sought the handgun in its shoulder holster under his jacket.

The other man was leaning against the body of the copter, his arms folded casually across his chest, and from inside, Lenny could hear the sound of official voices issuing from the radio, which he knew very well had not been turned on when he left.

"Who the hell are you?" he demanded.

"Clark Kent," the man said. "Hope you don't mind. I used your radio to call for help."

Lenny's instincts overrode his good sense, and he pulled out his gun. "That was a big mistake," he said.

Kent raised an eyebrow, eyeing the weapon. "The Mrs. wouldn't like it if you shoot me," he said calmly. "Remember? They want it to look like an accident. If it doesn't, the money goes to Lois Luthor's heirs, not to the beneficiaries in Luthor's will. Do you really want to explain that to her? She'll skin you alive -- if you're lucky."

Lenny gaped at him. The Mrs.? What did Kent know about her?

It was the last clear thought he had for some time. Something hit him across the back of the neck and he pitched forward, the gun spinning to the ground. By the time he was thinking clearly again he was on his face in the dirt and his hands were tied behind him with a leather belt. Another belt around his ankles confined his feet and Lois Luthor was standing beside Kent, rubbing the edge of her right hand.

"Nice work," Kent said. "Maybe I should take up Karate, too."

"Wouldn't hurt," she said. "How long before the cavalry gets here?"

"Pretty soon," Kent said. "They're tracking the signal."

"Why don't you go back and talk to them," she said. She nudged Lenny's leg with the toe of her muddy shoe. "Tell them we've got a small complication."

(tbc)

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.