Table of Contents

From Part 11:

Lois tossed her head. “How’s this for a headline: Award-Winning Reporter Watches her Home Burn? And, In Freak Coincidence, Also Has Desk Stolen?”

He gave her a sympathetic, but impatient look. “You know, Lois, anyone else but you would be asking for the rest of the day off to deal with insurance companies and find somewhere to stay tonight.”

She shrugged. “If I don’t have anywhere else to go, I can pull an all-nighter here. So what? And I already called the insurance company before I got back here. There’s nothing more I can do until their assessor gets back to me. So I might as well work.”

Leaving Perry’s office, she headed for the conference room, spotting Jimmy on her way and dragging him along with her. No matter how long it took, and how many long shots she made him check out, she was going to get to the bottom of the fire.

No-one made Lois Lane homeless without paying the penalty.

Now read on...

It was early afternoon by the time Clark made it back to the newsroom; he’d stayed around as long as possible once the fire was out, offering his help to the investigators searching for possible clues as to the cause of the blaze. He’d also taken a quick look around inside what had once been Lois’s apartment, looking to see if, despite what he’d told her, there was anything which could be saved.

He’d found something he knew she would be glad to have. Blackened by smoke and slightly melted at the edges, her Kerth awards had survived the inferno. He’d smuggled them out of the building - it wasn’t as if they’d be vital pieces of evidence in any case - and cleaned them up as best he could. They were safely stored in his apartment; he’d give them back to her later.

As far as getting to the bottom of the fire was concerned, he was still none the wiser as to a motive, but arson had been confirmed. Someone had got into the building earlier that morning - how the person had got past the security and construction workers baffled Clark - and had left containers of paraffin in a few strategic locations. The arsonist must also have poured the fuel over the furniture in a first-floor room and set it alight. The fire’s ferocious spread had been guaranteed by the containers of paraffin elsewhere.

Arson. Someone had deliberately burned down Lois’s apartment building. But why?

The police were already looking into possible causes, and Clark intended to call the officer in charge once he’d updated Lois and found out what, if anything, Jimmy had found for them. He was beginning to think in different directions, since he was now very sure that an insurance payout couldn’t possibly be a motive. The fire was so obviously deliberate that there would be no question at all of a payment.

Had the arsonist wanted to kill someone? And yet that didn’t make sense; the building had been empty apart from construction workers, who had got out as soon as the fire had started. Someone had raised the alarm very quickly and all of the workers had been safely evacuated. Yesterday’s explosion had ensured that none of the tenants was inside.

Nothing made sense.

It had even crossed his mind to wonder whether Lois herself could be the target. And yet that didn’t make sense either. She hadn’t been in the apartment at the time - at either time. Anyone who knew her schedule would know that she was never home during the day.

Someone worried about a story she was working on, who wanted to destroy her notes? But again, her notes hadn’t been in the apartment - although, he reminded himself, no-one else would necessarily know that. But anyway, why would anyone assume that her story notes would be in her apartment? Most reporters kept their papers at their workplace; someone would have to know Lois very well to be aware that she, unusually, kept copies of important information at home.

As he walked out of the elevator and into the newsroom, therefore, he was at a complete loss.

The first person he saw was a man he had never expected to see on the newsroom floor of the Daily Planet.

Lex Luthor, immaculately-dressed as always, was standing at the top of the small flight of steps, looking around him. Clark had to force himself to suppress the automatic recoil he felt on seeing the billionaire; it definitely wasn’t a good idea to give Luthor any kind of clue that he didn’t like the man.

“Mr Luthor,” he said calmly. “Can I help you?”

“Ah...” Luthor turned slowly around to face him, his expression bland. “Clark Kent, isn’t it? By the way, I did enjoy that article of yours on the so-called invisible man. That was a stylish piece of writing, even if it did hint at my role - or rather, my company’s role - in firing that man in the first place,” he added in a self-deprecating manner which irritated Clark intensely.

Clark gave a slight shrug and made himself smile. “It’s a journalist’s duty to report the truth. And, of course, you did get some good publicity out of it. You’ll have noticed that I included the fact that you offered him his job back?”

Luthor inclined his head, his expression - at least in Clark’s opinion - smugly satisfied. “Anyway,” he continued, “I’m actually looking for Lois. Is she here?”

Clark glanced around, not at all happy at the thought of Luthor being in search of his partner. All the same, he reminded himself, they were investigating the man. And Lois had argued very persuasively in favour of presenting herself as completely lacking in any suspicions where Luthor was concerned.

She wasn’t anywhere on the newsroom floor, he noticed, and wondered if she’d gone to sort out her insurance details. But then he realised that the conference room was in use, and that its occupant was his partner. That was as good a place as any, he supposed, turning back to Luthor. “She’s over there. I’ll take you to her.”

Luthor followed him across the newsroom floor, making no attempt at social conversation. Once Clark opened the conference-room door, and before he had a chance to speak to Lois, his companion pushed past him.

“My dear Lois!” Luthor said effusively. “I just heard a few minutes ago - how appalling! You must be devastated. And I understand that the police believe it’s arson?”

Lois, seated at the table surrounded by papers and with Jimmy next to her, looked up in surprise. “Lex! Oh, and Clark - have you just got back?”

“Yes,” Clark confirmed. “And Mr Luthor’s right - it is confirmed as arson. The chief fire officer told me himself.”

She shrugged. “It’s only what we expected.” Grimacing briefly, she then turned her attention back to Luthor. “Thanks for the sympathy, Lex. But you really didn’t need to come all the way down here for that, though I appreciate the thought.”

“Actually, I came to offer my help,” he said smoothly. “I couldn’t bear the thought of your being homeless, Lois. And although I’m sure that some temporary arrangements will be made for the building’s tenants, I can imagine that you would hate to have to stay in a hotel indefinitely. I certainly would, in your position. It so happens that I own, through one of my property companies, a couple of apartment buildings, and I’ve come to offer you the use of an apartment in one of them.” He smiled, somewhat patronisingly in Clark’s opinion. “The building is on Mercer Avenue - perhaps you know it? There is a vacant apartment on the penthouse floor.”

Mercer Avenue. Only one of the most exclusive residential addresses in the downtown area of Metropolis, Clark noted sourly. Overlooking the river, and in an area boasting several exclusive restaurants, upmarket shops and the lowest crime-rate in the city. Apartments there, whether for rental or purchase, were far beyond the reach of anyone on his or even Lois’s salary.

He gave Lois a wary glance. He could understand it if she were tempted by the offer, but he couldn’t bear the thought of her being indebted to Lex Luthor in any way. As well as that, he’d planned a solution of his own to her accommodation problem, and he felt as if Luthor had just cut the ground out from under him.

He’d decided, flying back from the Planet, that he was going to invite her to move in with him. For as long as she wanted - until she found a new apartment, until they decided that they couldn’t stand living with each other any more; whatever. Sure, he’d had qualms about the possibility of her hearing him if he had a nightmare, but he’d convinced himself that that wouldn’t be a problem. Not for much longer, anyway. He was going to get himself sorted out - he was going to talk to his parents, and make himself get over what had happened to them.

And he was looking forward to having Lois around; seeing her at home as well as at work, having her company over breakfast and last thing at night. Okay, part of it was going to be frustrating, in that it would only remind him of what he couldn’t have - but he’d reconciled himself to that. And having Lois as a friend and an apartment-mate would make his life pretty terrific.

But now, how could his modest apartment on Clinton Street - which she’d have to share with him - possibly compete with what was sure to be a luxury penthouse on Mercer Avenue?

Lois was smiling at Luthor, an expression of genuine pleasure on her face. Clark kept looking at her, willing her to look at him and read his expression, to understand that he wanted her to reject Luthor’s offer.

She didn’t look at him. Instead, she got to her feet and went over to the billionaire, reaching out to touch his sleeve. “That’s incredibly kind of you, Lex. I really do appreciate it. It’s extremely thoughtful.”

“Not at all, Lois,” Luthor said smoothly. “It’s little enough to do for someone I consider a friend.”

“As I said, it’s very sweet of you.” Lois smiled again, and then moved across to stand beside Clark, sliding her hand through his arm. “But it isn’t necessary. I’m going to stay with Clark until I have something permanent sorted out.”

She was? Clark covered her hand with his, not sure whether she was deliberately sending Luthor a signal about a supposed relationship between the two of them, but determined to play along in any case. “Yes, that’s right,” he confirmed, giving Luthor a smile which was every bit as false as the one the other man was offering in return. “My apartment is Lois’s for as long as she wants it.”

“Well, if you’re sure, Lois - but the apartment on Mercer Avenue would be yours for as long as you want it, too. And if you liked it, I’m sure we could come to some arrangement about rent, once your insurance claim is sorted out.” He gave an expansive smile. “You should at least come and have a look at it. I’m sure Mr Kent’s apartment is very nice,” he added patronisingly. “But this place is very large, and it has the most amazing views across the river. And I believe that one of the rooms is fully equipped as an office, with telephone and fax facilities and even a dedicated Internet line. You could even work there if you wished.”

Luthor was being extremely persuasive, Clark thought. This was more than just doing Lois a favour because he felt sorry for her predicament. Though, of course, if the man really was sexually interested in Lois, which he suspected, then how better to get into her good graces than by making a grand gesture such as this? And it would also make her feel some sense of obligation towards him - especially if she were to take him up on his offer to rent the apartment at whatever preferential rate he offered her.

Was that what was behind the offer? An attempt to make Lois feel beholden to him? Or was there something else?

There was something suspicious here, and Clark couldn't quite figure out what it was. Perhaps, he thought, he should take a look at this apartment himself later...

“That all sounds wonderful, Lex,” Lois was saying, and at the same time she released Clark’s arm. He felt her absence immediately. “You’re right, perhaps I should take a look at it. When would be convenient? Should I just go over and tell the concierge that you sent me?”

Luthor’s smile held a note of triumph. “I’ll take you, of course. And as for when - there’s no time like the present, is there?”

Lois glanced at the papers on the table, and at Jimmy, who was following the conversation with great interest, Clark saw. “I guess I could spare the time now,” she said. “How about you, Clark? Do you have time to come with me?”

Luthor hadn’t expected that, Clark saw, and he suppressed a grin. “I don’t see why not,” he told Lois, still puzzled as to her motive but again willing to follow her lead.

“Great!” She gave both of them a dazzling smile. “Would you mind waiting for me by the elevator? I need to -” She made a gesture roughly in the direction of the ladies’ room.

“Naturally,” Luthor said smoothly. Crossing to the door, he added, “After you, Lois.”

Clark followed Luthor to the elevator area, watching Lois out of the corner of his eye as she made her way to the ladies’ room. She was up to something; he knew it. He just hadn’t figured out what it was...

...and then he realised, as her voice, soft but insistent, penetrated his powerful hearing. Clark? I hope you can hear me. I’m just going to assume you can.

He glanced idly at Luthor; the other man was studying his cuff, clearly ignoring Clark’s presence. So that was what Lois had been up to - and it was very clever of her, he thought, composing his features and assuming a bland expression as he waited for Lois to continue.

Don’t worry. I have no intention of taking him up on his offer. But it’s suspicious, isn’t it? I don’t have a clue what’s going on here, but he was pretty darned keen on getting me to agree to move into this apartment of his. And that’s why I want to take a look at it. Actually, I mean I want you to take a look at it. See if you can figure out why he wants me there.

Why Luthor wanted Lois there...

Was that the missing link?

Clark forced strict control over himself as the question occurred to him. Luthor wanted Lois installed in an apartment he owned. Why? And was that the explanation for the arson attack on her building?

Or was he just reaching?

No. He had to be reaching. It all seemed far too clumsy for a man of Luthor’s Machiavellian nature. The sabotage, and then the arson, were far too obvious. Far more likely that Luthor had just seen an opportunity and seized it. He thought that it might be useful to have Lois living in an apartment he owned. Clark couldn’t figure out why, but Lois was right: stupid to miss the opportunity to check the place out.

...so we’ll go there with him, take a look around, and then I’ll find a way to decline. Okay? I’m coming out now.

And the voice murmuring to him abruptly stopped.

Clever Lois, Clark thought again. She had the quickest brain of anyone he knew. While he’d been growling inside at Luthor’s audacity, she’d been trying to figure out why - and working out the most effective means at their disposal of finding out. Which proved, of course, that despite her occasional slips she really hadn’t forgotten who he was and what he could do. She’d taken her knowledge of his abilities on board and built it into her calculations as a matter of routine. She’d realised that, if there was anything odd about the apartment, he’d be able to figure it out - and even more impressive was the way she’d gone about explaining her motive to him.

He gave her a mental two thumbs up, and just then he saw her approaching them, all faintly-embarrassed smiles for having detained the very important and extremely busy Lex Luthor while she went to the bathroom. Nice one, partner! he silently told her, vowing to repeat it aloud to her later.

...tbc

Just a fly-by! *waves*