Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: stephnachia Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 02:33 PM
So... I'm just browsing around and what do I come accross.. some letters that were written to a newspaper. And yet, the headlines seem eerily familiar to me. Why do I feel like I've seen these headlines before?

Any takers?

EDIT: Link taken down & actual letters posted below...

Letters to the editor

Wall of Sound

Home is where hurt is, but we can mend fences and save our Sound

Editor, The Times:

"Failing our Sound" [Times special report, May 11-14], although enlightening for an East Coast transplant, was also uncomfortably familiar. Having witnessed similar situations in my previous communities over the years and the consequences for those that were not aggressive enough in protecting their natural treasures, I have only one message: If you fail in protecting your environment from threats like this now, you will not have the option to fix it later.

Now that I am also a Washingtonian, I am personally doing what I can to impact this situation by making my voice heard. I have joined such advocacy groups as Environment Washington and People for Puget Sound, and supported them as best I can manage. I suggest you do the same if you want Washington to stay the way you remember it, or have dreams of sharing the environment of your childhood with your children one day.

— Adrien Renaud, Seattle

Let's call development what it really is: a lethal weapon

Development around Puget Sound has nearly doubled in the past 20 years, posing a serious threat to marine life and ourselves. This development, both industrial and residential, as featured in the May 11 story "How we're failing our Sound," disrupts the natural flow of water, preventing absorption and creating toxic runoff in the form of stormwater.

The resulting declination in marine life is dire; our treasured salmon population is at 10 percent of its historical abundance and the orca population has dropped by 20 percent just in the past 13 years.

Fortunately, with united action, we can reverse these trends. The Puget Sound Partnership is currently creating a plan to clean up the Sound. It is urgent that we support it and make recommendations to ensure a strong and viable plan to clean up Puget Sound — permanently.

— Keegan Conway, Mercer Island

Ordinary people do have a voice

No one in Louisiana would dispute that toxic water has a huge impact on the health of marine life and people. It's a wonder that those who live near Puget Sound are content to dump toxins in it, ignoring the immense danger the effects have on the homes of previously teeming life there.

As a resident of San Juan Island and West Seattle, I consistently see the effects that development and industrial pollution have on the quality of life in the Sound and for us. Developers claim to have a significant hold on our escape from economic recession, threatening its further decline as home prices on the shoreline rise.

We do not get to vote on these issues, and decisions are being made about the cultural priorities of Washington residents. The Puget Sound Partnership is one of the last great efforts to enact strong legislation that protects marine life like our orcas, a defining icon of the Pacific Northwest. Washingtonians need to get involved by lending an equally powerful voice to the Partnership for Puget Sound as individuals, through grass-roots efforts, and through legislators, as we compete for our priorities for a Puget Sound we can't afford to lose.

— Michelle Lunicke, Seattle

Shadow of a doubt cast on heart of the matter

On May 11, The Times began a four-part series on how growth is undermining the health of Puget Sound. Growth, the heart of the problem, was accepted as a given, presumably indefinitely.

We were told, "If we want to succeed, we have to change how we grow." We were also told, "Even the newest engineering standards ... aren't enough to stop the [environmental] damage." No incompatibility was recognized between the two statements, despite the fact that the mathematics of population growth and its adverse environmental consequences are inexorable and irrefutable.

Environmental damage caused by poorly regulated growth will be duplicated even when growth is strictly regulated — it will just take longer.

Until we recognize that growth must defer to population stability as a necessary (though not sufficient) condition for a satisfactorily sustainable future, we exhibit what Garrett Hardin dubs "The ostrich factor." It's time to pull our heads out of the sand.

— George Macinko, Ellensburg
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 02:54 PM
Is that by any chance where your pink twin works? wink
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 03:17 PM
Is that by any chance where your pink twin works?
I cannot say where my pink twin works. Though I will say it smells really bad and rhymes with Shewage Wreclamation Phacility. wink

BTW, I love your new avatar gr8! Though I will miss Elvis popping up... <sniff>
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 03:21 PM
BTW, I love your new avatar gr8! Though I will miss Elvis popping up... <sniff>
He's having a rest in photobucket at the mo. I got bored of him, poor guy. smile
Posted By: Rona V. Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 06:32 PM
Oh that's just great! Not one, not two, but all four of them!
Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 06:33 PM
I knoooow who diiiid it! laugh
Posted By: TOC Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 07:16 PM
Fan-LnC-tastic!!! clap

Ann
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 08:04 PM
That is too funny! I think a certain Editor of ours may have had a hand in it... wink
Posted By: carolm Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 08:43 PM
Or to quote a very dear friend wink when I sent her the link:

WTF???
There's no way that person isn't a folc

Or something to that effect.
Carol
Posted By: BanAnna Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 09:00 PM
LOL Carol! Yes, I believe those were my exact words. laugh

~Anna
Posted By: carolm Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 09:09 PM
Your exact words:

WTF????!!!!
there's no way that person is not a folc
that's WAY too much of a coincednece
Carol [who would like to point out the spelling of coincidence wink ]
Posted By: C_A Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/28/08 11:09 PM
That is too funny! I think a certain Editor of ours may have had a hand in it...
My thinking exactly. Come on, Jenn, own up! laugh

That is too awesome. hail
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 12:28 AM
rotflol Oh that is so funny!
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 01:16 AM
laugh

I missed that when I read the paper, If I haven't disposed it yet, I'll find it (if it's in the paper version)and frame it wink

~ From Seattle.
Posted By: EditorJax Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 02:00 AM
<strolls in>

You rang? laugh

I am owning up to NOTHING.

I, uh, don't even have a job. I write nfic for a living.

And technically, it was five, not four. The letters header was "Wall of Sound."

Um, at least that's what the real writer of those headlines told me.
Posted By: Lisamaree, the Evil Kiwi Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 02:12 AM
oh my god.. that is fracking awesome!!!

Jenn... who is the OTHER LnC fan who works there? Coz damn! They deserve an award!!! And you should invite them into FoLCdom.

Awesome stuff... I loooove it!!
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 02:28 AM
HA!!! That is too awesome laugh Either we DO have a folc running amok, or those monkeys finally wrote that one book.
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 03:03 AM
Hm. Could we nominate the responsible editor for an alt-Kerth? As in 'best editing' or something?
Posted By: Rona V. Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 07:46 AM
And technically, it was five, not four. The letters header was "Wall of Sound."
Oops. That's exactly what happens when I read a little too fast. laugh
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 08:18 AM
Jenn you are sooo busted!
thumbsup
And darn clever, too wink
Posted By: Olive Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 11:44 AM
rotflol that's awesome!!!
Posted By: GuineaPants Re: Strange Coincidence?? - 05/29/08 01:21 PM
I'm with Lara Joelle Kent here. Jen should so be nominated for an alt-Kerth for best editing. Because it is cool enough to get Kerthed for...in my opinion.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards