Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: MaraElaineKent Bananas and the Princess Bride - 04/11/06 08:30 AM
1) In Target Jimmy Olsen, Lois says "Mmm, bananas" when she was psych major (who I loved by the way and wish had been around longer). But then when she and Clark were trapped on the island by Spencer Spencer, she said she hated bananas. Was this just her being irrational in the face of her discomfort or a mistake in continuity on the part of the writers?

2) Ok, did I miss something? Why does everyone insist the Princess Bride is Clark's favorite movie? I don't get it; I don't remember anyone mentioning that in the series, so is it a fanfic-verse thing?
Posted By: MaraElaineKent Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 04/11/06 08:31 AM
oops! my bad. I meant "when she was talking to the psych major"
Posted By: LabRat Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 04/11/06 10:26 AM
2) Ok, did I miss something? Why does everyone insist the Princess Bride is Clark's favorite movie? I don't get it; I don't remember anyone mentioning that in the series, so is it a fanfic-verse thing?
No idea for no. 1, but this is because at one point in an interview, Dean Cain said TPB was his favourite movie and, so, many authors thereafter decided it must be Clark's, too. wink

It's become something of a cliche by this point, of course.

LabRat smile
Posted By: sheilah Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 04/11/06 09:01 PM
Since Lois and Sarah were talking about chocolate ice cream with bananas, and Clark was offering a plain, roasted banana, I didn't have a problem with a concept. As a child, I loved raw bananas and hated cooked ones, but there were very few things I wouldn't eat with chocolate. wink
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 04/11/06 09:13 PM
Actually he offered her raw bananas when he first found them and that's when she said it. Then again if your alternative is snakes, lizards and bugs I'd take bananas over them any day. Note though I actually can stand banana as a fruit on it's own however, banana smoothies, banana splits or anything else with banana in it I don't like it.
Posted By: Arawn Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 04/12/06 04:43 PM
Interesting. I recall reading a fic with that theme. I assumed it was just a clever twist. With Clark's wry humor it's seems fitting that he appreciates a story about a masked stranger on a quest for his true love that doesn't know who he is.
Posted By: Matrix Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 05/12/06 02:10 PM
I agree on the banana thing. I'll eat them if I have too - by themselves - but if you offer me one to dip in chocolate dipping sauce or to put over icecream...then yahoo, I'll gobble them down. blush

Lois may love the taste of banana combined with her favorite - chocolate - but not like bananas by themselves.

That's so funny about the Princess Bride thing. Tee hee, that's one of my favorite movies too - saw it in 5th grade. And I think Arawn's right, it would be a fitting movie for Clark to like - a man on a quest to save his love, who doesn't know who he really is. Hee hee. wink
Posted By: HatMan Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 05/12/06 02:52 PM
Banannas are great! They're bright and sweet and they make awesome vids!

Oh, wait. You meant bananas. I like those, too. smile

I never really thought about the continuity issue, but:

1. Frozen bananas taste a lot different than raw ones.

2. Bananas as an ice cream topping are a lot different than whole fruit.

3. My first thought when I saw the post above was that when you say "banana" to a "psych major" (especially when the whole thing is already a metaphor for a potential boyfriend), fruit may not really be what's on the table.

4. Lois is Top Banana. We all know that. It is up to her to decide whether or not her loyal subjects are appealing.

Paul
Posted By: malu Re: Bananas and the Princess Bride - 05/12/06 03:36 PM
I agree with Paul on item 3. laugh

malu

P.S.: "The Princess Bride" has become one of my favorite stories (I say "stories" because I like the book AND the movie wink ).
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards