Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: VirginiaR Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/08/14 07:15 PM
We've started quite a collection over on the Fundraiser for the LnC FanFic Msb thread. I figured since we're clogging up the discussion there, I'd separate out the ideas into a new thread. Also, please let me know if "swag" is the wrong word meaning:

*mouse pads
*pens
*mugs
*cups/tumblers
*shirts
*hats
*etc
(thanks to Laura for the list)

and I'll correct it.

If you have ideas for what makes a Writer an Evil Writer, please help us brainstorm over here

Here's what has been suggested so far (many thanks to contributors, the original authors of these suggestions can be found on the above-referenced thread):

"It's a Fanfic Thing, You Wouldn't Understand."

"LnC:NAoS - FanFiction: 20 years long and still super strong" /Although, I know technically, the show's FanFiction probably started before the end of the show./

"LnC:NAoS - FanFiction: Don't knock a man with glasses; you never know what secrets he may be hiding./

"FanFiction: After 20 years, my superhero can still beat up your superhero, but he's chooses to be better than that."

"FanFiction: I spend my free time saving the world. What do you do?"

"Psst: I have a secret identity. I write FanFiction."

"Psst: I have a secret identity. I read FanFiction."

"Chocolate and Coffee: the fuel of all great writers."

"Strong women don't need a superhero to back her up, but it doesn't hurt to have one on speed dial."

"I prefer Chocolate to Rocky Road. Ask me why?"

"Who needz to spell propperly? That's what editers are four."

"Who needz to spell propperly? That's what parners R 4." (I edited this to be more misspelt. It's a gift, just ask my Betas. wink )

"Evil Writer"

"I'd rather be writing fanfiction."

"I'd rather be reading fanfiction."

"You tore me out of my story for this???"

"Will write for FDK"
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/08/14 07:19 PM
How about:

"My Beta is my Superhero"

"I love a Lunkhead"

"Lunkhead: No Hero is Perfect"

"Lunkhead" (Says it all, doesn't it? wink )

"Evil Writer: I love to torture my favorite characters"

"Evil Reader: I love it when a writer tortures my favorite characters"
Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/08/14 08:42 PM
A few more:

"Through fanfiction, the story continues..."

"All because a Mad Dog and a Lunkhead fell in love..."

"Chumpy--it is a word!" blush

Maybe something to include "The Hottest Team in Town"?

Still thinking,
Laura wave
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 04:23 AM
Fans of Lois & Clark are good FoLCs.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Christina Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 06:50 AM
Here's some gems from "Ordinary People":

"There'll always be another headless corpse. Love comes maybe once."

"A boyfriend who can turn my every whim into reality takes a little getting used to."

"Alone in paradise with the one (in the ep is was woman but I thought I'd make it more gender neutral) I love. It's almost biblical."
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Fans of Lois & Clark are good FoLCs.
clap Good one, Lynn. Does that qualify as a pun?

Originally posted by Christina:
Here's some gems from "Ordinary People":

"There'll always be another headless corpse. Love comes maybe once."

"A boyfriend who can turn my every whim into reality takes a little getting used to."

"Alone in paradise with the one (in the ep is was woman but I thought I'd make it more gender neutral) I love. It's almost biblical."
While those are terrific quotes from LnC's OP, they are copyright protected and belong to DC Comics and the writer of the episode (and maybe a production company as well). We're looking for original slogans for our fundraiser, which aren't copyrighted.
Posted By: Christina Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 12:14 PM
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
While those are terrific quotes from LnC's OP, they are copyright protected and belong to DC Comics and the writer of the episode (and maybe a production company as well). We're looking for original slogans for our fundraiser, which aren't copyrighted. [/QUOTE]
True, and there's some pretty good ones already.

"Strong women don't need a superhero to back her up..." is one I like.

Also: "Through fanfiction the story continues" is a really neat one too.

I really ditto the idea of commenting on the "Hottest Team in Town" thing. How about....
"The Strange Visitor from afar and the reporter, the Hottest Team in Town."
It kind of feels kinda weak though, it doesn't really fit my image of this version of Clark/Superman.

Maybe we could come up with something akin to "Reporter is who I am, superheroics is what I can do."
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Christina:
I really ditto the idea of commenting on the "Hottest Team in Town" thing. How about....
It kind of feels kinda weak though, it doesn't really fit my image of this version of Clark/Superman.
What about...

"The Hottest Team in Town! A woman in need of a hero and a man with glasses." Or something like that?

"What are a woman in need of a rescue and a man wearing glasses? The Hottest Team in Town!" [Linked Image] Still needs work.

"What do a woman in need of a rescue and a man in glasses have in common? They're the Hottest Team in Town!"

Maybe we could come up with something akin to "Reporter is who I am, superheroics is what I can do."
Being that most of us aren't reporters, what about...

"Writer is who I am. Superheroics is what I can do."

or

"Superheroics are my specialty."
Posted By: dcarson Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 01:48 PM
One with just
FoLC
would be good.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 02:09 PM
Re: The Hottest Team in Town ideas:

"My beta and me - the hottest team in town."
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
Re: The Hottest Team in Town ideas:

"My beta and me - the hottest team in town."
clap Love it!
Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 09:48 PM
Loving the 'Hottest Team in Town' slogans clap ...

Hmmm...something to include all 'three' people into their team? :

'What do three identities add up to? The Hottest Team in Town' (kinda like the play on numbers in this...)

Or something related to the how Clark likes to edit Lois' copy:

'My beta--the only one who can edit my copy'

Laura huh
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 09:49 PM
Originally posted by LMA:
Or something related to the how Clark likes to edit Lois' copy:

'My beta--the only one who can edit my copy'
clap Love it!

I also like the idea that Lois sees Clark as her beta. laugh
Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/09/14 09:52 PM
I also like the idea that Lois sees Clark as her beta.
Ah. Had not thought of that thumbsup . Great catch!
Posted By: amciotola Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 05:03 PM
You guys have a lot of great one liners here. Has anyone started a poll to narrow it down?

I think Sara Kraft will be taking point on this particular part of the fundraising. smile

It's wonderful to see everyone step up like you all have!
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 06:05 PM
Originally posted by amciotola:
You guys have a lot of great one liners here. Has anyone started a poll to narrow it down?
We're still in the brainstorming stage. Until we had an ETA for the Fundraiser, I was just going to keep it open for brainstorming. Then make a poll closer to the Fundraiser date to narrow down the ideas.

I think Sara Kraft will be taking point on this particular part of the fundraising. smile
Thanks! hyper

When I do the poll should I have it be "Choose your top three favorites from the list" type thing? I don't know how many slogans we need, but I doubt there's a one-size fits all slogan. Before creating a poll, I can make a final list and allow proofing (by those Grammar-philes) and error checks (i.e. Hey! You forget this one! or You know, this would sound better like this...).

As a mom, I rarely spend any money on myself (outside of occasional DVD or book or necessary piece of clothing), so this is a great way to do something for ME! I mean, for the good of the FoLC Message Boards.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 06:46 PM
Given how many slogans we've come up with, you might want to have two rounds of polls; in the first round, people could be asked to choose their X favourite slogans, and the X most popular will make it to the second round, in which FoLCs will be asked to choose their Y favourite slogans from the list (with Y<X, of course).

What do you think?

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 08:40 PM
Virginia and Lynn, great idea for the polls! Looks like there's well over 30 slogans! It's been forever since I've done a poll - will a poll support that many? If it can, you might want to start with pick your top 10 or so. Another thought... some of them seem to be similar but for the "reading" or "writing" distinction. I wonder if we could combine those for now (e.g. "I'd rather be writing/reading fanfiction."), and if they make it to the end, separate them out?

I'll do some poking around on the different sites for swag people have mentioned and see what's most feasible. I think it'd be nice to have more than one slogan available, if possible.

I did some poking around on CafePress and Zazzle... and it seem slike it would be far too cost-prohibitive to make anything other than a shirt. For example, a base price for a mug on CafePress is $10.99. As a shop owner, I can mark that up by $15 without being charged extra. (And I'd have to do more research, but I believe opening a shop also puts your stuff on the CafePress Marketplace, where *they* get to set a price. Only 10% commission comes from that. This could split and confuse our profits, not to mention making it very unwieldy.)

I think the t-shirts through teespring.com (or CafePress also has a similar fundraising setup) is our best bet.

That said, we could have some stickers made up for fairly cheap (though mailing them out would be the pricy part) at moo.com - http://us.moo.com/products/rectangular-stickers.html Maybe everyone with a minimum donation of $x would get a sticker? Or we could even get a couple of sets printed and people could dontate for a sticker pack of the top 5 slogans? (I imagine that stickers could incorporate some of the similar slogans: Like a mirrored image of "I'd rather be reading/writing fanfiction.")

Did you want to get the poll(s) started, Virginia?

Thanks!
Sara
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 09:59 PM
Originally posted by KSaraSara:
Did you want to get the poll(s) started, Virginia?
I'll try to start the first poll tomorrow. I'll set up a final list tonight. I'll also do a poll for our favorite "Evil Writer" conditions, too, and try to narrow them down to the top ten. evil

I'm thinking something like...

[img]http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/...t=460&width=460&padToSquare=true[/img]
(Sorry about the large picture. My talent is writing not art, let alone computer art. laugh And, yes, Lynn, I did chose that example because I knew you'd enjoy it.)
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 10:07 PM
Originally posted by KSaraSara:
[b] Did you want to get the poll(s) started, Virginia?
I'll try to start the first poll tomorrow. I'll set up a final list tonight. I'll also do a poll for our favorite "Evil Writer" conditions, too, and try to narrow them down to the top ten. evil

I'm thinking something like...

[img]http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/...t=460&width=460&padToSquare=true[/img]
(Sorry about the large picture. My talent is writing not art, let alone computer art. laugh And, yes, Lynn, I did chose that example because I knew you'd enjoy it.) [/b]
Are you thinking two different Evil Writer ones? One with the list and one without? Personally, I would be more inclined to get one that just says Evil Writer. Maybe in like a typewriter font.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 10:19 PM
Final Slogan List prior to making the poll. *Please* help me correct any errors (non-intentional grammatical ones, that is) and let me know if I've missed any. Thanks!

Final Slogan List

"LnC:NAoS - FanFiction: 20 years long and still super strong" - /Would this be better as a FoLC instead of LnC:NAoS?/

"LnC:NAoS - FanFiction: Don't knock a man with glasses; you never know what secrets he may be hiding." - /same question here/

"FanFiction: After 20 years, my superhero can still beat up your superhero, but he's chooses to be better than that."

"Psst: I have a secret identity. I write/read FanFiction."

"Strong women don't need a superhero to back her up, but it doesn't hurt to have one on speed dial."

"Who needz to spell propperly? That's what parners R 4."

"Evil Writer"

"I'd rather be writing / reading fanfiction."

"Will write for FDK"

"I love a Lunkhead"

"Lunkhead: No Hero is Perfect" /Or "Lunkhead, because no hero is perfect" /

"Lunkhead"

"Evil Writer: I torture characters for fun!"

"Chumpy--it is a word!"

"Fans of Lois & Clark are good FoLCs."

"Writer / Reporter is who I am, superheroics is what I can do."

"The Hottest Team in Town! A woman in need of a hero and a man with glasses."

"What are a woman in need of a rescue and a man wearing glasses? The Hottest Team in Town!"

"What do a woman in need of a rescue and a man in glasses have in common? They're the Hottest Team in Town!"

"FoLC"

"My Beta and Me - The Hottest Team in Town."

"What do three identities add up to? The Hottest Team in Town"

"My beta--the only one who can edit my copy"

"You Know You're An Evil Writer When..." /top ten reasons TBA /

"Real Life is over rated. I'd rather live in FanFiction"
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/10/14 10:55 PM
Yeah, I think FoLC reads better than the long acronym. smile
Posted By: KatherineKent Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 02:03 AM
So many good ones. It would be hard to choose.

Until I saw the last one...

It's perfect.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 04:40 AM
Virginia, I love those grammar peeves; thanks for choosing them with me in mind. smile

You know you're a verbophile when you look at the affect/effect one and know that it is an oversimplification. "Affect" can also be a noun (with the meaning of "feeling"). Although m-w.com indicates that this sense of the word is obsolete, it is actually still used in scholarly circles. I remember reading articles in grad school about how one's affect could affect one's language learning.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread topic...

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 10:07 AM
Great list thumbsup )

Thanks for putting this all together, Virginia notworthy

Laura
Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 01:06 PM
Yikes--bear with me...I'm editing my edit dizzy

quote:
I had made bold:

--should it read " A strong woman doesn't need a superhero to back her up, but it doesn't hurt to have one on speed dial" ?

but I also should have made a few more words bold blush . I should have posted:

--should it read " A strong woman doesn't need a superhero to back her up, but it doesn't hurt to have one on speed dial" ?

(also--now there'd be two 'doesn't's in the sentence...maybe one could be made into 'does not'?

The rest of my post was a-okay though party

Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 01:35 PM
Originally posted by KatherineKent:
So many good ones. It would be hard to choose.

Until I saw the last one...

It's perfect.
Thanks, KatherineKent. That one came to me just as I was putting the final touches on the list. Glad you liked it. laugh

Originally posted by LMA:
Yikes--bear with me...I'm editing my edit dizzy
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> quote:
I had made bold:

but I also should have made a few more words bold blush . I should have posted:

(also--now there'd be two 'doesn't's in the sentence...maybe one could be made into 'does not'?

The rest of my post was a-okay though laugh Let's see...

A strong woman can rescue herself, but it doesn't hurt to have a superhero on speed dial.

Does that sound better?
Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 02:19 PM
Virginia posted:
A strong woman can rescue herself, but it doesn't hurt to have a superhero on speed dial.

Does that sound better?
Perfect sloppy . I think I like this version the best!

Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 03:40 PM
Final Slogan List prior to making the poll. *Please* help me correct any errors (non-intentional grammatical ones, that is) and let me know if I've missed any. Thanks!

Final Slogan List

"FoLC FanFiction: 20 years long and still super strong"

"FoLC FanFiction: Don't knock a man with glasses; you never know what secrets he may be hiding."

edited: "A strong woman can rescue herself, but it doesn't hurt to have a superhero on speed dial."

"Who needz to spell propperly? That's what parners R 4."

"Evil Writer" (I agree with DC. This in white CG Times on a black hat or T-shirt would be thumbsup )

"Evil Writer: I torture characters for fun!"

"You Know You're An Evil Writer When..." /top ten reasons TBA /

"I'd rather be writing / reading fanfiction."

"Will write for FDK"

"I love a Lunkhead"

"Lunkhead: No Hero is Perfect" /Or "Lunkhead, because no hero is perfect" /

"Lunkhead"

"Chumpy--it is a word!"

"Fans of Lois & Clark are good FoLCs."

"FoLC"

"Writer / Reporter is who I am, superheroics is what I can do."

"What are a woman in need of a rescue and a man wearing glasses? The Hottest Team in Town!"

"My Beta and Me - The Hottest Team in Town."

"What do three identities add up to? The Hottest Team in Town"

"My beta--the only one who can edit my copy"

"Real Life is overrated. I'd rather live in FanFiction"

If there's no more last minute additions or corrections, I'll try to post this poll tonight.
Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 03:58 PM
clap clap clap

Looks great!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 04:06 PM
Since you asked, Virginia,
Change "he's" to "he."

The question mark should be a period, since you are instructing someone to ask you a question, you are not asking a question yourself. Alternately, the second sentence could be:

Ask me, "Why?"

But I think that is a lot more awkward.

and

These both need periods at the end. There are actually several other items that also need periods, but I won't quote them individually here.

Should the exclamation point be a colon?

How about one more quote?

The math of superheroes: 1 + 1 = 1

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 04:49 PM
How about one more quote?

The math of superheroes: 1 + 1 = 1
Thanks for the corrections, Lynn. Umm... Are you sure your math shouldn't be 2 + 1 = 2 Or 1 + 1 + 1 = 2 ?

How about:

"LnC: The only triangle with two sides."
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 04:56 PM
I had originally thought of 1 + 1 + 1 = 2, but I decided to simplify it.

Clark + Superman = 1 person; 1 + 1 = 1

Another possible saying:

If you're not a superhero, don't edit my copy!

(Note: This is not a commentary on your post, Virginia. I appreciate you asking for clarification. It's just another saying I thought might be cute.)

Or, less confrontationally phrased:

Only a superhero can edit my copy.

True, it is Clark, not Superman, who edits Lois' copy, but where's the humour in that?

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: amciotola Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 05:35 PM
I love this one!!!

Posted By: LMA Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 06:20 PM
"LnC: The only triangle with two sides."
I like it hyper

I really like this one, too...(and even though it's Clark that edits the copy.) It's a nice link btw Clark/Superman clap

So many great choices!
Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/11/14 08:13 PM
I had originally thought of 1 + 1 + 1 = 2, but I decided to simplify it.

Clark + Superman = 1 person; 1 + 1 = 1

Another possible saying:

If you're not a superhero, don't edit my copy!

(Note: This is not a commentary on your post, Virginia. I appreciate you asking for clarification. It's just another saying I thought might be cute.)
I understood that. laugh

Or, less confrontationally phrased:

True, it is Clark, not Superman, who edits Lois' copy, but where's the humour in that?
What about:

"You must be a superhero to edit my copy."

Yes, I know that can be read in more than one way. evil
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/12/14 12:19 AM
The first poll to choose our Fundraising Slogans has been posted. I've divided the slogans into two categories (not quite divided down the middle but close to it): 1) FanFiction Specific / LnC Vague AND 2) LnC Specific. You can only choose up to ten in each category. I've set a deadline of voting for this first poll only until Tuesday midnight (as we haven't yet received even a rough timeline for the 2014 Fundraiser, so I wasn't sure just how time sensitive this is).
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/12/14 05:59 AM
What about:

"You must be a superhero to edit my copy."

Yes, I know that can be read in more than one way. evil
That's good, too, but it lacks a subtlety that mine had: Prescriptively speaking, the proper word should have been "may" in mine, not "can." People who are versed in the nuances of the two words will have a desired to correct my slogan -- in other words, to edit my copy. devil

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/15/14 12:46 AM
I know it's too late to offer new ones, but I just thought of another one. LOL.

"Don't Jimmy my writing / reading time!"

or

"I hate it when real life Jimmy's my writing / reading time."

or

"I hate it when real life Jimmy Interruptus my writing / reading time." (This needs a Lynn beta job to make it sound right, I just know it. laugh )

It's too late to submit them to the official list, but I thought I'd share them for your enjoyment.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Slogans for Fundraising Swag - 04/15/14 04:36 AM
They are cute.

"I hate it when real life Jimmy Interruptus my writing / reading time." (This needs a Lynn beta job to make it sound right, I just know it. laugh )
Since you asked, how about the following?

I hate it when real life pulls a 'Jimmy Interruptus' on my writing/reading time.

Joy,
Lynn
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards