Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: amberlea It's Kerth Time! - 04/16/13 10:11 PM
Voting is over, so that means it's time to start planning the Kerth Ceremony!

We need volunteers to present each category. We could also use volunteers to present commercials/shorts in between categories.

Presenting a category is simple! Give a short explanation of the criteria for the category, which can be straightforward or creative, serious or funny. Then present the nominees, and finally, announce the winner!

Here are the categories:

Best Super Short (1-10k)
Best Short Story (11-50k) - IolantheAlias
Best Mid-Length Story (51-200k) - Classicalla
Best WAFFy Story (1-50k) - Kismatt
Best Comedy
Best Revelation Story - IolantheAlias
Best Episode Adaptation - Classicalla
Best Drama - VirginiaR
Best Relationship Story (over 50k)
Best Alternate/Elseworlds/Next Generation Story
Best Original/Supporting Character
Best New Author - AntiKryptonite
Best Overall

At this point, everything is open! The only exception is Best New Author, which belongs to Anti-Kryptonite, as 2012's BNA winner.

Please reply to this post with any questions or to volunteer to present a category or commercials!

Thanks!
Amber smile
Posted By: Sue S. Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 11:04 AM
I'll have to do some juggling, but I really don't want to miss another Kerth ceremony. Can I claim the honor of presenting first for the Super Short category? laugh
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 12:48 PM
Since I had so much trouble finding the IRC last year, I don't want to promise anything I can't follow-through upon. Knowing me, I'll get lost in cyberspace again. :rolleyes: I'll try to do some more advertisements again. Those were fun.

I could use some ideas though, as there weren't many new businesses that I recall off the top of my head from this past year's stories. (I always try to put some fun ones in my stories, but I'm wacky that way.) If you know of any you'd like to see an advert for, let me know. smile1
Posted By: Morgana Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 02:31 PM
OK. I don't want to toot my own horn, but what about something for Cafe Americana?

Also, could anyone give me pointers on how to get into the IRC? I would love to help out, but my computer skills are weak.
Posted By: LabRat Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 03:01 PM
You'll find IRC instructions here , Morgana.

LabRat :-)
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Morgana:
OK. I don't want to toot my own horn, but what about something for Cafe Americana?

Also, could anyone give me pointers on how to get into the IRC? I would love to help out, but my computer skills are weak.
Actually, Morgana, Mike's Cafe was the only one I could think of off the top of my head.
Posted By: Sue S. Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 06:17 PM
Mazik's Jewelers. Metropolis Mercantile Bank. CostMart (which is what I still call both Sam's Club and Costco). STAR Labs. There's the Planet, the Star, the National Whisper. The Metropolis Press Club. The Lexor Hotel. Casey's Pub. Callard's (a cafe, I'm assuming). The Magic Club (? Or wherever both 'Illusions of Grandeur' and 'Never on a Sunday' took place. Was that the same club?).

If I can think of others (and I'm sure there are lots), I'll add them. smile

ETA: Bibbo's Ace of Clubs, Red's Plumbing, and The Metro Club. smile
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 06:51 PM
I think a humorous ad could be had from Ralph's Pagoda.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/20/13 09:12 PM
I try to tie an advertisement to highlight a specific story, so if any of those places (with the exception of the Daily Planet) are a center of focus in a story... let me know, otherwise, I feel they're already covered in canon.

I was thinking the inn (or is a B&B) where Lois and Clark stay in "High Tide" might also be a good example. Or a specific restaurant they might eat at (such as Morgana's Cafe Americana) works. If there was a fic set specifically in the Metro Club or the Magic Club, then I might highlight the new aspect shown in the story. Or if there was a specific new industry in the Luthor family (like his L.L. Clothing line for Men, I highlighted last year from "Green-Eyed Monster").
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/21/13 05:48 AM
Well, there's always The Pub, but somehow, I doubt they would advertise.

The doctor who diagnosed Todd could advertise his services.

BTW, I know a date has been established for the ceremony (April 27th), but has a specific time been announced? (Incidentally, the Kerth Awards page still lists April 13th as the ceremony date. And the nominees page still lists the stories from the previous ceremony.)

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/21/13 09:46 PM
I can present a category if you want. Please assign something to me. That's assuming that the Kerths will happen on Sat April 27 sometime in the evening of Eastern Daylight Time.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/22/13 02:15 AM
I'll present something.
Posted By: Kismatt Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/22/13 03:31 AM
I'll present. Do we have a time yet?

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Kismatt Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/24/13 03:18 PM
Okay, it's now Wednesday afternoon, and the Kerth IRC awards 'show' is on Saturday.

Do we have a time yet? I'm trying to plan my weekend...

Just wonderin'. huh
Posted By: amberlea Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/24/13 04:04 PM
Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to present!

I have not heard any details about a time, but it usually occurs around 5pm ET, if that helps you plan.

The list has been updated to reflect the categories that have been claimed.

Also, I am not going to be able to attend the ceremony. I have a prior commitment that I just can't get out of, though I am sad about missing the Kerths!

Thanks!
Amber smile
Posted By: KenJ Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/24/13 05:53 PM
Labby,

Do you know if the app is available for Android devices?
Posted By: Kismatt Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/24/13 05:59 PM
Originally posted by KenJ:
Labby,

Do you know if the app is available for Android devices?
What kind of device? I have AndChat on my Kindle Fire and SimpleIRC on my smartphone. Both are Android, and freebies.

HTH laugh
Posted By: KenJ Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/24/13 06:59 PM
Motorola Xoom and Kindle Fire HD.

Xoom - Ice Cream Sandwich
Kindle - Modified ICS
Posted By: Classicalla Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/24/13 10:20 PM
Do we have a time yet? I can present for another category.
Posted By: Karen Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 05:06 AM
I most likely won't be able to attend. I have family plans on Saturday.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 08:55 AM
Since no time has been officially set yet, I'll like to chime in. Middle of the night is better for me than middle of the day, since my husband will be working on Saturday and I've got to keep the kids entertained. But, then again, I'm a night owl. laugh It might be less convenient for those East Coasters but more convenient for those in Europe.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 06:05 PM
Any time is okay with me, but I'm with Virginia in that I don't mind the middle of the night much (and I'm in the eastern US time zone, too.

Karen, if you can't attend, who will do all the technical stuff? Do we, perhaps, need to reschedule? Do we know how many people will be "coming"?
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 06:32 PM
Eastern time here too, but I can't seem to stay up past 1 or 2 am the latest now that I'm expecting. (Which is putting a damper on my writing). wink
Posted By: Karen Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 07:09 PM
Amber's going to send me a list of questions. Whether or not I can make it depends on the time of the ceremony and the weather (the plans involve a baseball game).

It's 2 days away!
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 07:11 PM
FWIW, I prefer early evening, say, around 6:00 or so Eastern Standard Time. I wouldn't object to having it in the middle of the night my time, in fairness to those who live in different time zones, but I wouldn't be attending then.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Classicalla Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 07:38 PM
Amber's going to send me a list of questions. Whether or not I can make it depends on the time of the ceremony and the weather (the plans involve a baseball game).
Karen, Since you are the technical person, I think we should schedule this for when you can be there.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 09:47 PM
It's just at 5 EST it eats up the whole afternoon for PST, which is the worst time during a Saturday afternoon. My kids want me to take them to a Renaissance Fair. 8 PM EST would be better for me, but a late night for EST people... I'm not sure what time it would be in Europe. dizzy
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 10:06 PM
8pm EST would be good. Not too late (figuring to would run until 10ish). And hopefully easier for the rest of the time zones to make it in. (Thinking of when people might eat/put kids to bed/etc.)
Posted By: amberlea Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 10:27 PM
Okay, the Kerth Ceremony will be Saturday at 8pm Central time. I have no idea what time that is for everyone else, but I will check on that and post it.

If you would still like to volunteer, we could still use you!

Thanks!
Amber
Posted By: amberlea Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 10:46 PM
8pm Central Daylight Time is -05:00 GMT. In the United States, that will be 9pm Eastern, 7pm Mountain, and 6pm Pacific. And if you live somewhere in the U.S. that doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time, I'm afraid I can't help you. smile Hopefully, knowing the deviation from from GMT will answer everyone's questions about time.

In related news, when you join us on IRC on Saturday, make sure you join both the #kerthawards channel and the #kerthchat channel.

I'm looking forward to "seeing" everyone at the ceremony!

Amber smile
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 10:53 PM
Amberlea: Could you please make a new post with the heading of "Final 2013 Kerth Award Ceremony information" or something like that? I had a hard time finding the information about where and when and it would be good to have it right out there in front. Yes, I realize it is kind of late to ask this. Thanks.
Posted By: amberlea Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 10:56 PM
That's not a bad idea, Iolanthe, thanks. This thread has gotten a little cluttered!

Amber smile
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/25/13 11:08 PM
This works much better for me. Thanks. hyper I'll see you all there, if I don't get lost in cyberspace... which is a distinct possibility knowing me. blush
Posted By: Classicalla Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/26/13 01:03 AM
Hey, what's the sign in for the two Lois and Clark channels. I thought I'd try to practice a bit. And will the ceremony and chat work through Mibbit?
Posted By: Karen Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/26/13 05:29 AM
The two kerth channels are #kerthawards and #kerthchat, though there's no one there. If you want to test with people, #loisclark (which is where I'm logged into, if not always active) and #lanekent are the two channels the fandom has always used.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/26/13 04:07 PM
Thanks Karen.

I'll pick up the best episode adaptation.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: It's Kerth Time! - 04/27/13 01:10 AM
Virginia R noted in another thread that she can do drama. Missy G has also volunteered to do one.

At this point, I'd encourage anyone to post here as well as PM Amber to try to prevent doubles. (I hope that okay for me to say that, Amber.)

Best New Author is not listed but will be done by Anti-Kryptonite.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards