Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: ChiefPam Writing Terms - 10/14/09 10:07 AM
I ran across this today... Turkey City Lexicon . The page details lots of the terms that SF writers critique each other in.

If you've ever wanted to know what a "said-bookism" is, or what an "idiot plot" looked like, or what makes a story into a "steam-grommet factory"... well, this is your link. I found it very funny.

One quote:
* Roget’s Disease

The ludicrous overuse of far-fetched adjectives, piled into a festering, fungal, tenebrous, troglodytic, ichorous, leprous, synonymic heap. (Attr. John W. Campbell)
Warning, there's a tiny bit of rough language in there towards the end (basically one use of the F word) (Just skip reading about "AM/FM").

PJ
Posted By: LabRat Re: Writing Terms - 10/14/09 10:40 AM
goofy

LabRat smile
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Writing Terms - 10/14/09 11:27 AM
laugh Cool! I gotta show this to my Dad.

In the meantime, it reminds me of TVTropes
Posted By: LabRat Re: Writing Terms - 10/14/09 01:19 PM
Mary, that website is completely fascinating. I've already spent over an hour trawling through just the British TV section. This could get addictive. eek :rolleyes:

LabRat smile
Posted By: carolm Re: Writing Terms - 10/14/09 01:54 PM
Labby - what do you think Queenie does instead of writing? wink
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Writing Terms - 10/14/09 03:30 PM
*Swats at Carol* :p

BTW, Labby, I'm so sorry. I forgot to warn you: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: Writing Terms - 10/14/09 08:27 PM
Tremendously entertaining!

I got into the "literary tropes" section and spent a good fifteen minutes laughing about Unobtainium, Hand-Waving, Ass Pulls, and Applied Phlebotinum.

Unfortunately, I fear I've used all of these in my fics.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards