Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Ghost Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 01:25 PM
Give it your best shot.

I'm about to name a whole senate, maids, rulers, peasants, all kinds of people, and I'm wracking my brain for names: what sounds more Kryptonian?

I've got about a dozen so far, most of which I don't even know how I thought of it, but I'm open for ideas and suggestions. So folcs, name your Kryptonian. Please.

Ghost
Posted By: carolm Re: Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 01:37 PM
Do you actually need names for all of them? Or just have a pool of names and you grab one as needed?

As for me... I have not a clue wink .
Carol
Posted By: Ghost Re: Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 01:47 PM
I just need a pool of names, yes. Whatever you think fits a bad guy, I'm interested in knowing. Same with names for good guys smile The only limit is our imagination.

Ghost

edit: not that they all have to sound so far out of this world. I had a female version of Ching... her name? Chi. Clean and simple. I wanted to go with Chi-Chi, but then it would only be a rip-off of Japanese manga wink
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 03:17 PM
You may already know this but... here's a wiki on Kryptonian names and terms,

wave
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 03:39 PM
How about Vis-El? He could be Kal's evil, singing, hip-swaying second cousin once removed. goofy

Whaddaya mean not helpful?
Posted By: carolm Re: Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 03:42 PM
Ooo - isn't there a Redneck Kryptonian list somewhere or something? All of his cousins? I forget who all they were...

Carol
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 07:18 PM
I would think that servants would come from nameless houses, being servants and all.

Of course, there are establishments that train people that want to be servants...

James
Posted By: HatMan Re: Kryptonian names - 06/01/08 08:32 PM
How about Vis-El? He could be Kal's evil, singing, hip-swaying second cousin once removed. goofy
That\'s taken...

But Kryptonian names... It seems the hyphen is reserved for members of royal houses. And not necessarily all of them. And not females.

We know Kal-El and Jor-El. And Van-Zee and Jax-Ur are from the comics. But Lord Nor, Trey, Zara, Ching... There doesn't seem to be much pattern to any of it in L&C canon (not that anything about NK makes sense...).
Posted By: beethoven Re: Kryptonian names - 06/02/08 08:21 AM
even though I haven't navigated it thoroughly yet

why don't you check out this site on Kryptonian Language

if there is a whole string of Kryptonians you're writing about, this page would provide guidance on Kryptonian grammar,alphabet and more (as I said I haven't explored it fully)

you may find something really neat that could help you formulate some form of speach patterns etc. (Yoda's speaking style I think good analogy might be)

good luck thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Kryptonian names - 06/02/08 08:50 AM
What about Yode-El, in honor of Perry of course. wink
Posted By: TOC Re: Kryptonian names - 06/02/08 09:19 AM
Paul, that Vis-El story was a riot!!! clap clap

Ann
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: Kryptonian names - 06/02/08 09:45 AM
There's the Kryptonian Name Generator . The description says: "Creates names for Kryptonian characters (like Superman's Kal-El or Jor-El)".You can generate an infinity of names. wink
Posted By: sammie Re: Kryptonian names - 06/02/08 03:05 PM
Lam-Or
Dru-Te
Aken
Woz-Up

umm yeah....
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Kryptonian names - 06/02/08 11:14 PM
I think you could use about anything you want - including 'Earth' names. After all, Kal is a name here (with any pronunciation you choose) and I've often thought Kal-El was based on the the Arabic name Kalil which means 'friend'. And Ching is actually a Chinese word.

And this is from Wiki:
Zara Anne Elizabeth Phillips, MBE (born 15 May 1981) is the second child and only daughter of HRH The Princess Anne, Princess Royal and her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips. As the eldest granddaughter of HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, she is twelfth in the British Order of Succession.
Zara Phillips

The Spanish pronunciation of Sara is nearly the same as Zara.

Jor-El could certainly be a take on the name Jorge. And there is (or was) a Brazilian musician with the name of Jor (Jorge Ben Jor).

There is a company named Zor in The Netherlands. And there was some kind of toy named King Zor.
King Zor

So, hey, Ghost, if you want to use the names: Ghost, Carol, Anks, Shades, Elvis, Data, James, Hatman, Paul, Ludwig van Beethoven (sounds rather Kryptonian, doesn't it?), Stephnachia, Toc, Ann, Ultra Woman, Sammie, Classicalla, or any other name, I'm sure you'll get a smile... wink
Posted By: beethoven Re: Kryptonian names - 06/03/08 03:26 AM
not only is ZARA a "Teran" name,

but so is LARA (as in Kal's mother)
and SARA
and KYRA
and KAYLA (cognate with Michaella)
LEAH
LEELA
MILO (Male, but also the best choc-malt drink ever... it's an OZ thing)

LOYD
FLOYD
JOEL
JOSE (as in Spanish: HO-ZE)

then there is a whole host of MING's, CHAN's and LEE's

etc.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards