Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: beethoven M vs F names - 09/14/07 08:45 PM
You know how easy it is to masculinise Martha to Matthew

well.....I tried to think of a masculine form of Ellen...

the best I could come up with was Elliot, which is not really from the same root, but it had the first 3 letters the same...
(besides, I really like the name "Elliot")

does anyone know of one? or does none exist???

I wouldn't be surprised as not all names have M&F versions, and had never head of anything before now, but>??
Posted By: kmar Re: M vs F names - 09/14/07 09:53 PM
Ellen comes from Helen so I looked up names in both E & H and couldn't really find a name that was a male variation of either. When I looked up Ellen in my book and it directed me to Helen I found out the name is Greek and means light or a torch. So maybe you could find a mans name that means the same and use that. Just a thought.
Posted By: HatMan Re: M vs F names - 09/14/07 09:59 PM
A quick net search doesn't turn up any male names. Seems it's most commonly derived from Helen, as in Helen of Troy. (Other origins include Hebrew, Italian, and some similar Greek names.)

Though there are some sound-alike names like Alan and Elian, they have their own, very separate origins. One site did mention Ellen as an Angelo-Saxon boy's name, but I think that's pretty rare.

Elliot is probably your best bet.
Posted By: kmar Re: M vs F names - 09/14/07 10:33 PM
If you want to go for the Elle in the name there is Ellery which means from the elder-tree.

I read A-K in my book with some other names for the children the characters -

Jimmy's son - Hackett which means little hacker

Lois & Clark - Aidan - little fiery one (after Lois)
Key - son of the fiery one
Posted By: LNCroxmysox Re: M vs F names - 09/23/07 02:20 PM
What about Elton? smile
Posted By: beethoven Re: M vs F names - 09/24/07 06:42 AM
i can picture the poor boy now....

Elton Jonathan Kent
poor kid won't survive pre-school, let alone high school and college... wink :p :rolleyes:
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards