Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: LabRat Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/01/03 10:12 PM
As part of an upcoming Archive project, I need to know which LNC episodes have most been revisited by FoLCs in fanfic - but I'm coming up blank.

So far, all I can think of are:

TOGOM
The Family Hour (lots of post-FH fic around on where the baby came from)
The Clone Arc

And...erm...that's it. I know there must be more than that - and that you guys will know what they are. wink

LabRat smile
Posted By: Shadow Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/01/03 10:30 PM
There have been a few Pilot rewrites...

I'll keep thinking

Jen
Posted By: HatMan Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/01/03 10:33 PM
came up with a few offhand, just skimmed an ep guide and got a few more.

the luthor wedding arc (BaTP, HoL)
the pilot
GGGoH has been done a few times, too.
PML, maybe?
honeymoon in metropolis is a popular choice.
all shook up

Paul
Posted By: KathyM Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/01/03 11:08 PM
You could also add in:
The New Krypton arc, particularly BGDF
Lucky Leon
Whine Whine Whine
And the Answer Is...
Seasons' Greedings

KathyM
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 04:47 AM
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I seem to be re-writing "I've Got a Crush on You" a lot dizzy

Strange Visitor seems popular... and All Shook Up.

I wonder which has more re-writes, the Pilot or TOGOM?

Can't think of anymore, off-hand.

PJ
Posted By: daneel Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 05:07 AM
I wonder which has more re-writes, the Pilot or TOGOM?
TOGOM of course wink .

However what it's considered a rewrite of the pilot? It's there a line that divides what can be considered a rewrite of the pilot or not? Some elements like Clark going to Metropolis for an interview and the Sarah Theatre, might be present.

Jose wave
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 05:46 AM
Well, the question of what is and isn't a rewrite is somewhat subjective. For me, it's whether the author is using the a-plot from the episode, in some form -- a Pilot re-write, IMO, is about Samuel Platt and the attempted sabotage of the space program by Antoinette Baines & Lex Luthor. If Clark is shot by re-constituted gangsters, it's a TOGOM rewrite. If the world is about to be destroyed by an asteroid but Clark can't remember who he is... you get the idea smile But there's still enormous range for creativity.

PJ
Posted By: daneel Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 05:58 AM
it's whether the author is using the a-plot from the episode, in some form -- a Pilot re-write
I agree with in some form, I, for example consider, CarolM's First Night a rewrite of the pilot smile

Jose hyper
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 06:00 AM
Top Copy was popular for a time too - Ann, Nan and I all posted adaptations of that within a fairly close timescale. I'd started writing Carbon Copy a year or so before either of the other two stories (Growing Pains and Getting to Know You) were posted, and when each appeared I thought 'Rats!' (or words to that effect smile1
Posted By: Krissie Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 06:38 AM
There have been a few Tempus Fugitive's, I think, and I doubt that I'm the only person who has had a go at Resurrection.

Curiously, I think the episodes that have been rewritten most are favourites. With a few noticeable exceptions, it seems to me that the least popular episodes get left alone. The Argh! and the New Krypton series are (IMVHO)... flawed (now, there's a tactful word!), but they have redeeming features. (In the case of NK, it's the angst. If only you could remove the New Kryptonians, themselves!)

By contrast, my impression is that episodes like Ghosts don't attract rewrites. (I'm willing to be corrected though, given that I'm so behind on my reading!)

Oh, and I think some people have had a go at Soul Mates, though whether those count as rewrites or sequels or what, I'm not sure.

Chris
Posted By: KathyM Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 07:31 AM
I notice that Rat's thread title is "Most Reworked Episodes" - so presumably that would include rewrites or adaptations.

Obviously many of the NK stories, particularly BGDF, are sequels from that episode and spinning off into total "what-ifs". So I don't know if they would count or not in this.

KathyM
Posted By: BrightFeather Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 09:22 AM
There's a fine line between adaptation and rewrite. laugh Heck, I've got a trilogy that started as a rewrite, but it's gone so far away from the original that I'm not sure what to call it anymore. wink Y'all know how it is, <g> the characters get stubborn and want things done *their* way!

BrightFeather (who's discovering the joys of typing with 2 fingers splinted together)
Posted By: LabRat Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 09:24 AM
Thanks for these, everyone - most helpful. goofy

Thanks again!

LabRat smile
I'm sure I've read a few versions of Fly Hard as well...

HC
Posted By: Nan Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 02:27 PM
Well, I wrote the Night at the Office series, which started as a rewrite of Fly Hard. The following two stories had elements of Barbarians at the Planet, House of Luthor and Madame Ex in them, but were so far divergent from the originals that I don't know what you'd call them.

Nan
Posted By: MLT Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 03:33 PM
I have a question which is sort of off topic from the original question. But reading this thread, it occurred to me that I don't know the difference between a rewrite and an adaptation. Can anyone tell me how they differ?

ML
wave
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 03:52 PM
I think it's a matter of debate and opinion, ML, but I consider a rewrite to be a story which stays reasonably close to the episode, just changing a few things here and there to make it different or 'better'. I think my story That Super Man of Mine would be an example of a rewrite.

I see an adaptation as a story which is set in the same time-frame as an ep and uses a number of elements from that episode, but branches off into different directions, maybe largely ignoring the A-plot or letting it turn out in a very different way, and also changing the B-plot. Examples of that would be Nan's various S1 and S2 series, LabRat's Masques and Are You Lonesome Tonight...? and Meredith's All Stirred Up, and also adaptations of mine such as Carbon Copy, Second Thoughts and When Larry Met Charlie - also your own The Second Stage of Grief.

And actually, I've just realised that there's another way to distinguish them, one which is probably less of an opinion: the difference between a rewrite, which goes from beginning to end of an ep, and an adaptation which may just spin off from a particular scene, or insert a scene into an ep. So Kaylle's lovely All Or Nothing is an adaptation of HoL, inserting a scene into that episode which then changes the outcome. It's not a rewrite because she doesn't set out to rewrite the entire episode.

Does that help at all? wink

Wendy smile1
Posted By: MLT Re: Most Reworked Episodes in Fanfic - 06/02/03 11:17 PM
Yeah, Wendy. That helps a lot. I would have clasified all the stories you listed as adaptations as rewrites. I don't know what I would have called an adaptation blush

So thanks.

ML (who is about to go crawl back under her rock - until she has to leave for work in four and a half hours help )
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards