Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Fishy stories - 05/28/03 03:20 PM
Well FoLCs today happened something, that troubled me.

I read "A fishy story" by Jana. In case you haven't read it, it's about a fish that belongs to Lois, and narrates us what happens to Lois etc..

The thing is, that a few weeks ago I had this idea about a fish that belongs to the Kent family (not Jonathan and Martha, the "other one") and gives us its perspective about their lives.

Now what? confused

Should I abandon it?

Or maybe should I describe my idea to Jana and let her write it?

Or maybe I can write it (when I have time), and there's no problem with that?

HELP! help

Anna_B._the_Greek

P.S.: Jana, I would love a reply from you, too.
Posted By: AnnieM Re: Fishy stories - 05/28/03 03:36 PM
I say go ahead and write it. There are so many stories in this fandom, there are bound to be some that are pretty similar. If you had the idea before you read hers, I don't think there's a problem at all. In fact, I'd bet that your story turns out to be pretty different than Jana's. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard someone say they were afraid to write a story because it seems too close to another story, but then when they are finished they are so different the readers never even notice the similarities. smile

Annie
Posted By: Jana Re: Fishy stories - 05/28/03 03:58 PM
Please, by all means, don't let my story stop you from writing yours! That would be the last thing I want. Now, write away!

Jana
Posted By: Melisma Re: Fishy stories - 05/28/03 05:02 PM
In fact, who's to stop us from having a fishy story challenge, huh? smile

Melisma (ducking under her Rock to avoid the tomatoes)
Posted By: RL Re: Fishy stories - 05/28/03 05:27 PM
Seems like it would be an extension of Jana's fish stories since I assume Serena's tank would have moved along with Lois into the Brownstone.

Or if you want to write a story that isn't so similar, you could take it from the viewpoint of, say, Clarkie the black and white teddy bear. For us guys out here, it would be a good opportuntity to find out what it's like to sleep with Lois every night. laugh
Posted By: HatMan Re: Fishy stories - 05/28/03 05:48 PM
i agree. every author has his or her own style and perspective. so, even if they start off with the same premise, the story will go differently for each. that's very handy for two writers thinking of similar stories, but it can be a bit of a problem when you're trying to co-author...

actually, i was pretty sure i'd read a story from the perspective of lois's fish before. can't find it on the archive, though. i did, however, find one from her cat's perspective. that's here.

<shrug> more fic is always good. smile

Paul
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Fishy stories - 05/29/03 05:43 AM
Oh, i c...

Thanks a lot.

I 'll start writing as soon as possible.

AnnaBtG.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards