Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 02:57 PM
When I asked the Zoomway's FoLCs, they told me that posting on that site as well as here would be no problem. I was thinking to do it from now on, but I think that most people are the same here and there.
I would like to know whether I'm right or wrong.

Btw, I would like to ask something else that I asked there, too.

What would you think about a short story in Spanish?

Thanks.
Anna_B.
Posted By: Saskia Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 03:00 PM
It's no problem to post on both sites. But it's not really the same people anymore. Anyway, have fun here.

And I don't think it's a problem if you write and post in Spanish. There are more Spanish Folc's out here. (and Rat would love more Foreign Language submissions wink )

Saskia
Posted By: LabRat Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 03:05 PM
Anna - you post where you want to! It's all about having fun. jump If you're having fun covering all bases - keep it up!

Saskia answered your other question for me. <G> If you'd like to submit your Spanish story to the Archive after you've posted it on the mbs I'll be delighted.

And there have been a couple of non-English stories posted on the mbs already, so I can't see it being a problem here either.

I say - go for it!

LabRat smile
Posted By: meclone2 Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 03:15 PM
LabRat,

Just asking for the sake of curiosity. Is the Archive capable of displaying Chinese? wink Not that I'll ever write a fanfic in Chinese, of course. smile Writing in English would be challenging enough, as it is.

Actually, I have been thinking off-and-on about a fanfic whose setting is in Imperial China. Something similar to to the Soulmates Chronoicles, if I ever get it written.

Is that kind of story considered an Elseworld fic at all? Or is the term "Elseworld" confined to stories set in modern 20th/21st century that are just not the Current or Alternate universes, like Chris Mulder's MMIKC or Mobile Richard's "Life In a Different World" and "Queen Lois" or Wendy Richard's "Big Boys Do Fly"?

--meclone2--
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 03:23 PM
Thanks for your replies on the first question. I see there's a good mood between us FoLCs, and this will help us go on.
Thanks for encouraging me to write in Spanish too. I think my teacher will be pleased and (I hope that) it will help me with my composition on Diploma Basico de Espanol. laugh
Btw LabRat how many languages do you speak? Seems like they're a lot... since Saskia said that you are pleased with foreign languages fics.
I think that I couldn't find anyone here who understands my language, though... mecry not much people speak Greek.

There are two things I 'd like you (or anyone else) to help me, though.
1) What do you mean by mbs?
2) How do I submit a story to the Archive?

Thanks.
Anna_B.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 03:36 PM
Meclone2, sadly, I think Chinese might give it a problem. But if you ever write one, let me know. Never rule out nothing is our motto. laugh

As far as I know, your Imperial China story would be an Elseworld, yes. I'm not aware that there's anything that ties the category down to a particular time. And it sounds extremely interesting! I'd certainly be intrigued to read it. I'm a bit of a sucker for that kind of thing.

Btw LabRat how many languages do you speak? Seems like they're a lot... since Saskia said that you are pleased with foreign languages fics.
Not a one, I'm afraid. <g> There are some who would contest I can barely speak English. wink What Saskia meant was that I'd be delighted as the current Editor-in-Chief of the Fanfic Archive. We have a section for foreign language stories here . It's very small at the moment and we'd love more submissions for it. Which is why I tend to get very excited and pounce on anyone who offers us another one. goofy

About your other questions:

mbs = messageboards.

To submit a story simply send it to me at the eddress below. You can find out how to prepare it for submission and other FAQs here .

LabRat
labrat@blueyonder.co.uk
Posted By: meclone2 Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 03:39 PM
Thanks LabRat! laugh

Summer holidays are coming. 4 months with nothing to do. And since I'm returning home for the holidays (from one SARS region to another, imagine that), my parents will probably want me to stay indoors as much as possible. *gives the Muse a kick*.

Maybe. Just maybe....

--meclone2--
Posted By: Saskia Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 03:44 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. It's nice to see that other Folcs write in their own language, which encouraged me to write in Dutch too. Go look in the TOC if you want to see it, there's even an explanation.

Now my real question... how many of you actually read the stuff in other languages? Besides Dutch and English, I can follow Frisian, German and French. The reason I ask? Maybe, very mabye, in a future far from now, I may write more Dutch fic...

Anyone interested in it? Or should I just leave it and continue in English? (which is easier btw)

Saskia
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 04:07 PM
To Saskia: I can't answer for everyone, but at least I'd read everything in Spanish. I would make an attempt if I found a story in French, too, but, unfortunately, my French are in a low level at the moment.
I'm sorry that if you write a story in Dutch I wouldn't be able to read it, but don't worry I think many people would, and they'd love to.
To LabRat: If you are pleased with every foreign language, it would be especially easy for me to please you, if you include Greek smile But I don't think you would be pleased enough with it, for I doubt if there are more than five people here understanding my language. mecry

Anna_B.

P.S.: Btw, is there anyone here who is Greek, or who understands it?
(I hope I'll receive answers)
Posted By: Shadow Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 07:36 PM
Hah, me plus Spanish = no way. Which is ironic considering the fact that I recall spanish being spoken quite a lot in my grandmother's house when I was little. But getting back on track, I would read stories in French, and that's the only language I could probably comprehend aside from English (which I just butcher after midnight. :p )
Posted By: Bethy Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 08:57 PM
As a French major who's always looking for more outlets to practice, I would certainly read fics in French. I also know some Spanish, and would like to improve it (slowly but surely...someday I'm gonna get the hang of it...), and fic seems like a great way to learn new vocabulary while having blissful sighs and maybe even some Eeeps!

Sorry, Anna, I don't speak Greek, but since my goal is to know at least 7 languages before I die (which I plan to do at 142...only 121 years left to do all that I have planned! eek ), it's certainly a possibility that I'll learn it. Actually, if I could find a teacher, I'm interested in Greek, Latin and Hebrew...unfortunately, they're not common languages to be taught at community colleges, or even the local university. frown If you write a fic, I could use it as practice, too. laugh

Bethy

PS Saskia -- I don't speak Dutch, unfortunately, but if you want to continue writing in it, I say go for it!
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 09:08 PM
Bethy, I could teach you some basic Hebrew... except I'm not sure how to do that online... hmm.
Posted By: HatMan Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 09:48 PM
bethy, if you ask someone at your local hillel, i'm sure they can put you in touch with a hebrew teacher. many hillels offer basic hebrew classes. you can find more at the hillel homepage, or, more specifically, you can go to the local hillel finder, which should be able to tell you about the hillels in your state.

Paul
Posted By: Melisma Re: Posting and language topics - 04/28/03 10:31 PM
Looks like an interesting site, Paul, even for a non-student Gentile like me. I've bookmarked it, thanks!

Melisma (on a posting tear, here under her Rock - Meriweather, here I come!!!)

smile1 hyper rotflol
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 09:35 AM
Paul, she's currently in Korea. Not too many Hillels there. wink

Actually, there aren't even any Chabads there!
Posted By: HatMan Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 12:19 PM
melisma is in korea, rivka, but i was pointing it out to bethy, who, i'm pretty sure, is still in the US. smile

Paul
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 03:36 PM
Uh, right, I knew that...

blush
Posted By: Melisma Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 04:45 PM
Might not be any... whatever it is ... over here. But on the site Paul posted, was a Ask a Rabbi option, so, well, I did smile

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock shyly)

peep
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 06:05 PM
Chabad is a Jewish organization that seems to be practically everywhere. wink
Posted By: Melisma Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 06:30 PM
Is there a website for them?

Melisma (ducking shyly back under her Rock)

blush
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 07:16 PM
I did say almost everywhere... wink

http://www.chabad.org/
Posted By: Melisma Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 07:22 PM
Cool, thanks... This one's been bookmarked too smile

Melisma (going to explore it, here under her Rock)
Posted By: Bethy Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 08:15 PM
Rivka -- I'm firmly planted Stateside for the moment. My sister is ditching town (mutter thinks she needs an ocean to study oceanography mutter complain mutter) but I'm sticking around for a while yet.

Thanks for the offer and the links (you too, Paul). I'm starting German this fall, but I suppose I could do some lanuage stuff over the summer too... (Have I mentioned yet that I'm insane? wink ) I'll let you know when I go for it and then complain to you when it's hard. laugh

Bethy
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 04/29/03 10:19 PM
Bethy, you mentioned on IRC that you're sister is headed to CA. Where? (if you don't mind my asking)
Posted By: Bethy Re: Posting and language topics - 04/30/03 11:28 AM
<sob> Best sister in the world is ditching me. And all because she needs an ocean to do oceanography/marine biology. What, the Great Lakes aren't good enough for her? So what that she wants to work with cetaceans?

Okay, rant over. goofy

Actually, she's going to the San Francisco Bay Area for a little over a year to live with my aunt, work, and establish residency. Then, next fall she'll go down south (probably San Diego, but she doesn't know for sure yet) and finish college. And she leaves tomorrow morning!!!! eek whinging

Bethy (who realized that her sister is her best friend and that she doesn't want her sister to leave for good. Summer vacation is allowed. For good isn't. whinging )
Posted By: AnnieM Re: Posting and language topics - 04/30/03 12:27 PM
Wow, lots of things to address here. I'm gonna have to number them to try to keep them organized.

1) Post your stories anywhere you want. Some people post both places, some post only one or the other. It's entirely up to the author.

2) I'd love to read more Spanish fics. My Spanish is not very good, but I'm always looking for fun ways to practice. Sometimes it's really nice if there is an English translation available for those of us who get stuck and need help, or for stories written in languages we can't speak. I really like to look at the other foreign language stories, but English and Spanish are the only two I can comprehend.

3) Bethy, I know you are really sad about your sister, and I'm really sorry. If you want to talk, just let me know. Also, if you want to learn Hebrew, you might want to talk to Sarah. I know she went to Hebrew school when she was younger and still speaks it fairly well. She's tried to teach me occassionally, but it doesn't stick. <G> Also, Paul's suggestion of Hillel is a great one. Many of my friends are in my campus' chapter of Hillel and I know they have some connections to local Hebrew schools, etc.

Annie
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 04/30/03 05:28 PM
<hugs> Bethy.

North of me and south of me, huh? We have coastline here too, y'know. wink
Posted By: Bethy Re: Posting and language topics - 05/01/03 08:45 AM
Thanks for the hug and support, Rivka and Annie. I'm happy for my sister because she's excited and she wants to do this. I'm just sad for me.

And, Rivka, I just had a great idea. I'll come visit my sis and then we can come to LA and play. laugh It's funny because my brother's first assignment after he graduated from the Air Force Academy was Edwards AFB, which is north of LA. And now my sis is planning on south of LA. And I still haven't made it to Disneyland! eek

Bethy (who is watching comedies and working on her post count to distract herself. Only four hours until I can go to dance and push my body for the first time in two weeks. That will be distracting, too.)
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 05/01/03 05:57 PM
Cool! Let me know when you work out the details. smile
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 05/01/03 06:01 PM
/me realizes she'd better think of an on-topic comment...

Um, I don't remember much of my HS Spanish, but I'd be willing to try to read a fic in Spanish.
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: Posting and language topics - 05/02/03 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Shadow:
Which is ironic considering the fact that I recall spanish being spoken quite a lot in my grandmother's house when I was little.
Don't feel bad, Shadow. German was spoken a lot in my grandparents' house when I was growing up, but the only thing I remember is "Oma-ma" and "Opa-pa", which is slang...not even real German!

I took French in high school (only 'cause they didn't offer German) and I really should practice it more. What better way than with LnC fic? laugh

And I'm one of those people who only read these mb, so please don't skimp on the postings here!
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 05/05/03 01:02 AM
Found another site that can help with learning the Hebrew alphabet online, here .
Posted By: rivka Re: Posting and language topics - 05/05/03 01:15 AM
Oooh, and this one! thumbsup
Posted By: Melisma Re: Posting and language topics - 05/05/03 02:15 AM
Well, I've bookmarked both of these, Rivka. The first one even has a basic course in Judaism, which is more down my alley than learning Hebrew...

Melisma (going back to getting ready for school to start tomorrow, here under her Rock)
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards