Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Randi Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 11/19/12 03:46 PM
I'm one of those rare folks who like a well written Superman death-fic. A vision of a dark future where good does not necessarily win out.

I found a tantalizing death-fic here from years ago that only had 1 chapter. It was intriguing with lots of questions. Like who did it and would Lois bring that person to justice. E-mailed the author asking if she might finish it but never got a reply.

Then, just last week, I read a dark shocking death-fic. One chapter. Incredibly well written. A tragedy like a train-wreck you don't want to see but can't help but watch. One of the best Superman fics I've read. Incredibly talented author.

Luthor at his crulest. And Luthor wins. He gains financially in a macabre way from defeating Superman. You can't imagine what the author wrote. But it was so well done that the story is justified in itself. It could well become a graphic novel.

The reviewers, all Superman fans, are saying things like this:

"Ouch. I can totally see Luthor pulling that "for the good of humanity" if he ever won. Reminds me of that very disturbing story my grandmother once told me about when she visited the memorial sites in Auschwitz. Apparently, they had soap made of human fat and a lampshade made from human skin. Goes to show the level of contempt and superiority complex, and, in the case of Luthor/your story, his desire to hammer home that his archnemesis isn't human.

morbid, but poignant enough to justify it."

The story is that stunning.

So, are any authors up to a Superman death-fic?
Try Mouserocks' fic "Distraught." It's not really a fic where evil wins out. It's more about Clark's mental breakdown after Lois and their baby die. It's set like 6 months after the fact. Anyway, really well done, very emotional.
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 11/19/12 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
Try Mouserocks' fic "Distraught." It's not really a fic where evil wins out. It's more about Clark's mental breakdown after Lois and their baby die. It's set like 6 months after the fact. Anyway, really well done, very emotional.
As you may know Chakram, death-fics have their origin with the co-creator of Superman. Jerry Siegal.

He wrote a vision of how the never-ending battle would end. It was a dark future in his final Supes story with Superman lying dead, glowing green, while a triumphant Luthor stood over him.

Few know of that. That the creators did not see a happy ending to the Superman saga. They were Jewish and saw what Germany had done to Jews in WW2. They transposed that into their "final" Superman story. The ascendancy of evil over good.

A dark future informed by their time.

So, based on what the creators envisioned, I do think there is a place for Superman death-fic. As with the story I mentioned, it can be some of the most compeling and poignant Superman fic.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 11/19/12 08:09 PM
Although I don't particularly like deathfics, I have written a couple. (mine, though, both have Clark trying to adjust to Lois' death.)

A clarification on something you wrote, Randi. The "Death of Superman" story was in Superman issue 149. It's been a while since I read it, but IIRC, it had been clearly labeled as an imaginary story. Also, it was definitely not the last story written by Siegel; or, at least, it wasn't his last published story. It was published in November of 1961. A quick perusal of mycomicshop.com shows that his scripts were used in new comic books for several years later.

As powerful as that story was, it was not Siegel's final word on his creation.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 11/19/12 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Although I don't particularly like deathfics, I have written a couple. (mine, though, both have Clark trying to adjust to Lois' death.)

A clarification on something you wrote, Randi. The "Death of Superman" story was in Superman issue 149. It's been a while since I read it, but IIRC, it had been clearly labeled as an imaginary story. Also, it was definitely not the last story written by Siegel; or, at least, it wasn't his last published story. It was published in November of 1961. A quick perusal of mycomicshop.com shows that his scripts were used in new comic books for several years later.

As powerful as that story was, it was not Siegel's final word on his creation.

Joy,
Lynn
True.

DC comics needed to continue with the next week's Superman story.

It was called an imaginary tale in those days. They would call it Elseworlds today.

But it was the creator's vision of how the never ending battle would end. If indeed they were to write the final Superman story 'The Death of Superman' would have been it.

Now I am not saying that is how the story has to end. But I am saying that is how it could end and that there is a place for death fic with Luthor/evil/darkness triumphant. And frankly there are not enough fanfic writers willing to go there. For obvious reasons.

Superman #149 is the final story the creators would have written. If they had had a final story to write. But they didn't. it was out of their hands by then and bigger than them.

The fic I referenced is such a story. Dark, brutal, macabre but in the spirit of Siegal's "Death of Superman".
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 11/20/12 04:50 AM
This is the first time I've heard this view, Randi. I'm curious, have you read an interview with Seigel in which he said that that would be his choice of ending, or are you just speculating? To be honest, I'm hoping the latter.

As I mentioned, I have written a couple of deathfics myself, but I would not want anyone to assume from those two works (especially the darker If Looks Could Kill ) that that was how I would actually want to have L&C end. My muse simply gave me two stories that I found too compelling to ignore. Perhaps Siegel was the same way?

And no, I am not in ignorance of the battle between Superman's creators and DC. I realize that, rightly or wrongly (I don't think the situation is quite as clear cut as some make it out to be), Siegel and Shuster both felt that DC did wrong by them financially. I also know that a lot of Shuster's other illustrations were, to put it delicately, not a force for good. But neither of these means that Siegel necessarily had the fatalistic attitude you infer from his imaginary story.

And regarding the Jewish mindset: Yes, evil frequently does win out in the short-term -- the ascendancy of Nazi-ism leading up to and during WWII being an excellent example thereof -- but ultimately, the Messiah will come and good will triumph. (At least, that is the message I learned in all the Sunday school classes I went to growing up Jewish.)

I'm not saying you are wrong in what you wrote, Randi -- I honestly don't know whether you are; but I am saying that I hope you are wrong. It would be a sad irony if you were right.

Joy,
Lynn
You know, Lynn, your comment that "the Messiah will come and good will triumph" reminds me of a Superman (and Lois) deathfic and its sequel. In the one story, they die in some kind of nuclear meltdown involving kryptonite. And in the sequel, their son (which they left when he was quite young) takes up the mantle of Superman. If only I could remember the titles...
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 11/27/12 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
You know, Lynn, your comment that "the Messiah will come and good will triumph" reminds me of a Superman (and Lois) deathfic and its sequel. In the one story, they die in some kind of nuclear meltdown involving kryptonite. And in the sequel, their son (which they left when he was quite young) takes up the mantle of Superman. If only I could remember the titles...
As the odd duck here who enjoys Superman deathfics when well written, I recall the story you are referring to (there are so few deathfics here it's easy to recall). It's called The End of The Beginning. Well-written and poignant.

one
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/02/12 12:45 PM
The boards are generally about love and hope and a bright future.

Nothing is given however, death-fics have a place.

They can be among the most touching/profound/horrid stories told. But they have a place.

Warning - not for the faint of heart. But this fic touched me like only 2 or 3 Superman fics have.

Again, this is not for the faint of heart.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8700173/1/Lex-Luthor-Triumphant

My deathfic challenge would have it be someone besides Luthor who kills Superman. Someone surprising. The reasons as to why are what would make the story compelling. And maybe hard to write.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/06/12 10:26 PM
Randi, from the sounds of things, you and I would appear to be kindred spirits. laugh I absolutely ADORE a good death fic. Happy endings have their place, of course, and it seems to be what the general concensus likes best, but for me, I'll take a sob story any day. Really it's the emotion that gets to me the most (WAFFy stuff can have that emotion, but the haunting stuff is what, well, haunts you I suppose). At the risk of sounding like a sociopath, I really do enjoy writing and reading a good deathfic. wink

blush blush Thanks for the compliment. That one does go really dark, and you might actually like it, but I get the sense you're looking for something a little bit... more. To which I say... I do have more. Unpublished more. There's a couple I have in the works that are kind of in the same vein you're looking for that maybe I'll give a second look over and see if I can brush up/finish up for the boards. All I can say is be careful what you wish for... I can be evil. devil
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/06/12 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Randi:
The boards are generally about love and hope and a bright future.

They can be among the most touching/profound/horrid stories told. But they have a place.

Warning - not for the faint of heart. But this fic touched me like only 2 or 3 Superman fics have.

My deathfic challenge would have it be someone besides Luthor who kills Superman. Someone surprising. The reasons as to why are what would make the story compelling. And maybe hard to write.
Ooh. Eerie... I liked this a lot. Thsnks for the rec!
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/08/12 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
[b] The boards are generally about love and hope and a bright future.

Ooh. Eerie... I liked this a lot. Thsnks for the rec! [/b]
eerie yes but among the most powerful Superman fics I've read.

Here is another deathfic that is quite good:

'My Name Is Clark'

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/6952444/1/
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/08/12 10:51 AM
Randi, from the sounds of things, you and I would appear to be kindred spirits. laugh I absolutely [b]ADORE a good death fic. Happy endings have their place, of course, and it seems to be what the general concensus likes best, but for me, I'll take a sob story any day. Really it's the emotion that gets to me the most (WAFFy stuff can have that emotion, but the haunting stuff is what, well, haunts you I suppose). At the risk of sounding like a sociopath, I really do enjoy writing and reading a good deathfic. wink

blush blush Thanks for the compliment. That one does go really dark, and you might actually like it, but I get the sense you're looking for something a little bit... more. To which I say... I do have more. Unpublished more. There's a couple I have in the works that are kind of in the same vein you're looking for that maybe I'll give a second look over and see if I can brush up/finish up for the boards. All I can say is be careful what you wish for... I can be evil. devil [/b]
Indeed kindred spirits.

Like the happy fic/relationship stories but a good deathfic (Superman dying) can be more powerful. I am not a socio-path either - LOL! Quite a happy camper actually. smile Still, the drama/emotion make such stories so more powerful generally - IMO.

The Puzzle pieces fic which was not continued by the author but was intriguing.

Superman shot to death (riddled with kryptonite bullets) by someone he sees but the reader doesn't and he was shocked by whom it was as far as I can tell from the 1 chapter.

Not Luthor then. In my vision it would be Lana or Jimmy and the story would be what brought either of these two to end up killing Superman.

Lana would be the easier story - scorned love/jealousy. Jimmy now that would be a complex tale to write.

Oh, please do finish up your works and post them - if you have the time.
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/08/12 10:54 AM
[qb] Randi, from the sounds of things, you and I would appear to be kindred spirits. laugh I absolutely [b]ADORE
a good death fic. Happy endings have their place, of course, and it seems to be what the general concensus likes best, but for me, I'll take a sob story any day. Really it's the emotion that gets to me the most (WAFFy stuff can have that emotion, but the haunting stuff is what, well, haunts you I suppose). At the risk of sounding like a sociopath, I really do enjoy writing and reading a good deathfic. wink

Originally posted by Deadly Chakram: [QUOTE] Try Mouserocks' fic "Distraught." It's not really a fic where evil wins out. It's more about Clark's mental breakdown after Lois and their baby die. It's set like 6 months after the fact. Anyway, really well done, very emotional.
blush blush Thanks for the compliment. That one does go really dark, and you might actually like it, but I get the sense you're looking for something a little bit... more. To which I say... I do have more. Unpublished more. There's a couple I have in the works that are kind of in the same vein you're looking for that maybe I'll give a second look over and see if I can brush up/finish up for the boards. All I can say is be careful what you wish for... I can be evil. devil [/b]
Not Lois either - the story would involve her tracking down the true murderer.
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/08/12 11:01 AM
[b]
[qb] Randi, from the sounds of things, you and I would appear to be kindred spirits. laugh I absolutely [b]ADORE
a good death fic. Happy endings have their place, of course, and it seems to be what the general concensus likes best, but for me, I'll take a sob story any day. Really it's the emotion that gets to me the most (WAFFy stuff can have that emotion, but the haunting stuff is what, well, haunts you I suppose). At the risk of sounding like a sociopath, I really do enjoy writing and reading a good deathfic. wink

Originally posted by Deadly Chakram: [QUOTE] Try Mouserocks' fic "Distraught." It's not really a fic where evil wins out. It's more about Clark's mental breakdown after Lois and their baby die. It's set like 6 months after the fact. Anyway, really well done, very emotional.
Not Lois either - the story would involve her tracking down the true murderer. Discovering Luthor had been framed for the murder. [/b]
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/08/12 11:06 AM
[b]
[b] The boards are generally about love and hope and a bright future.

Ooh. Eerie... I liked this a lot. Thsnks for the rec! [/b]
eerie yes but among the most powerful Superman fics I've read.

Here is another deathfic that is quite good:

'My Name Is Clark'

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/6952444/1/ [/b]
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/08/12 11:07 AM
Sorry for double posts. Can't seem to delete them. Weird. But then i'm sure some here think I'm weird cause I enjoy death-fics. LOL!

BTW, how does one delete a post? The option says edit/delete but when I got into that choice couldn't find a delete fuction.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/08/12 01:59 PM
You can edit a post, Randi, but only Admins/Mods can delete posts. If you need a post deleted you can mail me or PM me and I'll do that for you. :-)

LabRat :-)
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/09/12 11:01 AM
Ooh. Eerie... I liked this a lot. Thsnks for the rec!
Saw your review. Quite good. You should get a reply from the author.

I didn't review but PM'd the author. He is thinking of a follow-up like 5 years later.

W/o giving too much away, there are questions about the harvesting, brain and tear.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/13/12 01:38 AM
Found this for you. smile More part(s) posted soon. It's fairly dark, though not to the level of that one story. /shudders still/
Kill Your Heroes
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/13/12 09:37 AM
Found this for you. smile More part(s) posted soon. It's fairly dark, though not to the level of that one story. /shudders still/
Kill Your Heroes
Great first chapter. Thanks you! Left a comment on the other board.

The title of your tome reminds me of another Superman death-fic where humanity kills it's hero.

Fall of A God

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8186341/1/Fall-of-a-God
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 12/14/12 11:08 AM
A story idea for anyone who dares. Very bittersweet. As it should be. Mouserocks? Others?

I Didn't Know

Lois is writing Lex Luthor's obituary. He took his own life two days ago and left a terse note - "I didn't know". Lois knows but it will remain secret until she has passed on and her personal files are made public.

4 months ago:

Lex Luthor wanted everything perfect. He had reconnected with his boyhood friend Clark Kent after years of animosity. The past 6 months had been Lex's happiest since his boyhood. He and Clark attending basketball games, having a drink at the bar and talking over old times.

Tonight Lois had finally agreed to come to a dinner hosted by Lex with Clark. She was not happy with Clark's resumed friendship with Lex. She did not trust Lex.

A year ago:

Clark had decided the goodness that was Lex in his youth was still there. Waiting to be brought out. Superman prevented that from happening but Clark might be able to redeem Lex - as Clark and by renewing their friendship.

It had been as much a rewarding time for Clark as for Lex. Lex's criminal activities seemed to fall off. His anti-Superman traps while still happening were much less frequent than in previous years.

Two weeks before the dinner:

Luthor had been informed by his Cadmus mole that Superman might have learned of his control center 100 miles west of Metropolis. All Lex's plans, his technology, his "crimes" were archived there.

Lex made a decision. He'd laid off Superman pretty much for almost a year now. Maybe it was his rekindled friendship with Clark, but the alien and elimininating him was no longer the passion it had been. Still, Lex could not and would not allow Superman to learn his secrets. He raised his anti-Superman protocol to "red" in the control center. Activating weapons, technology and devices that Superman had no knowledge existed but that would do the trick if Superman broke into the center.

The dinner - 4 months ago:

Lois arrived first the night of the dinner. Escorted to the top of Metropolis's tallest tower Lex had the restaurant set aside for the party of 4. Lois told lex Clark would be there soon but had gotten a lead on a story he needed to check out.

After an hour Clark had not arrived and Lex suggested postponing the dinner. And announcing the surprise. He'd paid off the mortgage on the Kent farm and Clark's parents would be set for life.

Just then the tower rocked. Earthquake Lex thought.

In reality 100 miles west of Metropolis a massive explosion had occurred.

The next day:

Clark did not show up for work. Perry had Lois finish Clark's story on Superman's greatest feats. It needed to be posted that day.

The next day. Clark again didn't show for work. Clark Kent never showed up for work again.

A few months later Lex killed himself - "I didn't know" was all the suicide note said.

Lex had changed his trust just a day before he died. His massive empire worth hundreds of billions was donated to the Superman Memorial Society. Lois Lane, Martha and Jonathan Kent, Jimmy Olsen, Pete Ross and Lana Lang were named the trustees of the fund. That and the Kents were to be taken care of for life.
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 01/22/13 01:52 PM
I know only a few on these boards are following this incredible death-fic. Anyway, FYI - the author has decided to continue the story.

Not for the faint of heart but arguably among the best Superman fics out there.

Lex Luthor Triumphant - chapter 2. devil

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8700173/2/Lex-Luthor-Triumphant
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/02/13 11:48 AM
For those following this incredibly well written and tragic fic, chapter 3 is up.

No Superman in this chapter. No blood or gore.

Only Lex finally breaking into the Fortress after 6 months of trying.

The author does an incredible job of describing everything in the Fortresss. Each room and all.

The poignant part of this chapter is a room in the Fortress dedicated to Lois with momentos and a photo of their first flight. Enough to make any Lois and Clark romantic cry.

Other rooms and discoveries as to Superman's inner thoughts and desires. His hopes that were never to come to pass.

BTW, the author is an incredible writer. This reads like a novel.

Lex Luthor Triumphant chapter 3:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8700173/3/Lex-Luthor-Triumphant
Posted By: Morgana Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/04/13 11:12 AM
Don't know if I can read deathfics right now.
Posted By: KenJ Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/05/13 04:21 PM
Hi Morgana,

I can sympathize since I have the inside scoop.

I had a hard time writing the two that I've written.
Posted By: Morgana Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/05/13 08:24 PM
Agreed.

Reading about death of anyone or thing is not on my radar these days.

I changed my own deathfic to one with hope and a slight touch of humor between Lois and Clark.
Posted By: Nan Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/09/13 05:37 PM
I don't read deathfic.

I read and write fanfic and original stories for entertainment, to escape from the nasty realities of real life. If I want to feel bad, all I need to do is read the news. I don't need to find a story to read about the death of people I like.

To those who do, I mean no incivility, but I will never knowingly read a deathfic, and when I have been tricked into doing so, I feel nothing but anger at the person who so tricked me.

Nan
Posted By: Meadowrose Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/09/13 08:03 PM
Nan, do you have any new fanfic in the pipeline?
Posted By: Nan Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/09/13 11:53 PM
Yes, but I am still working sporadically on finishing the Vampire Murders, and then Smallville, the concluding story (at least so far) to the Four Days to Nightfall series.

After that, I have one started that is tentatively entitled Supergirl, the next story in the Dagger series, and one as yet untitled which is the next story in the Vacation series. As well as a couple of ideas for single stories.

The only difficulty is trying to find time to actually write.

Nan

PS: my apologies to going off topic to the thread.

Nan
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/10/13 09:07 AM
No problem going off-topic.

I understand on the L&C boards it's the odd duck such as myself and Mouserocks who enjoy a well written death-fic.

I was sure to put plenty of warnings when I referenced the story. Not for everyone.

It is getting a tremoudous reception on the other board but death-fics are fairly common there. There are like 3 or so of them right now on the first page of the Superman board over there.

The author, despite the subject, is incredibly talented. He is touching on every element in the Superman lore. Comics, TV, films.

The story arguably ranks there with All Star Superman by Grant Morrison. One of the most acclaimed graphic novels in recent years. Coincidentally it's a death-fic in which Luthor kills Superman.

The author is being encouraged to submit a story proposal to DC and maybe novelize his fic or one of his other story concepts.

I don't know if that is wise. If he submits it to DC as a spec I think he gives up rights to his work.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. My apologies if this thread offended you.

Originally posted by Nan:
Yes, but I am still working sporadically on finishing the Vampire Murders, and then Smallville, the concluding story (at least so far) to the Four Days to Nightfall series.

After that, I have one started that is tentatively entitled Supergirl, the next story in the Dagger series, and one as yet untitled which is the next story in the Vacation series. As well as a couple of ideas for single stories.

The only difficulty is trying to find time to actually write.

Nan

PS: my apologies to going off topic to the thread.

Nan
Posted By: Nan Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/10/13 11:43 AM
It didn't offend me, but I have found that unless I am very direct, many individuals cannot comprehend that I really mean what I say about deathfics. I won't read them, period, full stop. There have been a few persons in the past who tricked me into reading them, on the premise, I think, that once I read them I'd change my mind. All it did was make me furious.

It was somewhat like my son's English teacher in 9th grade who called me, at her wit's end, because my son absolutely refused, point blank, to read some book she had assigned him.

I asked: "Does the hero die at the end?" (I know English assignments. For some reason the schools love to have their heroes die.)

She said that he did. The story was about a boy with leukemia. I told her that was the problem. Alan simply refused to read that kind of book. She told me, "Well, yes, he dies, but all these wonderful things happen first." I said: "Yes, but he still dies at the end."

"Well, yes," she told me, "but he gets this great friend, and helps out so and so, and reconciles his divorcing parents, and..."

And I said, "But he dies at the end. Alan doesn't care about all these other great things. All he cares about is that somebody that he has gotten to like dies at the end. That's the sticking point, and you will not change his mind. He will take a failing grade before he will read a story where the hero dies."

It took a lot of convincing, but eventually she told me that she would give him an alternate assignment, which he did without the slightest objection. I had never tried to shape Alan's views on the subject, but right from the time he started reading, he hated stories where the hero dies, and he will not negotiate. I am exactly the same way, but sometimes it is awfully hard to communicate that to someone else.

So, as I said, I wasn't offended. I was just being direct so there would be no misunderstanding. Any other work of yours I will willingly read. But no deathfics.

Nan
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/10/13 02:49 PM
My story "Another Dimension, Another Time, Another Lois" is technically a deathfic, in the fact that Clark isn't alive in it (it starts out with Tempus succeeding in killing baby Kal-El in "Tempus Fugitive"). The story is more about how Lois would have coped, and fended for herself, with all that happens to her at the end of S2 and into S3 without Clark around (without knowing that he should have been around, too), and whether learning that Clark should have been there would drive her insane. Of course, since there's never been a Superman in this dimension a lot of other people die or get injured who survived in canon. The story isn't about Clark dying, but about Lois surviving long enough to be able to save Clark from dying in the first place. I cannot say more without ruining the ending of Book 1, and since Book 2 (of the Wrong Trilogy) is still a work in progress, I cannot tell you if she is ever successful in her endeavors.

Like Nan, normally I cannot read a story where a beloved character dies (and why I hated "Lovely Bones" and thought it a horrible, horrible story, unlike the majority of readers and critics). I would rather a death mean something, as in Mouserocks's "Distraught" and "Mr. Kent is Dead" stories, than just because you've got a really cool way to kill off a character, horror for horror sake, or it's just something that happens. There also has to be closure, the other characters have to be able to come to terms with the death in a way that gives the reader hope, otherwise it's pointless.

More often than not, I'll give a deathfic a pass, because I want a happily ever after. If I wanted to be depressed, there's enough of that in RL.
I don't mind death in a story, so long as it works. I used to read a lot of the Lurlene McDaniel books when I was a kid - someone always died in those. And I LOVE Where The Red Fern Grows, in which the boy's dogs both die. I cry everytime, but I love the story.

That being said, for some reason, I don't really go for it in fics, unless it is something that comes at the end. I can't really get into a fic where Lois or Clark are dead from the get-go. (Mouse's Distraught being an exception, since Lois is dead from the start.)
Posted By: Randi Re: Superman deathfic challenge anyone? - 02/11/13 10:11 AM
Daeth-fics can be the most powerful and poignant of stories. If that death has a real meaning.

The most popular Superman comic book story of the past 15 years was All Star Superman by Morrision.

It shows have Superman's career will eventually end. Luthor poisons him. He is slowly dying and knows it. He does a final 12 great feats for humanity.

But the perfect closure found in this story comes at the end. A by product of the poisoning is that Superman's strength is amplified many fold. In the end a massive sun like force is heading to Earth and will destroy it. Superman with his increaded power level flies into space and stops it. Dying in the process. Ironically it's the increased power level that allows him to stop it. If he hadn't been poisoned he would not have been able to do it. Earth would have been destroyed.

Perfect closure to the never ending battle. Jor-El wasn't able to save Krypton and dies trying to. Superman dies but in the process saves Earth.

The last panel has Lois sitting in a park beneath the Superman memorial. While her loss is the most personal of all she sees children playing, the green tress - life going on. All because of Superman.

Powerful and poignant.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards