Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 08:06 AM
I'm trying to make these nice and simple so that you guys can find lots of different things to write about but that still fit the show. If you are ready for some harder ones let me know. smile I've got a few. devil

If you don't know the rules go here to read them.

This weeks theme: Truth

CUTTOFF DATE: 5/13/07
Posted By: bakasi Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 10:17 AM
Nice topic, jojo. Here my take laugh

------------------------------------

Truth

His whole life through, he had searched for truth. So far he had thought he knew what was true and what wasn’t. It had seemed rather simple. A duck was a duck if it looked like one and sounded like one. Priests told the truth, at least they were supposed to. There were people he could trust like “Sore Throat” and others he couldn’t. Politicians for example were certainly the latter kind of people. The sun was the centre of the solar system and Elvis was the King and definitely dead. And he knew that men couldn’t fly, didn't he?
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 12:06 PM
Very nice, Bakasi. smile

c.
Posted By: Wendymr Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 06:22 PM
Hindsight

Truth. Justice. They sound like good things to stand for.

Rash words, said rashly to a woman he badly wants to impress. And it doesn’t stop there.

Does he have a name? Superman seems to have caught on.

Where is he from? How did he get to Earth? Where does he go when he’s not saving people? Does the Suit come off? Questions, so many questions he can’t, won’t answer. So many evasions.

“Superman, is there any hope for us? I am so completely in love with you.”

It’s just as well he never said that Superman stands for truth.

End
Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 06:41 PM
Truth

'Ignorance is bliss.' She despised that saying. She dedicated her life to a ruthless pursuit of facts, risking everything to discover them, even her own life. She had clawed her way to the top of her profession, never looking back, never regretting, and always, always finding the truth.

The truth was, she knew he was lying. The truth was, she knew she could uncover whatever he was hiding if she tried hard enough. The truth was, knowing could destroy her image of the only decent man. The truth was, she didn't want to know. The truth was...ignorance is bliss.
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 08:57 PM
YAY!!! More people are taking on the challenge. You ladies always amaze me with what you come up with for these challenges. thumbsup I have to admit though this one struck me the other day while I was driving and I had to do it. Here is mine:

------------
Truth:

It was going to kill her and all the trust she had ever placed in him.

She was no fool. She knew he was hiding something. Using his x-ray vision he looked into her apartment and saw her pacing the length of her living room, mumbling to herself. He imagined by now she had gone through every horrible scenario possible in her head to brace herself for what was about to come.

His last thought before descending to her apartment was that that the truth was going to be much worse than anything she could ever imagine him doing.

------------

This struck me when I was listening to a song by Fall Out Boy. There is a line in one of their songs: "The truth is worse than anything I could bring myself to do to you."

It kinda fit this situation. It isn't the worse thing Clark could have done but it is the worse thing he could ever bring himself to do to her and that is to lie to her knowing how men have done that to her in the past. Anyway enough rambling on my part.
Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 09:02 PM
Oooo, I've loved all of yours!

This struck me when I was listening to a song by Fall Out Boy. There is a line in one of their songs: "The truth is worse than anything I could bring myself to do to you."
I was just listening to that song and comparing it to Lois and Clark in my head, too! I love that line.
Posted By: Dandello Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/13/07 09:30 PM
Here's my contribution:
-------------------------------------------

Truth, justice, all that jazz. Superman did not lie. That’s what she wrote, and in so doing made it the truth. Only Superman was a lie, a fiction, a character in a play that used the world as a stage. He wasn’t real. Or if he was real, he wasn’t the Truth, the Whole Truth, nothing but the Truth.

The Truth: the fellow in the blue tights was named Clark Kent, an orphan born on a planet named Krypton and raised in Kansas. The truth shall set you free. Not likely.

She hadn’t said a word to him since 1866.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/14/07 04:39 AM
These are all fantastic, so far. clap clap

LabRat smile
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/14/07 06:25 PM
This is 100 words exactly, not including the dashes. Hope it makes sense:

It was better not to tell them. Why ruin a perfectly good marriage with something like this? And it was a good marriage---who could fault her for this one indiscretion? No, the truth would only bring pain. A knock at the door---he drifts down from where he was floating in mid-air and lies on his bed. He grabs a book and pretends to be reading. “Come In.”

His Dad. Dinner will be ready soon. Some small talk. The door closes.

-------------

Clark pauses. No, it’s better not to tell him. He’ll never develop powers, anyway. Why burden him with the truth?

And here's another one, 100 words:

“The Truth, Clark!” She’d had it. Enough was enough.

Clark knew it. He could see the anger in her eyes. It was time to confess. No, scratch that. It was *past* time to confess. Contrite, he sheepishly looked up and met her gaze. “Lois,” he began, his voice unsteady, “I’m Superman.”

Lois glared at him, her silence somehow flaying Clark more than her words could have.

“I was going to tell you,” he fumbled. It was no good, though. He was toast.

“Oh?” she snapped. “When?!”

Above them, their little daughter squealed in delight while turning somersaults in the air.

cool
Posted By: Shadow Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/14/07 07:35 PM
Truth.

It had an extremely dangerous ring to it.

Rightly so. After all this time…after everything they just went through, she had a right to know the truth. To *expect* the truth.

More than a right.

An outright demand.

She nearly gave her life without ever truly knowing him.

To have the audacity to say anything otherwise was unthinkable.

And yet, here. Now. Their first real conversation after her recovery, he was about to do the unthinkable. She could see it in his eyes from the moment he sat her down in the drizzling rain.

“Lois, will you marry me?”
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/16/07 02:39 AM
I loved the stories so far and couldn't resist trying my hand on a drabble again.

The Truth

She was standing in front of the big mirror, wearing her white wedding gown. Somehow, this didn't feel right. Gingerly, she was trying her name as a married woman. It simply didn't have the right sound to it. She tried it again. Still wrong. Tears were streaming down her face. It just didn't want to fit her. Again, she tried, but instead of the words she intended to say, her mouth formed different ones: Lois Lane Kent. That was when the truth hit her, that she loved Clark Kent, that Clark was the only man who could make her happy.
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 04/24/07 08:26 AM
The truth. Just tell her the truth. That's always a good thing, right? All he had to say was 'Lois, I like you. More than a friend!' The worst thing she could do was say she didn't like him back, right?

Deep breath, inhale exhale, and here we go.

"Hey Lois, I-"

"Hey Jimmy, do you think you could do some research on this EPRAD scandal for me?"

The young gopher sighed, then smiled brightly. "Sure thing."

Oh well, there was always tomorrow.
Posted By: BJ Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 08/25/07 10:40 PM
I know I'm late on this one, but since it hasn't been posted to the archive yet, it's still fair game, yes? 100 words.

~~~~~

No one had known Veeda Doodson’s machine would take such a harsh toll, but at forty-five, I look like an old man. I fly through the open window and stumble.

She catches me before I fall. I wrap my arms around her and sigh, gazing into her concerned, still-youthful face.

“Almost didn’t make it.” I shake my head, despondent at my body’s rate of decay.

Lois squeezes me in understanding. “I love you,” she whispers.

“How can you …? ”

Her lips shush me. A timeless heartbeat later, she reminds me of a forgotten truth.

“It’s the moments that count.”

~~~~~

A/N: I started writing about Lois' aging concerns, when I wondered how Clark would feel if the tables were turned. Voila! After much cutting down, a drabble was born. 100 words is hard sometimes, you know?

BJ
Posted By: cookiesmom Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 09/04/07 02:40 PM
He had promised never to lie to her again. And he’d held to that promise, for the past twenty-five years. To protect his secret, he’d had to lie to others. And each time, he hated it. She could see the signs. Superman didn’t lie.

It was different for her. Deception came easily—-it was what had made her so successful at undercover investigations—-but she couldn’t lie to him either. Through twenty-five years, four kids, two houses, and countless adventures, they’d always been completely honest with each other.

So why did she ask him if he thought she looked fat?
Posted By: symbolicangel Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 09/05/07 11:39 PM
I must be in a *really* weird mood tonight. Warning: I might even be sleep deprived!

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

“The truth shall set you free…blah, blah, blah!” Lois muttered to herself. No one had warned her that the *truth* would bring galactic stupidity of epic proportions to light! She could already envision that breakfast cereal Tempus had talked about.

No doubt, the famous cereal of the future had little marshmallow-shaped glasses, capes, and wild ties. If they really wanted to be creative they could add a little marshmallow-shaped block of cheese in honor of one of the lamest excuses she’d ever heard.

And Tempus had the nerve to call *her* galactically stupid? Come on! Cheese of the month club!
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Drabble Challenge: #7 Truth - 01/10/08 09:40 PM
45 words:

Lois’s thoughts bubbled to boiling point with the water below her. Yes! She knew he couldn’t have caused this crisis, and now everyone else would know it too. The proof was well and truly in the pudding—or the aquifer, as the case may be.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards